Sperg about comic books here -

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
O'Neil was one of the best Batman writers, being the one to give us modern Batman, almost two decades before either Frank Miller or Tim Burton got involved with the character. He was also a fantastic editor, keeping the Batman books fairly consistent and high quality during the '80s and '90s; once he left the position the quality of the books took a noticeable dive in quality until Grant Morrison came along.

He's mostly known for his DC work but he also had a stint over on Marvel. Unfortunately, all of his Marvel work I've read was pretty bad. His Spider-Man run is godawful (though mercifully short) and his years long Daredevil work is thoroughly mediocre, completely wasting everything Frank Miller had built up for the character. That said, I've seen people say his Iron Man run is a definitive one for the character.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net

Warren Ellis is apparently a sexual predator, which is...unfortunate. I really liked his Hellblazer work.

Warrens response to it.

I know this was brought up in the Batgirl writer thread, but no one cares about Batgirl anymore so I thought I'd post it here too. also I posted this before I knew it was brought up there and im too lazy to delete it.

Last edited:

Water-T

Zach made me clean the shower with my mouth again
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I heard about this, and think it's a fucking reeetarded witch hunt.

Are there sex pests, pedos, and rapists working in comics that need to be thrown into a bottomless well? Of course - but so does every other profession.

But some 50 year old guy getting into a relationship with a consenting woman when she's in her 20s IS NOT FUCKING GROOMING OR RAPE. Is it creepy and unethical? Well, duh. But it's not a crime, and it's only diminishing actual rape and molestation.

I am not surprised that Kate Leth is milking this for drama and attention. Bitch, you were 21 when you decided to fuck an older married man dying of cancer to worm your way into comics, and now you're acting like you were lured into an unmarked white van with free candy? Take some fucking responsibility and stop acting like you were a helpless child who was tricked into committing adultery to fuck her way to the top. I've been in some relationships I've regretted after the fact, but at least I didn't retroactively pretend it was grooming and rape for Twitter asspats.

Feel free to slap me in the face with MATI ratings like Kate's face gets slapped with dicks.

Affluent Reptilian

kiwifarms.net
The made-for-Walmart out of continuity comics that no one read are... Uh... Good? Or at least the Batman by Bendis and the Superman by Tom King are. Weirdly, the Batman book isn't even the gritty street level story you'd think Bendis would write, it's much less grounded and 'out there' in the DC universe. And Tom King wrote a fun Superman story that didn't involve depression and broken people.

Water-T

Zach made me clean the shower with my mouth again
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And Tom King wrote a fun Superman story that didn't involve depression and broken people.
"I'm sorry, Lois - but our marriage is slowly stagnating and i'm hitting a midlife crisis. Also, I know you murdered Lex and buried him in our backyard."

sKr0n

kiwifarms.net
The made-for-Walmart out of continuity comics that no one read are... Uh... Good? Or at least the Batman by Bendis and the Superman by Tom King are. Weirdly, the Batman book isn't even the gritty street level story you'd think Bendis would write, it's much less grounded and 'out there' in the DC universe. And Tom King wrote a fun Superman story that didn't involve depression and broken people.
They are easily the in the top 5 best stories for their respective characters last decade in my opinion, also in no small part to that art as well.

Also with the recent deaths and outings things are looking a little grim so here's something I found on another forum that gave me a good laugh.
obama.png

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
I think those series benefit from having a set number of issues and not having to worry about setting up future continuity or acknowledging recent events or the like. I admit I don't remember too much about Batman, but the Superman comic was surprisingly good, especially when you consider the type of stuff King is normally known for writing. It'd be cool if DC kept a running title that was just for writers to tell those 4-6 issue stories they've always been dying to write/thought would be pretty cool. Something like "Tales from the Multiverse" or "Lost stories" where the writer could plop the story wherever they wanted and not have to worry about how it ties into the main continuity.

Affluent Reptilian

kiwifarms.net
It'd be cool if DC kept a running title that was just for writers to tell those 4-6 issue stories they've always been dying to write/thought would be pretty cool. Something like "Tales from the Multiverse" or "Lost stories" where the writer could plop the story wherever they wanted and not have to worry about how it ties into the main continuity.
I've had this exact same thought several times. Writers can use whatever they want, with whatever version of a character they want, without worry for the future, or how it integrates with what other people are writing. There's something to be said for a cohesive universe, but having 10% of titles be a rotating roster of writers telling Elseworlds stories would probably produce some fun stuff. And unlike in-continuity work, anything that's bad can be ignored and forgotten.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
He's mostly known for his DC work but he also had a stint over on Marvel. Unfortunately, all of his Marvel work I've read was pretty bad. His Spider-Man run is godawful (though mercifully short) and his years long Daredevil work is thoroughly mediocre, completely wasting everything Frank Miller had built up for the character. That said, I've seen people say his Iron Man run is a definitive one for the character.
Yes. Iron Man 158 and 160-208
EaUy4_WX0AYQ_jE.jpg
EaaoCy7WoAARtmA.jpg

i.jpg

Last edited:

PrincessHomura

Kiwi of Caring and Fiery Passion
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
  • Horrifying
Reactions: Jasonfan89

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
So who's worse?

Mark waid once a great writer of master pieces like kingdom come turned sjw who hates people who use banned cover arts for wallpaper

Mark Millar Irish edgelord who's work includes incest, pedophilia, tons of gore, and blatant misogynistic undertones. (a woman is forced to give birth to her own brothers kid and if she tries to abort it a bomb will go off)

Personaly I'll take milars work since he actually pushes the envelope with how far he can go before he crosses the line between bad taste funny and just plain tasteless. Over a fallen from Grace has been who has his own thread on this very forum.

Though I admit kick ass the movie was better than comic kickass mainly because Dave doesn't get cucked by the love interest and is left jerking off to a video she sends him of her sucking off her black boyfriend

sKr0n

kiwifarms.net
Millar wrote a great Flash run, but thats not mainly because Grant Morrison was wrtiting it with him when they were still friends. Definitely not. But this 12 issue run was awesome.
1593663485989.png

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Waid is worse, but I'm still not impressed by edgelords like Millar and Ennis.
Ennis punisher stuff was pretty good and hell I doubt anybody at marvel these days will have half the balls to do half of what ennis did. Given they hired the soyboy who wrote Santa's husband to reboot the new warriors.

Also his book dicks was pretty funny, albeit kinda gross at times. And Jennifer blood was the perfect mix of funny and action packed

Was that ever collected in trade paperback? I remember reading the first 12 issues with the fat guy who had to run home in just sm gear and no pants. See when Ennis mixes humor with his edgy stuff it actually becomes pretty good

Edit the very first post on this thread said

TBH, I think Alan Moore's comics would work better in a TV format, and I think if Watchmen were being adapted now, that's how they'd do it.
On tragi-chan you had no idea how wrong you would be

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

Cactuar King

kiwifarms.net
Ennis punisher stuff was pretty good and hell I doubt anybody at marvel these days will have half the balls to do half of what ennis did. Given they hired the soyboy who wrote Santa's husband to reboot the new warriors.
For the most part, his Punisher run was good, except for that arc that introduced Barracuda, and Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe was pure Punisher wank.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
For the most part, his Punisher run was good, except for that arc that introduced Barracuda, and Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe was pure Punisher wank.
That's because The punisher is literally the only comic character ennis likes that he didn't personally create (hitman Jenny blood eat6) ...With the possible exception of Supernan

• Agree
Reactions: Cactuar King
Tags
None