Star Wars Griefing Thread (Formerly about Last Jedi) - It's nothing like Empire... like.... at all, we promise

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slaying Anti-Lego Regiment
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Let me put a little fine point on what I was trying to say:
Ads, billboards, theaters pushing events and showings... professional advertising costs money. There's no big EPIX pro-media push, just a trailer, soy boys creaming themselves to the trailer, Rage Against the Machine's new hit "Shilling in the Name of!", and a spat of bean-flicking about Babu Frik (but no one stan babu for very long for some reason. Hmmm) because spending money will increase the amount of money EPIX needs to bring in to turn a profit.
Its almost as if they're....cutting their losses?
True dat. I've been traveling a lot this week and I haven't seen a single ad, billboard or poster for IX while TFA and TLJ had shit everywhere. Instead all I see is leftover shit from Far From Home, Avengers and Joker. There's Joker ads everywhere telling me to smile darn ya smile. Meanwhile I haven't seen IX merch in any store, Walmart, grocery store or super market. Only SW merch I've seen are Rey pez dispensers and Ziploc bags in two grocery stores. That's it. Seriously. There's nothing else. Only place I found any SW shit at all was at one Walmart Supercenter that had one small section in the toy aisle full of unsold re-released ROTJ "Vintage" merch. Also a bargain bin filled with TFA, Solo and TLJ blue rays and whatnot.
The Rey Pez shit doesn't even come in unique packaging like they did in TLJ.
1571774882710.jpeg

Its the same generic wrapper as everything else. In fact, I'm pretty sure these are leftovers from TLJ.
1571774926136.jpeg

The only difference is there are no Porg, BB-8 or Vader pez. Just Rey.

Edit: ... Wait... Do pez come out of the Porg's ass?!

Ghostse

Waffle SS Untermenchenfurher
kiwifarms.net
HOW THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT LEAKING SO EASILY?!
We have someone with a soul on the inside, perhaps.
Not everyone has drunk the soy. Lots of rank and file at LFL wanted to work on Star Wars and not nuWars, and aren't happy about the way the mouse is destroying what they love and often grew up loving. Some of the more machiavellian may be unhappy about being passed over in favor of screeching outsiders who have an active hate for the franchise. But after TLJ they have learned they aren't alone, they have people who will use the ammunition they are leaking out; if they do get Bothan'd, it won't be for nothing. Kennedy is not popular with anyone outside of her inner circle. She is bleeding, and this is the chance to push her out, or least salvage some pride; "I told them this was a bad idea, they didn't listen, so best do my part to make sure this goes as wrong as possible so the fans won't let this happen again".

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
'Kay I haven't been keeping tabs on the thread here so I'm missing out on a lot of stuff (and I'm going to be reading through to hopefully catch up in time to witness the heat death of the franchise in present time), but I just came in here to make a mark that last night was the night in which my dad officially admitted he's no longer as big of a fan as he used to be. He still likes Star Wars and what it stands for (he mentioned that The Mandalorian looks interesting except it's Disney Plus exclusive and he thinks it can work just fine as a movie--that's basically what became of the Boba Fett movie, right?), but he can't bring himself to like what's become of it and it may have tainted his view of his favorite franchise.

But he still watched the final trailer and I believe he still feels like he's obligated to take his nephew to see it before his jackass of a dad does, but he's not excited for it. He's not happy about it anymore. He's trying to move on, but he can't escape this zombie franchise that exists to mock that what made the franchise so beloved.

And to think, it was only like two years ago when he was sperging to me about one of the books that covered Han Solo's backstory in how he spent a good six months or so in a prison cell with Chewbacca and learned the language in that time period, and that there was another book that had a survival horror theme to it because of zombie viruses or something. I never caught the title of the book, and it was just before Solo came out and he was just happy to talk about Star Wars with his kid even though his morale on the series had taken a serious beating from The Last Jedi yet still remained somewhat optimistic. It's the same way with the Marvel movies, but Star Wars was more important to him, and he has to suffer with everyone else for the simple fact that the majority of fans who enjoyed those properties are fucking white maaaaales and need to be punished.

Going Old Yeller on this franchise isn't going to turn back the clock and make my dad, nor anyone else and their dads, become the giddy, lovable nerd of yesteryear again short of building a time machine to spare Star Wars from the bullshit knowing what we know now.

Last edited:

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For people doing their profitiability calculations:
1) The short hand is double the budget. Films with big hype machines are closer triple; I haven't been seeing a lot of hype for TLJ, with Disney seeming relying on a lot of "grass roots" "organic" hype. Think about that.
2) Stop repeating the 75% reshoots lie or I will start tweeting Cuck Wendig about your favorite un-killed, un-blacked character so Disney will ruin them. The could not have reshot 75% of the movie, the only movie that could maybe, MAYBE have been reshot in 3 months would be a pure green-screen film like Sky Captain. (Insert jokes about the level of modern CGI). Assuming 75% of the film is being altered, I would expect no more than 10-20 million extra budget at the high end.
(unless disney bucks my predictions, and takes a knee and a write off on EPIX, in which case expect them to tack on as many costs as they possiblycan).
2a) Even pretending that they reshoot 75% of the movie, 75% reshoots does not mean 75% increase in budget. They are likely not re-doing any large practical effects, and most contracts have provisions requiring actors to participate in reshoots either free or at a pre-negotiated per-diem rate. A large chunk of a movie budget is salaries for cast and high-level crew which includes bonus and incentives, fees that won't be duplicated when you have to do reshoots.
The only extra cost would be any hourly studio crew, and that might not be a direct extra cost because the studios usually have a surplus labor pool on-site and on-hand, sometimes doing busy work, to cover this sort of thing.

This means they are worried. Presales help build hype but also lets disney (essentially) launder tickets since presales aren't obligated to show up, and could be buying tickets with discount codes or otherwise getting refunded for purchase.

Still saying 1B box office, under a million by february.
It's actually triple the budget. Bruce Campbell confirmed that for Army of Darkness and why it bombed.

AGreatDipAtAFairPrice

kiwifarms.net
The one thing they haven't done yet, their one saving grace, is that from the Original Trilogy onwards, Palpatine was badass. Yeah, he did a bunch of dumb stuff in books and comic books, but nobody took a shit on Palpatine when it mattered. Not even the prequels wrecked him, if anything, they elevated him. He was the real star of the show there. Palpatine is the franchise's last unmarred Original Gangster and this movie's main hook appears to be Star Wars Episode 9: The One Where We Shit On Emperor Palpatine.

Good luck with that.

Dr W

I have no mouth and I must scream
kiwifarms.net
'Kay I haven't been keeping tabs on the thread here so I'm missing out on a lot of stuff (and I'm going to be reading through to hopefully catch up in time to witness the heat death of the franchise in present time), but I just came in here to make a mark that last night was the night in which my dad officially admitted he's no longer as big of a fan as he used to be. He still likes Star Wars and what it stands for (he mentioned that The Mandalorian looks interesting except it's Disney Plus exclusive and he thinks it can work just fine as a movie--that's basically what became of the Boba Fett movie, right?), but he can't bring himself to like what's become of it and it may have tainted his view of his favorite franchise.

But he still watched the final trailer and I believe he still feels like he's obligated to take his nephew to see it before his jackass of a dad does, but he's not excited for it. He's not happy about it anymore. He's trying to move on, but he can't escape this zombie franchise that exists to mock that what made the franchise so beloved.

And to think, it was only like two years ago when he was sperging to me about one of the books that covered Han Solo's backstory in how he spent a good six months or so in a prison cell with Chewbacca and learned the language in that time period, and that there was another book that had a survival horror theme to it because of zombie viruses or something. I never caught the title of the book, and it was just before Solo came out and he was just happy to talk about Star Wars with his kid even though his morale on the series had taken a serious beating from The Last Jedi yet still remained somewhat optimistic. It's the same way with the Marvel movies, but Star Wars was more important to him, and he has to suffer with everyone else for the simple fact that the majority of fans who enjoyed those properties are fucking white maaaaales and need to be punished.

Going Old Yeller on this franchise isn't going to turn back the clock and make my dad, nor anyone else and their dads, become the giddy, lovable nerd of yesteryear again short of building a time machine to spare Star Wars from the bullshit knowing what we know now.
Go to page 709, get the leaks, and tell your father what is contained.
Save him. Tell him that it's over, and that denial only extends the grieving process.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Depending on how your father reacts, maybe you should tell him there's rumors that Rey is now capable of teleporting lightsabres across the galaxy and she's also the granddaughter of Palpatine.
Oh, and Rey can disable an entire fleet of literally hundreds of Star Destroyers with Force Lightning.
Edit: Also Rey apparently consumes the souls of all dead Jedi to power up for that stunt.

The one thing they haven't done yet, their one saving grace, is that from the Original Trilogy onwards, Palpatine was badass. Yeah, he did a bunch of dumb stuff in books and comic books, but nobody took a shit on Palpatine when it mattered. Not even the prequels wrecked him, if anything, they elevated him. He was the real star of the show there. Palpatine is the franchise's last unmarred Original Gangster and this movie's main hook appears to be Star Wars Episode 9: The One Where We Shit On Emperor Palpatine.

Good luck with that.
He's not been ruined yet. Yet. Such a terrible word.

The handsome tard

So I scoop out his eyeballs with the spoon...
kiwifarms.net
I can understand the risk aversion mentality.

Look at what happened with Iron Man 3. People say the Marvel movies don't take risks and I point to that one and go "They took a risk with the Mandarin twist and the nerds collectively lost their goddamn minds" which interestingly, I think the twist happened because they wanted to avoid accusations of racism with the Mandarin character. They risk averted themselves right into a shitstorm anyway!

Personally, I thought the twist was interesting, though it needed something to compensate for it to make it fully work. Guy Pierce being the bad guy when I already knew he was the bad guy isn't quite enough to make up for it.
To be honest, Iron Man 3 could have been the easily best of the trilogy since it psychologically explores Tony Stark's character and PTSD the most., but the problem was that the TWIST ITSELF wasnt well made. Risks are that, risks, but calculated planned risks are much better than just "meh, lets do this because it will catch them offguard" (which seems to be what Rian Jarhead Johnson loves to do).

Tho it makes me wonder if they will still have the mandarin now that Tony is gone (now sure, they could always bring him back when they get despered but still), they hinted that that real REAL Mandarin is still around...so is he going to be a villain to who? The only one that makes thematical sense is Spiderman but he aint staying for long (for the better I say).

Ghostse

Waffle SS Untermenchenfurher
kiwifarms.net
It's actually triple the budget. Bruce Campbell confirmed that for Army of Darkness and why it bombed.
AoD had its own issues w/r/t financing, budget overruns, and time spent in post-production hell which is what killed its profitability. I think there was also shit about the distribution deal that saw less money coming back to the production from the theaters but I might be getting that confused with another film.

A normal main studio release film with no drama that is completed on time and reasonably on budget is still just about double unless there is a marketing push. One of the things that killed Solo to the point of tanking the other side projects was the marketing, where the speculation I saw was it needed 2.5-3x to make it to the black.

edit:
To be honest, Iron Man 3 could have been the easily best of the trilogy since it psychologically explores Tony Stark's character and PTSD the most., but the problem was that the TWIST ITSELF wasnt well made. Risks are that, risks, but calculated planned risks are much better than just "meh, lets do this because it will catch them offguard" (which seems to be what Rian Jarhead Johnson loves to do).

Tho it makes me wonder if they will still have the mandarin now that Tony is gone (now sure, they could always bring him back when they get despered but still), they hinted that that real REAL Mandarin is still around...so is he going to be a villain to who? The only one that makes thematical sense is Spiderman but he aint staying for long (for the better I say).
I thought the Mandarin being fake was a good twist and decent commentary about media control and boogeymen. (It was an obvious knock at the pre-iraq invasion intelligence, but man did that end up being relevant). It was a sort of cowardly side-step around a Chinaman as the main evil guy, but I respected they at least DID something with it (even if thye made the MANDARIN a white arab guy) instead of just a melanin swap. The man issue I had with IM3 was the poorly implemented excuse for Tony be building things....IN A SHED! WITH SCRAPS!

Last edited:

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:

Tsusaba109

kiwifarms.net
Hmm I'm not sure if that Emperor picture is real. Wasn't he in a black outfit hooked on life support in the trailer?

The spoilers I see all say Kylo dies by being thrown in a pit. How does he "rise" again? Is that what is being hidden?
The Skywalker that's rising is Rey because even if she's a descendant of Palpatine she takes the name Skywalker at the end of the movie

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino