Speedrun Event General - AGDQ Up! - Exceptional people play games really fast

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

AnotherPleb

kiwifarms.net
I am seriously not surprised by this, the moment I heard there was going to be a Terraria run I was betting it was going to fail. For those that aren't aware, there are a lot of good Terraria speedruns on YouTube, but those require a lot of practice on the seed, and a lot of luck on the moment. All of them require a lot of retries, and if any specific thing goes wrong, it has to be restarted. The planets would have to align for a Terraria run to go well on the first go in a marathon event.

On a different note, troons have discovered the FFVIII runner, and they're not happy (Archive).
View attachment 1088945
View attachment 1088946
Yeah, some personal lolcow troons were screeching about that for a good hour today. It was good for a few laughs.

Intelligent Calcium

kiwifarms.net
Relevant comment string in the FF8 thread on r/speedruns.

Aside from being a confirmed, vile anti-feminists, people are also calling him a literal nazi for supporting the Spanish political party Vox. I know nothing about Spanish politics so I can't really comment on that. Euro politics aside, surely a heartfelt apology from the management and a ban for the vile Spaniard are just over the horizon.

Davys Grey

kiwifarms.net
Didn't they do this with Luz last year during ff9? It was either that or when they were trying to get their teammate back after the gdq staff messed with the submission. Anyone remember?

edit: It was in the thread like three comments down. Claris brought it up during the teammate thing.

Ravelord

How quickly the tide turns
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Aside from being a confirmed, vile anti-feminists, people are also calling him a literal nazi for supporting the Spanish political party Vox. I know nothing about Spanish politics so I can't really comment on that. Euro politics aside, surely a heartfelt apology from the management and a ban for the vile Spaniard are just over the horizon.
Well, that make him the right wing equivalent of Podemos so... Eh. Both kinda play identity politics, Podemos focused on Gender (Sexist Pig REEEE) and Vox are more of the Race kind (Crime rates REEEEE). Obviously both of them are interpreting the statistics as they see fit. But from what they shown, it's only on their economic policies so I can't really tell if you could consider him some flavour of authoritarian or not.

Not like that's gonna stop the REEEEE squad so :story: :popcorn:

Rei is shit

kiwifarms.net

AGDQ banned him for 18 months.

EDIT: FUGGGGGGGGGGGG

The Real Taylor Swift

Nazi Princess of BMW
kiwifarms.net
This Japanese shmup run (somethingsama Futari) went 10 minutes over estimate but holy crap I feel like my brain was fried after watching. The two commentators were loud and kept trying to force "JUICY" as a thing but even they were hyperventilating at points.
I think the runner's brain was fried too cause he gave some weirdass :story: style speech after he finished. I definitely did not expect that voice coming out of a dude that super plays something like this.
EDIT: Someone clipped it, here.

Also, now I remember the game he was playing, it was in all those old ass youtube videos titled "HARDEST BOSS EVER" and stuff.
Hot take: This speech was real cool and good

Jimothy

kiwifarms.net
Here is one of the runners:
NB transfemme |sabertooth| Pan(Lesbian)+Grey-ace | 21 | dating @techliner1 @Alyx4077 @michikanesada | Member of FurtasticGG | D2 and Siege Speedrunner
There's a LOT to unpack here.

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For the shoot'em up, try to find better talent at that than that guy willing to show up. That was possibly the most impressive run I have ever seen at a GDQ event. That one tetris special shit they did like 3-4 years ago or whatever was close or equal. If you have someone capable of doing something only a very small handful of people on this planet are capable of doing, and he is confident about doing it live I think you take the risk, it puts on a good show. If they are willing to keep their political opinions silent while on camera so much the better. Personally after watching a top tier bullet hell player do his run i'd honestly like to see a lot more of that at GDQ, it was pretty impressive. Most runners do what only a few people are willing to do, that guy did something few people are able to do, and thats why its great the regular exceptional individuals are trying to shut him down. Its like if GDQ doesn't cover the walls in trans rights and commie flags that GDQ isn't leftist enough to take their money. If the exceptional individuals and gender specials don't want to give their money I think GDQ should just say fuck'em and cut them loose. They already cut whichever gender special on the staff kept getting their troon mafia friends as literally every other runner, I assume it was PMG, but I could be wrong. After doing that, I don't see the exceptional individuals ever coming back since its not awful genders done quick like it was.
Shmups are one of the most notoriously hard genres out there, especially with bullet hell shmups straight out of the arcade. It's also a different type of game entirely than most runs at GDQ. Their short length and fixed scrolling speed means that the only way to really beat them is on a single credit, especially as most of them will punish you in some way for credit feeding such as locking out the second loop or resetting your score each time you continue. It's why some newer shmups began to add continues (old ones like Gradius lacked them) and even difficulty settings in order to get more people into them.

This GDQ run definitely brought a lot of attention to a genre that has fallen on tough times as Cave hasn't made a game since 2013 (and according to rumors, lost key staff as well). While I'm on this topic, here's a interview with the runner before his GDQ run. He's definitely from outside the speedrunning community instead being from the more insular shmup community and it blatantly shows:

ducktales4gameboy

well known in this neighborhood
kiwifarms.net
If nothing else they could just run TASes or playarounds in one of the normal split views when they have extended downtime.

Posted this in the wrong thread but I'm going to post it again here since it's easily the most amusing thing to come out of this GDQ:

If you've ever played FF6 before this is 10/10 purestrain fucking nonsense and extremely pro-click.

Mesosalpinx

kiwifarms.net
This was the most profitable GDQ yet, and one of the worst, in my opinion. The crowd and announcers were unbearable every time I watched. Wind Waker would be one of the best runs of any GDQ if the person screaming "hoyyy" was edited out. There were so many trainwrecks, gimmicks, and over-estimate runs. Watch the Terraria run for a complete meltdown.
1578813850550.png

1578809985700.png

The donations were pretty slow throughout the event, then they raised a million in 4 hours. The big jump was their $350k donation from bits and sponsors. The last run was 2 hours of constant $1000-5000 donations and honking. It didn't seem like money laundering until then. Count the (No Name)s and name###s on the top donator list. The incentives were also pretty bad: $150k for a 3 minute goose game run, $175k for a 10 minute Pokemon TAS, $1 million for a 1 minute TAS of Mario Maker.

>Trainwreck (S): Terraria
>S: Riven | Fallout Anthology | AMID EVIL | Punch-Out!! | FF8 | Mushihime | LoZOoT | MMX4 | LoZ:WW | Dark Souls | Mario Maker
>A: Myst | Myst 3 | Bomberman Hero | Actraiser | Sonic 3 (Joey) | Doom SIGIL | Hotline Miami | Adventure Island II | Hebereke | Ninja Gaiden II | Shinobi 3 | Super Monkey Ball | MM Race | Castle of Dragon | WASD | Normy's | Dr Hauzer | Nightcry | RE4 | Bioshock | 2hu | VVVVVV | MMX | Tony Hawk | Kuru Kuru Kururin | Kingdom Hearts | Blasphemous | Super Metroid Impossible
>B: MM7 | SMB3 Race | Dino Crisis 2 | Chameleon Twist 2 | Mario Superstar Saga | LotMN | Battletoads/DD | DKC3 | Outer Worlds | GTA:SA | Super Castlevania IV | Shadow Dancer | Ghouls'nGhosts | Blazing Chrome | Cadence of Hyrule | Super Hydlide | SotBS | Barbie | FE | Subnautica | Pac-Man CEDX | Pac-Man Arrangement | SMW | Jumping Flash!
>C: Metroid: ZM | LoZ:SS | Skyblazer | Mickey | Sonic Colors | Doom | Bayonetta 2 | Tron | Eagle Island | Mummy | Adventures of Lolo | Pkmn Sapphire | Zelda Race | Vectorman 2 | Mystic Defender | Contra HC | Jurassic Park 3 | Cybergenic Ranger | MM3 | Fatal Frame | TLoU | Jak2 | DMC5 | Wolfenstein | Sun & Moon | Action Henk | SFPA | Gato Roboto | Pkmn X/Y | MMX3 | SM64 | Control | Trauma Center | Katana Zero | Link's Awakening 2019
>D: A Hat in Time | Ratchet & Clank | Razor | Tetrisphere | Sonic CD | Sanic 06 | Chippy | Battletoads (GB) | TMNT | Animemes | Hoshi | R&B | Miracle Ropit | FF6 | Squidlit | Celeste | Bonk's Adventure | Super Cat Bros | Castlevania DXC| Clone Hero | LoZ: LttP | Sekiro | Goose Game
>F: Star Wars | Binding of Isaac | Crowtel Renovations | Manifold Garden | MGS3 | Spider-Man | EDF5 | Destiny 2 | 140 | VtM | Darkened Sky | Anything TAS Bot
>Trainwreck (DNF): Sonic 3 (Zax) | Cybernator

Last edited:

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
No bingo this time, by the way (see attachment) but lets also see how my pre-made recommended watch list gels with 4chan's ratings.

Mario 3: B
Myst Block: A,S,A
Doom anti-recommended: C
GTA:SA : B
Adventure Island 2: A
Hebereke: A
Zelda relay anti-recommended by me: C but at least it had that epic melt-down
Megaman relay anti-recomended: A
Awful Block: varied but /v/ gave the hooting dickhead Animorphs meme run the D while Uyama's Super Hydlide run, which I called out, got a B
FE:3H (Claris): B
Bioshock: A
Wind Waker anti-recommended: S (fuckers....)
TASbot: F (my suspected TASbot GBP vs GB race turned out to just be the runner fucking up and submitting the entry twice)
Mario One Mind (I explained it was a meh gimmick): C
Darksouls anti-recommended: S (oh Darksouls, I love you Darksouls,, you are the Darksouls of Darksouls, Darksouls,, blegch...)
Jumping Flash!: B
LTTP gimmicked randomizer anti-recommended: D
Untitled Goose Game: D (come on guys, the run was actually good.... don't let those assholes ruin it for you)
Mario Maker 2 relay: S
Mario randomizer anti-recommended due to not being a race (except it actually was!) : C
Link's Awakening : C
Super Metroid Impossible (anti-reccomended): last run, not rated above but it looked like /v/ was enjoying it.

And then for bonus runs I hyped up zallard's 2P1C blindfold Metroid run (S), FFVI in 40 minutes (D) and Sonic 06 (D) while being meh on Pokemon (F), LA (C) and Animorphs (D). So it turns out that, except for zallard, who we all knew would be awesome, they all sucked. SHOULD HAVE GAVE US BILLY HATCHER INSTEAD, FUCKOS.

So on the whole I did a pretty good job of anticipating stuff. Was super happy that everyone loved Myst, and am glad that others enjoyed Hebereke although the cringe memes killed it for me. I anticipated a lot of this stuff happening, which sort of spoils the fun but thats part of watching it all the time. On the plus side, I am still hyped over that Amid Evil run, what a great game being demoed. Actually tempted to buy/beg a key for it myself now. Forget about Terraria-bro, this was the breakout run of the event. Makes all the bullshit worth it. See you in six months.

Attachments

Tags
kike uyama