Hellblazer 096 (1995) (digital-Empire) 011.jpg

Constanteen:
3231524-constantine 005 (2013) (digital) (darkness-empire) 013.jpg

JimiHendrix

The best jazz player around.
kiwifarms.net

sKr0n

kiwifarms.net
Jon Consteen of Heckblazer in the main stream DC is very meh.
To be fair though, the British Invasion and DC really investing and giving work to really subversive writers/artists, I mean when you take a look at DC, before even the books that would start the Vertigo imprint with stuff like Piranha Press lead to DC having one of the most interesting stables of writers and artists meant that you had some really unique stories that were jewels in a sea of mediocrity that was the "90's" era of comics and the fact that the industry was in a much healthier spot meant that you could lift up vertigo books etc. It's more a problem of trying to do a book like this today when both the artists and writers are poorly suited to it and the editors could not give two shits rather than proximity of Superman,

that's a bit hard to do when they keep fucking cancelling it.
That's another big problem, it's crazy to me that The Books of Magic lasted longer than Hellblazer this time around.

Owlman3

“Nothing matters.”
kiwifarms.net
2A68843A-F5D5-4914-B3F8-7075F64140D6.jpeg

Again, pretty good. Although, I thought Owlman’s origin was a bit...lacking. Especially compared to Ultraman’s origin. I liked the idea of him being a corrupted vigilante instead of an outright villain and I liked how he has scars on his eyes because of an Owl attack.

Volthoom

Here on the authority of The Overlords of Oa
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2068765
Again, pretty good. Although, I thought Owlman’s origin was a bit...lacking. Especially compared to Ultraman’s origin. I liked the idea of him being a corrupted vigilante instead of an outright villain and I liked how he has scars on his eyes because of an Owl attack.
The Owlman origin is alright seeing as the writer had only 3 pages to work with. Also Apparently Emerald Knights had a predecessor (most likely earth 3 Hal Jordan) who encountered Owlman which ended with him losing his power battery and most likely dying.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
meh, Critical Mass is one of my favorite arcs. Him divvying up his soul as to avoid damnation is up there with his gambit in Dangerous Habits for me.

i just didn't think First of the Fallen had to be brought back that fast. It's not a bad con, and Jenkins was it? Wasn't a bad writer. It just happened way too fucking fast after the perfect "death" of FoTF.

also i still don't fully understand how he got his soul whole again.

Lucifer's Rectum

Rapidly deteriorating mental state
kiwifarms.net
i like how you didn't even pick a good example of "proper" constantine either, you picked the shit golem.

that's a bit hard to do when they keep fucking cancelling it.
That's another big problem, it's crazy to me that The Books of Magic lasted longer than Hellblazer this time around.
I really don't understand why they cancelled the most recent hellblazer run after like 13 issues. It was getting really fun and so far hadn't done most of the shit that the other recent runs had been doing. It felt a lot closer to classic Hellblazer than the modern new52 stuff. It's a damn shame tbh, I thought it had a lot of potential.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
I really don't understand why they cancelled the most recent hellblazer run after like 13 issues. It was getting really fun and so far hadn't done most of the shit that the other recent runs had been doing. It felt a lot closer to classic Hellblazer than the modern new52 stuff. It's a damn shame tbh, I thought it had a lot of potential.

not enough money.

sKr0n

kiwifarms.net
Really? I heard it was selling alright. Better than some other books that didn't get cancelled at least.
There was a interview he did with bleeding cool that leads with

"My stupid, colossal fucking mistake was to assume I was still living in the 90's when comics got at least a couple dozen issues to flex their muscles and find their fullest audience before anyone even quibbled about profitability."

He also gives a talks backroom stuff and reveals plans that were shot down much to his dismay and talks about how he got ghosted after Hellblazer

"Honestly no idea who to harass for such things, these days. There have been such huge earthquakes within the DCU editorial community – so many excellent people have lost their jobs – and I haven't yet had the chance to figure out who's where. I confess to being a smidge butthurt, after the Eisner-nominated Dreaming and my Hellblazer run, which was the single best reviewed comic by aggregate on US shelves for ten months in a row – that nobody approached me to contribute to the awesome new stuff going on in the DCU right now. I tried on several occasions to contact editors, without much luck. The charitable view is that everyone over there was so busy and stressed I slipped through the gaps. The paranoid view is that I've pissed off someone somewhere up the line, who knows? I did have one very cool project all lined up to go – this was even before Hellblazer went down the tubes – but that all fell apart at the last post around the same time Didio left the building. Honestly, I have no idea what happened. As luck would have it Marvel came along with a couple of projects at just the right moment, and my incredible editors at DC Black Label continue to see me right. So it's all okay. Long story short: I'd absolutely love to do some more DCU stuff, and I have more huge ideas than you'd believe. But wanting and getting are, apparently, not the same thing."

Personally believe that is was money and probably hastened by his abrasiveness.

GranDuke

kiwifarms.net
"My stupid, colossal fucking mistake was to assume I was still living in the 90's when comics got at least a couple dozen issues to flex their muscles and find their fullest audience before anyone even quibbled about profitability."
Is this even true? Could you really search for an audience like that in 90's? "at least a couple dozen" is at least 24 issues, thats at least 2 years of searching for audience and not really being profitable.

And its not like Constantine is a new kid on the block, if it is not selling by issue 10 then maybe its not going to.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
been reading the Batman Urban Legends shit. i don't know anything about Grifter so I can't really speak for the quality of his story, but this feels like some of the best Jason Todd stuff I've read in a long long time. unfortunate they're using his New 52 origin it seems, but it works for the story I suppose.

I assume it's the New 52 origin because Jason mentions "my mom died from a drug overdose" where as far as I know his mother died from a bomb overdose.

sKr0n

kiwifarms.net
been reading the Batman Urban Legends shit. i don't know anything about Grifter so I can't really speak for the quality of his story, but this feels like some of the best Jason Todd stuff I've read in a long long time. unfortunate they're using his New 52 origin it seems, but it works for the story I suppose.

I assume it's the New 52 origin because Jason mentions "my mom died from a drug overdose" where as far as I know his mother died from a bomb overdose.
I agree its probably one of the better Bat books right now and it's great Red Hood stuff, also I think it's a stand alone story in its own continuity, Jason's mom was killed by the Joker in new 52 ircc like in Death in the Family.

Is this even true? Could you really search for an audience like that in 90's? "at least a couple dozen" is at least 24 issues, thats at least 2 years of searching for audience and not really being profitable.

And its not like Constantine is a new kid on the block, if it is not selling by issue 10 then maybe its not going to.
Considering some of the books they made in the 80's and 90's I don't doubt it, I can't imagine books like Namor or Aquaman would have sold well but their runs often spanned into the high 40 and 80's for the latter, and all the creative shifts like Byrne's art to Jae Lee's crazy run on Namor, which I recently had the pleasure of picking up recently and can't wait to read, or just replacing Aquaman with a different guy, him losing his hand or living in a flooded San Diego with locals residents being turned into water breathers etc all just to try to make it work.

1618352184889.png

With rising tides lifting all boots I don't think it's entirely unlikely that they would give some leeway to projects and creators they personally like to find a audience in the newsstands and in stores etc.

If DC could end up marketing their Vertigo properties well, I think they would have appeal in bookstores etc and that could make up direct market losses but that's a far off

sKr0n

kiwifarms.net
thought she was killed by the Joker in that he orchestrated her drug overdose because he was trying to create a robin for batman just to take it away.
From what I read of that awful Lobdell run in #0 it looks like a Nu52 bomb death in Africa

RCO014_1469406585.jpg
RCO015_1469406585.jpg
RCO016_1469406585.jpg
RCO019_1469406585.jpg

I don't doubt that it could be contradicted in other bat books or even the same one with the mess that was New 52

Last edited:

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
I don't doubt that it could be contradicted in other bat books or even the same one with the mess that was New 52

yeah okay, they just fucked the original origin by inserting Joker at every step of the way instead of just the end. for some reason i thought they cut out the bomb part entirely in the New 52 version.