Star Wars Griefing Thread (RISE OF THE SKYWALKER SPOILERS) - Safety off

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
I gotta say, to see Mara Jade finally brought off the page is something I've wanted for years. To fuck her up by casting Brie Larson or making her some icon of a political agenda would make me sick. What a waste.

Anyways, I saw this the other day and got a chuckle out of it.
View attachment 1198452
I mean there’s always mysteries of the Sith and the Wii version of force unleashed

The funny thing is I think she was a good character, but this was a case of the Author's Pet ruining that. A character like her had a time to go due to her nature as a prequel character who should not live through it, and he refused to let go. In fact, he continues to force her in everything for money, making her actually annoying.

It's kind of how Spongebob became nothing but the Sheldon and Eugene Show. But with more pedophilia and overbudgeted wolves.

The kicker is Filoni already wrote 2 perfectly good send offs for her. The first being the season 5 finale of CW and the other being the s2 finale of Rebels. But no he just couldn’t fucking help himself

BipolarPon

Sad Cyborg.
kiwifarms.net
Right now the #1 article keeps fluctuating between Darth Nihilus and Starweirds. (Anyone whose played KOTOR2 knows who Nihilus is and the Starweirds have been discussed thoroughly in this thread as evil space drifting Dark Side specters)

Imperial Sentinels from Dark Empire keep fluctuating between 2 and 3. (They were the Emperor's new genetically altered guards on Byss during Dark Empire whose designs were based on the unused royal guard art for ROTJ and later the armor worn by Atha Prime, an old unused villain from an unused ROTJ sequel project pitched by companies in the 80s who was briefly brought back for consideration in the the sequel trilogy's conceptual phase)

At #4 is the bringer of misery and the big kahuna Sith Goddess herself, Abeloth, who hasn't held a spot like this since 2013.

And at #5 its the last surviving Sith God Mnggal-Mnggal. (Who I haven't discussed yet).

This is all shocking since outside of Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn and (until recently) Revan, no Legends article without canon counterparts have been able to reach the top 10.

This may have to do with 3 things, the continued rise in popularity for old canons stuff following Plan IX (which led to several old canon novels being sold out on Amazon), the rumor that the Starweirds and the old Sith Gods will be main characters in High Republic and that Darth Nihilus may be the "god" of the Nihl bandits (I'm skeptical about High Republic being the cause of this, otherwise the Imperial Sentinels and Atha Prime wouldn't be trending again since they have nothing to do with High Republic or rumors) or quite possibly the upcoming unofficial release of Supernatural Encounters: Expanded Edition which has seen quite a bit of traffic as of late.
It's good news to see the True eu get attention, but on the other hand it could be hacking. It's very weird indeed.

Mississippi Motorboater

Untouchable Busty Southern Belle
kiwifarms.net
Well, while we're casting a hypothetical 90's-era actress for Mara Jade, there's no question for who I'd pick: Sharon fucking Stone. Why? Because if you have any passing knowledge of some of the gorgeous Japanese Expanded Universe novel cover art done by artist Tsuyoshi Nagano, you'd know that his version of Mara Jade is almost the spitting image of Sharon Stone (albeit with red hair). She has the right voice, and movies like Basic Instinct show that she could inject a lethal quality to her performance, which is essential for the Emperor's Hand.

Last edited:

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
Ahsoka should have died in Rebels as a hero that saved Kanan and Ezra as she was cut down by her former master. Plain and simple. Give us the ending we waited for and give her a hero's death. That would have been best for the character and a pay off to 8 seasons (6 of CW, 2 of Rebels) worth of build up.
It would have been best for her in the scenario where she was brought back. It would be a very sad end as in its way her walking away from the war was a personal victory in its own right. So my personal "best" would have been to just let her leave in Season 5. The whole theme of TCW was the way the Jedi order itself lost its way through attachment (to the Republic and their role in the galaxy which they couldn't accept was gone and should be let go). Ahsoka and Yoda (at the very end) were the only ones who truly let go of the conflict and walked away. And thus were the only ones in the end who truly came to understand the essential founding truths of the Jedi which the rest no longer understood.

It's not to the point but I feel someone will question Yoda in the above. There's a beautiful three part arc where Yoda is seeking to understand how to become a Force Ghost and in it he finally learns to accept that the war cannot be won, maybe shouldn't be won. And that he and his order will fall. He seeks to understand what a Force Ghost is so that even when the Jedi are gone, the idea of the Jedi will persist. Whilst unlike Ahsoka he remains, to try and root out the still unknown Sith Lord, and because he's not going to abandon his fellow Jedi even though he now knows doom is coming, he still understands the galaxy is turning once again and he cannot stop that.

I really think Filoni did an extraordinary job with TCW. He took many aspects of the film that were only briefly touched on and thus not convincing enough by themselves (Anakin's transition, the economics and politics of the Republic) and filled it out with enough detail to give it verisimilitude. There are a hundred little details - whether it's Hondo remarking "so long as you don't pay me in Republic credits" hinting at the failing, hyper-inflating economy of the Republic; or Anakin beating the crap out of a rival suitor to Padme because he's unable to openly acknowledge their relationship and it maddens him to have to keep standing there whilst another man tries to seduce his wife. You get to see in TCW how the Republic is corrupted, how the Jedi fall and how Anakin comes to the decision that only by getting rid of the Jedi can there finally be peace. TCW is absolutely stuffed with things that enrich the films. And I love the show for that.

We wouldn't all be pissed off about Filoni's flaws if he wasn't so damn good in other areas.

I will say, however, that there are lower-ranked characters like Agent Callus, Minister Tua, and Governor Pryce that give chase later on, but they aren't used anywhere near as much as they should be. And that's a crying shame, since original characters allow for more creative freedom and story immersion than shoving Vader or Thrawn up the protagonists' ass for the 8th time.
This really helps calibrate Rebels that most of the opposition ARE mid-ranking agents and planetary governors. When we DO see Vader in Rebels for the first couple of times, he absolutely wrecks the place. And even though the main characters get out of there with their lives, they still lose in that episode. Goes a bit off the rails with the whole Sith Temple angle later, though. Personally I kind of feel that Ezra should have fallen under Maul's influence more. Would be interesting to see Kalen's fear and frustration as he realises the more powerful force user is taking his place in Ezra's life and not been able to stop it. Ezra could still turn to the Light at the end but they could have explored Ezra's dark side a lot more.

I'm horrified. Geena Davis, Julianne Moore, or Alicia Witt would be perfect for Mara Jade. Not Brie.
I haven't seen Alicia Witt in anything in ages. Used to have the hugest crush on her. Talented, too. Gets my vote for Mara Jade!

Flexo

Can i get "kill all humans" on random.txt?
kiwifarms.net
Well, the difference I can accept between TCW and Rebels is that in Rebels, characters like the Inquisitors are actively looking for the main heroes after they start hindering their operations. Not to mention that throughout the OT, you have numerous battles where Luke/Han/Leia and Vader are on opposite sides in spite of the size of the conflict. I suppose you could trace that back to the franchise's roots as a space opera, in which the focus is on a small set of characters and the drama that unfolds between them. Rebels was made to feel more like that than TCW was, in many areas. It's not a perfect excuse, and shows a deficiency in the narrative competence of the story, but it allows for a lot of neat scenarios between the characters...something that, at the time I was watching Rebels, I wasn't getting from the ST movies. Those films break logic and immersion just like Rebels does, and the characters and scenarios at the center of them aren't even fucking good enough to warrant the compromise.
No defending the ST here. Talk about wasted potential...

Well the way things shake out in the OT is that we get to watch what are essentially the 3 most important moments in the war. Some of the implication of them was that what made those moments so important were the intersection of multiple key figures on both sides.

So if you are going to do a series around or concurrent with the OT, you have a problem - you can't make anything too exciting or momentous because then the question arises: why wasn't this moment the focus of the movies? (Hence why Ezra time traveling is bullshit.)

The idea you would want is to focus on side characters who performed vital, but less flashy missions. Then the bigwigs of the Empire are focusing their energies on hunting down the Rebellion leaders. The problem though is when you try and make it too kid friendly, the Empire loses it's menace.

Really the show should have been about Mon Mothma and other figures we knew, but never saw many details about in the movies and their efforts to start the Rebellion. And f**** space-Aladdin

Ghostse

Waffle SS Untermenchenfurher
kiwifarms.net
The timeline of events in TCW was always a bit screwy, at least in terms of how much time passes between episodes (weeks, months, etc), so the scale of the war was never really diminished for me in that respect. Someone out there took an insane amount of time to put together a timeline in which the 2D CW, TCW, and Multimedia Project are combined to form one really long, convoluted timeline of events.
I think one of the things that makes GCW so great is it only went for one season so didn't have an opportunity to trip over its own toes in regards to hoping around in time and space.

Her leaving the Jedi Order would have been a perfect way for her exit the story alive and even get a cliche brief "she's alive" confirmation appearance post-OT. Something like this for example but more MİLFish.
One of the best cameos.

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slaying Anti-Lego Regiment
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It would have been best for her in the scenario where she was brought back. It would be a very sad end as in its way her walking away from the war was a personal victory in its own right.
Tragedy is sort of the point of war. We can't allow favoritism to dictate if a character lives or dies, not that we should go full GoT either, but from a writing standpoint, having her walkaway to do nothing of relevance for the next 30 years or become a glorified easter egg is not exactly a victory. And her death would certainly make Anakin's fall to the Dark Side more believable. It would show the reality of war, the corruption of the Republic and the Jedi that would force a child into a pointless war that they had no stake in. It would instill Anakin with more fear and paranoia, making his extreme obsession with keeping Padme alive all the more believable and mature than simply being a side effect of his mother dying. It would also make her lack of being mentioned in any prequel media or any media for that matter prior to Filoni Wars make more sense. She was never around for any big event or even took part in the reformation of Luke's academy like other surviving Jedi did. So death would've been the best explanation for that than simply saying that she was just content watching from some not-Dagobah because fans don't want to see her die. Favorite characters can die in SW, that's always been a thing, Chewbacca, Mara Jade, Anakin Solo, etc, their deaths all caused fans to become pissed off and mindlessly rageful to the point of sending death threats and whatnot, but deaths like those of Chewbacca held a great impact for the character in the public eye that was not aware of his standalone exploits, it proved that he was more than just a sidekick. He was a soldier and a hero in the end who ascended to godhood among wookiees. And I say this as someone who initially hated his death and Mara's.

Last edited:

nfys nst

almost became interesting
kiwifarms.net
I mean there’s always mysteries of the Sith and the Wii version of force unleashed
Force Unleashed was the first and probably only time I felt smug over owning the Wii version of a game. The multiplayer was great, hands down.

Handling character send-offs well is probably the final and ultimate pleb filter any writer must go through. Anyone who's ever written knows how hard it can be to finish the story of a character you've spent weeks, months or even years with. Your favourites almost become a part of you, it becomes harder and harder to remain unbiased and your story's quality may suffer for it if you cling to your characters too long or defiantly. If a story has been told, you have to be able to lay it to rest. Give your hero or villain a meaningful send-off, one that concludes their arc, gives new motivations to other characters and makes the story as a whole better instead of having them plod along forever for no real reason.
Think of Boromir in the extended cut of The Companions. Peter Jackson actually goes out of his way to improve on Tolkien's work by giving Boromir a character and an actual arc, along with a simply all-around excellent, well-acted and touching death scene to finish things off. It's one of the templates for what a death scene should be like, I think.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Here you folks go.
time stamp?

Force Unleashed was the first and probably only time I felt smug over owning the Wii version of a game. The multiplayer was great, hands down.

Handling character send-offs well is probably the final and ultimate pleb filter any writer must go through. Anyone who's ever written knows how hard it can be to finish the story of a character you've spent weeks, months or even years with. Your favourites almost become a part of you, it becomes harder and harder to remain unbiased and your story's quality may suffer for it if you cling to your characters too long or defiantly. If a story has been told, you have to be able to lay it to rest. Give your hero or villain a meaningful send-off, one that concludes their arc, gives new motivations to other characters and makes the story as a whole better instead of having them plod along forever for no real reason.
Think of Boromir in the extended cut of The Companions. Peter Jackson actually goes out of his way to improve on Tolkien's work by giving Boromir a character and an actual arc, along with a simply all-around excellent, well-acted and touching death scene to finish things off. It's one of the templates for what a death scene should be like, I think.
It still has waggle and graphical downgrades as well as one of the levels being cut from the console version but I still have nostalgia for the game especially the multiplayer. On the topic of Mara Jade thats actually how I first found out about the character. She was such an odd choice for the game since the other characters were either OT/PT characters, characters from the game, or Starkiller alternates. The only other outlier was Ventress but she was in two animated series so chances are people knew who she was.

Reactions: GeneralFriendliness
Tags
None