Star Wars Griefing Thread (THE RISE OF SKYWALKER SPOILERS) - Safety off

Based_Papa_John

Papa Lied, Memes Died.
kiwifarms.net
Politics aside, Iger should have fired Kennedy a long time ago. This seems to be her MO:

1. Hire a director or showrunner for an upcoming project.
2. Director finishes 80% of the product.
3. Cray-Cray KK doesn't like it, and fires director and/or orders significant reshoots to make it more to her liking.
4. Product manages to get worse on top off much higher costs due to extensive reshoots.

Seriously, how is Iger supposed to make back his $4 bil investment with KK setting money forests alight every time Lucasfilm undertakes a project? Her exit can't come soon enough.

Kenobi

kiwifarms.net
Politics aside, Iger should have fired Kennedy a long time ago. This seems to be her MO:

1. Hire a director or showrunner for an upcoming project.
2. Director finishes 80% of the product.
3. Cray-Cray KK doesn't like it, and fires director and/or orders significant reshoots to make it more to her liking.
4. Product manages to get worse on top off much higher costs due to extensive reshoots.

Seriously, how is Iger supposed to make back his $4 bil investment with KK setting money forests alight every time Lucasfilm undertakes a project? Her exit can't come soon enough.
Has there ever been a more exceptional boss then KK in media? She has basically lost billions of dollars in revenue for disney just because she wanted her shitty waifus and ideology pushed. Star wars used to be the hottest shit on the market even during the prequel days, with merch selling like hotcakes. Today you can get things for surplus prices. How does one destroy a cultural and financial giant that has been going strong for 40yrs in about a 1/10 the time.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
Has there ever been a more exceptional boss then KK in media? She has basically lost billions of dollars in revenue for disney just because she wanted her shitty waifus and ideology pushed. Star wars used to be the hottest shit on the market even during the prequel days, with merch selling like hotcakes. Today you can get things for surplus prices. How does one destroy a cultural and financial giant that has been going strong for 40yrs in about a 1/10 the time.
Hmm, Tom Rothman and Amy Pascal come to mind. I can't think of anyone else that comes even close for continually screwing up besides these three.

BipolarPon

Sad Cyborg.
kiwifarms.net
A good question for another time.

But Seriously Ku Klux Kennedy only got to where she is now because she was good friends with Spielberg and helped him fund his movies, and Spielberg was also friends with Lucas, and Kennedy helped him produce his movies, which were successful like Spielberg. Lucas being bias trust her in being the President of Lucasfilm, while selling it off to Disney because he had a good relationship in the past, and Marvel was doing good etc, then a few years later Iger turns out to be a worse greedier boss than Eisner. Majority of Marvel comics are shit, Disney shuts down Lucasarts and gives the Star Wars game license to Ea of all companies. Discontinues The Eu, leaving a lot of story lines left unfinished. Story group hires shit authors like Ben Acker,Ben Blacker, Chuck Wendig and allows Pablo Hildalgo to shit on fans.

Kathleen Kennedy doesn't have a good creative bone in her body yet tries to change Star Wars to align with her views and meddles with scripts and such is making creative decisions that ruin legacy characters like Luke and Han, and hire people who align with her agenda for the films,like Rian Johnson, and that Thor Ragarnok director. Shits on Lucas's legacy despite him trusting her, (unless you go with the conspiracy theory he purposefully wanted her to fuck things up so people could appreciate him more.)

Tld;r Rich person helps fund successful filmmaker who also knows other successful filmmaker, and they become friends. Rich person gets very powerful in Hollywood from knowing the right people, and making competent business decisions but overall bad at filmaking and storytelling, yet gets almost all the power to the best selling franchise cause friendship.

I hate hollywood.

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net

Ghostse

Waffle SS Untermenchenfurher
kiwifarms.net
Indeed. That's why he could have made a pretty good SW movie.
View attachment 1112686

Is it me or are they using a Spartan helmet from Halo 5?
The Spartan Helmet is basically a modified motocross helmet, so likely just drawing from the same real world inspiration.

And there's a difference between complete ankle-grabbing fan-pandering and "Does this at least color inside the lines and build off the earlier media" which Tevorrow seems to have a solid grasp on.

Would a Tevorrow film or trilogy have lived up to the hope/hype? Probably not.
But would it have been a complete dumpster fire that goes out of its way to shit on existing fans in the name of wokeness, unable to maintain internal logic let alone be consistent with 8 other films? No.

ASoulMan

It's time for assembly...FROM HELL!!!
kiwifarms.net
I know I'm late to the punch bowl, but seeing the concept art that's supposedly based on Trevorrow's take really makes you think how much different things would have been if CT was still running things.

i21dowoualc41.jpg

The movie would have still been bad but at least it wouldn't bring back Palpatine for the sake of nostalgia. And even though Rey's concept outfit is clearly Luke's outfit from the end of ROTJ, I'd take that over another variation of her TFA outfit. And a different saber instead of Anakin's saber AGAIN.

Also the top right image is apparently Hux committing sudoku with a lightsaber because the FO is getting bopped so hard.

Ihavetinyweewee

But massive grotesque balls
kiwifarms.net
I know I'm late to the punch bowl, but seeing the concept art that's supposedly based on Trevorrow's take really makes you think how much different things would have been if CT was still running things.

View attachment 1112976

The movie would have still been bad but at least it wouldn't bring back Palpatine for the sake of nostalgia. And even though Rey's concept outfit is clearly Luke's outfit from the end of ROTJ, I'd take that over another variation of her TFA outfit. And a different saber instead of Anakin's saber AGAIN.

Also the top right image is apparently Hux committing sudoku with a lightsaber because the FO is getting bopped so hard.
No, it would have been dogshit either way. Perhaps, less so. But, a turd with sprinkles is still...

Trevvrow is very clearly playing politics with this. He might be making a play for when Kennedy leaves or saving face...

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
Thinking more about the ST, I like the idea someone pitched earlier about the reformed Republic being the actual baddies and the Imperial Remnants being the underdog rebellion. It kinda makes sense in some ways. Because while the Empire was definitely not a loving, democratic system, it certainly must have improved the lives of many. Primitive worlds that get brought up to a more advanced level of technology, isolated worlds suddenly gaining access to wider trade hubs, worlds wracked with millennia-long civil wars forced into peace under threat of invasion from superior Empire forces, lawless worlds that were once run by criminal syndicates eventually being annexed and brought to order.
And when the Empire fell, they lost everything. Coruscant? Turns out that shitty scene in the faggy Special Edition was just someone's spice induced hallucination as Coruscant was a very loyal Imperial world (Being it's capital and all, ffs). Well, turns out they're in open rebellion, and the Republic has been besieging the planet for almost 2 decades at the expense of millions of lives on both sides because they are utterly determined to wipe out whatever is left of the Empire.
Perhaps a lot of the conflict comes from the fact that the Republic simply could not fill the power vacuum successfully.

Fuck, here's some shitty dialog:
"Under the Empire we had peace, we had security, we had wealth! And you took it all away from us. And what did we get in return? NOTHING! Without the Imperial Navy our systems were invaded by pirates and slavers. We had no defenses without the Empire. And when we turned to you for help what did we get? We were told that you simply don't have the resources to send reinforcement. Oh, you sure as hell have the resources to wage a deacades long war of aggression against your dissenters on Coruscant, but mercy forbid you spare a few of those ships to help a planet you "liberated" from the only thing protecting it!"

Shit, we could have gotten a much more complex Kylo Ren. Let's expand on a piece of his dialog.
"I will finish what you started."
What did he mean by this? What did Vader start? Well, we know he was trying to wipe out the Jedi. But we also know that he damn near wiped out the Sith, too. So let's add to that.
"Jedi? Sith? Ancient remnants of a bygone age that refuse to realize that the Galaxy is done with them. Millennia of conflict between the Jedi and Sith have brought this Galaxy to the edge of ruin time and again. I'm done with it, I'm done with these zealous religions pulling the Galaxy apart with their petulant fighting. There will be no more Jedi, no more Sith... only The Force! Let the past die, kill it if you have to."

Now THIS is a Kylo Ren who, rather than being an emo fucktard because Uncle Luke almost yeeted him in his sleep, is sick of everyone's shit. He looks at people like Snoke and Luke as just scheeming old bastards who want to control him for their own purposes. Whether he's right or wrong, it at least adds a lot more complexity to his character. Hell, a lot of people might even find his motivations understandable, and only his methods questionable.

Last edited:

Sexual Chocolate

kiwifarms.net
Because while the Empire was definitely not a loving, democratic system, it certainly must have improved the lives of many.
The Empire was written with the same level of nuance as a 1980's Saturday morning cartoon in the OT, but it didn't matter because it looked cool and everything you needed to know about them was summed up when they casually did a drive-by on Alderaan.

The prequels totally missed the opportunity to show us why a galactic-scale political and economic superpower was ripe for regime change. Nobody wanted a realistic political thriller set in the West Wing of the Galactic Senate, but they could've given us more than some lame trade dispute involving Space Chinamen, instantly dated snarking at Bushitler, and Jar Jar's exceptional speech.

Why do charismatic dictators like Mussolini or Pinochet seize power? Because the old system was corrupt, failing and weak and the people were mostly glad to see it go. Palpatine is the single greatest character of all time in Star Wars, he should've had a cleverer story arc that let us see Ian McDiarmid do magnificent bastard stuff like Frank Underwood in space. Show us how formidably clever, scheming and ruthless he is, and let McDiarmid chew up the scenery like a boss while doing it.

Instead, we got the most awkward and least convincing grooming scene ever seen in a production that didn't involve Chris Hansen

zllmyixi0yny~2.png

ExceptionallyExceptional

kiwifarms.net
Why do charismatic dictators like Mussolini or Pinochet seize power? Because the old system was corrupt, failing and weak and the people were mostly glad to see it go.
This is exactly my point. A lot of people probably hated the Republic for being so utterly ineffective. The Trade Federation illegally blockades a Republic world? Well, lets do nothing but deliberate in the senate.
Trade Federation illegally blockades an Imperial world? Fuck the Senate, dispatch the Navy and wipe them out!

At the end of the day, at least the Empire got shit done. Fuck, the fact that they had 20 years of Imperial rule before they had their superweapon that would "keep the local systems in line" through fear and they didn't get torn apart with rebellion shows us that most worlds have peaceably accepted Imperial rule and only outliers like Alderaan were opposed to it.
The rebellion was a tiny faction. I don't buy that there were 10 billion of the fuckers like Wikiepedia claims otherwise they could have overrun the Death Star with sheer weight of numbers.

Tragi-Chan

A thousand years old
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thinking more about the ST, I like the idea someone pitched earlier about the reformed Republic being the actual baddies and the Imperial Remnants being the underdog rebellion. It kinda makes sense in some ways. Because while the Empire was definitely not a loving, democratic system, it certainly must have improved the lives of many. Primitive worlds that get brought up to a more advanced level of technology, isolated worlds suddenly gaining access to wider trade hubs, worlds wracked with millennia-long civil wars forced into peace under threat of invasion from superior Empire forces, lawless worlds that were once run by criminal syndicates eventually being annexed and brought to order.
And when the Empire fell, they lost everything. Coruscant? Turns out that shitty scene in the faggy Special Edition was just someone's spice induced hallucination as Coruscant was a very loyal Imperial world (Being it's capital and all, ffs). Well, turns out they're in open rebellion, and the Republic has been besieging the planet for almost 2 decades at the expense of millions of lives on both sides because they are utterly determined to wipe out whatever is left of the Empire.
Perhaps a lot of the conflict comes from the fact that the Republic simply could not fill the power vacuum successfully.

Fuck, here's some shitty dialog:
"Under the Empire we had peace, we had security, we had wealth! And you took it all away from us. And what did we get in return? NOTHING! Without the Imperial Navy our systems were invaded by pirates and slavers. We had no defenses without the Empire. And when we turned to you for help what did we get? We were told that you simply don't have the resources to send reinforcement. Oh, you sure as hell have the resources to wage a deacades long war of aggression against your dissenters on Coruscant, but mercy forbid you spare a few of those ships to help a planet you "liberated" from the only thing protecting it!"

Shit, we could have gotten a much more complex Kylo Ren. Let's expand on a piece of his dialog.
"I will finish what you started."
What did he mean by this? What did Vader start? Well, we know he was trying to wipe out the Jedi. But we also know that he damn near wiped out the Sith, too. So let's add to that.
"Jedi? Sith? Ancient remnants of a bygone age that refuse to realize that the Galaxy is done with them. Millennia of conflict between the Jedi and Sith have brought this Galaxy to the edge of ruin time and again. I'm done with it, I'm done with these zealous religions pulling the Galaxy apart with their petulant fighting. There will be no more Jedi, no more Sith... only The Force! Let the past die, kill it if you have to."

Now THIS is a Kylo Ren who, rather than being an emo fucktard because Uncle Luke almost yeeted him in his sleep, is sick of everyone's shit. He looks at people like Snoke and Luke as just scheeming old bastards who want to control him for their own purposes. Whether he's right or wrong, it at least adds a lot more complexity to his character. Hell, a lot of people might even find his motivations understandable, and only his methods questionable.
Tatooine in the prequels is a shithole with no presence in the economic life of the galaxy, where there’s slavery, gangsters literally run the place and even a Queen is not safe. Under the Empire, it’s a thriving trading port with a cop on every corner. Sure, the Empire might kill you if you break the laws, but a lot of people would consider that a small price. Someone from there might well think the Empire gave them a better deal.

HandsomeDan

Copy Gold Leader, Im already on my way out...
kiwifarms.net
Supposed concept work for Trevvorow's episode 9 : https://imgur.com/a/lX9JG8F
I must say these images actually interest me unlike anything we saw in the ST. The part about R2s (poor R2 who was treated probably the worst of all of the OT characters) Shell being carried by Chewbacca is actually pretty emotional. Not surprised they rejected all of this for the disposable shit they gave us.

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
Trevvrow is very clearly playing politics with this. He might be making a play for when Kennedy leaves or saving face...
does he even have enough weight for that job? I'd assume disney is looking for someone with more experience and pull.

The Empire was written with the same level of nuance as a 1980's Saturday morning cartoon in the OT, but it didn't matter because it looked cool and everything you needed to know about them was summed up when they casually did a drive-by on Alderaan.
that's more applicable to the "here's your nazi imagery bro" first order.
empire in the OT isn't really that much explained, in ANH you just have alderaan, but considering it's a whole fucking galaxy that's more on the level of nuking hiroshima. they're more about absolute force, and you can debate if that's good or bad (if you blow up every bank being robbed it will definitely stop after a while). as others said the empire will have a positive effect in some parts of the galaxy.
they're just the bad guys because lucas needed an obvious villain, if they were justified in their actions is never really touched upon. it really only gets weird when it turns out it's run buy an evil wizard (same way the rebellion is "good" because reasons - that's why I kinda like the more grey portrayal in RO).

in a better timeline where bad guys could still be competent with reasonable motives we maybe could get a good ST, now everything has to be black and white with infantile written villains where the good guys only win by being less exceptional.

ExceptionallyExceptional

kiwifarms.net
empire in the OT isn't really that much explained, in ANH you just have alderaan, but considering it's a whole fucking galaxy that's more on the level of nuking hiroshima. they're more about absolute force, and you can debate if that's good or bad (if you blow up every bank being robbed it will definitely stop after a while). as others said the empire will have a positive effect in some parts of the galaxy.
they're just the bad guys because lucas needed an obvious villain, if they were justified in their actions is never really touched upon. it really only gets weird when it turns out it's run buy an evil wizard (same way the rebellion is "good" because reasons - that's why I kinda like the more grey portrayal in RO).

in a better timeline where bad guys could still be competent with reasonable motives we maybe could get a good ST, now everything has to be black and white with infantile written villains where the good guys only win by being less exceptional.
The Tarkin Doctrine was to rule through fear of force rather than through force itself. That's kinda why they blew up Alderaan, just to show that they could. It's kinda hard to keep people in line with "We have a space station that can totally blow up a planet. Trust me, it can totally blow up a planet! We won't blow up any planets right now, but trust us when we say we can!" without demonstrating it. Once Alderaan got blown up nobody in the Galaxy was left with any doubts that the Empire could and would willingly blow up an entire populated planet. Granted they COULD have beaten Alderaan into submission through invasion, but that just doesn't get the point across, a very simple and potent point: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, TO REBEL IS DEATH.
It's more or less exactly like Hiroshima. Show the enemy that there is absolutely no chance to win, and further fighting only makes things MUCH worse.

Ihavetinyweewee

But massive grotesque balls
kiwifarms.net
does he even have enough weight for that job? I'd assume disney is looking for someone with more experience and pull.

Um, to direct a Star Wars movie? Sure...

If you mean running Lucasfilm? No, sorry if I wasn't clear...

• Agree
Reactions: GeneralFriendliness
Tags
None