Sperg about comic books here -

Odets

kiwifarms.net
Vertigo unofficially started with Hellblazer and Sandman in the late 80s, but wasn't officially it's own label until around the time Preacher started in the early 90s. It was the last wave that you mentioned which killed the line. The honcho running the label decided to let Quinn and other NPCs infect it with cancer like Goddess Mode and Border Town. If they had gotten good writers like Morrison, Millar, and Ennis instead, it would still be alive today.
I took the official late date for the sake of an "early grave" argument. It's sounds even stranger if counting from Sandman.

Why stop there? "If only they had Alan Moor and Stan Lee there!". Has it never crossed your mind that none of those people cared at that point? That the reason Zoe was there was because she was the only one willing to go there? The checks aren't fat enough to neglect a job on which you can write whatever so why weren't they there?

This is exactly the same commentary Lewis provides. "Something-something editors = bad. Was it his fault? Meh who cares".

Last edited:

MisterBee

kiwifarms.net
Personal hot take: The current comic culture of celebrity writers ruined the industry. Whenever you see a book hyped by the industry, it's because of the writer being a big name or the main character is a black gay transsexual overweight hispanic. When the company spends that much money to hype your name and for your exclusive contract, the editor is less likely to push back on your stupid ideas, like, say, Brian Michael Bendis's stupid shit.

• Agree
Reactions: Odets and Agent Wet

Water-T

Let's go crunch some numbers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I took the official late date for the sake of an "early grave" argument. It's sounds even stranger if counting from Sandman.

Why stop there? "If only they had Alan Moor and Stan Lee there!". Has it never crossed your mind that none of those people cared at that point? That the reason Zoe was there was because she was the only one willing to go there? The checks aren't fat enough to neglect a job on which you can write whatever so why weren't they there?

This is exactly the same commentary Lewis provides. "Something-something editors = bad. Was it his fault? Meh who cares".
Comparing me to a sperglord like "Mr. I want to fuck the green M&M"? You wound me, sir!

But seriously -you are right that a lot of people didn't care at that,which led to Vertigo resorting to hiring Quinn and other carriers of CancerAIDS because controversy was the only thing they had left. If DC gave a fuck and offered decent paychecks to good writers like Warren Ellis, Vertigo would still be alive. As someone who has been reading comics since the 80s, it disheartens me to see Vertigo go from a label that gave us Preacher, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Transmetropolitan, and The Invisibles to badly drawn garbage written by sex pests blaming everything on white people and Chelsea's shit attempt to copy/paste Neuromancer and Snow Crash.

The Jokester

I'm bleeding again - what's up with that?!
kiwifarms.net
As you guys can see by my account, I am a massive fan of DC's Earth 3. I wanted a good Earth 3 series run for years.

I thank Christ everyday that DC hasn't touch my favourite Elseworld and that Brian Falsworth is dead.

Odets

kiwifarms.net
If DC gave a fuck and offered decent paychecks to good writers like Warren Ellis, Vertigo would still be alive.
And if only we wished hard enough we could have achieved world peace:heart-empty: Get out of here with this sentimental bulshit. Putting a thing on 27 life support systems and giving it special privileges just because of the name/the past? That's just stupid and counterproductive. Especially when it already had a good run and an impact. Did the recent books needed cancellation? Yes. And that's only thing that matters.

You could just say "Mark Waid" and get the same message, although Mark Waid is closer to 60 than 50 and well on his way to dying alone.
I was talking about Dan Slott actually. should have been more specific with these people

Last edited:

Webby's Boyfriend

has a fetish for nerdy teen toon lassies
kiwifarms.net
Why are comicbooks so exceptionally overpriced? I've visited a comicbook shop and most issues have a $3,99 price tag. I don't live in the US, so that shop uses Euro prices which equals to like $4,50 for a comicbook, a few sheets of printed paper 15-30 minutes worth of entertainment.

Easterling

Master of the fabled Tiananmen square dance
kiwifarms.net
Why are comicbooks so exceptionally overpriced? I've visited a comicbook shop and most issues have a $3,99 price tag. I don't live in the US, so that shop uses Euro prices which equals to like $4,50 for a comicbook, a few sheets of printed paper 15-30 minutes worth of entertainment.
I buy the hardbacks for the precisely that reason, its more expensive overall but they're less likely to get damaged that way, its easier when your buying older stuff, which for me is the black moon chronicles or A.D 2000 stuff like Slain or Strontium dog.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Because they're sold to the same kind of dipshits who think $6 is a good price for a cup of coffee.

Affluent Reptilian

kiwifarms.net
Life and Death of Toyo Harada was, unsurprisingly, really good. He continues to be one of comics' best anti-villains, combining many genuine good intentions and at least some degree of moral self-awareness with a willingness to use completely immoral means.

I implore anyone who has even a passing interest in the Valiant characters but for some reason hasn't tried the new Valiant to give it a try. It is so much more consistent than the Big 2, and because of the relatively small roster of characters and brief history all of the events and different series hang together in a very coherent fashion. The Valiant crossover from 2015 is a good jumping on point, but I'd also recommend reading Harbinger from the first issue.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I present to you the biggest piece of "we're trying to piss you off" that DC has done in a while with Mariko "Food Obsession" Tamaki's new Harley Quinn book, "Breaking Glass". Where a teenaged Harley teams up with a black Poison Ivy to fight an evil real estate developer who wants to evict a drag queen.
Here's a video about it...

Jetpack Himmler

Grizzled Culture War Veteran
kiwifarms.net
Johns had a known history for ignoring continuity and inserting fan theories. I've seen at least one instance where he wrote a book's writers his own pet theory, the writers tell him he's wrong in the mail section at the end of the book, only to years later write said character and decide "gee, now my theory is right!"
That was Superboy, or more specifically Connor Kent. While thought that making him a hybrid Superman/Lex Luthor clone was a fan wank of the highest order, I always thought his original origin as a clone of some largely forgettable character given a close approximation of Superman's powers was, "meh" at best. Not that it stopped me from enjoying the 90s series or the character after the retcon.

I'm surprised no one brought up Johns' bringing Barry Allen back to the fore as the Flash. That really polarized the fanbase.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino