Star Trek -

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
I'm not thrilled with those designs, but at least back then they respected continuity. It would be nice to see Picard's show give some kind of nod (maybe reveal the above uniforms are being phased out for the new ones).
thats just the uniform for elderly woman-

Reactions: millais

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
Don't make me fill this thread up with screenshots from all 3 shows (yes, the future uniform was in DS9 too)
okay its 2018 we cant make jokes about the elderly anymore.

Yes, maybe it's like the future Starfleet hospital gown for old people
they give them fake uniforms, just like we build fake bus stops infront of homes for the elderly now.

GrungyLawnChlorinate

confirmed hairless and stable
kiwifarms.net
Yep. Looks like the Voyager uniforms caught on "30 years later".
They look off somehow, like a little kid wearing daddy's sports jacket. At least they're not the shitty STD crap though! They really need to burn and bury all things STD.

Clearer view of the new uniform. Basically the early DS9/VOY uniform with a higher collar, more padding, and the trim tweaked a bit. I don't like it.
View attachment 763313
JFC, that's the most rétardéd Trek uniform take yet. Of course they manage to ruin it right off the bat, that was to be expected, but something as simple as the decent uniform should not be such a difficult task for them. He looks like an extra from the future times in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. He looks like a parody of "I am the captain now" guy designed to look like Charlie Brown. "I am the Captain Picard now."

bogus.jpg

Didn't we go into this earlier on the thread?
Yeah, they've slipped up multiple times and outed the real reasons why we can never have real Trek again: because they are legally required to fuck it up. They could take that and do something creatively awesome! But no, the people in charge of Trek and the people they hire are without fail the most incompetent and repugnant hacks in the business.

Star Trek: Picard, The Next Fanservice, is going to be shit no matter what. One singular actor cannot make up for poor lighting, poor writing, poor costumes, poor sets, poor direction, and poor casting. You can tell from that one image above with the shitty uniform that the casting is going to be poor; and from the STD garbage you can be guaranteed the lighting is going to be poor - those two qualities will ruin a production almost every time.

I only hope it succeeds so maybe DS9 can get the full bluray treatment. Other than polishing the classics, Trek is dead.

Last edited:

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Don't make me fill this thread up with screenshots from all 3 shows (yes, the future uniform was in DS9 too)
View attachment 763954
I could never figure out what was going on with the waistline on those. Were their pants hiked up to their chest or is the lower part of their shirt just the same color as the pants so they blend together?

vanilla_pepsi_head

Heavens to Spergatroyd!
kiwifarms.net
I've never watched Discovery, any opinions on if it's worth my time or not? I've heard it's bad but that's not an automatic dealbreaker for me, I can find entertainment in bad Trek (I'll still watch some of the most god-awful Voyager if it's on and find ST:V hysterical, found Enterprise alternately boring/cringey with a few decent episodes here and there, but I'm still pissed off about the $11 I spent to see whichever nuTrek movie had "Khan" in it). Discovery sounds ok based upon a quick skim of the Wikipedia page but that might not mean much. I guess what I'm asking is if it's entertaining-bad, just awful bad, or if everyone shitting on it is just expecting too much and/or being overly autistic about it?

Either way I've heard The Orville is decent and ST: Picard sounds virtually impossible to fuck up (yeah I know :optimistic:) so I've at least got more options than the novels for a change so that's cool.

• Feels
Reactions: ToroidalBoat

ToroidalBoat

spoopy slime kiwi tuber
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Either way I've heard The Orville is decent
Orville is pretty good. They have a diverse cast without even trying to go for the LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE angle.

My favorite episode so far is the one where they go to this planet that's like contemporary Earth, but with this upvote/downvote system like the "social credit" system of China.

Last edited:

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've never watched Discovery, any opinions on if it's worth my time or not? I've heard it's bad but that's not an automatic dealbreaker for me, I can find entertainment in bad Trek (I'll still watch some of the most god-awful Voyager if it's on and find ST:V hysterical, found Enterprise alternately boring/cringey with a few decent episodes here and there, but I'm still pissed off about the $11 I spent to see whichever nuTrek movie had "Khan" in it). Discovery sounds ok based upon a quick skim of the Wikipedia page but that might not mean much. I guess what I'm asking is if it's entertaining-bad, just awful bad, or if everyone shitting on it is just expecting too much and/or being overly autistic about it?
It's probably closest to your description of Enterprise. They kept switching writers and experimenting with different directions for the show so it's all over the place. There are a few OK episodes scattered in there, and Anson Mount and Saru are great, but there aren't really any outstanding episodes. The bad episodes unfortunately aren't funny-bad like Voyager had, but just kind of tedious and boring. On the other hand, people are super-autistic about hating on it and churning out a-loggy clickbait ranting about it so the hysterics should be taken with a grain of salt too.

Prompt Critical

apropos-of-nothing
kiwifarms.net
But yeah, it's a shame to see the old optimism for a bright future go.
I honestly believe part of the problem is that we've tumbled so far down the slippery slope since Star Trek started airing in 1969 that it's become extremely difficult for utopian techno-futurists to even guess the optimistic future direction they want.

In 1969, they put a black woman and a russian on the command crew of the fleet flagship, and while that was optimistic and novel, you could maybe extrapolate from current social trends it was going to happen like that eventually if everything worked out right. It at least seemed plausible.

In 2019, trying to extrapolate from current social trends gets you... what? I honestly can't even take a stab at where all this will go in a few centuries if it continues in current direction at current pace, and clearly neither can sci-fi authors, which is why shows like STD are basically just Current Year +4 In Space.

It's awful-bad with basically no redeeming qualities. Very much like what a fusion of JJ Abrams nu-Trek films (utter disrespect for established canon, over-reliance on bad special effects, miserable pacing, plots that don't hold up to even casual scrutiny, weird "everything must be 25% different" rule) and Enterprise (bad set and costume design, questionable casting choices, inconsistent writing) would look like, if it was written by Tumblr.

Either way I've heard The Orville is decent and ST: Picard sounds virtually impossible to fuck up (yeah I know :optimistic:) so I've at least got more options than the novels for a change so that's cool.
The Orville is... interesting. It's pretty clear the showrunner really just wanted to make a show that was Star Trek: The Next Generation without the IP license, but because he's known for "comedy" he was only able to get it greenlit by the studio by pitching it as a comedy. Because of that the first season is a little patchy with awkward thrown-in slapstick and joke-punchline setups. They've mostly moved away from that in the second season and it's now much closer to just being TNG with the serial numbers filed off (I consider that a good thing). It's better Star Trek than Star Trek has done since Deep Space 9 went off the air, and it's probably the best non-official Trek adaptation since Galaxy Quest. The casting is generally very good and it works quite well as a character-driven story of the week show.

ST: Picard (lol that name) does not fill me with optimism, since it seems to have almost all of the same danger signs that were present during the development of ST: Discovery.

Last edited:

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
In 2019, trying to extrapolate from current social trends gets you... what? I honestly can't even take a stab at where all this will go in a few centuries if it continues in current direction at current pace, and clearly neither can sci-fi authors, which is why shows like STD are basically just Current Year +4 In Space.
The most optimistic estimates are from posthumanists (who call themselves transhumanists) who literally hope for the end of the human race.

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The most optimistic estimates are from posthumanists (who call themselves transhumanists) who literally hope for the end of the human race.
I always thought the machines had a good thing going in The Matrix.

• Agree
Reactions: Flexo
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino