Sperg about comic books here

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
What they'll do is tease it and if they're smart they'll drag it into a dangling plot thread for the next decade. The OMD brain trust still runs things at Marvel. Breevort, Quesada. No one is going to piss in that Kool-aide.
This is probably what they'll do. Maybe resolve the devil stuff but then do 'will they, won't they' shit for the next decade (or more) with Peter and MJ. Marvel's stupid enough to think that'll let them eat their cake and have it, too.

Circular Tyrant

Waterheaded Idiot
kiwifarms.net
Was reading Grant Morrison's Wikipedia page and noticed the extensive use of "they" and got a bad feeling about it. And what do I find?

eaec17f886539159983df2208ee7f96a.png

In a 2020 interview with Mondo2000, Morrison mentioned that they had "been non-binary, cross-dressing, ‘gender queer’ since I was 10 years old, but the available terms for what I was doing and how I felt were few and far between." Morrison uses they/them pronouns, as confirmed by CBR shortly after Morrison came out.
lol

knightlautrec

Keh heh heh heh…
kiwifarms.net
Was reading Grant Morrison's Wikipedia page and noticed the extensive use of "they" and got a bad feeling about it. And what do I find?

View attachment 1958947

lol
No....not you Grant. You just look like a foolish old man now. Just be a dude. You already had talent - you don't need shitty stupid labels to write.

jspit2.0

kiwifarms.net
Grant the hell are you doing.
Keeping himself safe from cancellation...

So, it sounds like this license thing may be legit.

Rob Liefeld talked about it on his podcast. Ethan Van Sciver spoke on the issue on his channel.

It's certainly an interesting idea. Though it raises the question, would this make things any better? It's hard to imagine worse than DC comics over the last few years. Bendis Superman, Tom King Batman, KSD Aquaman, and G willow Wilson Wonder Woman followed up with the waste of paper known as Future State.

Still, maybe? Maybe if one of the Image founders were to purchase it, they will treat it professionally due to the license fee. I won't hold my breath.

The question is, what does this Heroes Reborn DC look like?

Lucifer's Rectum

Rapidly deteriorating mental state
kiwifarms.net
Well Infinite Frontier seems to have just been about putting shit back how it was supposed to be. Roy's back from the dead, Batgirl is Oracle now, the JSA actually exists again (although they made Alan Scott gay which I'm a bit iffy about), and the most exciting part (to me anyway) Wally's the Flash again! I'm still cautious about where they're going with things, but my god this comic read like a breath of fresh air, like everything that I grew up with had been put back like it should have been. I know that's nostalgia talking but fuck it, I'm going to enjoy the fact that Future State is finally done.

Moguro Fukuzou

Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed
kiwifarms.net
So, it sounds like this license thing may be legit.

Rob Liefeld talked about it on his podcast. Ethan Van Sciver spoke on the issue on his channel.

It's certainly an interesting idea. Though it raises the question, would this make things any better? It's hard to imagine worse than DC comics over the last few years. Bendis Superman, Tom King Batman, KSD Aquaman, and G willow Wilson Wonder Woman followed up with the waste of paper known as Future State.

Still, maybe? Maybe if one of the Image founders were to purchase it, they will treat it professionally due to the license fee. I won't hold my breath.

The question is, what does this Heroes Reborn DC look like?
I remember when that story was first breaking there was a tweet from Palmiotti mentioning that if it was legit him and Amanda Conner would pool money to buy the rights to Power Girl, which would seem like an absolute win to me. There's good cases like that where it's people that love a character and have proven they can write them buying up licenses, but I'd be worried about "fans" buying the rights to characters to write garbage fanwank "This is how I think x is coolest!" tier.

I would find it interesting if they opened up the ability to license and opened up a separate division to oversee it, while sticking all the stories underneath something like the Black Label so it's all technically non-canon. If a creator is willing to fork over enough cash DC would be willing to take the risk of publishing a story they themselves wouldn't feel safe doing, anything that becomes a major hit might have DC negotiating with the creator to write more or bring it into canon. Have price tiers for each character depending on their popularity, so it'd give a chance to grab more writers. You'll still get a bunch of garbage published, but DC could have a min standard you'd need to maintain while also not personally taking as heavy a blow if the series tanks.

I could see DC experimenting with their less popular characters being opened up to the idea while gating off their bigger names and see how that goes. They have a pretty vast catalogue of characters that people could pick from and have fun with.

Alexander Thaut

Viva Venezuela!
kiwifarms.net
I remember when that story was first breaking there was a tweet from Palmiotti mentioning that if it was legit him and Amanda Conner would pool money to buy the rights to Power Girl, which would seem like an absolute win to me. There's good cases like that where it's people that love a character and have proven they can write them buying up licenses, but I'd be worried about "fans" buying the rights to characters to write garbage fanwank "This is how I think x is coolest!" tier.

I would find it interesting if they opened up the ability to license and opened up a separate division to oversee it, while sticking all the stories underneath something like the Black Label so it's all technically non-canon. If a creator is willing to fork over enough cash DC would be willing to take the risk of publishing a story they themselves wouldn't feel safe doing, anything that becomes a major hit might have DC negotiating with the creator to write more or bring it into canon. Have price tiers for each character depending on their popularity, so it'd give a chance to grab more writers. You'll still get a bunch of garbage published, but DC could have a min standard you'd need to maintain while also not personally taking as heavy a blow if the series tanks.

I could see DC experimenting with their less popular characters being opened up to the idea while gating off their bigger names and see how that goes. They have a pretty vast catalogue of characters that people could pick from and have fun with.
honestly letting the creators do semi-indie stuff under the black label would be nice.

Jaimas

H O N K
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So did you guys hear about what they're doing with Static Shock now? Here's the Polygon article (and the Archive therefore), just in case you want to choke on your bile a bit:

------------------------------------------
This week’s Milestone Returns #0 introduces audiences to the characters of Milestone’s new lineup, Static, Icon & Rocket, and Hardware — all available digitally or through a DC Universe Infinite subscription. But it’s been a while since the early ’90s, so The Big Bang, the gang battle/police crackdown that caused an explosion of superpowers among Dakota City’s youth, and turned Virgil into Static, has been reimagined for the modern age. How the creative team reworks the scenario is extremely timely, and compelling.

What else is happening in the pages of our favorite comics? We’ll tell you. Welcome to Monday Funnies, Polygon’s weekly list of the books that our comics editor enjoyed this past week. It’s part society pages of superhero lives, part reading recommendations, part “look at this cool art.” There may be some spoilers. There may not be enough context. But there will be great comics. (And if you missed the last edition, read this.)

The Big Bang, origin of all the superpowered Bang Babies, is now a Black Lives Matter protest — and one that mirrors the last year in IRL demonstrations. Just like the Big Bang of the ’90s, police arrive and fire tear gas laced with an experimental chemical that was supposed to help trace all participants to their homes afterward. Instead, it transforms hundreds of teens in unpredictable ways.

------------------------------------------

Everything must be political. You are not allowed a reprieve. Ever.

jspit2.0

kiwifarms.net

I think it would unfortunately be a grab bag, all in one deal. My understanding is very few have the cash. I've heard Steve Geppi, Todd McFarlane, Robert Kirkman, and even a group of one or more of them. Jimmy and Amanda don't have that kindof cash.

GoPro

kiwifarms.net
Palimotti and Conner have some symptoms of the woke disease, although it is not nearly as bad as most other comic book creators from what I have seen. Either way, both of them are past their prime now, unfortunately. Some jokes from their Power Girl and Terra series would be risky in today's climate, so whatever book they would produce it would not be nearly good as Power Trip.
As for licensing, it would not be that much different than what happened in late 1970s when fanboys managed to climb their way into meaningful positions within Marvel and DC. People who were best at sucking up and networking got to write their idiotic fanwank stories, where their self-insert OC gets to fuck Kitty Pryde, Rogue, or whoever. The licensing thing would just favor the richest instead of the wormiest. Some rich kid or company would probably outbid everyone, and there would be a chance that new comics would be better than trash Marvel and DC are serving now.

honestly letting the creators do semi-indie stuff under the black label would be nice.
That's what Wildstorm and Vertigo used to be more or less. Of course, DC mismanaged both of them. WB's and AT&T's greedy demands just exacerbated everything.

Jetpack Himmler

Secret Shota
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well Infinite Frontier seems to have just been about putting shit back how it was supposed to be. Roy's back from the dead, Batgirl is Oracle now, the JSA actually exists again (although they made Alan Scott gay which I'm a bit iffy about), and the most exciting part (to me anyway) Wally's the Flash again! I'm still cautious about where they're going with things, but my god this comic read like a breath of fresh air, like everything that I grew up with had been put back like it should have been. I know that's nostalgia talking but fuck it, I'm going to enjoy the fact that Future State is finally done.
Technically speaking, Wally didn't stop being the Flash when Barry returned. DC shifted the focus off of him before royally shafting him with the New 52 and I believe that he still used the Flash codename when he returned in Rebirth. That said, I think Josh Williamson's run gave Barry enough of an arc that it's high time to put Wally front and center while Barry explores the omniverse with Justice Incarnate. I hope they do something with Bart, who I like better than Wallace.
Ngl I still know people who are pretty mad about them making Ice Man gay.
I like to troll people by saying that Jean Grey made Iceman gay using her telepathy.

Lucifer's Rectum

Rapidly deteriorating mental state
kiwifarms.net
Technically speaking, Wally didn't stop being the Flash when Barry returned. DC shifted the focus off of him before royally shafting him with the New 52 and I believe that he still used the Flash codename when he returned in Rebirth. That said, I think Josh Williamson's run gave Barry enough of an arc that it's high time to put Wally front and center while Barry explores the omniverse with Justice Incarnate. I hope they do something with Bart, who I like better than Wallace.

I like to troll people by saying that Jean Grey made Iceman gay using her telepathy.
You're right, but it's been a long time since we've really focused on Wally properly. I'd be down to see them do more with Bart, but I'd also be down to see something happen with Wallace, who I only really know from the tv series. I'm really looking forward to seeing Wally as the book's lead again though.

Isn't that exactly what happened in Bendis's run? Didn't she like read his mind and then exclaim "Shit you gay man!" so his arc in the book could be "why am I gay but the old one isn't except he is now too"?

KingofNothing

Wahoo!
kiwifarms.net
Ngl I still know people who are pretty mad about them making Ice Man gay.
Can't really blame them, that whole scene reads like brainwashing and his whole personality changes for no reason because apparently that happens when you realize you like dicks. At least Alan Scott was set in an alternate universe and they didn't just undo his history.

Alexander Thaut

Viva Venezuela!
kiwifarms.net
Can't really blame them, that whole scene reads like brainwashing and his whole personality changes for no reason because apparently that happens when you realize you like dicks. At least Alan Scott was set in an alternate universe and they didn't just undo his history.
i think the writers for this shit are just fanfiction yaoi writers who don't actually know how to write it.

I could buy the possibility of making a bisexual alan scott if it's handled right, but you bet your ass that the writers in DC probably aren't gonna handle it with even a scintilla of care.

GranDuke

kiwifarms.net
That's what Wildstorm and Vertigo used to be more or less. Of course, DC mismanaged both of them. WB's and AT&T's greedy demands just exacerbated everything.
No? Nobody was doing Superman or Batman stories at Wildstorm or Vertigo. It was either creator owned stuff or using Wildstorm/Vertigo characters.