Star Trek -

Hot Dawg

Water, please.
kiwifarms.net
That's actually my theory. You will never find the spirit of Star Trek in any of JJ or Kurtzman productions because they rely only on the pop culture aspect of the brand.
The people behind the reboots clearly half assed it for the general audience and are generally poor writers. This has been discussed before. The echoes of reboot Star Trek bleeding into Star Wars are really noticeable, almost like a test run. And equally disappointing.

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Picard vs Janeway round 2 finally here for the public.
I mean... I don't even blame Chuck for thinking that it was a missed opportunity not getting Janeway for that role, I see the appeal. But despite what I've said about her in the past, I actually generally *like* Janeway (even if she was written inconsistently af), thank Mulgrew for that. If Janeway had been "Admiral Sheer Fucking Hubris" I would probably have to hate her, like I hate the cunt (talking about the character, I don't know the actress) that they actually got for that role in Picard.

Last edited:

Flexo

Booze for every robot; a bullet for every human
kiwifarms.net
I mean... I don't even blame Chuck for thinking that it was a missed opportunity not getting Janeway for that role, I see the appeal. But despite what I've said about her in the past, I actually generally *like* Janeway (even if she was written inconsistently af), thank Mulgrew for that. If Janeway had been "Admiral Sheer Fucking Hubris" I would probably have to hate her, like I hate the cunt (talking about the character, I don't know the actress) that they actually got for that role in Picard.
Mulgrew is good enough she might have been able to sell the scene better.

Imperial Citizen

For the Empire!
kiwifarms.net
Having been going through DS9, I realized that one of my favorite parts was Garak and Bashir talking about a Cardassian novel which was about seven generations of cardassians dedicating their lives to the state. Every story has the same plot and the same conclusion.

What a brilliant way to show an alien culture. Sure the klingons have a militaristic culture and the Vulcan view everything logically, but the idea of someone enjoying reading the same story over and over again is so alien that it makes the cardassians distinct.

werewolf rape erotica

SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY ASS!
kiwifarms.net
Apropos of nothing, I just wanted to share the Netflix blurb for a certain VOY episode:

"When attacked by a race that despises holographic beings, Seven of Nine downloads the Doctor's holographic matrix into her implants" (emphasis mine). 😂
Which, by the way, is a pretty good episode, because it's Jeri Ryan doing her best Robert Picardo impression for most of the episode.

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Apropos of nothing, I just wanted to share the Netflix blurb for a certain VOY episode:

"When attacked by a race that despises holographic beings, Seven of Nine downloads the Doctor's holographic matrix into her implants" (emphasis mine). 😂
That episode was kind of funny. No problem with the Borg, but damn those holograms.

Reactions: Cyril Sneer

Kinotobie

kiwifarms.net
already pointed out the other flaws in your post. I'm just pointing out here that you undercut your own argument. Because TMP, the very first movie, established a primitive earth prob had magical powers to bring back the sexy bald chick. So then therefore there is no flaw with the genesis device because "just anything is acceptable." And I can apply this back to the TOS to bring up all kinds of episodes where magic shit happened per your standard so you just have to admit already that you hate all of Star Trek.
I don't remember anyone coming back to life in TMP, but the ending was pretty stupid since it has a primitive Earth probe being a massive supercomputer, so I'll grant the ending was silly.

I don't like TOS, but that's just because it's too cheesy and silly.

The Genesis Device doesn't just establish that the Federation has Q levels technology, but it opens up a billion plot holes (why was it never brought up during the Dominion Wars, for example). I'm just glad they never brought it up again.

• Dislike
Reactions: L50LasPak

Flexo

Booze for every robot; a bullet for every human
kiwifarms.net
I don't remember anyone coming back to life in TMP, but the ending was pretty stupid since it has a primitive Earth probe being a massive supercomputer, so I'll grant the ending was silly.

I don't like TOS, but that's just because it's too cheesy and silly.

The Genesis Device doesn't just establish that the Federation has Q levels technology, but it opens up a billion plot holes (why was it never brought up during the Dominion Wars, for example). I'm just glad they never brought it up again.
Although Ilia was killed by the V'ger probe, V'ger created another probe that was an artificial near-duplicate of her to collect information and act as a liaison between V'ger and the "carbon units" that "infested" the Enterprise. The probe mentioned that the Ilia unit was "no longer functioning". The duplicated Ilia probe was similar to Ilia down to the molecular structure, as a medical exam later revealed. The probe included both her memories and personality, though both suppressed by V'ger's programming.​

As for the rest, that's just a regular feature of Trek. Hell DS9 had an entire episode about a replicate-able gun that could use transporter tech to fire bullets at targets through walls. Complete with x-ray targeting system.

To quote Chuck: between that and phaser proof barrels (make body armor out of the material), how did the federation ever lose the war?

It's practically a running gag for the show to ignore tech and solutions they used effectively in previous weeks.

Hell the transport and replicator are pretty much Q tech on their own with massive potential for power abuse. But we just ignore those to enjoy the shows & movies.

Tags
None