Star Wars Griefing Thread (Formerly about Last Jedi) - It's nothing like Empire... like.... at all, we promise

TrippinKahlua

From RC Enthusiast to T-Shirt Brand.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's been nearly half a decade since 2015. That was really when the revival started wasnt it?

As a kid I loved Star Wars. But A New Hope was the only one I saw. I finally saw the following 80s Films in the year 2000. I had a general idea of characters from them but didnt see either V or VI for full until then.

I saw Episode 1 and actually saw it during the five years my island had a cinema. Me, my sister and my father had a blast. It was incredible making the memory of seeing a brand new Star Wars movie with my family. My dad was big on 60s & 70s Space dramas, so he helped me learn of the Star Wars lore.

But when I got home after the amazing experience I just couldn't stop hearing people say how awful Phantom menace was. Too much CGI, Jar Jar Binks is stupid, etc.

I was living the life where a brand new Star Wars movie was coming out in my lifetime. And the world hated it. This was something that was supposed to happen. I always knew the first movies weren't the first stories. My dad even told me someday Episode 1 is coming as far back as 1991.

I expected to live that someday moment.

And the world ruined it for me when it did.

Now, its 2019. Still haven't seen anything from Force Awakens and up. Got no clue who Kylo Renn is, the name of the roly-poly droid, and I dont even keep track of the little side stories. Hans and Landos really felt 2 months apart.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If they wanted to build momentum for the film all they needed to do was have The Emperor be carted around in Disney World while fully in character and enduring all the popular tourist spots like having his photo taken on Splash Mountain.
UNLIMITED MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!

also reminds me of this bit from before smile and optimism was gone

Dr W

In the end, the living shall envy the dead.
kiwifarms.net
If they wanted to build momentum for the film all they needed to do was have The Emperor be carted around in Disney World while fully in character and enduring all the popular tourist spots like having his photo taken on Splash Mountain.
I think that would be absolutely hilarious. I mean, the Emperor put on a fake face for the public at large, but a good actor would be able to put on a smile while not so blatantly thinking "why can't I just electrocute everyone here?!"

Ghostse

Waffle SS Untermenchenfurher
kiwifarms.net
Given some of the rather strict, unusual, or questionable provisions in the contracts average people are asked to sign, it's not surprising that studious would be just as restrictive -- if not more-so -- with their actors and actresses.

With Disney acquiring so many other properties lately, it's practically reached the point they could have a de facto monopoly over both actors and intellectual property. So, as much an actor might like to tell Disney to go hug an ignited lightsaber, the truth is that non-Disney options for acting gigs are very limited at best. Worse, those companies probably would be strongly encouraged by Disney not to take on their "malcontents." So, these actors will go along with any restrictions on their contracts, no matter how draconian, because they don't want both their public and their private reputation to be anything less than that of the metaphorical team player who doesn't cause unnecessary drama or issues with their highers-up.
Usually you just sign an NDA and that's that. Disney is known for being touchy about their properties, engaging very nasty behavior to keep the squeaky clean image of their media output, so having additional riders about public appearances is very likely.

More on topic, it wouldn't be surprising if this panel was canceled if Sir Anthony Daniels inadvertently made or confirmed a leak. However, with the movie in re-shoots with stuff still in a potential state of flux, how hard must it be for our poor acting cast to keep everything straight? Ordinarily, I'd think Disney would want its SW cast promoting and touting the new film to drum up interest in it. The fact Disney doesn't want the film talked about much out of fear the seasoned members of its cast will leak major spoilers is rather peculiar.
Just speculating, but my guess is the reshoots are why they didn't want them going on stage. They seem to be making fairly large changes, so the only thing worse than the plot being leaked is an old plot being leaked.

Reactions: Kiwi Lime Pie

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
With Disney acquiring so many other properties lately, it's practically reached the point they could have a de facto monopoly over both actors and intellectual property. So, as much an actor might like to tell Disney to go hug an ignited lightsaber, the truth is that non-Disney options for acting gigs are very limited at best. Worse, those companies probably would be strongly encouraged by Disney not to take on their "malcontents." So, these actors will go along with any restrictions on their contracts, no matter how draconian, because they don't want both their public and their private reputation to be anything less than that of the metaphorical team player who doesn't cause unnecessary drama or issues with their highers-up.
With Disney being a rather sinister and dickish corporation, I wouldn't put it past them to bully other smaller studios around, threatening legal action over unrelated stuff.
"Oh, so you want to hire the actor/writer that told the press something we wanted to keep secret that got him on our shit-list? How peculiar... Hey! Remember that thing you did a few years ago and we very nearly sued you over it? And now you hire that guy. We didn't sue you back then, but we could still sue you now... or over something else with your next movie. Just sayin'..."

Did Disney think before
Let me stop you right there.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did Disney think before they block that panel with Ian McDiarmid and Hayden Christensen?
Pretty sure it was just a sad attempt at trying to boost interest via mystery and controversy or some dumb shit. Shame I still don't care, because this screams JarJar Abrams' approach and paying shills to screech fake news for him.

Godzilla@1989

DESTROY US ALL!
kiwifarms.net
Apparently George Lucas is rumored to be involved with reshoots, which are still happening.

According to entertainment journalist Art Tavana, Disney will be reshooting entire scenes and apparently, “things aren’t looking good” right now for the picture.

Art Tavana said:
I’m being told that Disney is reshooting scenes for Star Wars (don’t quote me). Things aren’t looking good. Too many variables and audiences to please. George Lucas as a creative consultant seems like a very likely occurrence—though there’s no telling how much say he’ll have.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Apparently George Lucas is rumored to be involved with reshoots, which are still happening.

According to entertainment journalist Art Tavana, Disney will be reshooting entire scenes and apparently, “things aren’t looking good” right now for the picture.

Oh good they brought back the guy who said a while ago that the Titanic should head north, I'm sure he'll rearrange the deck chairs in a way that changes things!

And holy shit they're _still_ doing reshoots? Aren't the old legends that Lucas finished the last reel of ANH as the first reel started rolling at the premier?

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reshoots are a pretty common thing in movie making, I guess... but is there any movie that was improved by widespread reshooting of stuff?
I'm thinking about what movies there are where reshoots improved the movie, but I can't really think of one. I can see movies being improved by little reshoots, but this seems much more excessive and Rogue One/Solo already showed us, that this hardly works with the current people behind SW.

With IX, I am absolutely expecting a complete mess of a movie. Instead of a vision that took shape in a movie, it'll be corporate commission-mandated scenes of " 'memba Star WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS?!" moments, interspersed with vain attempts to peddle their new characters as replacements.
I can't see how this movie can turn out as anything but an incoherent, disjointed, staggeringly poorly constructed mess of a movie. It'll be its own perfect microcosm of completely botched bullshit in a trilogy of incoherent, disjointed, staggeringly poorly constructed mess of movies.
I halfway expect them to release a movie with plotthreads that end up going nowhere, cause they messed up so much, they accidentally cut the payoff to certain setups. Or they straight away forgot to make those payoffs. Or they have payoffs to things that were never set up before.

In short, I expect another Suicide Squad/Batman v Superman... given that one of the guys working on this movie as a writer is the guy who already committed the crime of writing Batman v. Superman and Justice League, I think it's a safe bet.

Dr W

kiwifarms.net
Reshoots are a pretty common thing in movie making, I guess... but is there any movie that was improved by widespread reshooting of stuff?
I'm thinking about what movies there are where reshoots improved the movie, but I can't really think of one. I can see movies being improved by little reshoots, but this seems much more excessive and Rogue One/Solo already showed us, that this hardly works with the current people behind SW.

With IX, I am absolutely expecting a complete mess of a movie. Instead of a vision that took shape in a movie, it'll be corporate commission-mandated scenes of " 'memba Star WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS?!" moments, interspersed with vain attempts to peddle their new characters as replacements.
I can't see how this movie can turn out as anything but an incoherent, disjointed, staggeringly poorly constructed mess of a movie. It'll be its own perfect microcosm of completely botched bullshit in a trilogy of incoherent, disjointed, staggeringly poorly constructed mess of movies.
I halfway expect them to release a movie with plotthreads that end up going nowhere, cause they messed up so much, they accidentally cut the payoff to certain setups. Or they straight away forgot to make those payoffs. Or they have payoffs to things that were never set up before.

In short, I expect another Suicide Squad/Batman v Superman... given that one of the guys working on this movie as a writer is the guy who already committed the crime of writing Batman v. Superman and Justice League, I think it's a safe bet.
Jesus christ, it's going to be two and a half fucking hours of lens flares, member berries, and disjointed aping of the OT's conclusion, but with none of the emotional payoff of having seen Luke complete his journey. Rey has not changed at all and due to her nature as a perfect Mary Sue Snowflake, cannot improve in any way, shape, or form. There's nothing to celebrate when she inevitably defeats Kylo and the Emperor and the entire Dark Side of the Force in a stunning display... because we were here from the start. Nobody cheers at the start of a marathon, and yet, Rey is still sitting right where she started.

Dr W

kiwifarms.net
This movie has disaster written all over it.

Reshoots are common. That is true. BUT to be doing reshoots this extensive just a few months before the movie comes out is not a good sign.
I think Disney knows this. It might just be because I'm using an adblocker, but I have seen almost nothing of or about IX.
Hell, I still call it IX even though we know its title. Its stupid, grammatically incorrect memberberry title.

Godzilla@1989

DESTROY US ALL!
kiwifarms.net
My projections is that the movie will be a Justice League size disappointment both critically and commercially.

Übertroon

Gotta go fast
kiwifarms.net
Call me autistic, but one of the things that really bothered me with TFA was how JJ Abrams clearly pays no attention to how realistic world building would work. For example he has no idea how warfare works, and somehow the First Order is a sleeker and more powerful version of the Empire.
Which is a huge letdown, because we've already seen the powerful and sleek empire, rather than the coolness factor of an empire on the decline where the once pristine stormtroopers begin to each have their own history displayed on their uniform

1940vs1945.jpg

Godzilla@1989

DESTROY US ALL!
kiwifarms.net

Reshoots are common. That is true. BUT to be doing reshoots this extensive just a few months before the movie comes out is not a good sign.
This reminds of Heaven's Gate, a movie that had a troubled production and when it came out, it not only killed the New Hollywood era, killed Michael Cimino's career, but nearly sunk United Artists to the point they had to be sold to MGM in order to survive.

While IX won't kill Disney, it certainly would kill the franchise and tarnish Abrams' career.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The big thing that makes me think Episode IX is a shitshow is that they seem to be leaking for marketing purposes and allegedly have a variety of cuts for the movie that each takes the approach differently. That almost assuredly means the film will suck, since rather than have one last try and have a movie bound by a vision of some sort (lol JJ having vision), they have a cobbled together product they're trying to see will get the most bite.
I think Disney knows this. It might just be because I'm using an adblocker, but I have seen almost nothing of or about IX.
Hell, I still call it IX even though we know its title. Its stupid, grammatically incorrect memberberry title.
Oh, when their big trailer was outdone by the Joker of all people, and the clipshow they made nuked with dislikes, you know that they're not thinking this thing is salvageable.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
The big thing that makes me think Episode IX is a shitshow is that they seem to be leaking for marketing purposes and allegedly have a variety of cuts for the movie that each takes the approach differently. That almost assuredly means the film will suck, since rather than have one last try and have a movie bound by a vision of some sort (lol JJ having vision),
JJ has tons of vision, as long as someone else had it first.

they have a cobbled together product they're trying to see will get the most bite.

Oh, when their big trailer was outdone by the Joker of all people, and the clipshow they made nuked with dislikes, you know that they're not thinking this thing is salvageable.
I think the proof will be in the pudding, and by "pudding" I mean "marketing push." If they go balls-out with Star Wars branded everything in the months leading up to IX (if history repeats, it will kick into high gear around Halloween) then they still think they can save it. If the marketing is extremely muted or nonexistent (think Dark Phoenix or Fant4stic) then they're letting it die. I think the former is more likely, since an organization as bureaucratic as Disney allocates resources via internal politics as opposed to economics.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino