Spirits & Liquor -

Pick your poison

• Total voters

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
this is legit what teenagers think drinking is about, where is your father in all of this?
drink for enjoyment, not to get drunk, that way alcoholism lies
I'm not talking about getting shit faced you idiot. I like to get a good buzz going and keep up. I start off kinda fast to get there. Not big fan of easing into it since it takes up time.

Seriously 2 or 3 beers and you are talking about alcoholism. I see you are to blinded by arrogance and self-importance to even pay attention to what I'm saying.

It's not self-importance, I'm trying to help you grow and see what you're doing is just immature. Maybe you'll understand when you're older that beer isn't the way to go if you want to get serious about getting drunk.
I have different tastes, and I'm worried about how what I'm drinking makes me feel, as opposed to trying to look cool for people on the internet, and I'm immature? Might want to do some self-reflecting friend.

Seriously, because I said IPA's taste like weed (which they undeniably do), and when I do have the very rare IPA, I like the ones with the very strong weedy grassy flavor that means that everything I've said is invalid.

I mean if you want to get shit-faced. Yeah, liqour is the only way to go, but for a casual get a good buzz going and enjoying an evening Beer is perfectly acceptable, even preferable.

But I think you need to hear what Visitor said more than I do. Since you are "serious about getting drunk"

Okkervils

Get your flu shot.
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have different tastes, and I'm worried about how what I'm drinking makes me feel, as opposed to trying to look cool for people on the internet, and I'm immature? Might want to do some self-reflecting friend.

Seriously, because I said IPA's taste like weed (which they undeniably do), and when I do have the very rare IPA, I like the ones with the very strong weedy grassy flavor that means that everything I've said is invalid.

I mean if you want to get shit-faced. Yeah, liqour is the only way to go, but for a casual get a good buzz going and enjoying an evening Beer is perfectly acceptable, even preferable.

But I think you need to hear what Visitor said more than I do. Since you are "serious about getting drunk"
@Visitor is a fool and nobody on this website listens to a fucking thing that loser types so don't you ever tell me to acknowledge whatever bullshit that comes out of his deformed little brain. He's emotionally touched and that's common knowledge, kapeesh? He's a pig.

Now onto your other 'points.'
At least you acknowledge the fact that you're a casual, there may be hope for you yet. There is no point in drinking the dog shit you drink if you aren't intending to get shitfaced. Once you reach adulthood, you realize that. You're wasting your money, coming here and telling everyone and making yourself look like a complete fool. Then when someone calls you out on it and tries to help, you get mouthy. You need to watch yourself, kid.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: 2 people

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
@Visitor is a fool and nobody on this website listens to a fucking thing that loser types so don't you ever tell me to acknowledge whatever bullshit that comes out of his deformed little brain. He's emotionally touched and that's common knowledge, kapeesh? He's a pig.

Now onto your other 'points.'
At least you acknowledge the fact that you're a casual, there may be hope for you yet. There is no point in drinking the dog shit you drink if you aren't intending to get shitfaced. Once you reach adulthood, you realize that. You're wasting your money, coming here and telling everyone and making yourself look like a complete fool. Then when someone calls you out on it and tries to help, you get mouthy. You need to watch yourself, kid.
You know you really had me for a second

is this bait.jpg

S

SJ 485

kiwifarms.net
2 or 3 beers
2 or 3 that you're willing to tell us about, there's more to this story, I can tell. Seek help. Might be a good time in your life to re-establish a relationship with your dad.

U

UW 411

kiwifarms.net
This was cute. Now... let's get back to business.

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
2 or 3 that you're willing to tell us about, there's more to this story, I can tell. Seek help. Might be a good time in your life to re-establish a relationship with your dad.

That's okay, I already noticed that you and Okkervils are buttbuddies. You don't have to keep going.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 person

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Taking pride over a lack of engagement with something is boorish. If you have a curious personality and good palate (or want to develop one), then you should want to try as much as is available to you, there's no point in getting all hurt feelings over whatever you do like. If you don't want to try more than you know, then why are you shitting up a discussion thread?

I struggle with the sweetness of liqueurs, but am fond of this mouthfull of honey and herbs, though a little bit goes a long way for me.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
I have a terrible weakness for Midori and a terrible problem with it - I have no idea what to do with it when I have it. Midori is one of those liqueurs that looks absolutely stunning on the shelf with its brilliant green hue and gorgeous bottle, and has a wonderful flavor (if very sweet)... and I find it troublesome to experiment with.

>in before "melon ball"
That's basically the free space on Midori's bingo card, yes.

Man vs persistent rat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a terrible weakness for Midori and a terrible problem with it - I have no idea what to do with it when I have it. Midori is one of those liqueurs that looks absolutely stunning on the shelf with its brilliant green hue and gorgeous bottle, and has a wonderful flavor (if very sweet)... and I find it troublesome to experiment with.
The cheaper French version is only good for cocktails, I haven't tried the Japanese, but it's supposed to be a lot less sweet.

Taking pride over a lack of engagement with something is boorish. If you have a curious personality and good palate (or want to develop one), then you should want to try as much as is available to you, there's no point in getting all hurt feelings over whatever you do like. If you don't want to try more than you know, then why are you shitting up a discussion thread?

I struggle with the sweetness of liqueurs, but am fond of this mouthfull of honey and herbs, though a little bit goes a long way for me.
@Man vs persistent rat, a little definitely goes a long way. I've never understood the type of people who will just slam back liquers thinking that they're shots. A nice quarter tumbler full of drambuie should last you a few hours.

Oh I forgot to add in terms of liquers, it's only for special occasions but I really love good quality creme de menthe drank straight. Again it's a sipping drink, but I love mint and it's a nice little thing to have.

I also really love cinnamon, so gold schlaeger or fireball whiskey is nice on the odd occasion.

Unfortunately I don't have that many sophisticated drinking buddies, and those that I do are usually a night out sort of thing, so I've paired back my home collection. But holidays I'll buy a bottle of something really nice.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
@Man vs persistent rat, a little definitely goes a long way. I've never understood the type of people who will just slam back liquers thinking that they're shots. A nice quarter tumbler full of drambuie should last you a few hours.

Oh I forgot to add in terms of liquers, it's only for special occasions but I really love good quality creme de menthe drank straight. Again it's a sipping drink, but I love mint and it's a nice little thing to have.

I also really love cinnamon, so gold schlaeger or fireball whiskey is nice on the odd occasion.

Unfortunately I don't have that many sophisticated drinking buddies, and those that I do are usually a night out sort of thing, so I've paired back my home collection. But holidays I'll buy a bottle of something really nice.
If you enjoy liqueurs in their own right you might enjoy King Alphonses or variants thereof as a kind of dessert drink. Might just be me and my partiality to coffee flavors, though I think there's a variant that uses Creme de Cacao instead of Kahlua.

Man vs persistent rat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Scotch/Irish I suppose is shorthand for UK/British Isles-styled (difficult, as English whisky no longer exists) - I'd say that the two are similar enough to venture that some of the best Irish whisky of the past 100 years has been produced in Scotland (Auchentoshan, Craigellachie).

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Scotch/Irish I suppose is shorthand for UK/British Isles-styled (difficult, as English whisky no longer exists) - I'd say that the two are similar enough to venture that some of the best Irish whisky of the past 100 years has been produced in Scotland (Auchentoshan, Craigellachie).
...No longer exists? Did they forget how to make it or did it turn into something else entirely?

Man vs persistent rat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
...No longer exists? Did they forget how to make it or did it turn into something else entirely?
Scotch became socially trendy enough by end of the 19th century for the English distilleries to all slowly fall out of business, and all were closed by iirc 1905. The exotic Scotland bug of Walter Scott was too appealing for the market, and everybody else gave up. The same happened to the Irish ones when Ireland became independent - the biggest market (the UK) suddenly dried up, and in combination with prohibition in the US, there were few-to-no Irish distilleries remaining either. I think by the 1970s, Jameson was the only existing distiller in Ireland, and even they weren't quite the brand we recognise today and took a while to be recognised as a bottler in its own right. Effectively all of the modern Irish distilleries are revivals, which is where Auchentoshan becomes valuable, as it's an Irish-style distillery in Scotland that did survive, so serves as a window into the past. There is a distinct 'Irish' flavour of Whisky, but it exists as a conceptual touchstone rather than a living tradition, though of course over time this will change. Redbreast is the most impressive example of a modern Irish whisky and if anyone can afford it, the cask strength 12 is divine. The regular 12 is good enough by any measure.

There are a few recent startups in England, motivated by the increasing price boom in whisky since the Scotch recession in the 1980s, but it's pretty hard to start up a distillery focusing on long-term maturation of stock, as you will potentially struggle to make a strong income for decades. A lot of them prop up their enterprise by making gin and other things on the side since the margins are better and more readily-coming. I don't think it's worth mentioning distilleries of 'potential' until they begin releasing product (in the UK it must be matured for 3 years), but ones in England that have been producing and releasing for long enough to be.... 'something', I suppose are St George's Distillery and Cotswolds Distillery. Penderyn is the only notable Welsh one. Scotland has a bunch, the most interesting being Daftmill and maybe Ardnahoe, but the former at least is too expensive at the moment.

In general Scotch/UK style distilleries seem really hard to keep open, since they're very exposed to shifting market trends combined with economic fluctuations and if they can no longer rely on their reserves, or there is a decline in quality, they can't magic up stock without waiting for long periods of time during which they could go bankrupt. Scotch seems to benefit more than any other cask spirit from long maturations in particular, and depending on distiller the difference between a 9 and 18 can be immense. If they reach a point where they can coast on name-recognition alone that is nice, but the rest find it a lot less easy to get by. With blends becoming less popular, some of the less renowned bulk distillers have been slowly mothballed over time as well, and that is another market pressure that can affect producers (nowadays a lot of distillers for blends are also releasing their own single malts, something that was never done in the past, due to demand). A lot of Scotch distilleries have disappeared over time for economic reasons rather than the quality of their product (the worst being the 1980s after vodka had become trendy, when a lot of big names - both blends and single malts - disappeared, along with their traditions). Sorry for sperging, this was probably too long for such a straightforward question but I think the context might be useful.

Last edited:
I like to try new beverages based on their historical significance.
So far, my impressions have been:

Brandy: Extremely strong but tastes good. Kind of a buttery flavor and smooth. Only to drink in small quantities, except in brandy juleps, where it's mixed with syrup to create something that tastes like a syrupy sweet tea.

Gin: The master alcohol. Has a nice burning feeling on the lips and an inoffensive taste. Easy to drink but strong.

Vodka: Very easy to drink but kind of flavorless and boring.

Colt .45 Malt Liquor: Piss

Cabernet sauvignon: The master wine, easy to drink, could guzzle a bottle in one sitting; nice taste that would pair well with meat

American muscadine: Piss, way too fruity, but not any good kind of fruit

Red wines in general: Tasty, harder to drink than white wine

White wines in general: Boring

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
Anybody ever try Everclear? I had a friend once who was obsessed with drinking it. I mean if you really are trying to get drunk on a budget and know how to manage yourself it can be nice. Or you can sit and shoot 8 or 9 shots of it at a time like my friend and then next thing you know your girlfriend of 2 years is leaving you and you're just left there wondering why.

Guess that means it's time for another round!

Tags
None