SpongeBob bumbles through the multiverse in new adventure game - THQNordic at it again

The Last Stand

Honorary Harlow Hostess
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

SpongeBob bumbles through the multiverse in new adventure game​

Jump from world to world with your dear friend Patrick Star
By Ana Diaz@Pokachee Sep 17, 2021, 3:30pm EDT

Share this story​

SpongeBob SquarePants and Patrick Star will stumble through a Rick and Morty-esque multiverse in an upcoming adventure game, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake. Announced by developer THQ Nordic on Friday, the game is “coming soon” to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows PC, according to a description of the game on THQ Nordic’s YouTube page.
The game follows SpongeBob and Patrick after the two unintentionally open up portals to other universes. In the game, you’ll be able explore seven different worlds and dress your characters up with 30 skins.
The trailer shows SpongeBob and his friend Patrick in a variety of scenarios inspired by the show, as they navigate the portals. Fans of the classic Nickelodeon show will recognize a cast of characters like the Flying Dutchman or Mrs. Puff. Also, SpongeBob lip-synchs to a classic rock song from SpongeBob SquarePants: The Yellow Album.
SpongeBob has been living his best video game life lately. The beloved invertebrate is coming to Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, which is basically a Super Smash Bros.-style fighting game with Nickelodeon characters, and Mr. SquarePants got a fun taunt that mimics a popular meme in it.

Now, how did I hear about this game?

Youtube told me.

Wait, that thumbnail looks familar, they didn't...

They did. Sweet Victory is playing.

Idaho Battle Barn

Death from above! Death from above!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll be optimistic and say that it probably won't be as bad as the previous video games released (excluding Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated, which was pretty good). I did like how they used beats from the early spongebob episodes for their humor, so maybe they're going to stylize it more like how spongebob was under Hillenburg's creative vision?

The Last Stand

Honorary Harlow Hostess
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So far, it seems like THQNordic knows what they're doing with capitalizing on nostalgia AND making great products. (Can't believe I have to praise a company for making good products.) Destroy All Humans, BfBB, maybe they'll get something with this original title.

Weed Eater

Why yes I DO smoke marijuana; it's goooood stuff!
kiwifarms.net
This is going to be a half-assed game and all the nostalgia fags of my generation aren't going to notice or give any fucks about it.

It's already happening with Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. The game is going to be released extremely soon (within the next month or so) despite it being unpolished as fuck. There is no voice acting, it's just a Melee clone, made by a team of dudes who are already known for making "one of the best Melee ports" or some shit. You'd think the hype and endless amounts of money would force Viacom's hand to make an actually good game, but no. Anything to save a buck these days!

The Last Stand

Honorary Harlow Hostess
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is going to be a half-assed game and all the nostalgia fags of my generation aren't going to notice or give any fucks about it.

It's already happening with Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. The game is going to be released extremely soon (within the next month or so) despite it being unpolished as fuck. There is no voice acting, it's just a Melee clone, made by a team of dudes who are already known for making "one of the best Melee ports" or some shit. You'd think the hype and endless amounts of money would force Viacom's hand to make an actually good game, but no. Anything to save a buck these days!
Two different developers.

Liquid Marlon

-. .. -.-. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. /
kiwifarms.net
Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated is absolute garbage, people only like the game because they know about the original.

The game fixed literally almost nothing from the original and added new bugs that fuck up the original game like the rocks in the Mermalair Main Chamber level that get turned into obstacles because they decided to give them Collision which is something that wasn't in the original.

It doesn't help that instead of putting effort into re-adding the cut content from the original, they decided to make a throwaway raid mode. And the other additional content they added was so many shitty memes because that's what's hip and cool, right?

On the topic of that, they deadass made the baby Patrick meme a small companion for this game.
And on the other side of that is how they specifically used Band Geeks because that would pull people's heartstrings. I just see what they are doing and I don't want to be those types that clap because they recognize the reference which I foresee will be double the amount that was in the original Battle for Bikini Bottom.

Now to end this off, the game's enemies look super generic, they remind me of Globs of Doom and the plot appears to be just as generic with it doing the whole Multiverse thing that seems to be all the rage now.

I just know it's going to be on the same shitty level that Rehydrated was on but worse because the developers don't have a pre-existing game to just copy and paste this time.
But I also know that people will just eat it up because they liked the first game and will get off to all the references that they will put in this game.

Edit: here's a video that talks about it, I don't agree with every one of his points but it still showcases a lot of my problems with the remake.
Clipped out the Lou2 part (and dumb skit ending as well).

I understand what he was going for but it doesn't matter if the gameplay is better than the first one if it (as a story-driven game) has a shittier story that has almost nothing to do with the game setting.

Last edited:

StraightShooter2

kiwifarms.net
Normally I wouldn't play a game based on an overrated cartoon for 7-year olds - if the gameplay was actually good, such as something akin to Super Mario Galaxy, I might consider it.

Liquid Marlon

kiwifarms.net
I'm going to up the ante and say the Battle at Bikini Bottom isn't particularly good either. It's an okay game that stands out because brand games are generally fucking awful and all manners of autists latched up to it. I expect this game to be exactly the same.
I'll admit that the first game isn't the greatest game out there but it did what it had to do and was good at it as well.

It was meant to be a licensed game for a cartoon which are known to be usually shovelware garbage but instead, it had actual heart and effort input into it with nice little references to the source material all the while being its own, Its story wasn't groundbreaking nor with its gameplay but it thoroughly captured the spirit of SpongeBob and that's what made it special.

Rehydrated had a chance to improve upon the game but instead, they thought it would be a better idea just to add pointless bullshit, it has no reason to exist other than nostalgia and money.

I see the same with this game, it's missing the heart and will just be a cash grab for those who are stuck in the past, it's plot is literally just what's big right now and will be used as a vehicle to shove in as many references as possible while the first game had actual relevance with the SpongeBob brand.

Btw if you're wondering what I think of the Movie Game, it's alright but nowhere as close to the original Battle for Bikini Bottom for several reasons with the biggest ones being how it had to be a retelling of the movie and also how it was really brought down by how it was rushed out for the movie's release.

But it will probably be better than this sequel if I'm going to be honest, hell I'm debating on if the Truth or Square game will also maybe end up being better than it but I don't because of how mediocre that game is but still, it at least tried and had a good reason to have tons of references.

On that note, will they remove Patrick as a playable character just to leave him as a goofy cute sidekick? From the looks of it, that seems to be the case.

Last edited:

The Last Stand

Honorary Harlow Hostess
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Btw if you're wondering what I think of the Movie Game, it's alright but nowhere as close to the original Battle for Bikini Bottom for several reasons with the biggest ones being how it had to be a retelling of the movie and also how it was really brought down by how it was rushed out for the movie's release.
Isn't the movie game and BfBB built on the same framework?

Liquid Marlon

kiwifarms.net
Isn't the movie game and BfBB built on the same framework?
Yeah, which was done to get the game out faster, it was only commissioned to be created because of the success of BFBB.

I foresee The Cosmic Shake doing the same thing which wouldn't be inherently bad but I also hope they don't reuse/reskin the same enemies over and over again like how the Movie Game did or do something else lazy like that because logically they would have more time to make this game than Heavy Iron Studios had with their sequel.

Dave.

We can't expect god to do all the work
kiwifarms.net
Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated is absolute garbage, people only like the game because they know about the original.

The game fixed literally almost nothing from the original and added new bugs that fuck up the original game like the rocks in the Mermalair Main Chamber level that get turned into obstacles because they decided to give them Collision which is something that wasn't in the original.

It doesn't help that instead of putting effort into re-adding the cut content from the original, they decided to make a throwaway raid mode. And the other additional content they added was so many shitty memes because that's what's hip and cool, right?

On the topic of that, they deadass made the baby Patrick meme a small companion for this game.
And on the other side of that is how they specifically used Band Geeks because that would pull people's heartstrings. I just see what they are doing and I don't want to be those types that clap because they recognize the reference which I foresee will be double the amount that was in the original Battle for Bikini Bottom.

Now to end this off, the game's enemies look super generic, they remind me of Globs of Doom and the plot appears to be just as generic with it doing the whole Multiverse thing that seems to be all the rage now.

I just know it's going to be on the same shitty level that Rehydrated was on but worse because the developers don't have a pre-existing games to just copy and paste this time.
But I also know that people will just eat it up because they liked the first game and will get off to all the references that they will put in this game.
Well you need to remember a couple things:

1. You have the #nochanges crowds who just want a graphics overhaul given that BFBB is a console only(?) game and you can't mod it so people will see changes and they'll get pissed.
You also have
2. The people who've never played the original and know nothing about it other than it was "best spongebob game" who currently is a cartoon titan that literally everyone talks about even to this day. Original copies are extremely hard to find unless you want to try your hand at emulation.

Never played Rehydrated so I can't comment on the state of the game (I'm not a fan of spongebob I'm way too old for that shit) but those are some reasons why people may like it or may have a more warmer impression of the remake than you.

The Last Stand

Honorary Harlow Hostess
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It seems like they're trying to go the Truth or Square approach with going back in time to different episodes of Spongebob.

I recognized a couple episodes the levels paid homage to.

Liquid Marlon

kiwifarms.net
It seems like they're trying to go the Truth or Square approach with going back in time to different episodes of Spongebob.

I recognized a couple episodes the levels paid homage to.
All of the ones in the trailer were just throwbacks to the pre-movie Spongebob with only have a tiny few for post-movie with the stand out one being Kill Bill Sandy (which there is a strong chance that she'll look like for the entire game) again I understand why they did this but it just feels kind of scummy.

If it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it was more mixed but it's obvious that it's going for that old fan nostalgia angle (something they already did with Rehydrated) which is interesting because the game will for sure have an equal amount (or more) of newer Spongebob references.

Not the biggest deal in the world, I don't see any classic fanboy shiting their pants over the Jelliens having a camo. It's just obvious where their priorities are, which I can't fully blame them for but still.