Star Wars Griefing Thread (Formerly about Last Jedi) - It's nothing like Empire... like.... at all, we promise

Dr W

I have no mouth and I must scream
kiwifarms.net
Has the test screenings been negative?
Yes, it's gone over as saying scores are as follows (I don't know what these scores mean, I am repeating Doomcock verbatim)
Audience comp: 1/4 Star Wars nuts, 1/4 Star wars fans, 1/4 normies, 1/4 kids.
Act 1: 65
Act 2: 12
Act 3: 4
Aggregate audience score: 29
Rey kicks the shit out of the Emperor (which I fucking called.)
This was the first variant, "JJ/KK Variant"
Second Variant: "Iger Variant" = "65" (not specified). Anakin and Luke come back.
Third variant: "Lucas" variant
Score = "88", "Secret Skywalker" introduced. Rey(?).
75% rumor is somewhat mixed. 25% of each variant has been redone. Audiences and act scores not specified for second and third screening.
Estimated cost for all the reshoots: 300 million dollars
Lucas came back. He'll be ignored.

Doomcock believes Kennedy might resign or be fired. Exogol has basically been confirmed at this point. @PseudoScrooge @GeneralFriendliness

Last edited:

Based_Papa_John

Better ingredients. Better pizza.
kiwifarms.net
Yes, it's gone over as saying scores are as follows (I don't know what these scores mean, I am repeating Doomcock verbatim)
Audience comp: 1/4 Star Wars nuts, 1/4 Star wars fans, 1/4 normies, 1/4 kids.
Act 1: 65
Act 2: 12
Act 3: 4
Aggregate audience score: 29
Rey kicks the shit out of the Emperor (which I fucking called.)
This was the first variant, "JJ/KK Variant"
Second Variant: "Iger Variant" = "65" (not specified). Anakin and Luke come back.
Third variant: "Lucas" variant
Score = "88", "Secret Skywalker" introduced. Rey(?).
75% rumor is somewhat mixed. 25% of each variant has been redone. Audiences and act scores not specified for second and third screening.
Estimated cost for all the reshoots: 300 million dollars
Lucas came back. He'll be ignored.

Doomcock believes Kennedy might resign or be fired. Exogol has basically been confirmed at this point. @PseudoScrooge @GeneralFriendliness
None of this surprises me. Again, we don't know if its true, but it's looking increasingly likely that DvD/WCB/GnG/Nerdrotic are right in how bad things really are behind the scenes. It seems that Disney is trying to prepare audiences for disappointment and the inevitable hiatus that is coming just based on how bad Plan IX is going to be.

Even if Plan IX were a smashing critical success and got a record number of butts in seats, I'm trying to figure out how they could ever recoup all the money that they are squandering on reshoots. Something similar happened to Solo. The Mouse keeps digging itself into deeper and deeper wholes. By the time its all said and done, Michael Eisner's time will look like a golden age compared to the shape Disney will be in once Iger leaves.

SuperSheep

75 Points of Flying Fluffy Damage
kiwifarms.net
And since we're at it:
If anything, Poe should have been demoted or incarcerated for committing a war crime by pretending to initiate diplomatic talks with Hux while preparing an attack.
Hux ordered the destruction of 5 major civilian centers. I'm pretty sure the Laws of War have been suspended by that point, assuming they ever existed in any comparable form in that era of Star Wars.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am growing increasingly worried.
This clusterfuck sounds way too good to be true. They can't have fucked up IX this badly, did they?
The leaks are horrifying. And now we learn this movie is even worse than that?

My biggest fear about this movie is that it comes out and it's some boring middle of the road kind of thing, where they just allow the trilogy to pilfer out on an absolutely boring and underwhelming note.

I ordered the full programm and the full programm has been promised. I want fire and brimstone raining down on Disney.

Hux ordered the destruction of 5 major civilian centers. I'm pretty sure the Laws of War have been suspended by that point, assuming they ever existed in any comparable form in that era of Star Wars.
I see your point and it is a good point. For one thing, the FO has blown up not 1 but 5 planets, which killed enough people that it might be measured in trillions. And it goes without saying, the Geneva Convention doesn't apply to the galaxy far, far away.

But here's the thing:
In the old movies, Luke discards his light sabre instead of striking down Palpatine or his father. It is a clear victory of virtue over evil. The protagonists should be heroic and do "the right thing", even in the face of literally unrelenting evil.
On the other hand, "the right thing" is based on our morals and ethics. Sure, you could say they have different morals in Star Wars, but pragmatically speaking, since it is a story, it is inevitably going to be based on our understanding of what is right and wrong.

And here's the deal: Sending a detachement that pretends to be on a diplomatic mission, claims diplomatic immunity to negotiate with someone, just so that detachment can then use that diplomatic immunity as a cloaking mechanism and surprise attack the enemy is one of the worst things that anyone can do in a war. It is pretty much only outclassed by a holocaust-style genocide. This has to be something that is true for all halfway civilized people, since the ability to have negotiations, to have diplomatic immunity, is absolutely necessary. It is in no one's interest to abuse this basic rule, since it takes away your ability to ever negotiate again with anyone.
If you're the guy that will pretend to talk things through before suckerpunching your enemy, no one will ever stop pounding your face into the dirt, no matter how often you beg for mercy. And they'd be justified in doing so. That's why pretending to be on a diplomatic mission is inevitably a dick move by Poe.

Again: The argument that the Resistance does not have to play by the rules since the First Order does not play by the rules either does make sense... but the Resistance are the good guys, they have to embody certain virtues and values to be the good guys and pretending to have a desire for negotiations is not a trivial matter.

And before a certain someone tries to pretend that this somehow ties into Ruins atrocious plot about "Hurr good and evil are just words!" - Ruin is evidently not smart enough to make Poe a war criminal on purpose to highlight that "the good guys do evil stuff too", he thought that was a funny little scene to make Poe look amazing. Just like the Light Sabre Toss from Luke. It's just this whacky idea that Ruin had for a scene, so he did it. There is no deepering meaning to it as far as he's concerned.

Of course, I'm reading way too much into this scene myself here for the sake of a joke, I'm not saying Poe should have been tried as a war criminal and I don't think that within the context of such a movie, you have to be a legal hardass over this issue, since logic does take a backseat to the narrative (though even just saying that last part is hanging the bar very low for TLJ, tbh). It's just really funny to point out to the audience:
According to international law, the good guys committed a major war crime in the first 2 minutes of TLJ. That is fucking hilarious.

Then again, TLJ might have been more entertaining as a courtroom drama, where Poe is tried by Judge Holdo and Finn has to act as his whacky attorney.
I mean, it couldn't have been worse than Canto Bight.

Last edited:

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
kiwifarms.net
Has there been a single movie that cost 300 million + that was profitable and didn't just hit a break even point? I can only think of Infinity War and End Game if you count them as one epic movie.
Titanic cost $200 million at the time, and was retooled multiple times (from action movie to action/romance; moved from a summer blockbuster release date to a Christmas date). Of course, it had to become the most successful movie of all time to turn a healthy profit, so maybe not the best example.

Also, say what you will about it, the sinking of the ship is one of the most spectacular sequences ever committed to film.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Titanic cost $200 million at the time, and was retooled multiple times (from action movie to action/romance; moved from a summer blockbuster release date to a Christmas date). Of course, it had to become the most successful movie of all time to turn a healthy profit, so maybe not the best example.

Also, say what you will about it, the sinking of the ship is one of the most spectacular sequences ever committed to film.
Honestly, I just mainly remember this.

Dom Cruise

too... many... books...
kiwifarms.net
because whatever you might think about the last isekai or harem rehash, for the most part it comes from a single author or mangaka who just wants to do a good story and isn't trying to sell a product to 20 different cultures with different values to maximize profits.
Exactly, even when an anime or manga is formulaic, they're still more often than not good natured enough that you're entertained, SJW media on the other hand is so mean spirited it sucks any potential fun out of anything.

Manwithn0n0men

kiwifarms.net
Some more rumors straight from the Overlords mouth:

According to him, the reshoots might have cost 300 million dollars, that can't be true.
But if the budget is ballooning out of control, I could imagine that being the reason they shitcan all further Star Wars movie plans.
Also... a surprise Skywalker popping out of nowhere... that would be amazing, if it was some asshole that suddenly outshone Rey at the last minute.
Yeah I just finished watching this video....Hollyshit this sounds like we are going to wish the leak actually happened now. And it makes sense all the PRO-JJ Abrahms leaks
Yeah. And then you add in your own capacity for rational thought, disregard the nonsense that the movie is trying to peddle and you will see:
Don't misunderstand me. I am not saying the movie is RIGHT with what it is asserting. I am saying to read the movie as a text you need to look at what its asserting in its own language and address that. And address "Ok if Poe is wrong in the moral language your using movie then what does that mean elsewhere?" That tells you alot about the themes, plot, messages, etc of the film

The characters are lying when they say Poe made a tactical failure. Whether the music score underlines the characters attitude is irrelevant when we see a giant fucking spaceship blow up thanks to Poe's decision. I'm not talking about a mood that is set up by light or sound, I am talking about hard, cold facts.
The movie is trying to present the facts to an alternative narrative [the war is wrong period]

Within the capabilities depicted in the movie itself. I don't see why you feel a need to abstract it down as if that somehow changed anything about this.
Nothing really makes super sense in these movies Military Strategy wise.....thats why George never focused on it.

Supposedly, this movie is about how the MCI keeps the conflict going to sell their stuff. If that is the case (it being an absolutely moronic idea aside), the movie is not being successful with that. Mauler went into detail about it, you might wanna check out his video.
Essentially, the Star Wars MCI really dropped the ball with "keeping the war running" when Palpatine ruled for a couple decades and the war was essentially stalled.
And again, when the New Republic ruled, and war was stalled to such a monumentous degree that the New Republic abolished their own military.
What were they doing before the Clone Wars, anyway? Canonically, that was a period of 1000 years of peace.
Gee.
:thinking:
Look....I am not saying its not stupid. I am saying this is what the movie is actually saying. Because the movie is written by some one who doesnt believe Plot or Characters should drive a story. So a Plot or Character driven analysis will miss the mark.
The movie really isn't about the MCI keeping the war running, that is not what is happening in Canto Bight and it is nothing that has ever applied to Star Wars in any way. The scenes in Canto Bight show weapon-makers profiteering from the war... To my knowledge, the movie does not say what influence they have on the war outside of being assholes that sell their stuff to both sides whenever they can. The point that DJ is making is some dollar-store platitude about how good and evil are just words and the truth is that assholes play both sides to make money and that also sets up his own arc of being an asshole that plays both sides to make money (well, unless you realize he was willing to work for the Resistance for free so fuck if I know what DJ's up to).
Again you are assuming the plot is crucial to the story. The Director and Co-Creator of the Script [Rian Johnson] doesnt work that way
Also, your point is -and I say this with all due respect to you as a person- horrendeously moronic. So what is the big choice the protaginists have?
Just let themselves get killed so they don't perpetuate this MCI-driven conflict (that somehow stopped for several decades at a time and most recently lead to one major side scrapping 90% of their army)?
Watch a Rian Johnson movie. His characters barely ever have choices that drive the plot. The plot just happens to them
You are reading a lot into Ruin's silly "RICH PEOPLE BAD - ALSO BUY OUR MERCH, YOU FILTHY PEASANTS!" schlock.
This whole profiteering and anti-capitalism nonsense is just added to the plot so Ruin can gather some faux-commie brownie-points with his fellow rich Hollywood elites.
It is poorly written, ties not at all into the general plot of this entire franchise and distracts from the actual plot of the movie, which incidentally IS about evil fighting good. That is what TFA is all about, it is what IX will be all about and TLJ's failed attempt at shoehorning in this monumentally stupid baggage is never going to be adressed ever again in the movies.
yes thankfully less dumb people took charge

Which is highly illogical. Assuming that no one remembers that base as well as apparently no one from the FO remembering that base makes no sense.
Neither should Leia assume that that base has been forgotten, nor should it actually be forgotten.
As I said, the plan to go there is shit and hinges on absolutely illogical assumptions.
If anything, the First Order should have prepared to blow up that base, just as a matter of principle and on the off chance, that there's still someone there.
Rods from Above kills most Space War Sci-fi for me

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
If one of you your top subordinates act out you do this

Remember when writing fiction involved having actual characters with personalities, objectives, motives, desires, likes and dislikes, who acted in conformity with those personalities, which also developed in response to events as they grew and learned things?

Now it's "what's his personality?" "He's gay!" "But what does he like, what are his motivations?" "He's gay!"

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slaying Anti-Lego Regiment
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If they wanted Leia so much in episode IX they could have just hired another actress. Harry Potter and Matrix survived fine doing that, who cares exactly?
Personally bringing her back at all seems incredibly disrespectful to her passing, especially by using a virtual zombie to "resurrect" her. But if they were going to bring her back at all, they should've at least used an actress with a digitally altered face or a lookalike. But my guess as to why they didn't just go the more reasonable route and find a successor is that they either probably fear backlash from those who believe actors can never be replaced (despite that their very nature as performers should allow room for successors that can honor their predecessors) while also being seen as disrespecting Carrie Fisher (even though TFA was already a huge disrespect to her character's past achievements while TLJ was a disrespect to both her character and her actual personage), OR its Disney-Lucasfilm's usual superficiality working at full force where they believe anything in SW is defined solely by visuals and OT + Aladdin Rebels references, so having to recreate Carrie via digital necromancy to ensure a perfect visual match is achieved is a must for them. I should also note that I really hate this trend of using the images of the deceased for digital zombie puppetry. They should've just done what ROTS did and hire a lookalike like they did with Tarkin. Overall, letting her survive in TLJ was a mistake, and they had time to change it but didn't because its not what Kennedy desired. Leia had to become the true and only star. Now we get this huge insult to Fisher via this uncanny valley zombie.

Dom Cruise

too... many... books...
kiwifarms.net
Remember when writing fiction involved having actual characters with personalities, objectives, motives, desires, likes and dislikes, who acted in conformity with those personalities, which also developed in response to events as they grew and learned things?

Now it's "what's his personality?" "He's gay!" "But what does he like, what are his motivations?" "He's gay!"
Or "They're brown"

Uranus Pink

kiwifarms.net
They should've just done what ROTS did and hire a lookalike like they did with Tarkin. Overall, letting her survive in TLJ was a mistake, and they had time to change it but didn't because its not what Kennedy desired. Leia had to become the true and only star. Now we get this huge insult to Fisher via this uncanny valley zombie.
ROTS Tarkin was played by Wayne Pygram better known as Scorpius in Farscape.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino