Sperg about comic books here -

Jasonfan89

Aka horrorfan89
kiwifarms.net
Eh I'm not worried about the big two completely going under. Oh sure these layoff the loss of DC universe and the cancellation of the low selling books is definitely bad but DC is owned by Warner media. Marvel by fucking Disney. Nothing short of China launching nukes and plunging the world into a fallout great war can bring down the corporate giants like warmer and Disney.

On another note, I'm kinda sad teen Titans is being cancelled before it could reach 50 issues but I've only got like the first three volumes and I've heard it's very different from when rebirth TT first started.

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
Eh I'm not worried about the big two completely going under. Oh sure these layoff the loss of DC universe and the cancellation of the low selling books is definitely bad but DC is owned by Warner media. Marvel by fucking Disney. Nothing short of China launching nukes and plunging the world into a fallout great war can bring down the corporate giants like warmer and Disney.

On another note, I'm kinda sad teen Titans is being cancelled before it could reach 50 issues but I've only got like the first three volumes and I've heard it's very different from when rebirth TT first started.
yeah i guess it'd only take an issue to wrap up the edgy boi damien bullshit and then go onto only ever seeing black kid flash/asian red arrow ever again. And maybe Lobo's daughter.

We ain't seeing the fat kid again, ever. idk about the Djinn tho.

Jasonfan89

Aka horrorfan89
kiwifarms.net
yeah i guess it'd only take an issue to wrap up the edgy boi damien bullshit and then go onto only ever seeing black kid flash/asian red arrow ever again. And maybe Lobo's daughter.

We ain't seeing the fat kid again, ever. idk about the Djinn tho.
That's how much had changed in less than 50 issues? Damn when did all that happen? I've got up to vol 3 in trade form and the reason why I kept reading in addition to being a genuinely decent book it felt like the writer was trying to evoke the wolfman/Perez era of teen Titans and to a lesser extent the animated series

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
That's how much had changed in less than 50 issues? Damn when did all that happen? I've got up to vol 3 in trade form and the reason why I kept reading in addition to being a genuinely decent book it felt like the writer was trying to evoke the wolfman/Perez era of teen Titans and to a lesser extent the animated series
it got cancelled so I think they're just trying to wrap up that story, fast.

It's a shame because it was a pretty decent run but the draw of the book wasn't strong enough, even with major events like killing deathstroke, or Damien having a private secret prison for criminals

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
I want to read a comic about the banker who gave a 12 year old million of dollars in business loans to start a private prison.
I heard the teen titans book was pretty shit and not very coherent. so surprised to see you guys talk about how it's not bad.
first half of the run wasn't bad. Second half rebooted the team and added Lobo's daughter, Emiko Queen, and 2 new characters. Writing's kinda sub-par for that half, but it's kinda saved by Damien just being an entertaining goblin of a character who constantly learns the hard way.

also fyi it's got the black kid flash that, sadly, noone seems to want to do much with. It's funny as shit watching Damien get clowned on over being extremely self-important though.

Jasonfan89

Aka horrorfan89
kiwifarms.net
first half of the run wasn't bad. Second half rebooted the team and added Lobo's daughter, Emiko Queen, and 2 new characters. Writing's kinda sub-par for that half, but it's kinda saved by Damien just being an entertaining goblin of a character who constantly learns the hard way.

also fyi it's got the black kid flash that, sadly, noone seems to want to do much with. It's funny as shit watching Damien get clowned on over being extremely self-important though.
Yeah like I said I like how at first they tried to recreate both the wolfman/perez era and the animated series (thought in hindsight I should have to wonder if ttg played a role in that more than either of the former)

It's almost October so I've decided to reread my fist two volumes of the tomb of Dracula and the Batman vampire trilogy. Honestly I think the 70s was like the second best decade for horror comics since in 71 the cca standards on horror had finally been lifted so we started getting Marvel's horror titles like tomb of Dracula, werewolf by night, marvel chillers, tales of the zombie, and over in DC we had the house of mystery and secrets going back to their horror anthology roots and charlton even got in on the action with their own horror titles. Also while it was still a decade before the tv show aired it was the first time in 20 years when gladstone publications began reprinting ec comics horror titles including tales from the crypt.

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
Yeah like I said I like how at first they tried to recreate both the wolfman/perez era and the animated series (thought in hindsight I should have to wonder if ttg played a role in that more than either of the former)

It's almost October so I've decided to reread my fist two volumes of the tomb of Dracula and the Batman vampire trilogy. Honestly I think the 70s was like the second best decade for horror comics since in 71 the cca standards on horror had finally been lifted so we started getting Marvel's horror titles like tomb of Dracula, werewolf by night, marvel chillers, tales of the zombie, and over in DC we had the house of mystery and secrets going back to their horror anthology roots and charlton even got in on the action with their own horror titles. Also while it was still a decade before the tv show aired it was the first time in 20 years when gladstone publications began reprinting ec comics horror titles including tales from the crypt.
Teen Titans has always had a presence, honestly. It's a combo of the animated series being quality and the wolfman/perez run being so stellar that it influenced a ton of shit in the rest of the DCU.

I'd argue that the worst part about the new 52 era has been no JSA more than anything else. It was a wonderful way to see how DC's gigantic catalog of Golden Age IPs would pop up. Hell, they'd just straight up take existing characters that were too cool to be in limbo and toss them on the team. (Blue Devil, Damage).
But mostly I'd love how almost every story involves a few things from the past. Whether it was the bloodlines of golden agers being hunted down, or fucking Johnny Sorrow becoming the modern age's big bad JSA villain. Let's be clear, the 2000s JSA kinda nodded not only to the All-Star Squadron and every other big batch of golden age heroes, they even found time to namedrop guys like Judomaster and General Glory, guys who were retroactively made to be golden age heroes, into being part of the All-Star Squadron and shit. Fun times.

I'm a little salty because new 52 left the JSA in the middle of a big ass story arc. Mind you, they also left the JLA in a big ass one and James Robinson just had a fun time scripting that last issue of the pre-new 52 JLA run with fantastic adventures that'd never get seen again. Who else is gonna give me my Congorilla+Alien Starman team up fix?

Yes, I'm mad that I didn't get to see more of the JSA. We're finally getting trickles and they resurrected the ones that were killed in Zero Hour for some reason. I'm guessing convergence and crisis fuckery are going to be the reasons we somehow have Sandman, the atom, dr. mid-nite, and kent nelson's Dr. Fate alive again? Jim Corrigan's somehow the Spectre again but Hal Jordan also did canonically be the Spectre?

When Dark Knights Metal bullshit is all over, I'd love to see things settle down. Honestly I'd get a laugh if fucking Alan Scott gets retconned into being a gay man because he's probably one of the 3-4 JSA dudes that was known to get involved with women and suddenly that created plot threads. (Please don't erase Harlequin or The Original Thorn from his fucking history DC,.)

I really want DC to pump out a story explaining how Plastic Man's been a hero since the 1940s, and very publicly known too. They sort of brush it off all the time.

JimiHendrix

The best jazz player around.
kiwifarms.net
When Dark Knights Metal bullshit is all over, I'd love to see things settle down.
after Death Metal, just in time for December, DC's got another major event called Endless Winter coming.

also if you want some JSA stuff, Tom Taylor is writing them in Injustice: Zero Year.

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
after Death Metal, just in time for December, DC's got another major event called Endless Winter coming.

also if you want some JSA stuff, Tom Taylor is writing them in Injustice: Zero Year.
You just know it's going to result in killing off all of them with the exception of WIldcat, Dr. Fate, and Hawkman.

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
oh no, i'm pretty sure they're all dead. all of em.
i mean injustice and injustice 2 comics had Wildcat, Dr. Fate, and Hawkman/girl show up. I recall the only one to actually survive everything was Wildcat, likely due to his bullshit little-known superpower in which you have to kill him 9 times within 24 hours in order to render him properly dead.

Funny how injustice zero year's JSA also includes Amazing-Man.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
i mean injustice and injustice 2 comics had Wildcat, Dr. Fate, and Hawkman/girl show up. I recall the only one to actually survive everything was Wildcat, likely due to his bullshit little-known superpower in which you have to kill him 9 times within 24 hours in order to render him properly dead.

Funny how injustice zero year's JSA also includes Amazing-Man.
Oh I don't remember Wildcat in Injustice. But it's been many many years since I read either.

I just really enjoyed the first issue that was all about celebrating legacy and I thought that tied into what you were on about in your main post.

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
Oh I don't remember Wildcat in Injustice. But it's been many many years since I read either.

I just really enjoyed the first issue that was all about celebrating legacy and I thought that tied into what you were on about in your main post.
honestly new 52 missed the idea that DC has a major thing they can sell called `legacy heroes`. it's not as difficult to get into given that we went two decades with Wally West's Flash, thus proving that the thesis that caused DC editorial to collapse the multiverse in '86 to create one world to be incorrect.

thank god Dan DiDio never got away with 5G lmfao. It would have been horrific to see the new 52 all over again.

Anyways I'm not saying Marvel can't pull off celebrations of legacy, but they have a much smaller stable to do this with. DC just kinda bought the IPs of 4 defunct publishers and it worked. Quality, Fawcett, Charlton, and you could count "All-American Comics" as the 4th but they were sort of Detective Comics Sister Company in the golden age, so it probably doesn't count. The problem is that DC has so many IPs that it gets easily bloated. You could have all the justice league books with the popular A/B/C listers that don't get regular solo titles and still have room for more. Fucking hell, I love The Terrifics for just taking 5 heroes with ties to 5 different classic DC teams and tossing Tom Strong into the mix. It's pure fun.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
thank god Dan DiDio never got away with 5G lmfao. It would have been horrific to see the new 52 all over again.
i'm really glad for that as well, while Jon as Superman would've been cool, I really had no interest in seeing fucking Luke as Batman.

i've had to go two years with out Nightwing due to this fucking Ric bullshit, i would not have been happy about losing Bruce as well.

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
i'm really glad for that as well, while Jon as Superman would've been cool, I really had no interest in seeing fucking Luke as Batman.

i've had to go two years with out Nightwing due to this fucking Ric bullshit, i would not have been happy about losing Bruce as well.
i'd have been down for 5G just being a possible glimpse into a future, but not the kind of overwrite that was suggested lmao.

Ric Grayson is gone. Kinda weird how his girlfriend just disappeared. We've already had a Bruce is dead time period and it'd be really fucking hard to top that one since it was written by Morrison.

I get the feeling that With Ted Kord being the antagonistic big bad in Suicide Squad, we'll see Mr. Mind being in his head. I mean, I'd hope it turns out that way. Maxwell Lord redeeming himself in the WOnder WOman book is kinda funny too. If this brings back the JLI, I'm set.

Marvel's Empyre ended so easily. What a fucking quick trip. The final pages are a fucking tease for some future bullshit, which is fucking stupid.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
i'd have been down for 5G just being a possible glimpse into a future, but not the kind of overwrite that was suggested lmao.

Ric Grayson is gone. Kinda weird how his girlfriend just disappeared. We've already had a Bruce is dead time period and it'd be really fucking hard to top that one since it was written by Morrison.

I get the feeling that With Ted Kord being the antagonistic big bad in Suicide Squad, we'll see Mr. Mind being in his head. I mean, I'd hope it turns out that way. Maxwell Lord redeeming himself in the WOnder WOman book is kinda funny too. If this brings back the JLI, I'm set.

Marvel's Empyre ended so easily. What a fucking quick trip. The final pages are a fucking tease for some future bullshit, which is fucking stupid.
yeah, Tom Taylor is one of my favorite writers. I'm sure Ted Kord is being mind controlled in some way or it's a shapeshifter or something. I don't see him making Ted straight up evil for no reason.

and I heard about Empyre, but I really don't read marvel, the only marvel character that interests me is Spider-man and even then, his stuff can be obnoxious to read.

mostly I've just been reading Joker War, which is nice, I mean I like Tynion as a writer, but I'm so fucking tired of Joker. what I wouldn't fucking give to have a big over arching comic story with Riddler as the villain or something. When was the last time Riddler was a fucking main threat in a comic? Hush? Batman has literally the best rogues gallery in comics history and no one ever wants to use anyone but fucking Joker.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyber Bowling

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
yeah, Tom Taylor is one of my favorite writers. I'm sure Ted Kord is being mind controlled in some way or it's a shapeshifter or something. I don't see him making Ted straight up evil for no reason.

and I heard about Empyre, but I really don't read marvel, the only marvel character that interests me is Spider-man and even then, his stuff can be obnoxious to read.

mostly I've just been reading Joker War, which is nice, I mean I like Tynion as a writer, but I'm so fucking tired of Joker. what I wouldn't fucking give to have a big over arching comic story with Riddler as the villain or something. When was the last time Riddler was a fucking main threat in a comic? Hush? Batman has literally the best rogues gallery in comics history and no one ever wants to use anyone but fucking Joker.
DC's scenes where Ted died pre-Infinite Crisis were very suitable for the character.

I think Joker's going to be let to rest after they're done with the Batman who laughs and The Three Jokers. Like, a fullass at least 6 month break from him. Riddler was a threat fairly recently too, like mid 2019ish in the year of the villain. The real question is when will they make the Penguin threatening again.

Spider-Man's apparently heading for an eventual series of events and shit related to the symbiotes and to what could be a reversal of one more day.

• Optimistic
Reactions: PrincessHomura
Tags
None