Sperg about comic books here -

Water-T

Zach made me clean the shower with my mouth again
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finally got to read Millenium #1, the first of a two part series meant to reboot the Legion of Super-Heroes for the 4th time.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!

Aside from a short appearance of Supergirl as Future Hillary Clinton, there are NO Legion members in the book. It is all about Rose Forrest aka "The Thorn", a schizo vigilante z-list character who had NOTHING to do with LOSH in any of their incarnations. This might fly for a mini series that goes on for several issues, but not for a two parter. Wasting half of an event book on an ancillary character and leaving out the main cast in the first half is just r-tarded.

Bendis has been sniffing his own farts for so long that it rotted his brain and made him think that this bullshit is acceptable.

To add insult to injury, aside from the section drawn by Jim Lee, the art was garbage.

Goddamnit, DC. You were doing so well with Rebirth, but between this, the stupidity of "Heroes in Crisis", and letting Johns drag his ass on Doomsday Clock, you're starting to lose the plot again. At least the return of the JSA in JLA #30 gives me hope.

To quote RuPaul - "Don't fuck it up".

punished_snake

nanomachines, son
kiwifarms.net
Alright so I read the first issue of King's Superman: Up in the Sky and I really enjoyed it.

I've never been a big Superman fan but this issue got me hooked off the bat. It's really gud and I'm glad to see that Tommy boy ain't wasting his talent on Batman for the rest of his life.

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
On the classic X-Men front:
- I was surprised that Rogue's initial push into becoming a hero starts in Rom the Space Knight of all books. It's implied that she feels her first taste of 'decency' from attempting to drain Rom but given that her first story has her draining Ms. Marvel and the Avengers that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Regardless, I like Rogue and Bill Mantlo is a great writer so it's still an enjoyable two-part story.

- I'm at the start of the Brood saga. I've always remembered the Brood as mindless, xenomorph-esque aliens but they're actually intelligent and organized. I'm not sure where I got that impression of them from. Maybe the '90s cartoon?

- #159 is goofy and entertaining. While I'm not sure if it actually was one, this issue feels like one of their 'warehouse' issues, a concept Marv Wolfman came up with during his editor-in-chief stint. Basically he had writers & artists crank out a couple of quick issues that would sit around until the book was in danger of missing a deadline, then they'd grab one of those, update the dialogue where needed, and ship it so that the book wouldn't miss a month.

In this one, randomly off-page, Storm gets attacked by Dracula and is in the process of turning. This leads to Kitty doing her best Van Helsing impersonation:
And even Wolverine trying to make a cross with his claws:
Fittingly, Nightcrawler ends up being the most dangerous to Dracula due to his strong, genuine faith in God.

It's issues like this that make it obvious how decompressed comics are today. The story is fairly self-contained and has a beginning, middle, and end with decent pacing. Today the same story would probably need at least three issues to be told.

- I'm guessing #160 is around when they started working on New Mutants and wanted Illyana to be part of the team. She goes from her usual appearance of looking like a 3 ~ 5 year old in #158:
To looking like she's 10 ~ 13 in #160:

Last edited:

ATaxingWoman

Professional Tax Investigator Phantom
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a sperg to get off my chest today. I was reading one of those Dark Horse Studio Proteus mangas from the 90's (Version 1.1 in case you were interested.) I had bought all 15 fifteen issues at once because I had read the first issue when I was younger and I was wondering how it ended. The thing is, it didn't... The last issue just said to be continued and when searched the web for the next issue, I find that the author just abandoned the series. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time being with another Dark Horse manga called Drakuun.

It really pissed me off because I became really invested in the story and now I will never how it ends. Have any of you ever experienced something like that with any of the books you've read?

I know in America books get cancelled mid series because they just don't sell well, but I thought the attitude was different in Japan, especially in the 90's when anime was taking off in the states.
It's terrible when that happens. No matter how shitty it is, a rushed ending is always better to me than something that just ends mid-way without any closure whatsoever.

Personally, I wish Ai Yazawa would finish Nana, but it's been on indefinite hiatus since 2009 so at this point, I doubt it's going to happen

TrunksFromDragonballGT

My pronouns are he and her
kiwifarms.net
It's terrible when that happens. No matter how shitty it is, a rushed ending is always better to me than something that just ends mid-way without any closure whatsoever.

Personally, I wish Ai Yazawa would finish Nana, but it's been on indefinite hiatus since 2009 so at this point, I doubt it's going to happen
I just found out the author died in 1995, so that's why Version never got finished. That is a shame because he some really deep thoughts about how life was created in that book.

Last edited:

Detrogen

Senior Citizen Virgin
kiwifarms.net
I finally caught up on a lot of the floppies I’ve had lying around. Today I finished up all of my DC New Age of Heroes stuff (Damage, Sideways, Silencer etc), Major X #0, and Batman Universe #1.

Definitely not interested enough in Batman Universe to continue it. I don’t dislike Bendis by any stretch, but he’s very hit or miss and this was definitely a miss for me.

TrunksFromDragonballGT

My pronouns are he and her
kiwifarms.net
I finally caught up on a lot of the floppies I’ve had lying around. Today I finished up all of my DC New Age of Heroes stuff (Damage, Sideways, Silencer etc), Major X #0, and Batman Universe #1.

Definitely not interested enough in Batman Universe to continue it. I don’t dislike Bendis by any stretch, but he’s very hit or miss and this was definitely a miss for me.
Tom King killed off any interest I had in Batman. Now I think the character is overrated and should pass down his mantle to one of his many protégés.

jellycar

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On the classic X-Men front:
- I was surprised that Rogue's initial push into becoming a hero starts in Rom the Space Knight of all books. It's implied that she feels her first taste of 'decency' from attempting to drain Rom but given that her first story has her draining Ms. Marvel and the Avengers that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Regardless, I like Rogue and Bill Mantlo is a great writer so it's still an enjoyable two-part story.

- I'm at the start of the Brood saga. I've always remembered the Brood as mindless, xenomorph-esque aliens but they're actually intelligent and organized. I'm not sure where I got that impression of them from. Maybe the '90s cartoon?

- #159 is goofy and entertaining. While I'm not sure if it actually was one, this issue feels like one of their 'warehouse' issues, a concept Marv Wolfman came up with during his editor-in-chief stint. Basically he had writers & artists crank out a couple of quick issues that would sit around until the book was in danger of missing a deadline, then they'd grab one of those, update the dialogue where needed, and ship it so that the book wouldn't miss a month.

In this one, randomly off-page, Storm gets attacked by Dracula and is in the process of turning. This leads to Kitty doing her best Van Helsing impersonation:
And even Wolverine trying to make a cross with his claws:
Fittingly, Nightcrawler ends up being the most dangerous to Dracula due to his strong, genuine faith in God.

It's issues like this that make it obvious how decompressed comics are today. The story is fairly self-contained and has a beginning, middle, and end with decent pacing. Today the same story would probably need at least three issues to be told.

- I'm guessing #160 is around when they started working on New Mutants and wanted Illyana to be part of the team. She goes from her usual appearance of looking like a 3 ~ 5 year old in #158:
To looking like she's 10 ~ 13 in #160:
Ahh you aren't at the part with Barbarella-I mean Callisto keeping Angel as her nearly naked sex slave.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net

Personally, I've long accepted that Vol. 21 of NANA is, for better or worse, the end of the series. If she does more, I'd be happy, but I don't really expect it anymore. Whether her health is legit that bad or she's just using it as an excuse, Yazawa hasn't done any regular work in a decade; just odds and ends every so often for promotional stuff and merchandise and whatnot.

Reactions: ATaxingWoman

OfflineCyberBully

Online Only
kiwifarms.net
Finally got around to reading "God Complex" and enjoyed the Iron Man/Thor team-up.
I'm digging Kibblesmith's "Loki" series and I'm curious as to how it may reboot or otherwise tie-in with whatever the new "Thor" team has in store, whoever that new team ends up being.

It's been decades since I've read any X-men books, but Hickman's House of/Powers of X books seem interesting. Do they really reboot the X-part of Earth-616?

Water-T

Zach made me clean the shower with my mouth again
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finally got around to reading "God Complex" and enjoyed the Iron Man/Thor team-up.
I'm digging Kibblesmith's "Loki" series and I'm curious as to how it may reboot or otherwise tie-in with whatever the new "Thor" team has in store, whoever that new team ends up being.

It's been decades since I've read any X-men books, but Hickman's House of/Powers of X books seem interesting. Do they really reboot the X-part of Earth-616?
I don't think so. Here's a spoiler filled primer for HOXPOX:

Turns out that Moira MacTaggert IS a mutant. This explains why she was the only "human" to get the Legacy virus.
Her power works two ways: When she dies, she lives her life over again, carrying all memories of her prior lives even as a fetus. She is now on her tenth (roman numeral X) life. It makes her undetectable as a mutant with some exceptions - Destiny's precognition got around this, and Xavier was only able to see her memories of her past lives when she let him.

Her first life had her marry and have kids, then die of old age.
Her second is when she realized she was living her life over again, but did not marry and have kids. Realized she was a mutant and went to see Xavier, but she died when her plane crashed
Her third life is when she decided to find a cure for mutancy. Destiny foresaw this, and Mystique and the Brotherhood attacked her lab and killed everyone else there. Destiny swore to use her precognition to stop and murder Moira regardless of how many times they have to find her again and kill her if she decides to "cure" mutants instead of help them. Destiny also said that she foresaw that Moira's powers only allow her 10 lives in all (maybe 11 if she plays her cards right), and that if she dies before her mutation kicks in at puberty, then the rebirth cycle ends. Then Pyro sets her on fire and life #4 begins.

Thus lives #4 through #9 involve Moira trying different tactics to save the mutant race. Getting Xavier to start an independant mutant nation. Teaming up with Magento instead. Teaming up with Apocalypse. Killing every member of the Trask family to prevent the Sentinels from being made. All failed, big time.

So now she's on life number 10, meeting up with Xavier much sooner than before and telling him everything about her and her past lives, in hopes of getting it right since this might be her last life.

On top of this, Krakoa is now a mutant sovereign nation, with it's own language and culture. The living isle is now a sentient land/computer, run by the help of Cypher and his super hacking/language powers. A group called Orchis is assembling a base in space that will build Mother Mold, a machine that can mass produce Master Molds, which are Sentinel production factories. This is the factor is all of Moira's lives that leads to the decimation of mutants. Several mutants - including Wolverine and Nightcrawler - go to the base and succeed in destroying the Mother Mold moments before she comes online...but they all die horribly in the process.

Yet Xavier has assembled 5 mutants whose powers combined can resurrect mutants who died, called the Resurrection Protocols. Goldballs (yes, that is his name) produces giant gold balls that are actually unviable eggs. Proteus uses his reality warping to make them viable. The dead mutant's DNA is injected and "kickstarted" by Elixir's healing powers. Their growth is accelerated by Tempus' time manipulation. Hope's copy/amplification powers help boost and synchronize everyone else's so the process works 100% of the time. Then Xavier downloads a copy of their memories into their body. He wears Cerebro at all times and has "backup files" in his head and in other locations. Now mutants are essentially immortal.

Which now leads to The Council: Professor X, White Queen, Magneto, Exodus, Apocalypse, Mister Sinister, Nightcrawler, Storm, Mystique, Black King, Marvel Girl, and a member that Emma chose called "Red King" that is not yet known. They are judge and jury for mutantkind, and condemned Sabretooth to eternally be buried alive beneath Krakoa FOREVER for his crimes. They established three laws: Killing a human is a crime (since they cannot be resurrected by the Protocols), Krakoa is sacred land, and for mutants to freely reproduce.

They made a bargain with the UN: recognize Krakoa as a sovereign nation and allow all mutants amnesty to become citizens of Krakoa, and any nations that recognizes it as such will get drugs made only from Krakoa that extends life by five years, eliminates mental disorders, and cures cancer. Only a few nations like Wakanda and Latveria have refused.

And all this is just in House of X 1 -6.

Powers of X deals with 100 years and 1000 years later, and how Sentinels have all but eliminated the mutant race, so I'm guessing they are the most possibly likely futures that Moira has been trying to prevent. There is only one issue left, which should finally explain where that all fits in.

Also, Millennium was garbage. The Legion doesn't even show up until the end of issue #2, and it's for some group shot. Nothing happened in both issues except Bendis trying to tie in OMAC, Kamandi, and other futures that occurred in the DCU, because that's apparently what people really wanted, and not a series explaining why the LOSH got rebooted YET AGAIN.

Detrogen

Senior Citizen Virgin
kiwifarms.net
Haven't you learned that any comic with that word on the cover is worthless?
At the very least I thoroughly enjoyed everything Bendis did with Avengers up to the completion of Siege. Since then though his dialogue and characters have been utterly awful.

Also, since someone mentioned it last paged, are they really getting a new crew on Thor? Jason Aaron’s Thor run has been consistently terrible and I’d love to be able to read that character again.

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
Got to the end of the Brood Saga in X-Men. What a weirdly anticlimactic story that was. The issue with Wolverine escaping the Brood and surviving the implanted egg is great and it feels like they're really setting up something special... and then telepathic spiritual space whales deflate the whole thing. Storm also becomes incredibly annoying during the end, with her whole "Sure, the Brood constantly commit genocide and want to kill me and everyone I know... but killing them would be wrong!" shit.

This is also the start of the New Mutants and I've read the first few issues. I like it for the most part so far but the group set-up seems weird, like a party comprised almost entirely of different bard sub-classes. Sunspot feels to be the only real exception but Claremont seems to have become very aware of the dangers of making characters too powerful around this time, with him giving Sunspot overt limits on his power and even powered-down Storm after the Brood arc.

Tags
None