Star Trek -

UnKillFill

Sorry, I'm Hulk Hogan with noodles for Halloween
kiwifarms.net
Probably an unpopular opinion, but Star Trek Beyond is the best of the new movies.
I dont know about unpopular, but personally it's the one I remember the least about. (Which is odd as it's the one I saw most recently.)

I think most people say it's the least bad though.

• Agree
Reactions: Flexo

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
Beyond is far more of a Trek movie than the other two.

Sure they use rock n roll to win the day but let us not forget the hippie episode. Or the time they defeated a planet of robots by dancing (the genocidal bastards).

Plus as Chuck pointed out it ripped off a TOS episode...

• Thunk-Provoking
  • Agree
Reactions: millais and Tookie

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
God what a fucked up situation, getting your Exwife from the night after the first date AND your exwife now at the same time.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
6 episodes in DS9 and I'm really loving the season so far! All I can say is that Q is the biggest cockblocker for Bashir and that episode where everyone starts speaking in gibberish reminds me a lot of Space Station 13 where you can catch a virus just like that. Odo, is fantastic when he does detective work and Quark just wants those good ol shekels even if it means getting them in the face of potential armageddon. And whoever wrote Sisko should have gotten a raise for his creation, that guy is a badass.

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net
God what a fucked up situation, getting your Exwife from the night after the first date AND your exwife now at the same time.
I wasn't expecting an ending like that. The next episode is called "The Road not Taken" so I guess it's a Yesterday's Enterprise based on that ending.

Doc Cassidy

Notorious Bum Driller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
6 episodes in DS9 and I'm really loving the season so far! All I can say is that Q is the biggest cockblocker for Bashir and that episode where everyone starts speaking in gibberish reminds me a lot of Space Station 13 where you can catch a virus just like that. Odo, is fantastic when he does detective work and Quark just wants those good ol shekels even if it means getting them in the face of potential armageddon. And whoever wrote Sisko should have gotten a raise for his creation, that guy is a badass.
DS9 is great and unlike TNG the early episodes aren't bad but the show really takes off around the time Worf shows up. Then it turns into the best Trek show.

Prompt Critical

apropos-of-nothing
kiwifarms.net
DS9 is great and unlike TNG the early episodes aren't bad but the show really takes off around the time Worf shows up. Then it turns into the best Trek show.
Agreed that Deep Space 9 overall is the best Trek show.

The first two seasons of DS9 were in my opinion pretty rough, although you're right that it isn't quite as bad as early TNG. There's some really remarkably bad standalone episodes like "Move Along Home" and "If Wishes Were Horses" in S1, a lot of the sets/costumes/props look really cheap and dated in the same way as TNG, and certain main characters (Bashir, Kira, Dax especially) the showrunners really didn't seem to know what to do with. (I don't think they ever quite figured out how to handle Dax, but the writing for Bashir and especially Kira improves a lot in later seasons.) Still, if you are enjoying the show now, it only gets better from this point forward. I'd personally say it becomes consistently good starting with "The Jem'Hadar" the finale of Season 2.

Incidentally, despite my bagging on DS9 S1, "Duet" is easily one of my top five Trek episodes.

Doc Cassidy

Notorious Bum Driller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Agreed that Deep Space 9 overall is the best Trek show.

The first two seasons of DS9 were in my opinion pretty rough, although you're right that it isn't quite as bad as early TNG. There's some really remarkably bad standalone episodes like "Move Along Home" and "If Wishes Were Horses" in S1, a lot of the sets/costumes/props look really cheap and dated in the same way as TNG, and certain main characters (Bashir, Kira, Dax especially) the showrunners really didn't seem to know what to do with. (I don't think they ever quite figured out how to handle Dax, but the writing for Bashir and especially Kira improves a lot in later seasons.) Still, if you are enjoying the show now, it only gets better from this point forward. I'd personally say it becomes consistently good starting with "The Jem'Hadar" the finale of Season 2.

Incidentally, despite my bagging on DS9 S1, "Duet" is easily one of my top five Trek episodes.
The one with the space cripple really stands out to me as a bad episode.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay just finished watching episode 9 of DS9: Season 1 and I find it really hard to believe that Sisko would just let Quark and the guys who held them prisoner in a virtual game go, I'd have all of them in jail for what they just did, "it's just a prank bro!" isn't good enough for legitimately kidnapping a captain and his entire bridge crew just for teaching space Jew Quark a lesson, this episode was trash. Only good thing about this episode was Quark getting on his knees for his station's mercy.

UnKillFill

Sorry, I'm Hulk Hogan with noodles for Halloween
kiwifarms.net
Okay just finished watching episode 9 of DS9: Season 1 and I find it really hard to believe that Sisko would just let Quark and the guys who held them prisoner in a virtual game go, I'd have all of them in jail for what they just did, "it's just a prank bro!" isn't good enough for legitimately kidnapping a captain and his entire bridge crew just for teaching space Jew Quark a lesson, this episode was trash. Only good thing about this episode was Quark getting on his knees for his station's mercy.
Could be that they had some sort of diplomatic immunity. Being the Federation's first contact with people from the other side of the worm hole probably gave them some leeway another race might not have had.

Plus the Federation can be pussies sometimes. I bet Sisko would have pushed for punishing the main dude at least, but got told not to by his superiors. (Remember he's only a Commander so he doesn't have the kind of leeway a Captain or Admiral might.)

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is good for a chuckle. RLM did their review of Endgame and, of course, Mike points out how it blatantly stole from Star Trek. SPOILER ALERT FOR ENDGAME (both the new movie and the Voyager episode).
(8:20-12:20)
Mike must be getting senile. The actor signatures in the end credits immediately reminded me of the end of Star Trek VI, I was expecting him to point it out.

Last edited:

Doc Cassidy

Notorious Bum Driller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay just finished watching episode 9 of DS9: Season 1 and I find it really hard to believe that Sisko would just let Quark and the guys who held them prisoner go without jailing them.
Could be that they had some sort of diplomatic immunity. Being the Federation's first contact with people from the other side of the worm hole probably gave them some leeway another race might not have had.

Plus the Federation can be pussies sometimes. I bet Sisko would have pushed for punishing the main dude at least, but got told not to by his superiors. (Remember he's only a Commander so he doesn't have the kind of leeway a Captain or Admiral might.)
Nah, it was just bad writing. They handled Quark a lot better later on and somehow even ended up turning him into the show's moral center without changing his character at all.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino