Sperg about comic books here -

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
I can't even comprehend why anyone likes this shit. It feels like a giant mockery of decades of memorable comics. Like Scott Snyder is playing a demented game of Madlibs and seeing if DC will publish it.

Three Evil Alfreds? What hell is this?
I'll answer your question. It's the epitome of style over substance. It's complete stupidity for the sake of being cool. Why are there three evil alfreds? Because there's a billion evil batmen all from different universes, all from different backstories, some of them got to keep their alfred.

Just like how Owlman had The Outsider I believe.

Now if shit like Death Metal was trying to be serious, then yeah, it'd be legitimately bad and awful.

But it has a Batman that transferred his consciousness into a robot T-Rex. A batman that was from a planet of robots and was its own sentient form of the Batmobile. A batman that is C'thulu. It's not trying to be serious, I mean the main fucking villain is called THE DARKEST KNIGHT. It's just throwing as much cool/visually appealing shit at the pages as it can and not trying to be smart or deep or meaningful. Which in my opinion, as long as it's aware of that fact, which it certainly is, is fine.

If that's not your kind of thing, which it may very well not be. That's fine too.

Devilish Jack o Lantern

z-list super villan .
kiwifarms.net
Well I’ve been listening to the sandman Audio book and it’s been a real treat to revisit one of my favorite comics in audio form with a star studded cast . I hope it does well enough so we can get more .

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Possibly unpopular opinion

Harley Quinn is a thot and DC is trying way too hard to turn her into their version of Deadpool (even though they had lobo years before Harley existed) and joker is better off without her.

I don't hate Harley it's just she works better either as a comic relief sidekick or a supporting character on a team thats well written (Gotham city sirens the first run of suicide squad) her first solo book run in the new 52 was ok and I haven't read rebirth so idk if it's better or worse but that's just my opinion

• Feels
Reactions: Liquid Kent

Cactuar King

kiwifarms.net

Harley Quinn is a thot and DC is trying way too hard to turn her into their version of Deadpool (even though they had lobo years before Harley existed) and joker is better off without her.

I don't hate Harley it's just she works better either as a comic relief sidekick or a supporting character on a team thats well written (Gotham city sirens the first run of suicide squad) her first solo book run in the new 52 was ok and I haven't read rebirth so idk if it's better or worse but that's just my opinion
I really don't know why you'd think that's an unpopular opinion.

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net

I think that's a pretty popular opinion these days. I think she's become overused, which has led to people either forcing her in/writing her when they really have no idea how to tell a good Harley story. I've heard her described as the fourth member of the DC trinity with how often she's been included in other books or has gotten some kind of spinoff/miniseries.

Part of the problem seems to be that every writer has a vastly different opinion of who Harley is as a character. Some want her to be a Mary Sue that can go toe to toe with any hero/villain, some want her to just be a goofy comedic character that is largely out of continuity doing her own thing. Others want her to just be the same version as the animated series, where she's still considered a criminal, but sometimes they'll write her as an antihero with a much more serious tone. Any one of those could theoretically work, minus the Mary Sue example, but when they try and do all of them at the same time it just creates a mess.

It also leads to her continuity being a mess. People might like one version of the character, but because they have no idea what they're going to get when they spinoff her into another book/miniseries, they decide against picking it up/end up disappointed if it isn't the Harley they want.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
I think that's a pretty popular opinion these days. I think she's become overused, which has led to people either forcing her in/writing her when they really have no idea how to tell a good Harley story. I've heard her described as the fourth member of the DC trinity with how often she's been included in other books or has gotten some kind of spinoff/miniseries.

Part of the problem seems to be that every writer has a vastly different opinion of who Harley is as a character. Some want her to be a Mary Sue that can go toe to toe with any hero/villain, some want her to just be a goofy comedic character that is largely out of continuity doing her own thing. Others want her to just be the same version as the animated series, where she's still considered a criminal, but sometimes they'll write her as an antihero with a much more serious tone. Any one of those could theoretically work, minus the Mary Sue example, but when they try and do all of them at the same time it just creates a mess.

It also leads to her continuity being a mess. People might like one version of the character, but because they have no idea what they're going to get when they spinoff her into another book/miniseries, they decide against picking it up/end up disappointed if it isn't the Harley they want.
To you and @cactaur king I say it's possibly unpopular because and if I may ape Rorschach for a minute.

"Walked through mall before virus shut everything down, passed by worst store in the place. Spencer's gifts, display plastered with Margot Robbie's face and various bits of paraphernalia for birds of prey movie. Including red and blue t shirts with "I'm a free bitch stenciled across chest." Buttons, mugs, face of a total skank being sold as a symbol of empowerment. Customer buying arm full of the stuff looked sixteen hard to tell these days, everyone's in such a hurry to grow up."

So yeah I say unpopular because apparently there are people who call themselves "fans" who like Harley being an unrepentant violent man hating sociopath with severe problems that she just laughs off as "girl power.."

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
the best version of Harley I've read so far, for my personal tastes, is Harleen by a Croatian artist/writer who's name I will not attempt to spell.

White Knight Harley is also good.

Her original 90s run wasn't terrible either.

Who she is in canon now though is fucking awful and I hate it. Harley could've been so much and instead she's unfunny female deadpool. I honestly still think the most fascinating thing you could do with Harley is make her a Batgirl. And when I say make her a batgirl i mean like, the good versions of her. not the current version that makes me want to die.

Last edited:

Cactuar King

kiwifarms.net
the best version of Harley I've read so far, for my personal tastes, is Harleen by a Croatian artist/writer who's name I will not attempt to spell.

White Knight Harley is also good.

Her original 90s run wasn't terrible either.

Who she is in canon now though is fucking awful and I hate it. Harley could've been so much and instead she's unfunny female deadpool. I honestly still think the most fascinating thing you could do with Harley is make her a Batgirl.
Stejpan Seijic?

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
Disagree about Batman, bc I think the Arkham games nailed it, but all the other DC heroes are 100% camp. That's why shows like The Flash and Arrow are able to pull it off. Stop pretending that Justice League is some serious grownup shit and just give us a silly Aquaman movie.
Arrow managed to tread the line quite nicely at times.

arrow.gif

What I'd like to see in a Batman movie is him be more like the ninja he was trained to be, a frightening urban legend that scared criminals and which ordinary citizens thought was just an urban legend. Solo Batman almost always works better, imo, than Justice League Batman. The sole exception of course being Batman: The Brave and the Bold which is incapable of doing wrong.

I don't actually know that much about comic history, so I'm not sure what you mean here. Basically I'd just like a really honest, down-to-earth almost Jimmy Stewart-ish Superman, and I'd appreciate more domesticity, too.
For me one of the best characterizations of Superman (obviously Reeve is the best portrayal), is the Superman from "Superman and the Elite" animated movie. He is upstanding and principled without ever being weak or naive. It's a shame Snyder wasn't allowed to do Justice League the way he wanted because although his Superman was a little too serious for my liking, Henry Cavill was pretty much perfectly cast and I think Snyder's intent was to humanize him more and give him more humour as the movies went on.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
White Knight? Shit, I tried to start that one a year or two back. To be honest, I thought it read like Batman character assassination fanfic by someone who was convinced that the Joker was just misunderstood. And then I noped out when I got to this panel.
View attachment 1474855
"The SJWs need to give him a chance"
And I'd read all I needed to.
That's the thing the whole "nobody can tell if something is satire anymore" argument goes both ways. You can't tell if a writer is being serious or not anymore these days because they run the risk if pissing off the twit mobs and cancel culture who just don't get the joke.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
White Knight? Shit, I tried to start that one a year or two back. To be honest, I thought it read like Batman character assassination fanfic by someone who was convinced that the Joker was just misunderstood. And then I noped out when I got to this panel.
View attachment 1474855
"The SJWs need to give him a chance"
And I'd read all I needed to.
I mean, it's an alternate universe. It's no more Batman character assassination than Injustice's Superman becoming super hitler is Superman character assassination.

You just have to accept this is an alternate universe where Batman is kind of a major asshole and Jack Napier/Joker are two different entities.

If you can't get over that, that's understandable and the book won't be for you. But I honestly don't mind alternate universe shit like that. I'd much prefer Batman be wildly different out of canon than in canon, y'feel.

I also understand your hesitance at the whole "SJWs need to give Gordon a chance" but aside from that line, that scene does actually make a good point. If Batman is going to just straight up assault someone and pour pills down their throat, like actual borderline torture, and the cops just stand back and watch, what limitations does Batman actually have?

it's not a perfect comic and it does have issues, but I really liked what they did with Harley and as an alternate universe story, I do think there's good stuff in there. I've read worse.

also White Knight has a really good twist character wise with Harley, which I can spoil for you if you don't mind.

Cactuar King

kiwifarms.net
I mean, it's an alternate universe. It's no more Batman character assassination than Injustice's Superman becoming super hitler is Superman character assassination.

You just have to accept this is an alternate universe where Batman is kind of a major asshole and Jack Napier/Joker are two different entities.

If you can't get over that, that's understandable and the book won't be for you. But I honestly don't mind alternate universe shit like that. I'd much prefer Batman be wildly different out of canon than in canon, y'feel.

I also understand your hesitance at the whole "SJWs need to give Gordon a chance" but aside from that line, that scene does actually make a good point. If Batman is going to just straight up assault someone and pour pills down their throat, like actual borderline torture, and the cops just stand back and watch, what limitations does Batman actually have?

it's not a perfect comic and it does have issues, but I really liked what they did with Harley and as an alternate universe story, I do think there's good stuff in there. I've read worse.

also White Knight has a really good twist character wise with Harley, which I can spoil for you if you don't mind.
Sure, I get that it's an alternate universe, but it seems like the author has kind a "Batman is really only a violent psycho" bent to his writing, while being weirdly sympathetic to Joker. I wouldn't know about Injustice Superman, since I haven't played it.

I'm always just a little leery when I see terms like SJW used in comics, because that usually means there's going to be some unsubtle politisperging incoming. I mean, I see your point, but it's just too much of a warning sign.

Sure, I don't mind, go ahead.

Reactions: Wärring Ornac
Tags
None