Star Trek -

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
The whole point of that scene was to have a woman belittle a white guy. You do not need to pay Mulgrew rates to do that. Any harsh, aging-lesbian-looking actress will do.
Then because of that they refilmed the scene to have Riker take on Romulan spy woman for... some reason

Judge Holden

Explorer in the further regions of autism
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even when it was at it's hokiest, the original series never achieved the sort of horribleness that STD and Picard have. Spock's Brain is a masterpiece compared to any episode of Picard.

Because even at its worst, the writers of oldtrek had a whole lot more quality control than the writers of today due to how much more competitive and unforgiving the industry was at that point compared to today's mushy "be our friend and insert trendy buzzwords and narratives and we will shill your work as a masterpiece no matter what" country club industry.

When you cant rely on flashy CGI to wow audiences and producers, a halfway decent sounding script and halfway decent performances are your only real lifeline, and while a lot of these scripts were still pretty damn terrible, they stand a thousand miles above pretty much everything trek related this past decade solely because there was atleast some level of effort put into them.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Because even at its worst, the writers of oldtrek had a whole lot more quality control than the writers of today due to how much more competitive and unforgiving the industry was at that point compared to today's mushy "be our friend and insert trendy buzzwords and narratives and we will shill your work as a masterpiece no matter what" country club industry.
Star Trek scripts used to be written by absolute legends like Robert "Psycho" Bloch, Harlan Ellison, Fredric Brown, Theodore Sturgeon, and too many others to list. They were ridiculously good for the time period. Who the fuck writes the shit currently vomited onto the screen? I don't even know and doubt I'd care if I did.

Robert James

Not your average John Smith
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did you ever think we'd reach the days when wokeshits had completely destroyed every media franchise to the point it was the dudes who sell plastic toys of it who were demanding it be brought back to some kind of quality literally just because it had gotten so bad people wouldn't even buy plastic toys of it any more?

It probably is but I believe it anyway.
I sort of did. Marketing is filled with women and communication degrees, it's the most clicky department outside of HR and often it's insulated from repercussions since you can't directly link them to success or failure. Above that anyone with a basic understanding of statistics will tell you you can make the numbers say whatever you want and that's what happened. Companies wanted to expand marketing did "Research" into new client bases they could reach and the head of the companies believed marketing that woke was the way to go. Combine this with the woke being the loudest online and social media being one of the most prolific ways to get new clients and it comes together.

Sure to the CEO the new woke series isn't doing well but all the "Research" done by marketing and all the social media sites say it's doing amazing. They see interaction and think it means sales and more importantly for shows eyes for ads but they get fooled by a vocal minority that seems to control social media and most news sources. I'm just surprised they aren't trying to get hit pieces out about the toxic man babies running the plastic toy companies.

Last edited:

Miller

Say "no" to kikongo
kiwifarms.net
I was listening to Robert Meyer Burnett's livestream about Star Trek: The Beginning. I've never heard of it before but apparently it was originally a script for a movie that was commissioned after the end of Enterprise and would have been about the Romulan war. It was written by the guy who made Band of Brothers. It's a shame that Paramount decided to go with Bad Robot instead.

Last edited:

Flexo

Booze for every robot; a bullet for every human
kiwifarms.net
Ok. Joke a buddy sent to me. I laughed harder considering the discussion we had a few pages back.

Klingons: Okay we don’t get it

Vulcan Science Academy: Get what

Klingons: You Vulcans are a bunch of stuffy prisses but you’re also tougher, stronger, and smarter than Humans in every single way

Klingons: Why do you let them run your Federation

Vulcan Science Academy: Look

Vulcan Science Academy: This is a species where if you give them two warp cores they don’t do experiments on one and save the other for if the first one blows up

Vulcan Science Academy: This is a species where if you give them two warp cores, they will ask for a third one, immediately plug all three into each other, punch a hole into an alternate universe where humans subscribe to an even more destructive ideological system, fight everyone in it because they’re offended by that, steal their warp cores, plug those together, punch their way back here, then try to turn a nearby sun into a torus because that was what their initial scientific experiment was for and they didn’t want to waste a trip.

Vulcan Science Academy: They did that last week. We have the write-up right here. it’s getting published in about six hundred scientific journals across two hundred different disciplines because of how many established theories their ridiculous little expedition has just called into question. Also, they did turn that sun into a torus, and no one actually knows how.

Vulcan Science Academy: This is why we let them do whatever the hell they want.

Klingons: …. Can we be a part of your Federation

Dixieland Buckaroo

A 12-piece bucket o' trouble
kiwifarms.net
I was listening to Robert Meyer Burnett's livestream about Star Trek: The Beginning. I've never heard of it before but apparently it was originally a script for a movie that was commissioned after the end of Enterprise and would have been about the Romulan war. It was written by the guy who made Band of Brothers. It's a shame that Paramount decided to go with Bad Robot instead.

The referenced podcast is here:

It's interesting listen to Jendresen talk about his discovery of trek as he dove into the project. It definitely would have been better than Kelvin or Kurtzmann trek we ended up with. It's annoying to listen to RMB go on about how he has access to the script but the plebs can't see it.

Edit: also interesting that Jendresen loved the idea of working with a huge canon, rather than being constrained by it. Seems contrary to current trek runners and writers.

Last edited:

Harvey Danger

getting tired of this whole internet thing
kiwifarms.net
Ok. Joke a buddy sent to me. I laughed harder considering the discussion we had a few pages back.

Klingons: Okay we don’t get it

Vulcan Science Academy: Get what

Klingons: You Vulcans are a bunch of stuffy prisses but you’re also tougher, stronger, and smarter than Humans in every single way

Klingons: Why do you let them run your Federation

Vulcan Science Academy: Look

Vulcan Science Academy: This is a species where if you give them two warp cores they don’t do experiments on one and save the other for if the first one blows up

Vulcan Science Academy: This is a species where if you give them two warp cores, they will ask for a third one, immediately plug all three into each other, punch a hole into an alternate universe where humans subscribe to an even more destructive ideological system, fight everyone in it because they’re offended by that, steal their warp cores, plug those together, punch their way back here, then try to turn a nearby sun into a torus because that was what their initial scientific experiment was for and they didn’t want to waste a trip.

Vulcan Science Academy: They did that last week. We have the write-up right here. it’s getting published in about six hundred scientific journals across two hundred different disciplines because of how many established theories their ridiculous little expedition has just called into question. Also, they did turn that sun into a torus, and no one actually knows how.

Vulcan Science Academy: This is why we let them do whatever the hell they want.

Klingons: …. Can we be a part of your Federation
In a just universe, this would be a 2-part episode of Enterprise.

Tags
None