Star Trek -

As part of my effort to save culture, I posted this in RLM, obviously should post here too.

(can I convert the link above into a video? I'd hate to upload the same video twice to null's servers)
My only complaint about this is that they didn't include any of the Generations bit, or Picard giving Q a tounge lashing about the Human spirit. The first one was oddly Prophetic, we have a series about Picard..where he was taken out of the Captain's chair..and he and the series both completely lost everything great about Star Trek.

Guts Gets Some

Don't lose your way
kiwifarms.net
"I did strongly make the point that I didn't want to be in the uniform." --Patrick Stewart

Yeah, man, I mean the uniform isn't important to the fans.
View attachment 1306658
*In Plinkett's voice* "Ohhhhh"
It's Bill Murray in Ghostbusters 2 syndrome (as they've pointed out in the commentary): sheer indifference. "I want to do as little work as possible and still be 'involved', no costumes, no hard acting, more screen time than I deserve."

Stewart is a hack, plain and simple. He never cared or even liked Trek.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
"I did strongly make the point that I didn't want to be in the uniform." --Patrick Stewart

Yeah, man, I mean the uniform isn't important to the fans.
View attachment 1306658
*In Plinkett's voice* "Ohhhhh"
It's Bill Murray in Ghostbusters 2 syndrome (as they've pointed out in the commentary): sheer indifference. "I want to do as little work as possible and still be 'involved', no costumes, no hard acting, more screen time than I deserve."

Stewart is a hack, plain and simple. He never cared or even liked Trek.
To play devil's advocate, if the series took place after Picard retired (which was the only logical starting point), then you could certainly write a story where he never puts on the uniform, or at least rarely. An example might be Picard going to an official Starfleet event, a conference or something like that; obviously he'd still have a dress uniform for such an occasion. Hell, in the supposed original story where he goes on an archaeological dig, I could see him in plainclothes pretty easily.

But you're definitely right in that this was done solely to placate Patrick Stewart. They needed to get the show off the ground and couldn't do it without Stewart, so they gave him control to write whatever story he wanted, and that was the result.

Can we go back to the Roman custom of giving actors the same societal standing as prostitutes? I feel like that would solve so many problems with the entertainment industry.

Cast Iron Pan

First-generation son of Antarcticano refugees
kiwifarms.net
"Picard was written to shame a white man of privilege into including more people of color and diversity and a pitbull and to show how horrible you are as a person for liking him as he was you *ist/*phobe"

Article in question:

Fuck all these people, they hate EVERYTHING that is successful.
trek pitbull owner.jpg

The addition of the pitbull was an obvious sjw jab. And perhaps the dumbest sjw cause yet.

Like Picard would ever own a pitbull! He'd have a golden retriever or some other large, useful, worthwhile dog.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1308012

The addition of the pitbull was an obvious sjw jab. And perhaps the dumbest sjw cause yet. It really shows how they think 'marginalized' groups are stupid pets to them.

Like Picard would ever own a pitbull! He'd have a golden retriever or some other large, useful, worthwhile dog.

Why the fuck would he use a pitbull on a goddamn vinyard? Pitbulls make great attack dogs if you have land that is full of wild animals that need controlled (wolves, hogs, foxes, etc.). I cannot see the goddamn captain of the fucking enterprise, a refined gentleman, a scholar, a poet, and someone who admires art for art's sake have a goddamn pitbull. That's like Michael Jordan saying "You know what, I'll drive a toyota Corolla cause it's really cool to have one, make it a mid 90s for sure."

No. Fuck No. Black people get pitbulls because they are cheap, they kill things they attack, and if they die there's more of 'em and you can just replace them when L'Dasha's baby daddy shoots it when it eats their kid.

I could see PIcard having a greyhound if anything. Something sleek , styleish, and fast. Anything besides a ghetto blasting killer animal like a pitbull.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
iirc for a while Stewart took issue with Picard even having the fish as a pet because he felt Picard was that fart-sniffing about respecting life
which kinda jives with Picard liking horses as equals
but yeah Jean Luc Pitbull was dumb

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net
It's also weird that a guy who always liked horses decided to get a shitbull.

Why the fuck would he use a pitbull on a goddamn vinyard?
...and why would a pitbull still be a thing in the 24th century?
I cannot see the goddamn captain of the fucking enterprise, a refined gentleman, a scholar, a poet, and someone who admires art for art's sake have a goddamn pitbull.
Good point.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not even just a pit bull, it's an unneutered male pit with docked ears. It's literally a drug dealer dog. Which still exists hundreds of years in the future because Patrick Stewart wanted to make a political point.
I lost my fucking shit with that line about how the dog would let him know if Dahj was dangerous, as though there aren't literally thousands of cases of these things suddenly mauling small children who aren't doing anything. I half expect to hear about this specific dog mauling somebody because fucking look at it. It's ridiculous.

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
You know, I always pictured Picard owning something like a Saluki. Elegant, grafeful, it's as if God was designing a deer and decided halfway through that he'd rather make a dog.
If he was gonna go for a "tough" dog I'd be more inclined the picture Picard with a Doberman. Perhaps a Mastiff.
A Great Dane would also fit well.
Maybe an Irish Setter, which are just gorgeous.

But a pit bull? Fucking hell, that's just weird to see sitting next to Picard on a French vineyard.

Flexo

Drunk posting normal. Beware sober posting.
kiwifarms.net
Why the fuck would he use a pitbull on a goddamn vinyard? Pitbulls make great attack dogs if you have land that is full of wild animals that need controlled (wolves, hogs, foxes, etc.). I cannot see the goddamn captain of the fucking enterprise, a refined gentleman, a scholar, a poet, and someone who admires art for art's sake have a goddamn pitbull. That's like Michael Jordan saying "You know what, I'll drive a toyota Corolla cause it's really cool to have one, make it a mid 90s for sure."

No. Fuck No. Black people get pitbulls because they are cheap, they kill things they attack, and if they die there's more of 'em and you can just replace them when L'Dasha's baby daddy shoots it when it eats their kid.

I could see PIcard having a greyhound if anything. Something sleek , styleish, and fast. Anything besides a ghetto blasting killer animal like a pitbull.
Nah. Picard would have been a total Border Collie owner.

For one thing they're smarter than season 2 Worf.

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
Nah. Picard would have been a total Border Collie owner.

For one thing they're smarter than season 2 Worf.
I still love the jokes about Worf being shit as comms operator.
Picard: "Mr. Worf, open a channel."
*initiates hail*
Alien officer: "They're hailing us, capt-"
Worf: "No response."

Reactions: millais

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
I'm not really a trekie but Considering i liked those comics I picked up and now I just bought the first and fifth movie on Blu-ray I am concerned about myself.

But in all seriousness the criticism lobbied at the first movie is somewhat justified. The sets and miniatures are very well done putting the 60s show to shame but damn does it drag on at a snails pace. I have to imagine audiences in 1979 where baked off their assets watching this cause it's the only way these scenes could go by faster. Alien was definitely the better sci-fi movie of 79

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
kiwifarms.net
But in all seriousness the criticism lobbied at the first movie is somewhat justified. The sets and miniatures are very well done putting the 60s show to shame but damn does it drag on at a snails pace. I have to imagine audiences in 1979 where baked off their assets watching this cause it's the only way these scenes could go by faster. Alien was definitely the better sci-fi movie of 79
Star Trek: The (Slow) Motion Picture was a shitty knockoff of "2001: A Space Odyssey" And I don't even particularly like 2001 to begin with. Also, this guy, a major character in the film:
Will_Decker.jpg
\
is a Joe Biden. That's my euphemism for 'child molester' these days, you know... Because Joe Biden is an obvious child molester, and yet still has at least *some* chance at being our next president...

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
I'm not really a trekie but Considering i liked those comics I picked up and now I just bought the first and fifth movie on Blu-ray I am concerned about myself.

I literally just rewatched it a few days ago, and when you're aware of the backstory behind its production, it makes more sense. To summarize, TMP used the pilot script from the proposed Phase II TV series that never aired, edited and expanded and stretched out to make a movie. Viewed in that context, while it can definitely feel plodding at times (the wormhole sequence, the various long effects shots of flying into V'Ger), it also feels the most like a TOS episode. It's the crew of the Enterprise boldly going where no man has gone before, a little corny at times but with that same sort of heart that makes TOS fun.

Of course, it also released in a post-Star Wars world, so a long and plodding yet thought-provoking sci-fi movie in the vein of 2001 just didn't resonate with audiences as well as a simple space adventure. It wasn't a total failure, but it also wasn't the runaway success Paramount was looking for. Funny you bring up Alien, since TMP did slightly better than Alien at the box office, though you might chalk that up to brand recognition. It did well enough to greenlight sequels, and most of those were good or great.

Still, I've got a soft spot for TMP. I don't even find the "boring" parts bad. Those long, beautiful effects shots show you the scale of just what the Enterprise is dealing with, the enormity of V'Ger and its mysteries. It's easy to get drawn in as you observe what the crew is looking at, and you get drawn into the mystery too. Plus all the sex metaphors are great, down to the cosmic orgasm at the end. I imagine it's also a fun movie to watch while high, so that can't hurt.

So yeah. Some of the criticism is justified, but not all of it. There's a lot to like in TMP, but nothing more than Persis Khambatta.
1590041979879.png

Tags
None