Star Trek -

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So speaking as a very casual fan/observer...why is the Star Trek license getting so heavily whored out all of a sudden?
The current owners of the IP still think that they can make money off of Star Trek with minimal effort and maximum woke points, even with all of the utter shit they've already made... and they (unfortunately) haven't *totally* been proven wrong yet.

Stardust

Ģιίττεર ƣƲεεɴ
kiwifarms.net
TOS and TNG are the two I grew up with, even though DS9 and Voyager were around. The latter two were not really watched by me, even if I did catch episodes here and there. As a kid, for a few months, my household didn't have cable and was limited to what the ol' "rabbit ears" could receive. This meant, late at night, the riveting choices of Jay Leno, David Letterman, infomercials, or Star Trek reruns as the only in-bed viewing.

As for Picard, some folks I'm around are suddenly Trek fans. But they only care about Seven of Nine's romance. Before that, there was little interest to want to watch, as modern Star Trek - series or movies - just fails to intrigue me. All in all, there's a soft spot for the franchise, though it is akin to good memories associated with a loved one. Those times were great, but they are gone now and shall not return.

Miller

Say "no" to kikongo
kiwifarms.net
So speaking as a very casual fan/observer...why is the Star Trek license getting so heavily whored out all of a sudden?
It's because Alex Kurtzman wants to be at the helm of a MCU-like structure (it didn't work with his Amazing Spider-Man, it didn't work either with the Monsterverse or whatever it was called Dark Universe, both failed because of his writing). He said once that Star Trek never had a cinematic universe, a coherent story that united all their spin-off... until he came onboard. Another time, he admitted that "DS9 and VOY failed" because people couldn't tell the difference since "they looked the same".
I just like how that asshole takes over a franchise and starts talking shit about the previous owners who knew the IP better than him.
The animated part is more creepy because he said in one of those interviews that they're doing it not to get more kids to watch Trek but to shape their minds.

edit: fixed the name of the Universal "cinematic universe".

Last edited:
Hey, even a blind squirrel can occasionally find a 'Year of Hell'
A truly terrible episode. It encapsulated everything wrong with Voyager in 90 minutes: A high-concept plot that makes no sense, concluding with the ship itself smashing into a giant reset button.
If you believe the various rumors, a CBS executive didn't like Star Trek very much, and there was a hard separation between JJ Abrams's movies and the classic Treks that severely curtailed licensing. The executive retired, JJ Trek died, and CBS needed a show to launch its streaming service, thus Discovery was born. It's not entirely clear how successful Discovery was, but CBS realized the market was there, and now they're trying (or at least announcing) everything to see what will stick:
Star Trek: Discovery, a dark and gritty series about war, cannibalism, fucking science, the mirror universe, and the post-Federation galaxy
Star Trek: Section 31, a dark and gritty series about psychopaths committing war crimes because that's the price of freedom
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, an optimistic series about classic characters exploring strange new worlds
Star Trek: Lower Decks, I'M PICKLE SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK
Star Trek: Prodigy, who the hell knows, this could be smarter and more dignified than Lower Decks.

Miller

Say "no" to kikongo
kiwifarms.net
It's probably another bait for Doomcock. The anon who wrote it didn't understand that breaking a story IS giving a title and a brief summary of what they want to do in an episode.

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: feral cat #6385

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
The leaks coming out about the Star Trek franchise are extremely funny.

"Lower Decks has received the lowest test-screen ratings of any television show in the history of CBS" This is honestly impressive, if true.

View attachment 1481628
God, I hope that's all true. I'm sure the Wu Flu is having effects on development in general, but after the poor response to nu-Trek (aside from Twitter bots), I wouldn't be surprised if there's talks of canning a lot of it, using the virus as an excuse to shut it down. Assuming this isn't just bait like @Miller said.

Supposing it's real and Kurtzman gets sacked, will he somehow continue to get work, or will Hollywood finally wise up to the fact that he personally sank two franchises (the Dark Universe that flopped after one movie, then nu-Trek) and isn't a good choice to run a production? I really don't have high hopes for that, to be honest. Way too many hack frauds have been able to find work long after they should have been run out of town.

Miller

Say "no" to kikongo
kiwifarms.net
I'm sure the Wu Flu is having effects on development in general
Indeed, especially since Picard is shot in California. I'm sure they can break the stories for the second season via video-conferences but they can't shoot a single scene because of the rules surrounding the Wu Flu in that state.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net

"Lower Decks has received the lowest test-screen ratings of any television show in the history of CBS" This is honestly impressive, if true.
Did you ever think we'd reach the days when wokeshits had completely destroyed every media franchise to the point it was the dudes who sell plastic toys of it who were demanding it be brought back to some kind of quality literally just because it had gotten so bad people wouldn't even buy plastic toys of it any more?

Assuming this isn't just bait like @Miller said.
It probably is but I believe it anyway.

JonesMcCannister

Who was dragged down by the stone
kiwifarms.net
I've never watched Star Trek before but I started watching TNG a few months ago and finished it pretty quickly and moved onto watching the original series, currently on season 3. I've never watched anything quite like it, the vision for the future is such an optimistic and hopeful one. The way that Picard talked about how materialistic wants being totally eliminated in the future is something most people would never consider to be a worthwhile goal to look towards, especially in modern times when those aspects of society are more pervasive then ever before but seem to go unnoticed by the majority. The show expertly handles moral dilemmas with a thoughtful Picard discussing the whole situation with his crew, making sure they're not just seeing things from a singular point of view. It's focus on character development and world building is a breathe of fresh air compared to most shit that is churned out these days. The show being ahead of it's time goes without saying, it's a shame that CBS is only interested in pumping out more shallow derivative shit instead of being honest to the source material and creating a show driven by characters instead of explosions and SFX. Heres to a brighter tomorrow and hopefully someone more competent gets their hand on the Star Trek name.

chad.jpg

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1481628
This sounds like the perpetual BS Midnight's Edge "leaks" of "CBS IN CHAOS, STD CANCELLED!!!!1!!!"

If CBS goes around axing Star Trek spinoffs I would imagine Strange New Worlds would be the last on the chopping block since Anson Mount is the only thing they have going for them in terms of goodwill right now and the sets are already built.

WhatIsThePunchline

kiwifarms.net
...my amateur opinion:

There is a shotgun approach to marketing where you shill out an ip to almost anyone in the hope you'll get some really cool things, could be what they were trying. Warhammer has done this to some amount of success, allowing almost anyone to make a Warhammer game, as well as pushed warhammer novels, board games, rpgs, even some attempts at movies. If it works you get some respected products and you can expose the ip to new fans. Also with a ton of mediocre crap out there people roll their eyes and then sift trough it to find what shines. But with one huge hyped up show it better be a masterpiece because everyone will watch it.

And it would make sense for Star Trek, they tried to do the big hyped up revival with discovery and then when that became contentious banked on Picard. Both shows which turned out to be disliked by old school fans and at best moderately liked by new fans. But there's room for different stories in the setting. If you get a couple of shows in production, one of them might stick and that'd help make a path for more.

Hell if I was a multimillionaire I'd call them up right now and be like 'can I have some Star Trek rights? Oh why yes, I'm definitely woke. I am the wokest. The rights please?'

And comedy is held to lower standards and cartoons too, so there's less risk to the ip. I have no doubt Discovery and especially Picard have damaged the Star Trek ip, regardless of how much of a success or failure the shows were, but if Lower Decks or Prodigy crashes and burns I doubt anyone will really care.

Reactions: L50LasPak

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
This sounds like the perpetual BS Midnight's Edge "leaks" of "CBS IN CHAOS, STD CANCELLED!!!!1!!!"
In Midnight's Edge's defense (perish the thought) its looking like Discovery is dead in the water right now, or undergoing serious contract revisions between the suits. And probably the actors too, a lot of them seemed really committed to the project and if I was any of them I'd be pissed at how it turned out. On top of that a lot of the technology will have to be redesigned to represent the new era the Discovery crew leapt into at the end of the last season, which may drive production costs up. I wager a new season of Discovery is a 50/50 chance.

I can see the Pike series being strangled in the crandle though because honestly that show even being greenlit in the first place sounded like a rumor to me. We don't have a whole lot of substantial evidence to go on that its even getting made and there are a lot of perfectly corporate reasons CBS could get cold feet on it. Again I give that one a 50/50 chance of actually going though.

This is like a couple of years back when there was talk of a new Abramsverse movies after Star Trek Beyond and basically all of the actors said "Fuck that shitfest, I'm doing literally anything else with my life." Including Chris Pine who seems to have been the first one to just ditch the idea completely. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the decently talented actors on these new news are getting fed up with their terrible lines and having to show absolutely no emotional range are starting to ask their agents to talk. Star Trek is no stranger to this kind of thing either, its technically happened as far back as TOS but it also happened in some of TNG and a lot of Voyager.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
The nightmare never ends. Great way to make people sick of "Trek" by flooding the market with all that crap. How many shows in production? 5? 6? Jesus Christ, not a single one of them look or feels like Star Trek.
Also Doomcuck was wrong again.

Funny, that's EXACTLY what Gene Roddenberry didn't want.
Wasn't that almost literally the plot of a DS9 episode? "The Valiant."

Did you ever think we'd reach the days when wokeshits had completely destroyed every media franchise to the point it was the dudes who sell plastic toys of it who were demanding it be brought back to some kind of quality literally just because it had gotten so bad people wouldn't even buy plastic toys of it any more?

It probably is but I believe it anyway.
In another age Activision sued Viacom for letting the series stagnate and ruining the sale of their vidya.

Reactions: L50LasPak

Miller

Say "no" to kikongo
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't that almost literally the plot of a DS9 episode? "The Valiant."
Not really. They were cadets on a classified mission.

View attachment 1481628
lol DC actually read those "leaks" during his recent livestream.

Reactions: Flexo
Tags
None