Star Wars Griefing Thread (RISE OF THE SKYWALKER SPOILERS) - Safety off

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

BipolarPon

Sad Cyborg.
kiwifarms.net
Rise of Skywalker has three nominations for the Oscars: Visuals, Score, and Sound Editing.

Regarding cast and crew from the What If Trilogy, Rian Johnson got a Best Original Screenplay nomination for Knives Out and Adam Driver got nominated in the Best Actor category for Marriage Story.
You know what, I want them to win an oscar in Sound editing, the sound has been consistently good, and the only thing that makes it feel like a star wars film. The score for the nu-trilogy has been somewhat lacking. Yeah I just want David accord and Matthew Wood get more recongnition for there work, but most people don't even watch the elite circlejerking award show anyway.

Reactions: GeneralFriendliness

Elwood P. Dowd

Gone Daddy Gone
kiwifarms.net
Somehow Boyega's laying pipe comment is responsible for this gal kneeling on the ground crying her eyes out? Even though the former seems to have happened before the latter? 🤷🏼‍♂️

rant-SW.png

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
Our favorite Shill Media person is back with more vitriol about ROTS being a $1B 'failure'

The Rise of Skywalker will pass $1 billion this week, and while it has performed under expectations since Christmas, the raw numbers show that audiences will still show up for Star Wars.

Walt Disney and Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker earned an additional $15.1 million in its fourth weekend of release, dropping 56.2% from last weekend’s $34.5 million weekend gross. To wit, this is the third consecutive weekend drop above 52% since the film opened with $177 million in mid-December.

Two grim stats, at least in terms of legs: It took the second-worst fourth-weekend drop for any $100 million-plus opener, behind only Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice which fell 61% in its fourth Fri-Sun frame alongside the $103 million launch of The Jungle Book. Second, for what it’s worth, the film’s fourth-weekend gross represented a 91.4% drop from its $177.383 million opening weekend. That’s not a record for a major opener (Dawn of Justice’s $9 million fourth-weekend gross represented just 5% of its $166 million debut), but it’s not great.

The ninth episode in the Skywalker has still earned a strong $478.2 million in 24 days of domestic release. Its weekend-to-weekend drops are close to Captain America: Civil War, which earned $408 million domestic from a $179 million opening after becoming Marvel’s most frontloaded movie. Absent the holiday break period, which gave Rise of Skywalker two weeks' worth of weekdays that played like glorified weekends, we may well have had a Star Wars Episode IX that earned under $400 million domestic and (presuming a 48/52 split) under $850 million worldwide.

Civil War’s $15.3 million fourth-weekend gross (during Memorial Day) represented around 8.5% of its $179.3 million opening weekend from May of 2016. Once upon a time, I figured the advantageous holiday calendar would allow Rise of Skywalker to outgross Last Jedi. I figured the movie would at least work as polished and crowd-pleasing meat-and-potatoes entertainment, think Force Awakens or Jurassic World. Instead, the holiday blitz period merely prevented the poorly-reviewed Star Wars sequel from ending with an under-$500 million domestic total.

To be fair, Walt Disney moved the film from May of 2019 to December of 2019. You can argue that A) Disney knows the value of a Christmas opening for big movies as much as anyone and B) a May launch might have given it a larger opening weekend in the first place. Considering how much of the final product felt rushed or stitched together to make a release date, there’s a case to be made that Disney should have, once Colin Trevorrow was replaced with J.J. Abrams in September of 2017, that the film should have been moved to May or December of 2020.

Even if a delay hadn’t resulted in a better final product, Rise of Skywalker’s likely over/under $520 million domestic cume and over/under $1.07 billion global finish could be higher than any of Disney’s 2020 releases. We’re still talking about a movie that has earned $990 million worldwide (after a decent $24 million overseas frame) in just under a month of release. Sure, it might need until this coming weekend to push itself past the $1 billion mark, and yes, you can even make the case that Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker may qualify as the first “$1 billion disappointment,” but money is money and Star Wars IX will make plenty of it.

If this were the third installment of a stand-alone Star Wars trilogy which marked the end of the franchise, then this result would matter no more than the final earnings of The Maze Runner: The Death Cure, Fifty Shades Freed or The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. But, yes, Rise of Skywalker does put the entire franchise on the defensive heading into the crucial “no Skywalker” future.

Am I shocked at how bad the J.J. Abrams-directed/Chris Terrio-directed Skywalker Saga finale turned out to be? Yes, I think at worst most of us were expecting a Batman Forever-type “course correction” but instead we skipped straight to Batman & Robin. Am I harder on the film’s performance both because there are more Star Wars movies in the pipeline and because Disney, Lucasfilm and Hollywood in general damn well needs to see that you don’t make a $250-$300 million franchise installment by (seemingly) listening to proverbial online trolls? God, yes.

But Kathleen Kennedy’s leadership at Lucasfilm has yielded five movies that will gross just under $6 billion in global grosses. Inflation aside, that’s more than all six Peter Jackson Middle Earth flicks. That’s 35% of MCU’s $17 billion 22-movie cume. That’s 76% of the $7.723 billion earned by the eight Harry Potter movies. And those five moves include one super-sized smash (Force Awakens) and one huge miss (Solo), with all but Rise of Skywalker earning decent reviews and solid audience word-of-mouth. Even with all the behind-the-scenes struggles, I’d argue Rise of Skywalker is the only one that seems a victim of studio tug-of-wars.

Warts and all, audiences really did want to see these new Star Wars movies, save for Solo, which took its licks ($394 million) and sent the rest of the character-centric spin-offs to Disney+. Just as the mostly strong performances, despite poor reviews/mixed buzz, for the initial DC Films flicks (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad and Justice League) showed that there was a strong general audience interested in the brand and the world in question, so too does the relative massive success of the last five Star Wars movies show that audiences still have at least some interest in the franchise.

DC Films went from Justice League to Joker in two years. The 007 series followed up Quantum of Solace with Skyfall. As long as the interest is there, Lucasfilm can survive this most disappointing Star Wars story.

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
Somehow Boyega's laying pipe comment is responsible for this gal kneeling on the ground crying her eyes out? Even though the former seems to have happened before the latter? 🤷🏼‍♂️

View attachment 1096638
Is she trying to day john is queer because lol

• Autistic
Reactions: Reverend

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slaying Anti-Lego Regiment
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fans actually like them more compared to the nu-trilogy, so might as degrade them or kill them off unceremoniously. Just compare Porkins and Biggs in the old eu compared to the nu-eu.
View attachment 1096147

No one is safe.
You should've used the pic of Biggs soiling himself. That really hits the point home.
1578932085864.png

And of course that massive faggot Star Wars Explained loved it because it has the SW logo on it and because it panders to his effeminately childish way of life.
1578932147574.jpeg

What happened to Anthony daniels?

I kind of hope the Jar Jar rumor is true. While the character is disliked, Ahmed Best deserves praise and not backlash. Guy almost killed himself because of the backlash, and this was before social media. I do like that he tends to play along (i.e. Robot Chicken) so I kinda hope he will reunite with Ewan (plz throw in a Liam Neeson cameo)
He criticize the Nu-triolgy on twitter and warned fans not to get attached to Baby Yoda, I believe.
Anthony Daniels spoke his mind about nu-Wars and 3PO's treatment, same as Tim Rose, and both ended up getting harassed and even death threats on Twitter from Disney drones. The MSM completely ignored this though unlike the Kelly Marie Tran bullshit which even people here fell for early on.

Personally I hope Jar Jar's fate gets changed simply to see Chuck Wendig's garbage devalued even more. It won't fix Disney shit, but it'll be funny to see even more inconsistencies crop up in Disney crap while Wendig seethes.
Plan 9 rectonned the Holdo maneuver to be a one in a million chance, which means Holdo is either really stupid or she legitimately is a traitor trying to get everyone killed while she escapes, but her luck got fucked. I prefer the latter explanation.
The fact that they named it after her seems to be implying that she's the first idiot to ever do it because JJ's scope and worldbuilding is just that pathetically small. Also the whole 1 in a million bullshit becomes a completely mute point since at the end of the film we see more faggots doing Holdo maneuvers over Endor.

View attachment 1096638
Disney drones are legit acting like psychos over this yet all news sites can talk about is "evil sexist russian" boogeymen trying to ruin Disney Wars.

Last edited:

Jaimas

Fourth Echelon Shitposting Team Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know guys, Im legit concerned to what will the future generations have in terms of entertainment. Because Star wars is dead (thanks Disney...), and even on its best days it wont be a third of the cultural landmark it was and the MCU "core plot" is pretty much done with. Endgame was pretty conclusive, at least for the heroes we followed since the beginning and outside of seeing maybe Spiderman sequels (tho I dare say even he is getting exausting and boring to watch) and Black Widow prequel, what the hell does it have? Dr Strange 2 just lost its director and we will always be paranoid of a Rian Johnson taking the spot. The MCU told its story and its core is pretty much done. Who the hell wants to see Cpt Marvel 2? Or She Hulk? (while I love the character when done right, she would NEVER be done well by today's tumblr writers...probably would make her a grotestic monster like in the recent comics instead of the green amazon hottie she usually is). Sure there are other heroes but its clear they have ran out of singular linear running arc (and if they do it again, it will feel obviously repetitive, what works in comics doesnt work on movies).

Once all of that is gone, what the hell will we all have? Seems like every major franchise took a nose dive to the point of becoming an exausting former shadow of their former selves...
Patience. Good works emerge all the time, you just need to go looking for them right now.

Eventually, the current wave of zero-talent assholes will destroy the industry entirely, and from the wreckage, something new and awesome will be born.

The good news is that the government won't be bailing Hollywood out. Not after the generations of shit it's pulled, and certainly not with the current president in office.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Our favorite Shill Media person is back with more vitriol about ROTS being a $1B 'failure'

Am I harder on the film’s performance both because there are more Star Wars movies in the pipeline and because Disney, Lucasfilm and Hollywood in general damn well needs to see that you don’t make a $250-$300 million franchise installment by (seemingly) listening to proverbial online trolls? God, yes.
Seriously, what possesses Scott to be a massive faggot 24/7?

AnotherPleb

kiwifarms.net
Nothing is too big to fail... unless Government is involved.

Just be sure to put a bullet in the brain of any politico that mentions bailing out Hollywood. Let it fail and collapse and something else will start up.
As much as I want Congress to tell Hollywood to fuck itself regarding any bailouts I have no doubt that Democrats will do anything in power to keep that massive propaganda machine alive. You have to remember that Hollywood always puts out for the Democratic party financially and in a more material sense. Remember all the actors in the 2016 election season shilling for Hillary?

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
As much as I want Congress to tell Hollywood to fuck itself regarding any bailouts I have no doubt that Democrats will do anything in power to keep that massive propaganda machine alive. You have to remember that Hollywood always puts out for the Democratic party financially and in a more material sense. Remember all the actors in the 2016 election season shilling for Hillary?
if you're lucky it will coincidence with california finally tipping over the edge which means there are bigger problems to fix than keep some actors in business.

Toast Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
Seriously, what possesses Scott to be a massive faggot 24/7?
Scott is and will always be an opportunist, regardless of how many "better" reviews a lot of people seem to think he's put out over the last year. He just saw the writing on the wall when it came to the sorts of reviews that supported TLJ and other movies like it. They're only looking worse in retrospect as time goes by.

Now he rides the line by catering to a middle ground while still paying lipservice to the same messaging all his peers are using. He must figure it's the best way to avoid mockery while staying employable as a professional reviewer. Oxymoron aside....

Suburban Bastard

I can use more liquor bottles
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rise of Skywalker has three nominations for the Oscars: Visuals, Score, and Sound Editing.

Regarding cast and crew from the What If Trilogy, Rian Johnson got a Best Original Screenplay nomination for Knives Out and Adam Driver got nominated in the Best Actor category for Marriage Story.
Lmfao it only gets nominated in categories that don't touch story and acting.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
You should've used the pic of Biggs soiling himself. That really hits the point home.
1578932085864.png
The more I see these abominations, the more I'm becoming convinced that some of the big shots running Lucasfilms were molested while the OT movies were playing in the background. Some horrible shit happened to them, and they grew up hating Star Wars since their experience with it was tainted. As they were put in charge of the series (through experience or nepotism), they finally had the means to take their anger out on the OT by downplaying and humiliating these characters in favor of their "improved" creations.

At this point, what other explanation can there be? Not even the most minor OT characters are safe from being degraded.

ScatmansWorld

kiwifarms.net
It's JJ. Same shit he pulled with Star Trek and TFA: he wants to kill off the characters he doesn't own so he can get 100% off merch of the ones that he does.
I’ll ask again, what the fuck is even the point of the Star Wars buyout if you don’t get all the money from the pre-existing characters and are encouraged to kill them off to replace them with original characters anyways?

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1096638
I'm blocked so I guess her "story" isn't based on real events.

Cemila Mandes

kiwifarms.net
TRoS now has a 53 on Rotten Tomatoes, making it tied with TPM as the lowest-scoring live action Star Wars. What a bookend.

View attachment 1096638
I thought that was Anna Mello at first, which seemed weird. Then I remembered Anna is THAT Star Wars Girl, not THE Star Wars Girl. Similar usernames, completely different viewpoints - go figure.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The more I see these abominations, the more I'm becoming convinced that some of the big shots running Lucasfilms were molested while the OT movies were playing in the background. Some horrible shit happened to them, and they grew up hating Star Wars since their experience with it was tainted. As they were put in charge of the series (through experience or nepotism), they finally had the means to take their anger out on the OT by downplaying and humiliating these characters in favor of their "improved" creations.

At this point, what other explanation can there be? Not even the most minor OT characters are safe from being degraded.
They don't view sci-fi as legitimate and want it to be like the good shows their mommy watched like Friends and Sex in the City as she spent her alimony payments on designer box wine.

How can anyone relate to Star Wars, it doesn't involve owning a high rise apartment in Manhattan?

Imperial Citizen

kiwifarms.net
They don't view sci-fi as legitimate and want it to be like the good shows their mommy watched like Friends and Sex in the City as she spent her alimony payments on designer box wine.

How can anyone relate to Star Wars, it doesn't involve owning a high rise apartment in Manhattan?
No it’s worse than that. Remember that the story group is made up of female romance and young adult authors.

They want Star Wars to be a mash-up of Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games.

Ihavetinyweewee

But massive grotesque balls
kiwifarms.net

Not even so much a Disney Shill, more of a KK shill.
No it’s worse than that. Remember that the story group is made up of female romance and young adult authors.

They want Star Wars to be a mash-up of Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games.
I'm not even sure who is in the storygroup anymore.

After Kiri Hart left, it got upended. Where once it was majority women, I think it's balanced now.

Still, it's a bunch of talentless junior execs anyways(regardless of sex)...

But, for sure, that unholy mashup is probably what Kennedy wanted/envisioned. Probably because she doesn't understand or care about Star Wars...

I still think Kennedy only took the gig at Lucasfilm because she wanted Alan Horns job...

It was supposed to be an easy stepping stone that she, magnificently, managed to trip over...

Last edited:
Tags
None