Sperg about comic books here -

I Love Beef

Wandering Vagabond the 2nd. In memory
kiwifarms.net
Or how Captain Marvel is currently drawn like she's a man. The quality just isn't there.

There's rumors that Disney may just get rid of Marvel's comics and focus on other media or give the properties to others to use. Sort of like their deal with IDW.

Doesn't help that for decades Marvel had it so that comic book stores couldn't return comics that never sold. Today that's ruining LCS's because they have so much stock that isn't selling. There's stories of 10% of them closing down because of Marvel.
Marvel still can't get themselves out of the hole since 1996. Turned to trying to do shitty manga knockoffs, then to SJWs, Stan Lee is now dead, and they are still rolling down hill. The MCU's been the only thing that's running best for them. I don't even know how well their Chinese market is doing, but that's another story.

Hope Ron Perlmutter doesn't run away with that cash, that would be a real damn problem.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
Marvel still can't get themselves out of the hole since 1996. Turned to trying to do shitty manga knockoffs, then to SJWs, Stan Lee is now dead, and they are still rolling down hill. The MCU's been the only thing that's running best for them. I don't even know how well their Chinese market is doing, but that's another story.

Hope Ron Perlmutter doesn't run away with that cash, that would be a real damn problem.
The Chinese hated their Captain Marvel movie, I love the reviews on it though. Like even they know that Brie has no ass.

I Love Beef

Wandering Vagabond the 2nd. In memory
kiwifarms.net
The Chinese hated their Captain Marvel movie, I love the reviews on it though. Like even they know that Brie has no ass.
Oh, here we go. Deeper down the rabbit hole.

CB Cebulski AKA Akira Yoshida is starting up Marvel's Chinese market. I wonder how is that going?

Something about this stirs me as odd and not going to go over well. The Chinese do love anime and manga, but I wonder how far this will go over. I mean, it's headed by a weeaboo and sorry Stan, wasn't there a similar premise to Jem I MEAN G.E.M. in Marvel known as Nightcat? Oh SHIT YOU DID. It was called Nightcat.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You'd think there would be at least some people who see the latest underwhelming Disney mega-production and then think, wow maybe I'll go right to the source! But things just seem to get worse and worse for everyone.
OT, but: There were - lots of people wanted to go to the source. It would have been easy for Marvel to then create comics with versions of their characters that match up with the film versions, so they could read further adventures of the heroes on the big screen.

But no, there was no attempt to make entry into comics easier, and they thought, in all their SJW-run glory, that anyone who wanted to read about, say, Thor, would instead find a comic about Thor losing his hammer and Lady-Thor running around instead. And that the fan wouldn't just ignore it for not being what they wanted, but would become a convert to wokeness and read all of Lady-Thor's adventures because it wasn't like movie fans would care, right? They wouldn't care that the characters from the movies were completely different from the ones in the comics - and that the ones in the comics not only had often been replaced by newer versions, but that they'd made sure to shit on the legacy of the older characters in the process. And again, if you wanted to know why things were different? Even with the large push for #1s, none of them were able to divorce the decades of comics lore from the premises.

About the one concession they made is I believe they had an Avengers comic for a bit that had the same line-up as the films. But lore creep and SJWdom made sure that it quickly became things like Girl Hawkeye, Latina Lesbian, Muslim Marvel and all the other characters that had very complex backgrounds and weren't their cinematic counterparts.

Honestly, the way that comics Marvel fumbled the ball that the MCU handed them is practically criminal.

Titty Figurine

Internet Disaster Tourist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a feeling that no matter how they pull it off, Amazon taking The Boys to screen is going to be a salt mine to watch out for on release.

The Boys is hilarious. It's too much. The production team has already stated that the graphic content would be toned down a bit for the show, which I guess is a necessary evil given the source material. But really, who wouldn't want to see the tapeworm incident from Highland Laddie or the source of MM's V fix in HD?

The internet is going to want their tape-wrapped asshamsters, C-4 stuffed vibrators, and canine rapists intact, so we'll have to wait and see what makes it in. Someone is guaranteed to REEEEEEEEEEE about a missing puddle of blood-flecked semen somewhere down the line, and there's already some disquiet in the herd about Jack from Jupiter missing from The Seven's lineup.

It's also going to drum up a lot of attention for the series, which is kind of a mixed bag. Too many enthusiastic newfriends at once pouring into a niche comic community made up of mostly bitter, aging, edgelords to sperg about the TV show they just watched is a recipe for success. I'm really looking forward to the first interactions between Jack Quaid fangirls and Garth Ennis loyalists. This should be good.

And lastly, they're fucking premiering it at Tribeca for god knows what reason. "Tribeca is more than a festival. It is an institution. Where community meets culture. A home for creative expression grounded in social change." This might be the litmus test for the show. If the Tribeca indie crowd loves it, the comic fans will hate it for being watered down. If we start seeing hot takes about how shocked and offended festival-goers are by the problematic content, it'll actually be great.

Honestly even if this is a dumpster fire I'm looking forward to it. The Boys is right up there with Transmetropolitan for best Current Year reread and no matter what Amazon does here someone's getting assmad.

Water-T

Let's go crunch some numbers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Boys is hilarious. It's too much. The production team has already stated that the graphic content would be toned down a bit for the show, which I guess is a necessary evil given the source material. But really, who wouldn't want to see the tapeworm incident from Highland Laddie or the source of MM's V fix in HD?
The Boys is a series was made for comics, especially since there is too much material for a movie and too much graphic stuff for TV (like Butcher's wife getting pregnant with a superbaby after being raped by a super, the baby exploding from her stomach, and then Butcher beating the baby to death). If they ever adapt the mini series where Hughie goes back to visit Scotland, troons everywhere are going to REEEEEE about his friend who looks like a football player in a wig and dress.

Devilish Jack o Lantern

z-list super villan .
kiwifarms.net
Ok y’all neeed to be reading Spider-man: life story and Middlewest ! Nuff said !!!
....oh you need more ?
Ok I’ll indulge you . Spider-man Life story is becoming my favorite spider-man related story of the past few years , the basic concept is that this 6 isssue miniseries will explore the past 70 years that we have known Peter Parker in real time from him getting bit by the spider in the early 60’s onwards each issue exploring the decade and I feel like this story has a lot of potential I’ve read the first issue and it’s amazing! And I can’t wait for the rest to come out , I have tell you guys Mark Bagley is illustrating this book and he has improved so much since the 90’s I truly believe that this has been his best work on our favorite wallcrawler to date .

And now for middlewest. Let me tell you the tale of a modern wizard of oz/Alice in wonderland where a young boy runs away from his crappy home to have incredible adventures but it’s a tad more complicated than that . That’s all I will say about the book because I don’t want to spoil it !! I love the book the writing by Skottie young is amazing and the art by Jorge corona is incredible this dude is an up and comer and you should really get into his stuff!
Well those are my recomendations I would say get the last Moore comic ever but I think we’ve all grown out of our crazy comic hobo phase and I guess if you are into trippy stuff you should check out Batman and the Maxx

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was not aware Archie comics had a horror version now that includes comic runs of a zombie outbreak, Jughead being a werewolf, Veronica becoming a vampire, and all with gruesome deaths and kills and such.

It’s very surreal when you only know Archie for the original version.

Reactions: Brain Problems

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I was not aware Archie comics had a horror version now that includes comic runs of a zombie outbreak, Jughead being a werewolf, Veronica becoming a vampire, and all with gruesome deaths and kills and such.

Better that than all being asexual trannies and tumblrinas and shit.

REGENDarySumanai

Man of excellent taste
kiwifarms.net

Oh, and running into characters such as The Punisher, The Predator, and running into the Predator, again.

Reactions: LN 910
F

FH 721

kiwifarms.net
Has anyone here read Batman: The Dark Prince Charming? It was released in fall 2017 and sadly it seems like it fell through the cracks unnoticed because everyone was raving about White Knight (which was, in my opinion, overrated).

Anyway, if you're a Batman fan you owe it to yourself to get this one. The art is fantastic, the story is simple yet so compelling, it's honestly one of the finest Batman graphic novels I've read in years.

Last edited by a moderator:

admiral

passionless bombast
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It must suck for the writers at Green Lantern, knowing that they're never gonna be able to replicate the shock of Emerald Twilight, no matter how many times they yo-yo Parallax in and out of Hal Jordan. The guy's doesn't just face-heel turn- he's got a full on revolving door.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
imo this is because comics are hard for normies to buy. :powerlevel: I have a friend who loves the marvel movies. We went to a shop to try to start reading some marvel books, but nothing is issue #1. If you like Ant-Man from the movie you're going to want to find an Ant-Man series and start reading from the beginning, not reading some random spin-off starting from issue #5. To see a movie, you show up and buy a ticket. You don't have to faff around with special orders and variants and waiting for trade paperbacks.
There's an interesting disconnect here between what the customer wants and what the industry does, much like video game arcades in the U.S.. Comics are written and designed to be "jump in whenever, buy this on a whim for a short story" and the expectation is you can jump into issue #5, get up to speed on some short adventure and hopefully get hooked into buying more next week/month. What the comic industry doesn't take into account now though, is the mentality of customers thinking, "I don't want to get hooked into a good story, and be unable to find out what happened first. I need the whole big picture." Similarities to streaming services like Netflix there too; nobody wants to start on something mid-season, then backpedal through a series, they want to start at #1 if they think they'll like it.

The Big Two have phone and tablet apps that effectively let you go backwards, and buy digital issues of things you may have missed, but it's an arcane(and overpriced) solution that customers haven't embraced. If I bought #5 on the comic book rack, why would I settle for #1-#4 in only digital format? If I would buy #1-#4 digitally, why would I even bother with a physical copy of #5?

Customers aren't mentally into buying disjointed issues here and there anymore, just like they aren't into dropping quarters into arcade cabinets when home consoles and internet exist. The culture's at odds against the industry, and neither one is willing to budge. I've looked at my own behavior now vs. when I was a kid though and have started to buy more random issues of things. It's not for everyone but I recommend it. It should be a more carefree hobby and medium.

• Informative
Reactions: Law

REGENDarySumanai

Man of excellent taste
kiwifarms.net
Thinking about jumping into Hellboy, and getting the rest of Harrow County. Thankfully, both of them have collected editions that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino