Sperg about comic books here -

TchPiKinmup

kiwifarms.net
So who's worse?
Waid. He was a jackass before he became a pro, which is pretty well documented in fanzines. Once he hit, he hid his dickishness fairly well for a long time. While Millar is a loudmouth and a shyster (whose fans don't mind), he's never attempted to prevent anybody from working because he didn't agree with their politics. Waid's Champions series was the absolute nadir of his writing for me.

Flaming Carrot

kiwifarms.net
So who's worse?

Mark waid once a great writer of master pieces like kingdom come turned sjw who hates people who use banned cover arts for wallpaper

Mark Millar Irish edgelord who's work includes incest, pedophilia, tons of gore, and blatant misogynistic undertones. (a woman is forced to give birth to her own brothers kid and if she tries to abort it a bomb will go off)

Personaly I'll take milars work since he actually pushes the envelope with how far he can go before he crosses the line between bad taste funny and just plain tasteless. Over a fallen from Grace has been who has his own thread on this very forum.

Though I admit kick ass the movie was better than comic kickass mainly because Dave doesn't get cucked by the love interest and is left jerking off to a video she sends him of her sucking off her black boyfriend
I think Waid is the better writer, although Millar had a run on Swamp Thing that was fantastic. Grant Morrison has implied that he helped Millar out with a lot of it, which would explain why it's so much better than anything else he's written. Waid is by far the bigger asshole, though.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
The recent article from time about cancelling superheros? It's watchmen come to life. And keep in min watchmen was such a crap sack world partly because while the superheros of the comics like Superman did appear in the 30s much like the vigilante ones of the watchmen universe. By the end if ww2 they had all faded away from memory replaced by pirate and horror comics. Kinda a dark twist of the fate to comic book heroes in the real world.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
So who's worse?

Mark waid once a great writer of master pieces like kingdom come turned sjw who hates people who use banned cover arts for wallpaper

Mark Millar Irish edgelord who's work includes incest, pedophilia, tons of gore, and blatant misogynistic undertones. (a woman is forced to give birth to her own brothers kid and if she tries to abort it a bomb will go off)

Personaly I'll take milars work since he actually pushes the envelope with how far he can go before he crosses the line between bad taste funny and just plain tasteless. Over a fallen from Grace has been who has his own thread on this very forum.

Though I admit kick ass the movie was better than comic kickass mainly because Dave doesn't get cucked by the love interest and is left jerking off to a video she sends him of her sucking off her black boyfriend
The majority of Waid's work tends to follow the same trajectory: starts with decent dialogue, good characterization, and some hooks that seem somewhat interesting. Then his plots get progressively more complicated and messy, his characters start to fall off track, then he gets bored and leaves. His work is almost always enhanced when he's collaborating with someone who can help with the plotting, be it Kingdom Come, The Flash or Fantastic Four.

Millar, in contrast, has certain "quirks" to his dialogue that is pretty hit or miss and sometimes keeps his characterization from staying quite on track, though he mostly avoids this by not writing characters in existing continuities; his weakest work, IMO, is stuff like Civil War, where he's supposed to actually stay "on-brand" for the characters he writes. His work also gets weaker as his runs grow longer, but he also seems aware enough that he hasn't done an extended run on anything in like a decade.

Overall, I'd say Millar is better at coming up with "big ideas", even if his execution sometimes falls flat; while Waid is better at the finer points of comics storytelling, but much less ambitious in his ideas.

As far as the person goes...I don't know much about Millar as a person, but Waid's reputation precedes itself, and not in a good way.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
we
The majority of Waid's work tends to follow the same trajectory: starts with decent dialogue, good characterization, and some hooks that seem somewhat interesting. Then his plots get progressively more complicated and messy, his characters start to fall off track, then he gets bored and leaves. His work is almost always enhanced when he's collaborating with someone who can help with the plotting, be it Kingdom Come, The Flash or Fantastic Four.

Millar, in contrast, has certain "quirks" to his dialogue that is pretty hit or miss and sometimes keeps his characterization from staying quite on track, though he mostly avoids this by not writing characters in existing continuities; his weakest work, IMO, is stuff like Civil War, where he's supposed to actually stay "on-brand" for the characters he writes. His work also gets weaker as his runs grow longer, but he also seems aware enough that he hasn't done an extended run on anything in like a decade.

Overall, I'd say Millar is better at coming up with "big ideas", even if his execution sometimes falls flat; while Waid is better at the finer points of comics storytelling, but much less ambitious in his ideas.

As far as the person goes...I don't know much about Millar as a person, but Waid's reputation precedes itself, and not in a good way.
We don't have an artcow/career cow thread on millar the way we do waid (that I know of) and that's good enough for me

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
The recent article from time about cancelling superheros? It's watchmen come to life. And keep in min watchmen was such a crap sack world partly because while the superheros of the comics like Superman did appear in the 30s much like the vigilante ones of the watchmen universe. By the end if ww2 they had all faded away from memory replaced by pirate and horror comics. Kinda a dark twist of the fate to comic book heroes in the real world.
LOL good fucking luck getting Disney and AT&T to abandon one of the few things keeping their films studios afloat.

Reactions: Dr W

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
I love this quote from v for vendetta

"The salt flats, it pulled in the awards but not the crowds."
Like Warren Ellis it seems Alan Moore has a crystal ball. Look at the nominees for best picture in the last several years. Moonlight, call me by your name, hell even though love Simon didn't get any Oscar nods it won a Saturn award an MTV movie award and a teen Choice award. But come on, how many people actually flocked to cinemas and sat down in droves to actually watch those movies? Consoomers may be brain dead drones when they pack theaters to star wars and marvel movies but at least they prioritize.

Reactions: Dr W

kaien

kiwifarms.net
We don't have an artcow/career cow thread on millar the way we do waid (that I know of) and that's good enough for me
Millar's bad comics are worse than Waid's bad comics. Bad Waid (Champions) is just boring, bad Millar (Wanted, Authority) is really fucking disgusting. But Waid has Millar beat going away when it comes to embarrassing behavior in public.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Millar's bad comics are worse than Waid's bad comics. Bad Waid (Champions) is just boring, bad Millar (Wanted, Authority) is really fucking disgusting. But Waid has Millar beat going away when it comes to embarrassing behavior in public.
Like I've said millar tends to work best either when he has to keep the edgelordness to a minimum or when it's an adaptation of his work that need Tobe tweaked to appeal to a wider audience . Movie kick ass may be cliche at times and dips the whole "deconstruction of heroes. " aspect almost as soon as Dave suffers a bad stab wound and learns life isn't always like a comic book, but then it actually embraces it tounge in cheek nature without going full Scott Pilgrim on us.

kaien

kiwifarms.net
Like I've said millar tends to work best either when he has to keep the edgelordness to a minimum or when it's an adaptation of his work that need Tobe tweaked to appeal to a wider audience.
Yeah, like Garth Ennis he does far better work when somebody has some kind of leash on him. The movie version of Wanted was stupid as hell, but it didn't leave me wanting to scrub my eyes out with bleach.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, like Garth Ennis he does far better work when somebody has some kind of leash on him. The movie version of Wanted was stupid as hell, but it didn't leave me wanting to scrub my eyes out with bleach.
What would the unfunnies be like if it had to be altered to run on adult swim? My guess is similar to Harvey birdman or sealab 2021 in that it would be Hanna Barbara characters allowed to he crude and vulgar but not nearly as cringe enducing as the original comic was

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
kiwifarms.net
Wanted is a total guilty pleasure movie for me.

The comic on the other hand...

Cardenio

Autistic Gaucho
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't even comprehend why anyone likes this shit. It feels like a giant mockery of decades of memorable comics. Like Scott Snyder is playing a demented game of Madlibs and seeing if DC will publish it.

Three Evil Alfreds? What hell is this?

Attachments

PrincessHomura

Kiwi of Caring and Fiery Passion
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't even comprehend why anyone likes this shit. It feels like a giant mockery of decades of memorable comics. Like Scott Snyder is playing a demented game of Madlibs and seeing if DC will publish it.

Three Evil Alfreds? What hell is this?
All "big comic events" suck and they only keep getting worse. I wish they'd stop forcing them down everyone's throats, because they don't just suck in a vacuum, they often destroy characters or storylines from other books as well.

Cardenio

Autistic Gaucho
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All "big comic events" suck and they only keep getting worse. I wish they'd stop forcing them down everyone's throats, because they don't just suck in a vacuum, they often destroy characters or storylines from other books as well.
Final Crisis should have just been the end of DC's big event, hell I'll even tolerate Blackest Night because cosmic zombies coming in to fuck with Superheroes was amusing too.

I mean honestly in Final Crisis part of the time I didn't even know what the fuck Grant Morrison was doing. But it had cool artwork and the big moment of Batman shooting Darkseid and getting cosmic sanctioned was a great dramatic moment.
e31d5a8d0b50168378a7d77a675b0687.jpg
But the "Bat-Manhattan Who Laughs", that's as stupid as merging Pikachu with Sonic.

albertbrown26

Walt Disney is a wonderful person.
kiwifarms.net
2CD8D1B0-F00B-42AD-83CA-0599825FA8F0.jpeg

719075B2-E0AE-4669-8E5D-2ADEB2F8AD5D.png014F25C6-71F7-4934-AF0C-92CAEDAEF8BA.jpeg

I miss the days when Foxtrot used to entertain me. Nowadays, they don’t make great newspaper comics like this. If anything, Zits and Pearls Before Swine come closer to this.

Overall, it’s a great comic, especially if you read it back in the 2000’s.

Tags
None