Star Control: Origins removed from Steam after DMCA takedown notice - Reboot taken down by DMCA

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
https://www.pcgamer.com/star-control-origins-removed-from-steam-after-dmca-takedown-notice/
http://archive.vn/kEAZB
Star Control: Origins removed from Steam after DMCA takedown notice
By Samuel Horti 6 hours ago

Part of a long-running dispute between Stardock and the creators of the original Star Control games.

The designers of 1990 MS-DOS game Star Control have issued a DMCA takedown notice against Star Control: Origins, Stardock's RPG reboot of the series. The game has been removed from Steam and Stardock expects it will be removed from GOG, too.

The Stardock team said anyone who has bought the game will be able to keep playing it, and that they hope it will return to Steam "soon". In the meantime, they may have to lay off staff to help cut costs, the team said in a Steam post.

It's the latest development in a long-running dispute over copyrights and trademarks between Stardock and the creators of Star Control and Star Control 2, Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III. Stardock acquired rights to the franchise in 2013, and on the eve of the launch of Star Control: Origins beta in 2017, Ford and Reiche announced a "direct sequel" to the original game called Ghosts of the Precursors. Stardock filed a complaint over trademark infringement, which was followed by a countersuit by Reiche and Ford.

You can read Stardock's side of the story here, while Ford and Reich have chronicled the dispute on their website. Both sides have proposed various settlements, none of which have been agreed on.

Stardock has uploaded a copy of the DMCA notice, sent to both GOG and Valve, here. In its Steam post, it said that "rather than relying on the legal system to resolve this, [Ford and Reiche] have chosen to bypass it by issuing vague DMCA takedown notices to Steam and GOG".

Ford and Reiche have not yet put out a statement, but I've contacted them and will update this post when I hear back.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
big ooof

also stardock? as in stardock entertainment? the guys who did SOASE?
Yeh. Stardock ran by Brad Wardell. Since the game is on GOG, I took a quick look and it might look like a mediocre game. Then see some reviews and all they do is sperg about the game being stolen. Not really saying how the game is bad, just "stolen from its original developers."

@Jaimas made a long tism post related to this tism.
https://kiwifarms.net/threads/board-discussion-thread-suggestions.37847/page-4#post-4147663
https://kiwifarms.net/threads/secret-gamer-girl-secretgamergrrl-googleshng-violet-hargrave-jacob-lawrence-jake-alley.23920/page-767#post-4147158

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeh. Stardock ran by Brad Wardell. Since the game is on GOG, I took a quick look and it might look like a mediocre game. Then see some reviews and all they do is sperg about the game being stolen. Not really saying how the game is bad, just "stolen from its original developers."

https://kiwifarms.net/threads/board-discussion-thread-suggestions.37847/page-4#post-4147663
https://kiwifarms.net/threads/secret-gamer-girl-secretgamergrrl-googleshng-violet-hargrave-jacob-lawrence-jake-alley.23920/page-767#post-4147158
My favorite part is how they have a gofundme for suing Stardock. It's not doing so well either.
upload_2019-1-1_18-15-54.png

$40k of $2 million in just 6 months. Wow.

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net

Screenshot_1804.jpg

Wardell was actually answering some questions (this was yesterday lol i was bored end of the years party are not very good here) and yeah he mention that he adquired the rights of the Star Control trademark and Star control 3 from Atari, the "original" creators dont have that even when they claim that they do, according to what is know they both refused the rights after they ended their contract, they decided to go the lolcow way and issue a DMCA in New year eve when they know the automated system is utterly garbage and the offices would be closed, Star control origins doesnt have ANYTHING related to the old ones except the name and the concept, the aliens, lore and ships is new, the other guys has absolutely no case, a shame because Star Control 2 for the 3DO is one of the best games i know

this has the potential for some severe law and autism episodes.
Several weebs mentioned in twitter that the original creator had absolutely no case and if they go to court they are going to lose as bad as Russel vs Ariana Grande, they know this so they proceed to bypass the hassle and the shame by using DMCA as a tactical autistic weapon, it did not help that they were both bitching to GOG because they were selling Star Control 1 and 2, even when they dont have the rights to it, funny that they bitch about Star Control 2 when you can play it for free via the Ur-quan masters

I dont think they can asspull a China, maybe @AnOminous can tell us

Last edited:

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
this has the potential for some severe law and autism episodes.

also looking at the surface theirs a company called toys for bob which is related to another company/developer called random access.

toys for bob parent company also happens to be Activision.

this is most definitely interesting.

https://www.toysforbob.com/
Toys for Bob is notable because their 2010s output consists of Skylanders and the Crash/Spyro remakes which likely made Activision shitloads of money. If anything, they're making shitloads of money right now from how well those games are selling.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My favorite part is how they have a gofundme for suing Stardock. It's not doing so well either.
View attachment 627928
$40k of $2 million in just 6 months. Wow.
A gofundme to get capital to sue Stardock. Beyond "fucking what", this is inherently funny in that they really gotta sue a guy just to get back their license. Also since the archive cuts it down, here's something from their GoFundMe.
The Crimson Corporation

But then Stardock Systems Inc., led by CEO Brad Wardell , filed a lawsuit against us, seeking not just to prevent the creation of Ghosts of the Precursors and to take our past creative work, but also, bizarrely, to strip us of credit as creators of the original game.

So how did Stardock get involved in this? In 2013 the corporation purportedly bought a few Star Control assets at a bankruptcy auction, but importantly not our games or creative work. Shortly after the auction, Brad Wardell contacted us to see if we would help him make a new Star Control game, or at least license our creative work to Stardock. We gave a clear ‘no’ to both offers, because we wanted to preserve our creative work for our own projects. For the next 4 years Brad Wardell repeatedly asked to license the original material, and each time we rejected him, Brad assured us Stardock would never everuse any of our material without permission. These assurances turned out to be false.

Shortly after we announced Ghosts of the Precursors, Stardock claimed they had always had rights to our original, creative material and began to bundle and sell our game without permission. When we tried to stop these illegal sales, Stardock filed their lawsuit.

We (Fred and Paul) have worked together for 30 years and have seen almost everything the game industry has to offer, but have never seen or experienced a predatory legal attack like this -- an established, corporate publisher attempting to bully two lone developers into surrendering their most treasured game, characters and unique universe.
So is Wardell actually trying to strip their name as creators of the original game or are these guys just trying to play up for sympathy?

Toys for Bob is notable because their 2010s output consists of Skylanders and the Crash/Spyro remakes which likely made Activision shitloads of money. If anything, they're making shitloads of money right now from how well those games are selling.
Reading that right, these guys are more or less part of a company that had Christine give a good amount of tugboat to, as with other kids that wanted Skylanders. The only excuse one could think in these guys needing a GoFundMe is Activision not wanting to put up with this shit.

Wardell making the tough questions

View attachment 627957

And he is practically in a tweeting spree explaining the case and triggering people very hard
And with Wardell on a spree, one can expect people that sperg against him to say Brad's Satan and his Star Control: Origin is a false game. It also makes me wonder: much as we can rejoice over original creators getting back their property and all, wouldn't they be fallible in fucking up with the next game?

GoG is also talking about the whole DMCA, especially since it means the game can be taken off of GoG.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/early_warning_star_control_origins_removal_probably_right_away/page1

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A gofundme to get capital to sue Stardock. Beyond "fucking what", this is inherently funny in that they really gotta sue a guy just to get back their license. Also since the archive cuts it down, here's something from their GoFundMe.
My favorite part is how they blew the chance to buy the rights back and now they're whining as Stardock actually makes a game.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. 0 and trashbat

Jaimas

Turned a Haro Into a Fighting Machine
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
....So then why are they crowdfunding their defense? And so badly?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The entire thing is a shitshow but i dont know legalese so i dont know what is happening
There's some more of this legalese unless this one is the same as you linked. With all this drama, I decided I may as well give Origin a chance to see how it is without the spergings of "true creators", "fuck Stardock", and all this other tard raging.

....So then why are they crowdfunding their defense? And so badly?
I may as well go out on one optimistic limb in saying Activision likely doesn't want to touch this hot mess of tism. That said, you can also expect it to be two guys using what they were known for to rouse up support. Seeing how people say the game should be back with it's "original creators", it makes one wonder: assuming these guys will make another Star Control, are they really going to succeed? This is all a guess in them going after what may as well be somewhat niche market in the entire gaming industry. Then again they always could just rename the game and slap "from the guys behind Star Control." and not bother with any legal tism.

Maybe Activision want the Star Control ip but they are using the two dumbass to get it without wasting to much resources/burning PR?
If Activision gets its hand on Star Control, one could expect something along the lines of turning a space game into a complete action fest that becomes another COD in space.

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net
I decided I may as well give Origin a chance to see how it is without the spergings of "true creators", "fuck Stardock", and all this other tard raging.
Its a good game but remember to patch it, i played the first version and found annoying that you had to land in every planet to see if there is something valuable but almost all the time there is nothing, that was fixed in a patch that added a scanner that let you know what planets have something interesting, you still have to grind a little to buy upgrades tho, im going to replay Star Control 2 in the 3DO because i pretty much forgot everything about it, i remember playing one in the Mega Drive but never liked it to much (the ship just straight rocketed out of everything and crashed)

And never go to the east side unless you want to get wrecked pretty hard

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its a good game but remember to patch it, i played the first version and found annoying that you had to land in every planet to see if there is something valuable but almost all the time there is nothing, that was fixed in a patch that added a scanner that let you know what planets have something interesting, you still have to grind a little to buy upgrades tho, im going to replay Star Control 2 in the 3DO because i pretty much forgot everything about it, i remember playing one in the Mega Drive but never liked it to much (the ship just straight rocketed out of everything and crashed)

And never go to the east side unless you want to get wrecked pretty hard
Giving it a try I can say this:
-Ship combat can be tricky, at least in a sense that you gotta make shots count
-Starting a new game at first made it look stuck and after making sure files were verified, I had to wait a minute or so to play

Beyond those, spending a few minutes in seeing how the game is, it looks like it has potential. If anything, the one star reviews are nothing more than petty review bombs. Also forgot to share this from the GOG reviews:
Stole money from the REAL developers of the game. Support the people who actually NEED the money, not the suits who sit in their tall offices all day, leaching off society.
I find this review ironically funny since the hwole "tall offices all day" can apply to the original developers if they are still part of Toys for Bob since that's nothing more than a part of Activision for God knows how long, especially if the two original devs are heads which means they'd also be suits in tall offices.

Also in light of this whole DMCA:
A guy that's a lawyer weighs in on this.

Jaimas

Turned a Haro Into a Fighting Machine
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm responding to this one in the thread it belongs in, rather than further shitting up the Lolcow and Lolcow board with it.

Stardock is a shitty company and Wardell is a hack. Toys for Bobs makes far better games so I'm all for them in this situation. Also I doubt your retelling of the facts of the case.
A lot of stuff's coming in that suggests that both sides are fucking idiots, and that the only ones winning from this Autism are the lawyers. Leonard French did a big thing on it, as did Youtube Law. The former actually advised in this case and chimed in recently on it, definitely worth checking out. Check @c-no's post above for details.

We're getting more details on it all the time, so as more evidence filters in, we're likely to get a better picture of the entire shebang. There's certainly a number of idiotic missteps Wardell seems to have made in it, including trying to pre-empt the DMCA, despite the previous conflict being something going for almost a year. There's no question that while we may be looking at a Ken Penders situation in a sense (wherein Wardell technically owns the rights to the IP, but not to anything else about it), Stardock has clearly had some overstep in the process.

I do not doubt that PR3/FF have legit claims, especially given that this shit has been going on for quite a while. The very nature of the Atari/Accolade dissolution, especially now that more details are becoming clear, means this being an absolute clusterfuck was a bygone conclusion, and the only question was going to be how big a clusterfuck it was going to be and how much both sides' legal teams get out of it.

Regardless of how you feel about Wardell (and you are right to not like him if that's your bag, it's not like he's not a borderline cow himself, FFS), the ongoing 'Tism storm surrounding the controversy goes into the realm of outright ridiculous, which is the centerpiece of why I wanted to keep an eye on it (thanks, @c-no, for doing so). There's numerous Lolcows we already have threads on sperging about it (always a productive time), and if past experience is any indication, we're likely going to see even funnier shit (likely from all sides involved) as this continues to run its course.

• Informative
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm responding to this one in the thread it belongs in, rather than further shitting up the Lolcow and Lolcow board with it.

A lot of stuff's coming in that suggests that both sides are fucking idiots, and that the only ones winning from this Autism are the lawyers. Leonard French did a big thing on it, as did Youtube Law. The former actually advised in this case and chimed in recently on it, definitely worth checking out. Check @c-no's post above for details.

We're getting more details on it all the time, so as more evidence filters in, we're likely to get a better picture of the entire shebang. There's certainly a number of idiotic missteps Wardell seems to have made in it, including trying to pre-empt the DMCA, despite the previous conflict being something going for almost a year. There's no question that while we may be looking at a Ken Penders situation in a sense (wherein Wardell technically owns the rights to the IP, but not to anything else about it), Stardock has clearly had some overstep in the process.

I do not doubt that PR3/FF have legit claims, especially given that this shit has been going on for quite a while. The very nature of the Atari/Accolade dissolution, especially now that more details are becoming clear, means this being an absolute clusterfuck was a bygone conclusion, and the only question was going to be how big a clusterfuck it was going to be and how much both sides' legal teams get out of it.

Regardless of how you feel about Wardell (and you are right to not like him if that's your bag, it's not like he's not a borderline cow himself, FFS), the ongoing 'Tism storm surrounding the controversy goes into the realm of outright ridiculous, which is the centerpiece of why I wanted to keep an eye on it (thanks, @c-no, for doing so). There's numerous Lolcows we already have threads on sperging about it (always a productive time), and if past experience is any indication, we're likely going to see even funnier shit (likely from all sides involved) as this continues to run its course.
You're welcome. As for saying Toys for Bob making good games, it's better to see what they've made lately and beyond the recent Crash and Spyro games, the stuff they made before that in recent memory is Skylanders which more or less gave Chris something to spend tugboat money on (and it does make one wonder if they still got it if they still want to make a space game with the Star Control name). In all, lawyers are the only ones winning in this exceptional lol-suit since it means a big fat paycheck from game developers fighting over a license. The one taking the most beating may as well be Star Control Origin in that it managed to get some 1 star reviews that are less about the merits more of the game and more of people sperging out over the lawsuit. Of course, it's all more or less recentish so we may as well wait to see how much more this develop.

And while I'll admit to not playing any of the games until recently, I can say it may as well be exceptional to take the games out of the store unless Toys for Bob or Stardock were like Running With Scissors in giving away free CD keys for it.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino