Sperg about comic books here -

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
s-l1600.jpg

Been going over another title from yesteryear, the collection of Strnad and Dennis Fujitake's adaptions of some satirical stories by science fiction author Keith Laumer centered around his character Jame Retief, cool-headed ultra-competent junior diplomat for the Corps Diplomatique Terrestrienne that represents 27th century Earth out in space. He's really the only person in the organization who gets anything useful done, by bending the rules. These stories had been inspired by Laumer's time in the US Foreign Service, which included serving as vice-consul to Burma.

There were other adaptions of Laumer's Retief stories but these, originally published by Mad Dog Graphics, then collected in 1990 by Apple Comics, are the bizness as far as I'm concerned.
fujitake_retief_11in.jpg

ja1.JPG

ja2.JPG

ja3.JPG

ja4.JPG
ja5.JPG

ja6.JPG

Last edited:

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
So random thought... I wonder why DC never introduced control freak from the teen Titans cartoon into the regular DC universe. Mas y menos where properly integrated into the comics when they appeared in final crisis and the closest character to control freak is minor batman villain movie man.

Now though I'm kinda worried if they did try integrating control freak into mainstream DC comics. OK DC hasn't quite been infested by sjws the way marvel has (DC is a lot stricter on who they hire to work from them and almost never new talent pooled from tumblr) but I'd bet if they did make him a comic character they'd make him an overweight incel who lives in his parents basement with like a dozen waifu pillows and anime vinyl figures/pop figures. Who spends half his time commiting cyber crime the other half posting on 4chan 8kun or god forbid....this very site about how Rick and Morty sucks since season three brought in more female writers.

Reactions: Overly Serious

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
So random thought... I wonder why DC never introduced control freak from the teen Titans cartoon into the regular DC universe. Mas y menos where properly integrated into the comics when they appeared in final crisis and the closest character to control freak is minor batman villain movie man.

Now though I'm kinda worried if they did try integrating control freak into mainstream DC comics. OK DC hasn't quite been infested by sjws the way marvel has (DC is a lot stricter on who they hire to work from them and almost never new talent pooled from tumblr) but I'd bet if they did make him a comic character they'd make him an overweight incel who lives in his parents basement with like a dozen waifu pillows and anime vinyl figures/pop figures. Who spends half his time commiting cyber crime the other half posting on 4chan 8kun or god forbid....this very site about how Rick and Morty sucks since season three brought in more female writers.
I admit I haven't read Teen Titans in awhile, but DC was always pretty weird about wanting to make that book the dark and edgy one. It feels like they were trying to boost the sales and appeal to their older audience by showing it wasn't some kiddy comic like the various cartoons, but it just got to the point where they weren't doing anything overly fun or light hearted in favor of brooding and murdering their young characters.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis York Morgan

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
I admit I haven't read Teen Titans in awhile, but DC was always pretty weird about wanting to make that book the dark and edgy one. It feels like they were trying to boost the sales and appeal to their older audience by showing it wasn't some kiddy comic like the various cartoons, but it just got to the point where they weren't doing anything overly fun or light hearted in favor of brooding and murdering their young characters.
The rebirth version is probably the best run on the series in years. Imo it felt like they were trying to appeal to fans of the 2005 show and modern comic fans because it evokes a lot of imagery from the show. The team consisting of Robin, starfire, beast boy, with the exception of cyborg being mia since he's a justice league member now, instead we get kid flash and aqua lad. The setting of Titans tower being on the west coast as it was in the old show, and a lot of early story lines felt like plots from the show.

Don't know if the current series as on par with the early volumes though I've only got vol 1 to 3 in trade, hell IDK if the same team is working on it if there even is a teen titans book still going at this point. The shut down due to the pandemic coupled with Financial problems has left it hard for me to keep up with ongoing comic runs.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyber Bowling

Cyril Sneer

Why is the "Peace" symbol a Norse "Death" rune?
kiwifarms.net
It amazes me that the same people in the greater comic community that are outraged by any and all gun ownership, even that .22 that your grandfather had, is well beyond the pale but on the same hand people who have the ability to shoot Blasts out of their eyes that could kill someone is kosher and the people who want to just keep a eye on them are seen as blithering idiots. I am sure that will work out well.
I've been telling people for years that X3 is the best X-Men film simply by virtue of being the only one that portrays normal humans as having legitimate concerns about living in the presence of walking nukes (or that, "Out and Proud" psychos like Mystique notwithstanding, not all mutants may be terribly happy about being mutants, as demonstrated by Rogue).

Man, I'd forgotten how much of USM was just talking heads chattering at each other (also, classy movie having the opposing point of view stricken dumb by your sexy blonde mouthpiece, Brian, real classy).

That line BMB wrote near start of USM always makes me laugh considering how unflattering and destructive the mutants ended up being portrayed in the Ultimate Universe.
Well, look at that little speech he gives Gwen: did he not realize it basically positions the very existence of mutants as sufficient due cause for normal humans exterminating them? 🤔

View attachment 1350373

Been going over another title from yesteryear, the collection of Strnad and Dennis Fujitake's adaptions of some satirical stories by science fiction author Keith Laumer centered around his character Jame Retief, cool-headed ultra-competent junior diplomat for the Corps Diplomatique Terrestrienne that represents 27th century Earth out in space. He's really the only person in the organization who gets anything useful done, by bending the rules. These stories had been inspired by Laumer's time in the US Foreign Service, which included serving as vice-consul to Burma.

There were other adaptions of Laumer's Retief stories but these, originally published by Mad Dog Graphics, then collected in 1990 by Apple Comics, are the bizness as far as I'm concerned.
View attachment 1350355
That looks fucking amazing.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Another adaptation this small and short-lived comics outlet did was a really funny adaptation of Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures novels drawn by Phil Foglio.

• Informative
Reactions: Next Task

TchPiKinmup

kiwifarms.net
Bone was a great series (I think Walt Kelly would've liked it). I have mixed feelings on hearing that there's a Netflix version. Hopefully Jeff Smith will have some creative control and they'll keep the SJW crap out of the way.
Bone is a fantastic story from start to finish, with beautiful art and fun characters. I still haven't read the Quest for the Spark series of novels but the comic series + Rose are top notch. There have been rumbles and talks about adaptations ever since the series first started but nothing ever comes of them. The only things that actually came out were the TellTale video "games" which were far too ugly for me to bother with. Smith has an animation background so I've always wondered if it's not his influence ultimately killing the projects. Personally, I'd rather they never adapt another classic comic book story -- you cannot top the source material, full stop.

And Netflix? Has Netflix ever made a cartoon that 1) looked good, 2) with a good story, 3) and good cast, but 4) wasn't laden with some other sort of modern-day bullshit? Woe to the fans of Masters of the Universe, Kevin Smith will be casting his shadow over He-Man soon ...

But Jeff Smith has done a few other noteworthy books. Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil is hands-down the best story using Captain Marvel (fuck calling him "Shazam") since long before any of us were born. It accurately captures what is special about the character and his world. Geoff Johns could learn a thing or two. RASL, on the other hand, is a bizarre series that follows an art thief that can jump between alternate realities. It has a real old skewl indie feel, almost like something by Daniel Clowes. I couldn't really get into it but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

Reactions: Cyril Sneer

TchPiKinmup

kiwifarms.net
I've been telling people for years that X3 is the best X-Men film simply by virtue of being the only one that portrays normal humans as having legitimate concerns about living in the presence of walking nukes (or that, "Out and Proud" psychos like Mystique notwithstanding, not all mutants may be terribly happy about being mutants, as demonstrated by Rogue).
There is that. Plus that it wasn't directed by a child molester. I'm an X-Men fan from way back My first convention experience was only so I could get some x-books signed by Silvestri (whose art has never reached levels as when he was on Uncanny) and Lee, where they appeared because of their lame Cyberforce/Wildcats crossover and I hated the first two movies. There's almost nothing I like in them and that only gets clearer as more times passes. It's so stiff and lifeless and of-its-time, it honestly feels more like a 90s film than something from the 00s. X3 was a breath of fresh air because, while there was plenty of stupid dialog, it was comic book stupid. I all cannot deny the joy of sour grapes as all the fanboys turned.

And no, First Class, Apocalypse, Days of Future Past, and Dark Phoenix were garbage. There was a few key performances in them but they are bad films and bad adaptations of their source material.

Liquid Kent

MGTOWindu Nuffin
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1350373

View attachment 1350355
....since he was stationed and inspired by his time overseas (especially with his stint in Burma as you described), does that mean the analogy he has of the aliens as the nonwhite races compared to his own semi-autobiographical role as action-hero Retief?

Because that would be very disturbing given the circumstances.

Cyril Sneer

Why is the "Peace" symbol a Norse "Death" rune?
kiwifarms.net
....since he was stationed and inspired by his time overseas (especially with his stint in Burma as you described), does that mean the analogy he has of the aliens as the nonwhite races compared to his own semi-autobiographical role as action-hero Retief?

Because that would be very disturbing given the circumstances.
Reimagining foreigners as goofy alien creatures is the beating heart of the western literary canon. 😎

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Liquid Kent

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
In the next page she has the dragon watching over the tower beat him up so who know what condition he's in. The other bit I read (can't find the pages) where she confronts one of her sisters who she fumes how the sister has never really done anything with her life and let's say when the vain, full of herself diva sister is coming off as the more likable character you might want to rethink things.
Wait, what? I thought that was merely a dumb four-panel cartoon. This is something from an actual comic book? And that's not a parody but a character we're actually supposed to like? Um...

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1372027

He did Green Arrow, Green Hornet, Spider-Man, Batman and much more.

But I can’t forget The Question:

View attachment 1372033

Such great talent.
I think the first thing of his I read was Batman: Venom, which, while Batman might have been a bit out of character becoming a super-roid junkie, was still a pretty solid little story. And of course, he was the editor on the Bat-books during all the 90's crossovers (Knightfall, Contagion, Cataclysm, No Man's Land), which, while they weren't always great, still were pretty memorable.

Later, I wound of reading some of the more obvious highlights like his Ra's al Ghul stories and the GA/GL run. I also went on a kick in the mid 2000's where I was buying up decent-sized lots of reader copies of old 70's and 80's runs of books for pennies a piece, so I wound up reading stuff like his Daredevil run and his 70's Shazam! series.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Soooo didn't know where else to post this maybe under the news page but it'd be buried under the crank file that is op eds and fluff pieces.

Five big name west coast comics close due to low sales from covid.

How bout a joke my fellow kiwis?

What do you get when you take a comic book store and fly a great big trans flag and a gay pride flag right in the window under the symbols of some of the most famous and iconic superheroes of all time?

I'll tell you what you get you get WHAT YOU FUCKING DESERVE!

Tags
None