Sperg about comic books here -

admiral

If you should meet a crocodile...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sperging about Comics is what I do best.

I'm re-reading the 90s run of X-Factor right now and it's making me very nostalgic. The art work is consistently excellent and super dynamic, the storylines are tight and the characters act like actual people. They have flaws and make stupid decisions, and the topic of prejudice and racism is presented impressively sensitively from a 90s superhero comic. I really love comics from this period- there were some really amazing artists at thetop of their game and the eye-watering colours are so much fun to look at.
Quicksilver has an especially compelling arc and it made me sad that the newer books and writers have essentially torn down everything that was built up since his introduction with retconning and shitty writing. Ahmed's 2018 Quicksilver run was notably terrible with poor characterisation, lazy art and blatant soapboxing about how racist Europeans are. Someone said out that his skin had been darkened and looking back I think they might be right. It was just really clear that either Ahmed had not read much of the stellar development of Quicksilver's character that went on in the 90s, or he just doesn't give a shit. The bit with the turtle was cringy as hell and the shoehorning of selfies and all that shit was just lame. Richard Meyer pointed out that the backgrounds were mostly free assets that had been lazily adjusted in photoshop and by god, so they are. How fucking lazy do you have to be, on a book that is 50% one guy pissing about talking to himself? Just stick him in the hot white room and be done with it if you can't draw trees, goddamn.
That was the first dedicated Quicksilver series since the excellent Son of M and there was basically nothing in it to connect it to the character. I realised, reading the older books again, how important Quicksilver's relationship to Magneto and his heritage was, and how that had shaped his character. There's a constant cycle of redemption and disgrace, with the ever present shadow of Magneto and the power that he could wield if he gave in to his feelings of disdain for humanity. It's a shame they cancelled Quicksilver (1997) purely because they were clearly going somewhere interesting with the relationship between Quicksilver and Magneto.
With the retcon of his origin story it essentially throws all that out of the window, and now he's just some angry cuckold who blames white Europeans for his problems. Like bitch, he is European, what happened to Wundagore? Where'd it go? To be honest at this point I selectively ignore anything published after 2012. Avengers: Millenium was pretty good, and Scarlet Witch was a breath of fresh air, but is that enough to justify a continued investment in the canon? I don't know. The art regularly sucks too, it's so flat and un-dynamic. There's no visual kick aside from some edgy panel placement and overuse of neon.
This whole thing makes me super irrationally mad. As a kid, funny to say, I really identified with Quicksilver. He has a constant theme of trying to be better and fucking it up, distancing himself from other people because he's too far into his own head. He's never reaching his full potential because he's all wrapped up in ridiculous standards he sets for himself. His self-imposed isolation is shown really well in X-Factor , for example when he puts off wearing the team uniform until his last few appearances. Even in his placement in group scenes, he's often standing apart from the others. The theme of racism was always a part of his character, but instead of being the victim he was the perpetrator, a victim of radicalisation who sees the lives of humans as lesser than those of mutants because of inherited injustices. He wants revenge, which frequently leads to him turning against humans and committing serious crimes. He brings a lot of the trouble he faces on his own head. The guy regularly supported the segregation or even genocide of humans, and he's being used to virtue signal about immigration and racism.
I think that side of his character has recently been scrapped in favour of plain 'white people are racist' because in the current year no protagonist can ever have flaws or nuance. Or be white. God forbid we air out unpopular opinions or think about how other people with different experiences might feel. It's honestly a little insulting to the intelligence of the reader.

I just wonder at what point this all happened? Uncanny X Factor in 2016 (?) was entertaining and Quicksilver's appearance at the end of Scarlet Witch was very well done. Even Avengers Academy, bland though it was, was on model. Which event caused this shift? Or is it just the work of Saladin Ahmed and his bewildering level of influence? Whichever, I'm not holding out much hope for the future. I predict that Marvel's gonna kill off a bunch of major characters or perhaps scrap several series in the next couple of years, since their sales are so pathetic, and focus on films and TV. Moviegoers don't buy comics regularly, and comic-book fans are moving away from Marvel due to the bastardisation of established characters and institutions.

Jetpack Himmler

Grizzled Culture War Veteran
kiwifarms.net
Doomsday Clock #9 (finally) came out today. Here are some highlights.

The Legion flight ring on the cover is not Saturn Girl's. It belongs to Ferro Lad and his ring got thrown back in time by the Sun-Eater explosion to the 21st century where Dr. Manhattan retrieves it. After he manipulates time to kill Alan Scott before he could become Green Lantern, the ring disappears and the 31st century is "erased" as far as Manhattan is concerned.

The Justice League retrieves Batman, Superman, and both halves of Firestorm. Superman is currently in a coma while Batman is recovering at Wayne Manor. The League and Earth's heroes head off to Mars to confront Manhattan, taking Ronnie Raymond and Martin Stein with them.

Anyone who's upset over what DiDio did to Dick Grayson can heave a sigh of relief. He appears as Nightwing in at least one panel.

Donald Trump is the President of the United States on Earth-0. Make of that as you will.

Batman deduced that someone (likely Ozymadias) framed Dr. Manhattan for what happened in Moscow and is playing the League.

Lex Luthor mentions Wally West. Could it be possible Wally's coming back from the dead?

Dr. Manhattan reveals that Dr. Stein is behind the Superman Theory and manipulated events so that he and Ronnie became Firestorm.

Wonder Woman appears at the UN to lay out a peace plan to deescalate metahuman arms race, but Black Adam, Giganta, and Creeper crash in to "make a move."

Wärring Ornac

When you reverse "LOVE" It turns to "EVOL"
kiwifarms.net
Doomsday Clock #9 (finally) came out today. Here are some highlights.

The Legion flight ring on the cover is not Saturn Girl's. It belongs to Ferro Lad and his ring got thrown back in time by the Sun-Eater explosion to the 21st century where Dr. Manhattan retrieves it. After he manipulates time to kill Alan Scott before he could become Green Lantern, the ring disappears and the 31st century is "erased" as far as Manhattan is concerned.

The Justice League retrieves Batman, Superman, and both halves of Firestorm. Superman is currently in a coma while Batman is recovering at Wayne Manor. The League and Earth's heroes head off to Mars to confront Manhattan, taking Ronnie Raymond and Martin Stein with them.

Anyone who's upset over what DiDio did to Dick Grayson can heave a sigh of relief. He appears as Nightwing in at least one panel.

Donald Trump is the President of the United States on Earth-0. Make of that as you will.

Batman deduced that someone (likely Ozymadias) framed Dr. Manhattan for what happened in Moscow and is playing the League.

Lex Luthor mentions Wally West. Could it be possible Wally's coming back from the dead?

Dr. Manhattan reveals that Dr. Stein is behind the Superman Theory and manipulated events so that he and Ronnie became Firestorm.

Wonder Woman appears at the UN to lay out a peace plan to deescalate metahuman arms race, but Black Adam, Giganta, and Creeper crash in to "make a move."
You forgot
the part where he "learn" magic

He looks happy

Reactions: RockVolnutt

RockVolnutt

kiwifarms.net
You forgot
the part where he "learn" magic
View attachment 689452
View attachment 689453
He looks happy
My girlfriend asked me about that scene since she read some stuff about people misinterpreting it as "Magic isn't real in DC". Dr. Manhattan is pretty confused by magic since he calls it "errors in reality" and Doomsday Clock is otherwise pretty blunt about the DCU being bizarre to him, his omniscience no longer working properly.

Guess it's people guessing context from out of context scans again. I liked his confused reaction to seeing Captain Atom in the crowd too.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
So they hired some talented artist for the cover and then Andrew Dobson for the actual content?

Wouldn't be the first time.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, my favorite comics I've read in the last 5 years or so have been Godzilla: The Half Century War, and the He-Man Series that DC did.

Everything else out there seems to be either politically driven or just awful.

Evian Les Rutabaga

kiwifarms.net
What is it with Millenial comic book writers trying to faceclaim cyberpunk (Brian Visaggio), Summer of Love counter-culture, and the Beat Generation; and doing it so badly?

Blue Damian Wayne is a little creepy as well.

Not that anyone cares, but even though "Bright Disease" is a (funny. ha ha) play on Dazzler's powers, Bright's disease is a less funny term for chronic kidney disease.

Even though the current storyline has to end in blood, sweat, and tears (i.e., if Suzie Su doesn't buy Jason out or run him out, there is no justice) Red Hood and the Outlaws #36 handled one of DC's open plotholes nicely.

The art, and Jason Todd are easy on the eyes, so there's that too.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
What is it with Millenial comic book writers trying to faceclaim cyberpunk (Brian Visaggio), Summer of Love counter-culture, and the Beat Generation; and doing it so badly?
Because they think cyberpunk is cool even though they're exactly the shit it criticizes: technology obsessed consumerist wankers covering the world in a homogenized corporate culture.

They think cyberpunk is Lisa Frank colored when it is actually, as Gibson said, "the color of television tuned to a dead channel."

Reactions: Evian Les Rutabaga

Brain Problems

kiwifarms.net
I know comic quality is pretty shit in general today but I am astounded at how the insane popularity of the Marvel flicks has not translated at all into even a partial life-preserver for the industry. You'd think there would be at least some people who see the latest underwhelming Disney mega-production and then think, wow maybe I'll go right to the source! But things just seem to get worse and worse for everyone.

Reactions: Law

damian

Not *cough* Zack.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know comic quality is pretty shit in general today but I am astounded at how the insane popularity of the Marvel flicks has not translated at all into even a partial life-preserver for the industry. You'd think there would be at least some people who see the latest underwhelming Disney mega-production and then think, wow maybe I'll go right to the source! But things just seem to get worse and worse for everyone.
Well when the source is currently publishing stuff like this,

This is Shuri btw, Black Panther's sister (the teenaged one)

would you stick around?

Law

hates dogs, loves vicodin
kiwifarms.net
I know comic quality is pretty shit in general today but I am astounded at how the insane popularity of the Marvel flicks has not translated at all into even a partial life-preserver for the industry.
imo this is because comics are hard for normies to buy. :powerlevel: I have a friend who loves the marvel movies. We went to a shop to try to start reading some marvel books, but nothing is issue #1. If you like Ant-Man from the movie you're going to want to find an Ant-Man series and start reading from the beginning, not reading some random spin-off starting from issue #5. To see a movie, you show up and buy a ticket. You don't have to faff around with special orders and variants and waiting for trade paperbacks.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino