Spirits & Liquor -

Pick your poison

• Total voters

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Went to a port wine tasting. It was fun and interesting. There was a lady who knew port who explained the difference between Tawny and Ruby (Ruby isn't aged as much, Tawny with a year label is mixed with ports that can't be younger than the label. So a 10 year Tawny can have some 20 or 30 year mixed in with the 10 year, but a 20 can have anything 20 years or older). Ruby is aged for a much shorter time, so it's sweet and kind of meh.

You were given a platter with cheese, dried fruit, chocolate, and small plates of cooked meat. Port goes really well with salty cheeses and meats. And 20 year Tawny is great.

Last edited:

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone ever tried that coconut flower liquor called Arrak? I've heard good things but it's a bitch and a half to find mainly because America and Europe have never heard of it and the primo regions for it have a severe case of Islam.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
loooooooooooooooool christmastime time for us alchies to make out like bandits on tiny glasses and a marginally slightly larger amount of booze

JimmyHill'sBlarms

YOU HAPPY NAPPA!
kiwifarms.net
I've been into Rum lately. Cheap-ass Calico Jack or Calypso, that I mix with Ginger Beer or Coke.

If I'm feeling fruity, I'll get some Mike's Hard or Seagram's. Right now I have Apricot Lemonade Mike's Hard.

If I'm feeling fancy, I'll get some Listerine flavored Whiskey and dump it into some Coke.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I made the batter for hot buttered rum. It's not cold enough yet to really want the drink yet, but usually when it does get cold enough I either don't have the ingredients or don't have the time, or both.

Now that the batter is made I just have to measure out two tablespoons of it and between 1 to 3 shots of rum and add boiling water. Going to try it with Kracken first. Might have to go back to Myers dark though, since you need something with a strong flavor or the sugar and spices are a bit cloying.

ScamL Likely

IT'S! NOT! EVEN! HOT! OUT! SIDE~!
kiwifarms.net
I had about a fourth of a handle of this at a family gathering because one of my family members tends to bring a handle of it with them every time they show up to these things. I could've had more if I really felt like getting completely shitfaced but I'm not that into vodka.

Buxinator

Just an average joe
kiwifarms.net
I'm into cocktails in generall and stick to gin and whisky. But a brief question from someone across the pond to the fellow american farmers: any suggestions for a good apple jack, that is shipped to europe?

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I'm into cocktails in generall and stick to gin and whisky. But a brief question from someone across the pond to the fellow american farmers: any suggestions for a good apple jack, that is shipped to europe?
The only cocktail I drink routinely is an Old-Fashioned. I've never seen any reason to get more involved with that. And generally, any bourbon worthy of an Old-Fashioned is even more worthy to drink neat.

I have some exceptions. For instance, a pitcher of very, very spicy Bloody Marys is a good way to start a lost weekend, or continue one on the next day. For these, I want the really involved kind with lots of fresh vegetables so it's practically a meal. Not bacon, though. That's Islamic. I don't have anything against Clamato or just a shot or two of clam juice, though some find that disgusting.

I made the batter for hot buttered rum. It's not cold enough yet to really want the drink yet, but usually when it does get cold enough I either don't have the ingredients or don't have the time, or both.
I usually don't do buttered rum, but a cold remedy is a nice hot toddy. A very strong black tea, heavy on the assam, like Irish Breakfast Tea, or even Earl Grey, lemon juice, honey, rum of any kind, cinnamon, ginger, whatever, served near boiling. This doesn't actually make a cold go away but you could give a shit about a cold after two or three of these. The rum content generally increases as the number consumed.

And the Dark & Stormy. This is a strong spiced rum like Kraken with a strong ginger beer, I generally prefer a Jamaican. And again, this starts out mellow but ends up mostly rum as the night goes on.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
Anyone have any good rum mixes other than Coke or sodas? Rum and Coke was my go-to, but I cut soft drinks a few months back and haven't really found a replacement yet.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has anybody tried making their own spiced rum? I have a lot of whole spices for cooking and realised that common curry ingredients are all you need to do this, but as reliable as this site usually is, they suggest using Appleton Estate, which tastes like it's already partially-infused (though not announced outside of the tasting notes). The remaining 'safe' options are unaged/white which might require something autistic like buying your own mini-cask to age it yourself (lol) or buying independently-bottled Jamaican/Barbados rums which usually don't have adulterants, but they tend to be more highly aged and it might just be a waste throwing cinnamon sticks into them.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
I have some exceptions. For instance, a pitcher of very, very spicy Bloody Marys is a good way to start a lost weekend, or continue one on the next day. For these, I want the really involved kind with lots of fresh vegetables so it's practically a meal. Not bacon, though. That's Islamic. I don't have anything against Clamato or just a shot or two of clam juice, though some find that disgusting.
Bloody mary is the breakfast of the 2nd day of a lost weekend. its super for festivals since you dont have to cool anything but the ice cubes.

• Agree
Reactions: AnOminous

Freddy Freaker

Poz my freak hole daddy
kiwifarms.net
My go to liquor is Jim Beam pre-prohibition rye. I've also gotten into mead lately. There's a meadery called Fiesty Bee in my area that makes good stuff. Other than that I'll sometimes have Crown Royal, Bombay Sapphire, or Fu-Ki sake

ScamL Likely

IT'S! NOT! EVEN! HOT! OUT! SIDE~!
kiwifarms.net
The only cocktail I drink routinely is an Old-Fashioned. I've never seen any reason to get more involved with that. And generally, any bourbon worthy of an Old-Fashioned is even more worthy to drink neat.

I usually don't do buttered rum, but a cold remedy is a nice hot toddy. A very strong black tea, heavy on the assam, like Irish Breakfast Tea, or even Earl Grey, lemon juice, honey, rum of any kind, cinnamon, ginger, whatever, served near boiling. This doesn't actually make a cold go away but you could give a shit about a cold after two or three of these. The rum content generally increases as the number consumed.

And the Dark & Stormy. This is a strong spiced rum like Kraken with a strong ginger beer, I generally prefer a Jamaican. And again, this starts out mellow but ends up mostly rum as the night goes on.
Pretty much agreed. I'm not anti-cocktail as a whole, but any decent whisk(e)y, brandy, or cognac is best drunk neat. Vodka and gin are more cocktail-friendly in that it doesn't feel like as much of a waste to primarily use them as mixers.

• Agree
Reactions: AnOminous

XenomorphThot

kiwifarms.net
Anyone have any good rum mixes other than Coke or sodas? Rum and Coke was my go-to, but I cut soft drinks a few months back and haven't really found a replacement yet.
Dunno if it's a mixer exactly, but buttered rum is amazing. So I'd recommend that in cold weather, other than that I dunno. It's either coke for me too, or if it's coconut rum then we mix it with milk or cream.

Petey Wheatstraw

kiwifarms.net
Love me a sweet and sour cocktail with a shot of vodka and too much sweet and sour mix. But if I'm going to lie down for an evening and watch some autist drama unfold, I like to do it with a glass of Rebel Yell whiskey on the rocks. Surprisingly it's on the sweet side too.

Tags
None