Speedrun Event General - AGDQ Up! - Exceptional people play games really fast

cattle rancher

kiwifarms.net
Can we really call something that takes 9 hours to finish a speedrun? These runs should be unallowed.

It should be 3 hours max for random games, and 5 hours for extremely popular games, which is not the case of some old ass Final Fantasy.
I assume they have to put a FF game on. XIV is one of their big sponsors, they dont advertise all of the time, and its a great time to plug their MMO, right after, and before one of their main series games. Notice the runners also explain all of the plot that gets missed due to how fast they go? I am sure SE asks them to do that. It also only makes sense for SE to fund awful genders done quick. Exceptional individuals and troons are one of their biggest markets. Getting more of them to play, and buy cash shop items is for sure in their interest. Also do remember FF games are popular with a lot of the weebs, troons and autists who watch shit like this. They are boring runs but I am theres enough of a following who just wants to watch shit like JRPGs that they actually keep some viewers at the otherwise dead hours they show it.

I don't see final fantasy not being run at a GDQ event until SE stops handing them money. It makes too much sense for both parties, even if it hurts the viewer experience over all.

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
They do it for two reasons, neither of which is sponsorship. The event tries to represent the whole of speedrunning, and RPG runs are part of that. Since these runs are so long, they compromise by only having one per marathon and sticking it in the middle of the night. They also rotate out the runners by disc, so in that sense they are really having three smaller runs from that community.

The second reason is that its hard to get donations at night, so they stick long, popular runs there in order to at least drum up some interest from FF/DQ/GTA/Zelda fans. If you read this thread for long enough you'll probably notice me being a pissy baby about them repeatedly having long-ass Wind Waker runs. They do it because the game gets absolutely stacked donation totals, even at two in the morning.

Rivalo

kiwifarms.net
Went back in time to start watching the Terraria run at 30 minutes in (which is apparently where shit starts hitting the fan.) This is pure kino.
Haha no, mercy killed. By the end of it he was taking advice from the donates and crowd.
I am seriously not surprised by this, the moment I heard there was going to be a Terraria run I was betting it was going to fail. For those that aren't aware, there are a lot of good Terraria speedruns on YouTube, but those require a lot of practice on the seed, and a lot of luck on the moment. All of them require a lot of retries, and if any specific thing goes wrong, it has to be restarted. The planets would have to align for a Terraria run to go well on the first go in a marathon event.

On a different note, troons have discovered the FFVIII runner, and they're not happy (Archive).
1578514018458.png
1578514043894.png

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
I am seriously not surprised by this, the moment I heard there was going to be a Terraria run I was betting it was going to fail. For those that aren't aware, there are a lot of good Terraria speedruns on YouTube, but those require a lot of practice on the seed, and a lot of luck on the moment. All of them require a lot of retries, and if any specific thing goes wrong, it has to be restarted. The planets would have to align for a Terraria run to go well on the first go in a marathon event.

On a different note, troons have discovered the FFVIII runner, and they're not happy (Archive).
View attachment 1088945
View attachment 1088946
Even better is stubbornsticks hidding replies kekekeke.

Gamepad

kiwifarms.net
Most minorities I see in the gaming scene is are playing fighting games or madden/nba neither of which get showcased at a GDQ event therefore you get mostly white folks. Most SJW/LGBTQLMNOP are white its not a mystery of why it is the way it is.
You do have to be able to take the heat and dish it in the higher FGC.

The lower scene does yield legends, though:

Bitch cried crocodile tears until videos came out, and her mark ass white orbiters are calling for a DQ on that dude in the background.

BuckBumble

kiwifarms.net
This Japanese shmup run (somethingsama Futari) went 10 minutes over estimate but holy crap I feel like my brain was fried after watching. The two commentators were loud and kept trying to force "JUICY" as a thing but even they were hyperventilating at points.
I think the runner's brain was fried too cause he gave some weirdass :story: style speech after he finished. I definitely did not expect that voice coming out of a dude that super plays something like this.
EDIT: Someone clipped it, here.

Also, now I remember the game he was playing, it was in all those old ass youtube videos titled "HARDEST BOSS EVER" and stuff.

Last edited:

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
This Japanese shmup run (somethingsama Futari) went 10 minutes over estimate but holy crap I feel like my brain was fried after watching. The two commentators were loud and kept trying to force "JUICY" as a thing but even they were hyperventilating at points.
I think the runner's brain was fried too cause he gave some weirdass :story: style speech after he finished. I definitely not expect that voice coming out of a dude that super plays something like this.
The speech was actually quoted from Charles Bukowski:

“If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don’t even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery–isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you’ll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.”
I suppose it's a fairly appropriate quote for the situation, but still.

Mushihimesama Futari is a pretty nutso run in any situation, least of all 1.01 Ultra Mode, but he did the game proud.

cattle rancher

kiwifarms.net
I absolutely love it. Like cancer gives a shit if the person is a fascist or a pinko, the charity also wouldn't care about money if people didn't make an issue about some money being bad. From what I saw of the run, I caught the end of it with that guy playing a bit I believe, he didn't talk much, and politics never came up.

For the shoot'em up, try to find better talent at that than that guy willing to show up. That was possibly the most impressive run I have ever seen at a GDQ event. That one tetris special shit they did like 3-4 years ago or whatever was close or equal. If you have someone capable of doing something only a very small handful of people on this planet are capable of doing, and he is confident about doing it live I think you take the risk, it puts on a good show. If they are willing to keep their political opinions silent while on camera so much the better. Personally after watching a top tier bullet hell player do his run i'd honestly like to see a lot more of that at GDQ, it was pretty impressive. Most runners do what only a few people are willing to do, that guy did something few people are able to do, and thats why its great the regular exceptional individuals are trying to shut him down. Its like if GDQ doesn't cover the walls in trans rights and commie flags that GDQ isn't leftist enough to take their money. If the exceptional individuals and gender specials don't want to give their money I think GDQ should just say fuck'em and cut them loose. They already cut whichever gender special on the staff kept getting their troon mafia friends as literally every other runner, I assume it was PMG, but I could be wrong. After doing that, I don't see the exceptional individuals ever coming back since its not awful genders done quick like it was.

Tags
kike uyama