Sperg about comic books here -

$MY_COCK

DOLLAR DOLLAR BILL, Y’ALL
kiwifarms.net
It's also got such winning dialogue like: "There's something magically lovely about watching people sing. It's like watching people be their most person. It's like watching them be their true true."
Sounds like the future rеtаrd language from “Cloud Atlas.”

MisterBee

kiwifarms.net
That was Superboy, or more specifically Connor Kent. While thought that making him a hybrid Superman/Lex Luthor clone was a fan wank of the highest order, I always thought his original origin as a clone of some largely forgettable character given a close approximation of Superman's powers was, "meh" at best. Not that it stopped me from enjoying the 90s series or the character after the retcon.

I'm surprised no one brought up Johns' bringing Barry Allen back to the fore as the Flash. That really polarized the fanbase.
Not the only time. A fan asked johns at a con right after his teen Titans title started in the early 00s several questions about Bart Allen.

Johns said, and I quote "I didn't like him, so I changed him until I liked him". When pressured about why Bart's previous girlfriend was treated as non-existent, johns said "well, they weren't really close...". Geoff johns has a known history of jettisoning huge sections of continuity because he feels like it.

If he wants to do that, fine, just then don't ask to write anything that relies on continuity. And don't rely on a rabid fanbase that will keep pointing at that damn JSA run that's old enough to drink that he didn't even write solo.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
What the fuck is this.
This year, DC released a series of graphic novels aimed at YA readers (ie 10 year old girls and 40 year old childless women). Each one of the graphic novels reimagines a DC heroine as a soppy, listless YA protagonist. The art in these books are universally terrible, and the writing even worse.

YA literature is universally trash written by horny middle aged women who want to rub one off to a bunch of teenagers, but companies think if they hired enough of these idiots they're going to wind up with the next Twilight or Harry Potter.

Lemmingwise

Blamer
kiwifarms.net

Marvel Still Trying to Make Its Top Nazi-Puncher Apolitical

by: Rachel Leishman

Ever think of Marvel and think, “Huh, you know how they can be apolitical? By using Captain America, the super-soldier who punches Nazis”? No? Well, good for you! You’d be in the majority. It seems, however, that Marvel is trying to take a neutral stance and thinks that their Nazi-fighting good boy from Brooklyn is the way to do it—truly, a mistake.

In a new comic meant to honor the publisher’s history, Marvel Comics #1000 contained an essay by comics writer Mark Waid that talked about the state of America and what it means for a symbol like Captain America. The problem is that the essay was dropped from the issue, replaced by one less critical of America, as reported by The Hollywood Reporter based on early versions sent to retailers, with the final retail version on sale tomorrow.

(Waid has since told Newsarama, “The only comment I’ll offer is that the abridged version that’s being circulated by news outlets severely mischaracterizes what was actually written,” so we’ll certainly be interested to see the final version of the essay. You can already read the original in full.)

Here’s the thing: Captain America never has been and never will be apolitical. Sorry! Jack Kirby and Joe Simon literally made Captain America as a symbol for resistance against bigotry, racism, and hatred, so … he’s not apolitical in nature. As io9 points out, this isn’t the first time that Marvel has censored a writer to remain an apolitical body.

The situation with the Marvel Comics #1000 essay appears to be another example of Marvel Comics censoring its creators in an attempt to be apolitical, to the detriment of the company and its audience. You may recall EiC Cebulski going on record on the subject almost one year to the day: “We can’t get too deep into the politics,” he said of Marvel storylines.

(This is all also strikingly similar to another recent incident.)

What’s funny about the idea of not going “too deep into the politics” is that Captain America: Civil War is a real movie based on a real comic run that exists and is, if you recall, very political in its themes of security vs. freedom, especially in the 2006-7 timeframe it was released.

What’s interesting about this “apolitical” approach is that it’s happening now, after both Jack Kirby and Stan Lee are dead. These two created these characters with a message, tackling the issues in the world around them through heroes and their approach to a situation. Take away Captain America fighting against the injustice in America, and what do you have? A kid from Brooklyn who wants to punch things.

If you put Captain America in this current political landscape—as you should, because that’s why he was created—he’d hate that Nazis were being “protected” because of their right to free speech, and I’m pretty sure that Steve Rogers would march his American Ass to the White House and have a few words with Donald Trump over how he treats women, people of color, and anyone who isn’t rich and white.

So, while Marvel seems to think an apolitical approach is best, that’s definitely not the case. You have heroes who have political backgrounds who take a stand against injustice, and trying to turn them into something that is “apolitical” is a disservice to the characters and their creators.

Rabidcolombian

kiwifarms.net
If you put Captain America in this current political landscape—as you should, because that’s why he was created—he’d hate that Nazis were being “protected” because of their right to free speech, and I’m pretty sure that Steve Rogers would march his American Ass to the White House and have a few words with Donald Trump over how he treats women, people of color, and anyone who isn’t rich and white.
BTW, I'm just goanna put this right here

1506307824417582.jpg

1506307825772890.jpg

1506307840838064.jpg

1506307860729210.jpg

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
My two cents regarding the Cap/Marvel 1000/Marvel in general nonsense:

The latest Captain America comic had Steve going to the Mexico border to help illegal immigrants cross the border, which was being guarded by some militia group. To give the smallest of credit, Steve did ask at one point if they had any right to get involved because what they were doing was illegal, but he was shut down by (I think) White Tiger, who gave some vague answer and that was that. When Sam Wilson was Cap, he had a similar arc except it was corrupt police and black people. Marvel isn't exactly known for being a-political at all.

So, why would an America sucks rant be censored? I'd guess it has way more to do with a "wrong place, wrong time" thing. Marvel 1000 is a celebration of Marvel comics. Each page was a little story starting from the 1940s when Marvel was first becoming a thing, slowly jumping through the years to highlight all the major achievements throughout the years, with a good portion of the book being focused on the pre 2000's stuff. Topping all that off with a "here's why America sucks" style rant would just be gigantic tonal whiplash that has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the material.

I'm sure if it was somehow worked into a story, Marvel would have published it. They haven't exactly been shy about having overly political comics and inserting villainous Trump stand ins or other current political things like saying it is okay to punch nazi's, supporting illegal immigrants, feminism etc. Though it is worth noting said stories are usually panned or in the case of entire books/characters being created around such themes, tend to last a few issues then get cancelled. It is always fun to see SJW's eating their own, kinda curious to see if anything else comes from this or if it just gets quietly swept under the rug.

• Agree
Reactions: Wärring Ornac

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
My two cents regarding the Cap/Marvel 1000/Marvel in general nonsense:

The latest Captain America comic had Steve going to the Mexico border to help illegal immigrants cross the border, which was being guarded by some militia group. To give the smallest of credit, Steve did ask at one point if they had any right to get involved because what they were doing was illegal, but he was shut down by (I think) White Tiger, who gave some vague answer and that was that. When Sam Wilson was Cap, he had a similar arc except it was corrupt police and black people. Marvel isn't exactly known for being a-political at all.

So, why would an America sucks rant be censored? I'd guess it has way more to do with a "wrong place, wrong time" thing. Marvel 1000 is a celebration of Marvel comics. Each page was a little story starting from the 1940s when Marvel was first becoming a thing, slowly jumping through the years to highlight all the major achievements throughout the years, with a good portion of the book being focused on the pre 2000's stuff. Topping all that off with a "here's why America sucks" style rant would just be gigantic tonal whiplash that has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the material.

I'm sure if it was somehow worked into a story, Marvel would have published it. They haven't exactly been shy about having overly political comics and inserting villainous Trump stand ins or other current political things like saying it is okay to punch nazi's, supporting illegal immigrants, feminism etc. Though it is worth noting said stories are usually panned or in the case of entire books/characters being created around such themes, tend to last a few issues then get cancelled. It is always fun to see SJW's eating their own, kinda curious to see if anything else comes from this or if it just gets quietly swept under the rug.
Rumor is Ike Perlmutter's back from the Animation/TV side of Marvel and isn't happy with the overtly political shit the comics have been doing the last few years and is putting his foot down.
President supergirl

I love how Brian Micheal bendis made her look like Hillary Clinton in a super costume, they're not even trying to hide the wold they create in comics, tv, and movies is the one they're crying to be made real.
Which is ironic since Hillary was notoriously a centrist policy wise and likely wouldn't have given these speds the PC wonderland they wanted if she had won.

Makes me wonder if they'd be shrilling as hard for Bernie if he had got the nom instead

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Captain America was created because Simon and Kirby saw the writing on the wall and wanted America to go to war against Nazi Germany, not because they wanted him to be a vigilante going around America confronting bigotry or whatever. Superman and other superheroes were also repurposed during that era to support the war. He wasn't written to be a critique of America itself, he was written to be emblematic of all those mythical starry-eyed boys going to war to fight the evil Nazi Germany. It's why he lost his popularity after the war and was only revived in the 60s.

It's just more examples of modern day political spergs thinking the current situation in America is similar to World War II, and it isn't. Cap wouldn't support unlimited illegal immigration or whatever and I doubt he'd support antifa going out and beating citizens in the streets. He also certainly wouldn't support military hate.

Maybe he isn't completely apolitical, but Marvel made the very good point that the essay was supposed to be from the character's point of view on the Marvel world, and not Waid himself fucking politi-sperging.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino