Star Trek - Space: The Final Frontier

Michael Wade

I love my insane psychotic psychic wife.
kiwifarms.net
By far the best Picard/Kirk crossover is the novel "Federation." It would have been a bitch to adapt to a movie, but if they had pulled it off, Generations would have been remembered in the same breath as Wrath of Khan.
Been a while, but despite contradicting first contact, Federation is pretty good.

I especially liked its take on Cochrane's past and what happened to him after his appearance in TOS. Gave me some good gundam vibes, but it's crossover element felt really lacking to me.

It's a fun read to see how both sides meet in the middle, but nobody from TOS and TNG really interacts aside from a brief engagement at the end.

Speaking of crossovers Ive read quite a few of the star trek ones.

First and formost there was the Q Conflict.

1620530737389.png

This was pretty dam fun. Im not going to tell you it was perfect, as Q was stacking the deck for Picard pretty hard and his motivations were a little all over the place. It could have been better if it had a more time to grow and explore character interactions, but it's good for what it is.

Although I did think Ds9 got the short end of the stick as its cast is Pre-badass season 3 and there's no Garrek, but its a fun little romp.

Then there was the Dr Who/Star Trek crossover.

1620531641563.png

I was surprised how good this was. I am not what you would consider a Dr Who fan, but at the time my friend was into it, so I got this. Even if your not a fan or barely know anything about the mythos it does a great job of catching you up to speed and sucking you into the Borg-Cybermen conflict at the heart of it.

There's an awesome cameo from
TOS
that put a big smile on my face. plus it explains where the borg got the idea to time travel, so its pretty cool.

Star trek- Green Lantarn
1620531676768.png

Better then it has any right to be, to the point that when the sequel series ended I was legit wanting to see more. Not a terribly big fan of JJ trek, but the D.C stuff was interesting.

Star trek- planet of the apes

1620531833466.png

Oh man this was great! The interactions with Kirk and Taylor were gold. The Klingon's arming apes with weaponry and using them to take over was fantastic.

The only thing that sucked for me was the ending
Earth still gets blown up anyway

There's a couple more ive read that are good, but ill leave it here for now.

Has anybody else done comprehensive postings on star trek comics like those in the star wars thread?

Attachments

• 1620531189033.png
    1620531189033.png
    978.5 KB · Views: 28

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Been a while, but despite contradicting first contact, Federation is pretty good.

I especially liked its take on Cochrane's past and what happened to him after his appearance in TOS. Gave me some good gundam vibes, but it's crossover element felt really lacking to me.

It's a fun read to see how both sides meet in the middle, but nobody from TOS and TNG really interacts aside from a brief engagement at the end.

Speaking of crossovers Ive read quite a few of the star trek ones.

First and formost there was the Q Conflict.

View attachment 2154619

This was pretty dam fun. Im not going to tell you it was perfect, as Q was stacking the deck for Picard pretty hard and his motivations were a little all over the place. It could have been better if it had a more time to grow and explore character interactions, but it's good for what it is.

Although I did think Ds9 got the short end of the stick as its cast is Pre-badass season 3 and there's no Garrek, but its a fun little romp.

View attachment 2154653

I was surprised how good this was. I am not what you would consider a Dr Who fan, but at the time my friend was into it, so I got this. Even if your not a fan or barely know anything about the mythos it does a great job of catching you up to speed and sucking you into the Borg-Cybermen conflict at the heart of it.

TOS
that put a big smile on my face. plus it explains where the borg got the idea to time travel, so its pretty cool.

Star trek- Green Lantarn
View attachment 2154654

Better then it has any right to be, to the point that when the sequel series ended I was legit wanting to see more. Not a terribly big fan of JJ trek, but the D.C stuff was interesting.

Star trek- planet of the apes

View attachment 2154669

Oh man this was great! The interactions with Kirk and Taylor were gold. The Klingon's arming apes with weaponry and using them to take over was fantastic.

The only thing that sucked for me was the ending
Earth still gets blown up anyway

There's a couple more ive read that are good, but ill leave it here for now.

Has anybody else done comprehensive postings on star trek comics like those in the star wars thread?
I recall those Trek / X-Men series were fun enough. It at least made good on the TOS/Early X-Men promise of DR MCCOY!

UnKillShredDur

Black Deaths Matter.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 2154653

TOS
I'm not usually a fan of spoilers, but this is an 8 year old comic mini series that most people here probably won't ever read if they haven't already. So I'm going to spoil.

The TOS part of this crossover (which I'll agree with you, was pretty good) is presented as a flashback where the 4th Doctor met with the TOS crew, set before the rest of the story where the 11th Doctor meets the TNG crew. It has an intentionally different art style from the rest of the series which I think was meant to look more dated than what they used for the rest, but I actually preferred that style. -_- Anyway, here's a highlight.
trekdw.png

Also, if we're talking about weird Trek crossovers, TOS also once crossed over with the XMen...
Star_trek_xmen_1.jpg

Unlike the Doctor Who/Trek crossover comics, I haven't actually read this one. I am however aware of a pretty funny panel which I will share here.
mccoy.jpg

It's funny because Bones and Beast both answer to the name "Doctor McCoy".

White Devil

Space Hate Crimes
kiwifarms.net
I'm not usually a fan of spoilers, but this is an 8 year old comic mini series that most people here probably won't ever read if they haven't already. So I'm going to spoil.

The TOS part of this crossover (which I'll agree with you, was pretty good) is presented as a flashback where the 4th Doctor met with the TOS crew, set before the rest of the story where the 11th Doctor meets the TNG crew. It has an intentionally different art style from the rest of the series which I think was meant to look more dated than what they used for the rest, but I actually preferred that style. -_- Anyway, here's a highlight.
View attachment 2154733

Also, if we're talking about weird Trek crossovers, TOS also once crossed over with the XMen...
View attachment 2154746

Unlike the Doctor Who/Trek crossover comics, I haven't actually read this one. I am however aware of a pretty funny panel which I will share here.
View attachment 2154780
It's funny because Bones and Beast both answer to the name "Doctor McCoy".
Beast's real name is Hank McCoy.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, secretary my ass. Uhura was fourth in the chain of command on the Enterprise.
This criticism never made any sense to me. Uhura is the communications Officer. which is pretty god damn important. She answers to and takes orders directly from the Captain and on rare occasions Spock, but only when Kirk gives him jurisdiction over something that requires him and Uhura to work together. Uhura's an extremely important member of the crew, and it actually takes a hell of a lot to get her to abandon her post too. Even as early as the fourth episode, The Naked Time, where most of the crew is going batshit Uhura is one of the officers who doesn't crack (there's a scene where she snaps at Kirk but its not the same.)

In addition this ignores the fact that Kirk already has a secretary in the form of Yeoman Rand. Honestly if anyone should be complaining about their role on the show being lackluster to begin with it should be Grace Lee Whitney. Uhura actually had a lot to do while Rand's role mostly consists of: being useless, having something bad happen to her (as early as goddamn Charlie X), crying a lot (though this does make sense with getting fucked up all the time), and most importantly occasionally handing Kirk a clipboard and then taking it from him when he's done.

To be fair you could have the best actors ever and I dont think it would have mattered for those shows. The characters in VOY and ENT are a huge step down from TNG and DS9. In addition a lot of them are just bland. Like I dont think I could tell you a single thing about that Asian chick from ENT and I have watched every episode of Star Trek. Her and the other crew except maybe the captain and the Vulcan are just boring. Not much for any actor to do in that situation. In ENT and Voyager it seems like they didn't give a lot of those characters anything to do.

I do agree though that they seem like low budget actors.
It betrays the fact that the network didn't have a lot of confidence in the shows in the first place, so they selected for mediocre TV actors who would be complacent and willing to sign on to stay with the show for season after season.

EDIT: WTF IS THIS SHIT ON MEMORY ALPHA?????
John de Lancie had a cameo in that atrocity called Lower Decks.
Having sat through the whole series I can say that Q appears for probably less than ten seconds in his one cameo. They sure as hell selected that image for meme value and nothing else. I thought Memory Alpha was above all that but, I guess I don't know why I did in the first place. Liscenced wikis are usually slaved to the will of the company.

Fixthe Fernback

kiwifarms.net
i have watched Voyager end to end three times and I just... I honestly don’t really care about almost all of the crew. This is my fundamental problem with enjoying it. The characterisation was just lacklustre. You couldn’t make a VOY equivalent to Picard because honestly, who really cares about what happened to most of them afterwards?
I felt the same way about Enterprise. I usually have a favorite character but I just didn't particularly like any character, they were all just meh.

JamesFargo

saying "Oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
I felt the same way about Enterprise. I usually have a favorite character but I just didn't particularly like any character, they were all just meh.
Phlox was okay. But fundamentally it was VOY with the ethnicities switched. Kim is a black helmsman. (Which I guess is a reference to Wesley.) Instead of a stuck-up Vulcan in charge of weapons, we have a stuck-up British guy. Uhura is now Asian. But she isn't needed in this new equation. Everyone on ENT understands and speaks perfect English, and Archer insists on speaking on everyone's behalf, so a translator is useless.

T'Pol is Seven, which honestly makes me a little nauseous, even now. All we got out of it was the infamous "Archer in T'Pol's boobs” moment.

UnKillShredDur

Black Deaths Matter.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, secretary my ass. Uhura was fourth in the chain of command on the Enterprise.

Also, time to tell the Martin Luther King story again: https://www.npr.org/2011/01/17/132942461/Star-Treks-Uhura-Reflects-On-MLK-Encounter?t=1620290448979
I definitely agree that Uhura is and especially was at the time an important character. Being a female black lead on a show airing in the 60's when that wasn't a thing that usually happened is obviously nothing to slouch at. And I've loved that MLK story ever since the first time I heard it over a decade ago... But I have to ask (and I'm not even necessarily saying that you're wrong,) Where are you getting Uhura being 4th in command on TOS from?

I'm embarrassed to admit that I do not actually know the exact chain of command for Kirk's Enterprise.

I always assumed it was Kirk> Spock> Bones> and then I have no clue, but in retrospect, that was literally just based on how they were billed in the opening.

I freely admit that it doesn't make sense for the ship's doctor to be third in command on the ship, and I don't offhand remember if he was ever treated as such, so I don't even know that...

I just googled it and it seems that I'm not the only one who doesn't know the TOS chain of command... It seems to be wonky as hell.

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
I always assumed it was Kirk> Spock> Bones> and then I have no clue, but in retrospect, that was literally just based on how they were billed in the opening.

I freely admit that it doesn't make sense for the ship's doctor to be third in command on the ship, and I don't offhand remember if he was ever treated as such, so I don't even know that...

I just googled it and it seems that I'm not the only one who doesn't know the TOS chain of command... It seems to be wonky as hell.
No, the second officer was Scotty. Uhura ended up fourth in TAS in The Lorelai Signal. McCoy was on the bridge to give advice, but he was never a line officer.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
Its stated epxlicitly like, once ever in TOS, but McCoy being involved as he is on the Enterprise is apparently completely up to Kirk and is nowhere near the standard way things are done. I forget where it comes up in the show, but its mentioned at least once or twice I think.

Chain of command off the top of my head is Kirk -> Spock -> Scotty -> Sulu -> Uhura. I think whoever said she was fouth in command is mistaken, I'm pretty sure Sulu is always ahead of her.

I actually do agree with the point that Uhura's exact rank in the chain of command is unimportant, since she never actually takes command unless you count that one episode of TAS and the audience is unaware of it for the most part. I still think her character stands on her own merits though, bringing up the chain of command thing feels uneccesary to me.

Flexo

Don't blame me. I voted for HK-47.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I ran across someone on here the other day that's never seen Goodfellas, so now I just assume everyone else is an idiot that's never seen anything.
Seen clips myself but been able to watch the whole thing myself. But yes, the newborn are ignorant. It is up to society to instruct the young in culture. Though it's growing harder as many works get locked behind "exclusivity" on different platforms.

Oh hey it is on HBO max. I may correct that oversight myself this week.

YankeeTrader

I believe Brad Watson to be "a hack fraud"(47)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure this joker will ever bet thread worthy as he never engages with his detractors, but it's been fun watching him go around with his head up his own arse

1620574381038.png

His only claims to fame is being able to buy lots of costumes and proclaim he and Star Trek are commies

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
Not sure this joker will ever bet thread worthy as he never engages with his detractors, but it's been fun watching him go around with his head up his own arse

View attachment 2155612

His only claims to fame is being able to buy lots of costumes and proclaim he and Star Trek are commies
The official Trek website and Twitter gave this guy a platform.

Michael Wade

I love my insane psychotic psychic wife.
kiwifarms.net
I recall those Trek / X-Men series were fun enough. It at least made good on the TOS/Early X-Men promise of DR MCCOY!
Yes I remember I owned a copy of the first one. It was a fun, if rather absurd and lopsided crossover.

Most people hear about the TOS comic but there's also another comic and a full blown novel of all things on a TNG crossover.

1620573633103.png
1620573655681.png

Have not read either yet, but its really crazy how they did it. The comic actually leads into the novel and ties into the first xmen TOS comic. Heard it was really good.

Then there's Star trek Vs Transfomers.

1620574357520.png

It was pure genius the way they combined both the G1 and TOS animated series art styles. They did a bang up job.

1620574622763.png

I love how it turns out start trek has their own version of the transformers that just straight up left the earth after the events of first contact.

1620574725103.png

Kirk pilots a transformer copy of the enterprise.
1620574858258.png

Then at the very end the crew even get their own suits (briefly).
1620575006185.png

And starsceam tries to take over the Klingon empire. It's good shit.
1620575155781.png

Only negative I can think of, is that the new chick transformers feel very out of place design wise. Otherwise it gives everything you could want.

1620577290557.png

I think the only other cross company crossover left is TOS and the legion of superheros. Ill have to check that one out.

As far as crossovers within the franchise go. Im VERY fond of Q gambit

1620575699690.png

Now Im not terribly fond of JJ trek. im sure most people here are not either, but this isn't really a JJ trek story.

It's a DS9-Q story in disguise!

1620576043351.png

If you hated JJ Trek as much as I did at the time. you'll love this.

1620577113073.png

What starts out as Q dicking around in Nu trek for giggles becomes a dark future story that explores a Nu universe Ds9. A future where kirk dies, the federation lost a war against the Klingon's and everybody is currently being enslaved by the dominion. They completely and utterly steal the show from JJ Nu trek, to the point where Kirk even complains at the end that he didn't do anything worthwhile.

1620577905591.png
1620577930125.png

And of course the main villain is Gul Dukat. No subtlety or heroic quality's here unfortunately, just power mad madman time. It's still fucking beautiful.

1620578040322.png
1620578059791.png

Also it begins and ends with a nice little Picard-Q scene.

1620578374063.png

LET THEM DIE Q!

Really fantastic read. Probably gonna be better then all of the next Picard show unfortunately.

Attachments

• 1620577882312.png
    1620577882312.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 23

Chilson

kiwifarms.net

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 2155612

This is what happens when pseudo communists don't understand communism. Or Star Trek.

Communism doesn't go against wealth, but against PROPERTY and INDIVIDUALITY. Wealth is just a consequence of it owning property (money) and have more of it than others.

There is nothing in Star Trek world that indicates that they have got rid of property. As far as we know, anyone can build a palace and own it. Look at where Robert Picard lived with his family. It looks like a much bigger place than any other homes we've seen.And people still live in buildings and apartments. Nobody gives a damn.

1620582917030.png

To be honest, we don't know much about their economy except that they have now (somehow) infinite resources so nobody's lacking anymore. But that hasn't got rid of the sense of individuality people have. Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything. Nobody's forced to join Starfleet beyond your own parents. People have the same personal issues we all have right now: self doubt, insecurity, etc.

And we even have governments, something commies keep claiming shouldn't exist in a communism society. We really don't know how strict they are, but considering there are terrorist groups, there are some who disagree with what Starfleet and any ruling class are doing. People can go to jail for committing a crime, which is proof that independent thought it's still a thing.

It's very stupid to pretend ST is a communist society because you can't make that comparison with a society that doesn't have the same issues as we have. And even though they have solved poverty, people are still not equal. Kinda like the Scandinavian Paradox: women are very free there, but still make less than men and shit like that.