Sperg about comic books here -

F

FF 215

kiwifarms.net
I really enjoyed (most of) Superior Spider-Man recently!
I also read about 70 issues of The Boys which was pretty good, then binged the show afterwards. I thought Annie and Hughie were much more likable on the Amazon show than in the comics, but there are a lot of little dumb reasons why the comics are worth reading. I don't want to spoil anything though so this concludes my sperging.

Water-T

Let's go crunch some numbers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really enjoyed (most of) Superior Spider-Man recently!
I also read about 70 issues of The Boys which was pretty good, then binged the show afterwards. I thought Annie and Hughie were much more likable on the Amazon show than in the comics, but there are a lot of little dumb reasons why the comics are worth reading. I don't want to spoil anything though so this concludes my sperging.
Agreed. It changes a lot of things, but keeps the core theme and characterization from the comic. If anything, it made The Female more likeable, and Homelander more of a threat - changing him from "Superman with a soiled diaper" to "terrifying sociopath Superman with an Oedipus complex".

Plus the season finale had a hell of a twist. Cannot wait for season 2.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Captain America was created because Simon and Kirby saw the writing on the wall and wanted America to go to war against Nazi Germany, not because they wanted him to be a vigilante going around America confronting bigotry or whatever. Superman and other superheroes were also repurposed during that era to support the war. He wasn't written to be a critique of America itself, he was written to be emblematic of all those mythical starry-eyed boys going to war to fight the evil Nazi Germany. It's why he lost his popularity after the war and was only revived in the 60s.

It's just more examples of modern day political spergs thinking the current situation in America is similar to World War II, and it isn't. Cap wouldn't support unlimited illegal immigration or whatever and I doubt he'd support antifa going out and beating citizens in the streets. He also certainly wouldn't support military hate.

Maybe he isn't completely apolitical, but Marvel made the very good point that the essay was supposed to be from the character's point of view on the Marvel world, and not Waid himself fucking politi-sperging.
Captain America and Superman are not Partisan hacks (though they’re also not Boogie2988 tier fencesitters) They fight for ideals bigger than than liberal or conservative.

Agreed. It changes a lot of things, but keeps the core theme and characterization from the comic. If anything, it made The Female more likeable, and Homelander more of a threat - changing him from "Superman with a soiled diaper" to "terrifying sociopath Superman with an Oedipus complex".

From the clips I’ve seen he comes off as a live action version of silver age Superman covers (you know the ones)

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
Captain America was created because Simon and Kirby saw the writing on the wall and wanted America to go to war against Nazi Germany, not because they wanted him to be a vigilante going around America confronting bigotry or whatever. Superman and other superheroes were also repurposed during that era to support the war. He wasn't written to be a critique of America itself, he was written to be emblematic of all those mythical starry-eyed boys going to war to fight the evil Nazi Germany. It's why he lost his popularity after the war and was only revived in the 60s.

It's just more examples of modern day political spergs thinking the current situation in America is similar to World War II, and it isn't. Cap wouldn't support unlimited illegal immigration or whatever and I doubt he'd support antifa going out and beating citizens in the streets. He also certainly wouldn't support military hate.

Maybe he isn't completely apolitical, but Marvel made the very good point that the essay was supposed to be from the character's point of view on the Marvel world, and not Waid himself fucking politi-sperging.
It wasn't just Cap after WWII Super-Heroes in general pretty much died out as a genre until the mid 1950s.

The reason why Bats,Supes and Wondy are the Trinity is because their books were the only super hero titles DC continued to publish after WWII.

That's something that's always amused me about SocJus tards insisting comics have always been political when overtly political heroes completely died once the war was over.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
That's something that's always amused me about SocJus tards insisting comics have always been political when overtly political heroes completely died once the war was over.
They were political, but they were hardcore patriot political during wartime.

Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

Water-T

Let's go crunch some numbers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finally got to read Millenium #1, the first of a two part series meant to reboot the Legion of Super-Heroes for the 4th time.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!

Aside from a short appearance of Supergirl as Future Hillary Clinton, there are NO Legion members in the book. It is all about Rose Forrest aka "The Thorn", a schizo vigilante z-list character who had NOTHING to do with LOSH in any of their incarnations. This might fly for a mini series that goes on for several issues, but not for a two parter. Wasting half of an event book on an ancillary character and leaving out the main cast in the first half is just r-tarded.

Bendis has been sniffing his own farts for so long that it rotted his brain and made him think that this bullshit is acceptable.

To add insult to injury, aside from the section drawn by Jim Lee, the art was garbage.

Goddamnit, DC. You were doing so well with Rebirth, but between this, the stupidity of "Heroes in Crisis", and letting Johns drag his ass on Doomsday Clock, you're starting to lose the plot again. At least the return of the JSA in JLA #30 gives me hope.

To quote RuPaul - "Don't fuck it up".

punished_snake

nanomachines, son
kiwifarms.net
Alright so I read the first issue of King's Superman: Up in the Sky and I really enjoyed it.

I've never been a big Superman fan but this issue got me hooked off the bat. It's really gud and I'm glad to see that Tommy boy ain't wasting his talent on Batman for the rest of his life.

Tor Lugosi

kiwifarms.net
On the classic X-Men front:
- I was surprised that Rogue's initial push into becoming a hero starts in Rom the Space Knight of all books. It's implied that she feels her first taste of 'decency' from attempting to drain Rom but given that her first story has her draining Ms. Marvel and the Avengers that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Regardless, I like Rogue and Bill Mantlo is a great writer so it's still an enjoyable two-part story.

- I'm at the start of the Brood saga. I've always remembered the Brood as mindless, xenomorph-esque aliens but they're actually intelligent and organized. I'm not sure where I got that impression of them from. Maybe the '90s cartoon?

- #159 is goofy and entertaining. While I'm not sure if it actually was one, this issue feels like one of their 'warehouse' issues, a concept Marv Wolfman came up with during his editor-in-chief stint. Basically he had writers & artists crank out a couple of quick issues that would sit around until the book was in danger of missing a deadline, then they'd grab one of those, update the dialogue where needed, and ship it so that the book wouldn't miss a month.

In this one, randomly off-page, Storm gets attacked by Dracula and is in the process of turning. This leads to Kitty doing her best Van Helsing impersonation:
And even Wolverine trying to make a cross with his claws:
Fittingly, Nightcrawler ends up being the most dangerous to Dracula due to his strong, genuine faith in God.

It's issues like this that make it obvious how decompressed comics are today. The story is fairly self-contained and has a beginning, middle, and end with decent pacing. Today the same story would probably need at least three issues to be told.

- I'm guessing #160 is around when they started working on New Mutants and wanted Illyana to be part of the team. She goes from her usual appearance of looking like a 3 ~ 5 year old in #158:
To looking like she's 10 ~ 13 in #160:

Last edited:

ATaxingWoman

HERE'S THE PROFESSIONAL TAX INVESTIGATOR!
kiwifarms.net
I have a sperg to get off my chest today. I was reading one of those Dark Horse Studio Proteus mangas from the 90's (Version 1.1 in case you were interested.) I had bought all 15 fifteen issues at once because I had read the first issue when I was younger and I was wondering how it ended. The thing is, it didn't... The last issue just said to be continued and when searched the web for the next issue, I find that the author just abandoned the series. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time being with another Dark Horse manga called Drakuun.

It really pissed me off because I became really invested in the story and now I will never how it ends. Have any of you ever experienced something like that with any of the books you've read?

I know in America books get cancelled mid series because they just don't sell well, but I thought the attitude was different in Japan, especially in the 90's when anime was taking off in the states.
It's terrible when that happens. No matter how shitty it is, a rushed ending is always better to me than something that just ends mid-way without any closure whatsoever.

Personally, I wish Ai Yazawa would finish Nana, but it's been on indefinite hiatus since 2009 so at this point, I doubt it's going to happen

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Trollshield
kiwifarms.net
It's terrible when that happens. No matter how shitty it is, a rushed ending is always better to me than something that just ends mid-way without any closure whatsoever.

Personally, I wish Ai Yazawa would finish Nana, but it's been on indefinite hiatus since 2009 so at this point, I doubt it's going to happen
I just found out the author died in 1995, so that's why Version never got finished. That is a shame because he some really deep thoughts about how life was created in that book.

Last edited:

Detrogen

Real Humdinger
kiwifarms.net
I finally caught up on a lot of the floppies I’ve had lying around. Today I finished up all of my DC New Age of Heroes stuff (Damage, Sideways, Silencer etc), Major X #0, and Batman Universe #1.

Definitely not interested enough in Batman Universe to continue it. I don’t dislike Bendis by any stretch, but he’s very hit or miss and this was definitely a miss for me.

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Trollshield
kiwifarms.net
I finally caught up on a lot of the floppies I’ve had lying around. Today I finished up all of my DC New Age of Heroes stuff (Damage, Sideways, Silencer etc), Major X #0, and Batman Universe #1.

Definitely not interested enough in Batman Universe to continue it. I don’t dislike Bendis by any stretch, but he’s very hit or miss and this was definitely a miss for me.
Tom King killed off any interest I had in Batman. Now I think the character is overrated and should pass down his mantle to one of his many protégés.

jellycar

Actually Patty Hearst/Fake Jan Brady
kiwifarms.net
On the classic X-Men front:
- I was surprised that Rogue's initial push into becoming a hero starts in Rom the Space Knight of all books. It's implied that she feels her first taste of 'decency' from attempting to drain Rom but given that her first story has her draining Ms. Marvel and the Avengers that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Regardless, I like Rogue and Bill Mantlo is a great writer so it's still an enjoyable two-part story.

- I'm at the start of the Brood saga. I've always remembered the Brood as mindless, xenomorph-esque aliens but they're actually intelligent and organized. I'm not sure where I got that impression of them from. Maybe the '90s cartoon?

- #159 is goofy and entertaining. While I'm not sure if it actually was one, this issue feels like one of their 'warehouse' issues, a concept Marv Wolfman came up with during his editor-in-chief stint. Basically he had writers & artists crank out a couple of quick issues that would sit around until the book was in danger of missing a deadline, then they'd grab one of those, update the dialogue where needed, and ship it so that the book wouldn't miss a month.

In this one, randomly off-page, Storm gets attacked by Dracula and is in the process of turning. This leads to Kitty doing her best Van Helsing impersonation:
And even Wolverine trying to make a cross with his claws:
Fittingly, Nightcrawler ends up being the most dangerous to Dracula due to his strong, genuine faith in God.

It's issues like this that make it obvious how decompressed comics are today. The story is fairly self-contained and has a beginning, middle, and end with decent pacing. Today the same story would probably need at least three issues to be told.

- I'm guessing #160 is around when they started working on New Mutants and wanted Illyana to be part of the team. She goes from her usual appearance of looking like a 3 ~ 5 year old in #158:
To looking like she's 10 ~ 13 in #160:
Ahh you aren't at the part with Barbarella-I mean Callisto keeping Angel as her nearly naked sex slave.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net

Personally, I've long accepted that Vol. 21 of NANA is, for better or worse, the end of the series. If she does more, I'd be happy, but I don't really expect it anymore. Whether her health is legit that bad or she's just using it as an excuse, Yazawa hasn't done any regular work in a decade; just odds and ends every so often for promotional stuff and merchandise and whatnot.

Reactions: ATaxingWoman

OfflineCyberBully

Online Only
kiwifarms.net
Finally got around to reading "God Complex" and enjoyed the Iron Man/Thor team-up.
I'm digging Kibblesmith's "Loki" series and I'm curious as to how it may reboot or otherwise tie-in with whatever the new "Thor" team has in store, whoever that new team ends up being.

It's been decades since I've read any X-men books, but Hickman's House of/Powers of X books seem interesting. Do they really reboot the X-part of Earth-616?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino