Star Trek -

Titan Lithos

Classic Rock
kiwifarms.net
"Star Trek Picard", it's sounds so bland. Typical for Bad Robot, they play the nostalgia card.

I could be wrong but it looks like another variant of the STD uniforms.
The one on the right, more specifically. It looks like a Voyager variant.

Love Soze

kiwifarms.net
Nice to see those Voyager-era uniforms back. I guess the grey ones were only for war times? I was never up on that lore.

Preview and Voyager uniforms:

Last edited:

SkeletonBias420

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nice to see those Voyager-era uniforms back. I guess the grey ones were only for war times? I was never up on that lore.
There was never an in-universe reason for the gray uniforms, I don't believe they even commented on the switch when it happened on DS9. The real world reason was that they wanted to do a redesign of the TNG uniforms to make them more "cinematic" as they started doing movies. They created a variation of them for Generations that ended up looking like shit on camera and were uncomfortable for the actors so they had to raid DS9 for extra uniforms, which is why in Generations you'll notice half of the cast wearing the "color-on-top" version and the other half wearing the "color-on-bottom" version. Frakes ended up having to wear Avery Brooks' uniform in the movie which was way too small for him. I assume the gray ones came about in First Contact because they looked better in the darker lighting on the Enterprise-E, which also served the DS9 cinematography well.

Scrapped Generations uniform:
generations_uniform.jpg

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
Oh dear. I hate the collar. Why do they fuck everything up?

EDIT: And why the fuck is the rank over the chest? No bueno.
There's apparently some kind of rule in place that the ones making the shows, movies, etc have to have like... 20% variance in the visuals of the props, ships, etc from the originals.

Didn't we go into this earlier on the thread?
“Back in April of 2017 the task of the Enterprise making an appearance came to be and work was to start right away,” Eaves says. “The task started with the guideline that the Enterprise for Discovery had to be 25% different otherwise production would have most likely been able to use the original design from the 60's but that couldn't happen so we took Jefferies original concepts and with great care tried to be as faithful as possible. We had the advantage of a ten-year gap in Trek history to retro the ship a bit with elements that could be removed and replaced somewhere in the time frame of Discovery and the Original series.”

The “Jeffries” mentioned by Eaves is Matt Jeffries, the artist and designer who designed the original Enterprise. When asked about whether the 25 percent rule came from legal or creative, Schneider chimed in to say it was “legal” and Eaves expanded on that a bit (we’ve cleaned some spelling and grammar for clarity):

“After Enterprise, properties of Star Trek ownership changed hands and was divided, so what was able to cross TV shows up to that point changed and a lot of the crossover was no longer allowed,” Eaves says. “That is why when JJ [Abrams]'s movie came along everything had to be different. The alternate universe concept was what really made that movie happen in a way as to not cross the new boundaries and give Trek a new footing to continue.”

Oh wait, "no!" they claim that's not really the case... (rate me :optimistic: if you don't believe them)
In these comments from Eaves’ now-deleted Facebook post, it was implied that there were legal issues surrounding the use of the classic USS Enterprise design which dictated the changes seen in Star Trek: Discovery. These comments were picked up by some fans and a few press outlets, creating a bit of a controversy. However, the implication that there was some kind of legal requirement to change the USS Enterprise design didn’t seem to fit with what is known about CBS ownership of the Star Trek TV franchise.

Today CBS provided TrekMovie with the following statement to clarify the design decisions:

CBS TV Studios does, in fact, have the right to use the U.S.S. Enterprise ship design from the past TV series, and are not legally required to make changes. The changes in the ship design were creative ones, made to utilize 2018’s VFX technology.
The art that was used in the 2019 calendar is ‘concept art,’ which was completed long before the VFX process is completed.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Love Soze

Love Soze

kiwifarms.net
There's apparently some kind of rule in place that the ones making the shows, movies, etc have to have like... 20% variance in the visuals of the props, ships, etc from the originals.

Didn't we go into this earlier on the thread?
“Back in April of 2017 the task of the Enterprise making an appearance came to be and work was to start right away,” Eaves says. “The task started with the guideline that the Enterprise for Discovery had to be 25% different otherwise production would have most likely been able to use the original design from the 60's but that couldn't happen so we took Jefferies original concepts and with great care tried to be as faithful as possible. We had the advantage of a ten-year gap in Trek history to retro the ship a bit with elements that could be removed and replaced somewhere in the time frame of Discovery and the Original series.”

The “Jeffries” mentioned by Eaves is Matt Jeffries, the artist and designer who designed the original Enterprise. When asked about whether the 25 percent rule came from legal or creative, Schneider chimed in to say it was “legal” and Eaves expanded on that a bit (we’ve cleaned some spelling and grammar for clarity):

“After Enterprise, properties of Star Trek ownership changed hands and was divided, so what was able to cross TV shows up to that point changed and a lot of the crossover was no longer allowed,” Eaves says. “That is why when JJ [Abrams]'s movie came along everything had to be different. The alternate universe concept was what really made that movie happen in a way as to not cross the new boundaries and give Trek a new footing to continue.”

Oh wait, "no!" they claim that's not really the case... (rate me :optimistic: if you don't believe them)
In these comments from Eaves’ now-deleted Facebook post, it was implied that there were legal issues surrounding the use of the classic USS Enterprise design which dictated the changes seen in Star Trek: Discovery. These comments were picked up by some fans and a few press outlets, creating a bit of a controversy. However, the implication that there was some kind of legal requirement to change the USS Enterprise design didn’t seem to fit with what is known about CBS ownership of the Star Trek TV franchise.

Today CBS provided TrekMovie with the following statement to clarify the design decisions:
I've heard that rule with STD but I wasn't sure where this Picard series was in all that nonsense.

SkeletonBias420

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh dear. I hate the collar. Why do they fuck everything up?

EDIT: And why the fuck is the rank over the chest? No bueno.
That's where the rank pips were on the uniforms on Enterprise. The weird collar looks like they took it from the aborted Generations uniform I posted earlier.
Even if this is true, the uniforms were going to get overhauled no matter what. Starfleet likes to cycle uniforms even more than the US military so any show set after an 18 year time gap was going to have new uniforms.

• Agree
Reactions: Flexo

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
I've heard that rule with STD but I wasn't sure where this Picard series was in all that nonsense.
Conceptually under the same auspices since it's also with CBS.

Even if this is true, the uniforms were going to get overhauled no matter what. Starfleet likes to cycle uniforms even more than the US military so any show set after an 18 year time gap was going to have new uniforms.
Yeah but what's funny is the show has shown us what the uniform is supposed to be in 30 years. TWICE. Voyager's and TNG's finales both:

I'm not thrilled with those designs, but at least back then they respected continuity. It would be nice to see Picard's show give some kind of nod (maybe reveal the above uniforms are being phased out for the new ones).

• Agree
Reactions: SkeletonBias420
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino