Star Wars Griefing Thread (THE RISE OF SKYWALKER SPOILERS) - Safety off

Strange Wilderness

kiwifarms.net
I don't even think the idea of doing the Marvel approach wasn't even the problem, it was that Marvel had plans about what they were doing.

Hell, I still remember the arithmetic going into the sequels of "guy who made a Star Trek movie that was too Star Wars plus studio that made that Thor movie that was too Star Wars should equal at least competent Star Wars as long as they have some plans behind it."
Marvel also had Kevin Feige who knows how to run a tight ship and ensure the MCU remains on track. Disneys attempts to use Kennedy and Filoni as the Star Wars version of Feige is doomed to fail because of their personal shortcomings. Its why every other Cinematic Universe has flopped miserably, there was no one directing the whole thing behind the scenes who could balance storytelling with the financial demands of making big Blockbuster movies.

Wouldn't be the first time. Although, Halloween 2018 wasn't a behemoth of a franchise like SW.
Disney is too arrogant and invested into the Star Wars IP to retcon what they intended to be their replacement for the OT. Halloween when it got rebooted had degenerated into a mess of three separate continuities that apart from Season of the Witch, all ended in the dumbest way possible so the only way to salvage the series was to reboot and retcon all the sequels. Disney has no one to blame but themselves for crapping the bed and will never acknowledge their mistakes.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net

Wouldn't be the first time. Although, Halloween 2018 wasn't a behemoth of a franchise like SW.
After the failure of Derp Fate, I think explicit franchise retcons are off the table for at least another couple years. They might try half-hearted workarounds like yet more prequels or jumping a couple generations into the future (like they should have in the beginning) but I don't think they'll ever dumpster STRONK WAMMAN in this political climate.

SmugAutist

The Ride of the Spergery
kiwifarms.net

I usually like Midnight's Edge, but the fact that the source of the rumors is Doomcock is one big :optimistic: .

Yes, the sequels are a mess. Yes, any person with any sort of competence would retcon them several years down the line when this culture war shit winds down. Thing is, what are they going to replace it with? You can talk about canon all day long, most of the normies will just look at the movies as their canon. So what are they going to do? Another trilogy? Carrie Fisher's dead. Good luck in getting Harrison Ford. Mark Hamill may be game but by the time it becomes politically acceptable to retcon the sequels the man's going to make Billy Dee Williams look like a squirrel on meth.

Disney fucked themselves over on this. There's no changing it anymore. They're just going to have to live with their failure.

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slaying Anti-Lego Regiment
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I'm disappointed that Midnight's Edge is using Doomcock as his only source for this shit. I thought he had better standards than that. If this rumor were true, everyone would be talking about it. Every single fucker with an "uncle" at Disney or Lucasfilm and even the Wookieepedos would be running around screaming about it. And Disney-Lucasfilm is not good at keeping secrets considering how much of their shit has gotten leaked over the years. Hell, TLJ was practically leaked on /tv/, the entirety of Galaxy's Edge and IX were all over this thread way before their official opening/debut, almost every single thing Disney has planned is already leaked or known. If retconning the sequels were true, Disney would have to retcon their nu-canon as well because of how heavily all of that garbage heavily ties in with the Disney Trilogy. Even the new comics and tie-in novels feature Oscar Isaac's character's mother as a main character, yet nobody is talking about whether or not the DEU will be getting the same treatment. So if Disney retcons their films, everything else would logically have to follow (and if true, I would say "good riddance" but so far it doesn't seem to be the case). Doomcock can't even supply even a single image for any of his leaked info, not even his IX stuff while I and other leakfags with nothing better to do were dropping pics left and right. And again, anyone who is anyone along with anyone with even the smallest fringe contact at Lucasfilm would've spilled the beans on this the moment it was announced at Lucasfilm because this would be huge, but so far the only one talking about this is Doomcock, and anything he says is either poorly sourced or flat-out wrong, just like his STD and IX rumors.

So if this turns out to be true, it'll be something that will be heard everywhere. But so far its just fucking Doomcock, and Disney is still producing a sequel-era game and novel, and if the sequels were getting canned, that wouldn't be the case (but then again they have shut down projects before on a whim) and they'd be shitcanning their entire garbage nu-canon because of how heavily it all ties in with the Disney Sequels. So yeah, would I love to see Disney's shit get the boot? Yes. Have there probably been discussions at Lucasfilm about how fucked their continuity is and that they wish they knew what to do? Yes. Is Lucasfilm divided between internal factions? Definitely. Have they actually made an official decision on the matter regarding their oh so precious nu-canon? No. Their only major decision on the inside so far is to put Filoni in charge of new story projects in an attempt to start an MCU of sorts but with Disney+ which is already looking to be a fanfic-tier mess of Filoni self-fellating.

A retcon will happen eventually though, if not soon, then definitely by the mid to late 2020s (which would suck to wait even longer to finally see this shit collapse). If soon, it will be because they finally realized how completely fucked they've made everything. But if later, it was something that was going to happen eventually regardless if the Disney Trilogy clusterfuck had been a universally loved mess, because reboots are just part of the norm these days among the creatively bankrupt.

Do I wish Doomcock were right? Fuck yes because the asshurt would be extraordinary and it'd be great to see the Disneydrones and turncoats get a taste of their own medicine when Disney buttfucked continuity in 2014. But the fact is that Doomcock hardly ever is right on anything. The stuff he ever is right about is usually said by someone else way before him, he just gets more attention for it because he's an e-celeb with a popular gimmick. Hell they're even implying that Lucasfilm still has an internal SW Bible despite Porgcuck pointing out the contrary, and I doubt even Doomcock knows who Porgcuck is.

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net

Like I said the other day about Doomcock's video, it's bullshit. What DC and Midnight's Edge don't understand is that the Sequel Trilogy is the new Star Wars. Disney/LF can (and probably will) use the World-between-Worlds to either erase the past (the George era, from the OT to the Old Republic stuff) or to rewrite it, to fit a [current year] view. Sure, there are 2 groups within Disney/LF who are fighting over the franchise but they will never remove what they've created, because they think it's superior to whatever came before. It's the same thing with other franchises by the way (Doctor Who, Star Trek).
Also there too many people involved, I mean could you imagine if they say "well, actually the Sequel Trilogy and all its related content didn't happen", what about the actors? I'm sure Mark Hamill would be less depressed, Harrison Ford would say "WTF is a Star Wars?" but what about Carrie Fisher? Her final role was in a movie that doesn't exist?

Ghostse

Waffle SS Untermenchenfurher
kiwifarms.net
If we're still on this topic later I'll make a proper sperg post, but I'm too tired so going to sum this up breifly:
Its not just you getting old. Movies are utter shit now. And its not the woke injections - that's just a symptom. 90% of the movies from the 60's to the 80's had some "diversity is our strength" tier message sideplot about race relations and getting along with the Russians.

The problem is that Hollywood flushed & depowered most of their screenwriters during and after the writers strike, and have been cultivating new fresh from script writing school talent because they've been able to get away with having inexperienced writers & story groups who have no leverage; letting them write about black transexual genderqueer lesbians has been acceptable for them in exchange for giving the studio execs complete control and getting utterly anally destroyed when it comes to negotiating rights and royalties since they have no idea what they should be asking for (and getting).

This is why everything is creatively bankrupt, because almost everything is getting written by no-talent assclowns, overseen by people who don't care about the product, only the money it brings in and (by proxy) the power it brings them.

And they were getting away with it until recently, but they've pushed the envelope too far and China's film industry is starting to catch up.

Feige is running Marvel franchise as a tight ship, but its already starting to leak, some of it due to reasons outside of his control; no matter how good your scripting, no matter how solid your arcs, you can't stop Robert Downey Jr. from creeping inexorably towards 60, and China's native film industry starting to mature in terms of visual effects. The next wave of movies will be interesting to see as people have started to peel off due to fatigue overcoming inertia.

GeneralFriendliness

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Like I said the other day about Doomcock's video, it's bullshit. What DC and Midnight's Edge don't understand is that the Sequel Trilogy is the new Star Wars. Disney/LF can (and probably will) use the World-between-Worlds to either erase the past (the George era, from the OT to the Old Republic stuff) or to rewrite it, to fit a [current year] view. Sure, there are 2 groups within Disney/LF who are fighting over the franchise but they will never remove what they've created, because they think it's superior to whatever came before. It's the same thing with other franchises by the way (Doctor Who, Star Trek).
Also there too many people involved, I mean could you imagine if they say "well, actually the Sequel Trilogy and all its related content didn't happen", what about the actors? I'm sure Mark Hamill would be less depressed, Harrison Ford would say "WTF is a Star Wars?" but what about Carrie Fisher? Her final role was in a movie that doesn't exist?
Considering her final role was as a poorly CGI'd Mary Poppins who was forced to act as a mean cunt for the sake of admiral pink hair's ego, I doubt many would complain... and I doubt there's anything any of the crews involved could do against Disney's might if it did come to that other than bitch on Twitter and make some petitions on Change.org, especially since the majority of those involved with TFA and IX were Bad Robot jerks who are practically disconnected from Disney. But on a more serious note, despite that Doomcock is most likely full of shit, one thing that does have some validity (something I and many others genuinely forgot because of how little so many care) is the info regarding that Disney/Lucasfilm wants to make a multiverse starting with Kennedy's new pet project. Will they undo their garbage? No, because they're too full of themselves, as you said (hell they're more likely to sell SW than admit defeat by self-retconning), but they'll want to start doing alternate/parallel universe MCU bullshit down the line. We already know that Kennedy's new Disney+ show with a female lead being developed by Leslye Headland will be set in an alternate timeline for the time being. So maybe Doomcock might not be completely full of it, but that doesn't mean they'll throw their crappy nu-canon under the bus. At best they'll keep it as the "prime timeline" like some Star Trek shit and then set up a new continuity which will be the "Filoni Timeline" or something. IE the laziest way to make up for inconsistencies and mistakes in your crap. That way they get their shitty new continuity to focus on while keeping their godawful movies as the true final fates of the OT... The best hope for SW is honestly to be either sold off or locked away at this point...

HandsomeDan

Copy Gold Leader, Im already on my way out...
kiwifarms.net
I agree, they will never admit failure on this , but they will most definitely downplay the ST where they can and we have been seeing this happen. In a post of mine from last week I mentioned watching the Mandalorian documentary series, which was clearly geared towards the people who prefer the OT, the only mention of the ST in any form was the statement about the "release of Episode 9" in an interview. What I think they will start to do is create different "versions" of Star Wars packed and marketed for different fan groups. The products for the original fans will conveniently ignore the ST wherever possible. They cant just erase the ST, especially due to Carrie Fisher's death, but they can emphasize it or de-emphasize it as needed.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So what are they going to do? Another trilogy? Carrie Fisher's dead. Good luck in getting Harrison Ford. Mark Hamill may be game but by the time it becomes politically acceptable to retcon the sequels the man's going to make Billy Dee Williams look like a squirrel on meth.
yeah I don't think there's any chance they'll flat-out say the movies never happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just stopped mentioning things from it for the most part, like they didn't make a part in Jedi where they explicitly removed the events of the Holiday Special but it's not like they called attention to it either

The problem is that Hollywood flushed & depowered most of their screenwriters during and after the writers strike,
yeah iirc the legends as I've heard is that when the half-written crap during it made the same money the producers realized they didn't have to give any fucks at all

GeneralFriendliness

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Apparently the cantina in Galaxy's edge won't reopen with the Florida parks. Mark that as one less thing to do there.
This is going to be a pretty big blow. The Cantina, while shit, was probably the most visited area in the park after the Kylo Ren ride (for a time), even getting longer lines than it and the shitty Falcon ride. It was the main attraction for wine moms and social media fags to show off and buy expensive drinks while roleplaying. It was also one of the few parts of the park that looks like its from Tatooine despite its retarded lack of aliens. And the Kylo Ren ride itself was suffering due to constant breakdowns, so now the only reason to visit the park is the Falcon ride which isn't very popular due to most tourists not even knowing how to work the controls.
I agree, they will never admit failure on this , but they will most definitely downplay the ST where they can and we have been seeing this happen. In a post of mine from last week I mentioned watching the Mandalorian documentary series, which was clearly geared towards the people who prefer the OT, the only mention of the ST in any form was the statement about the "release of Episode 9" in an interview. What I think they will start to do is create different "versions" of Star Wars packed and marketed for different fan groups. The products for the original fans will conveniently ignore the ST wherever possible. They cant just erase the ST, especially due to Carrie Fisher's death, but they can emphasize it or de-emphasize it as needed.
Yes. They will never admit failure. They'd sooner sell Star Wars off and claim its worthless than backtrack on anything, never admitting its only worthless now because of their own actions, no, SW was the problem, not them, that will be the narrative to save face with investors and partners. They won't admit any failure on their part, but they will always look to pin blame on something else to save their own hides. But as I've already said, whether this is Carrie Fisher's final role is irrelevant to them even if they ever did consider the option to can the sequel saga. Only ones who will use that as an argument will be half of Disney drones and eternal loyalists who don't want to see their precious nu-canon garbage squandered. The Fisher family will be saddened but then they'll claim "that they're disappointed but will understand Disney's decision from a creative standpoint" as they get a big fat check to not be too dismissive, while most others simply won't care since her final role in TLJ was an embarrassing shitshow that degraded her iconic character into parody, and later shamefully resurrected via shitty zombie cgi for sequels. And they'll try and spin it as not being disrespectful (and they can) by claiming that continuity is irrelevant and that the movies are still available to be "enjoyed" for Carrie fans and will continue to be re-released. But I don't see them de-emphasizing anything as there are still shitty Disney+ ads talking about "all 9 movies" and 2 sequel-focused media on the way, along with GE still being heavily tied to the sequels. They would sooner sell off the franchise as a cursed failure or lock it all away quietly than de-emphasize it.

In other news, some sites are claiming Rian's trilogy is "totally still happening guys!" Take that as you will.

The new Mandalorian news finally came out, its not a new season preview, its just more shitty books by gay authors about the Mandalorian.

Rian decided to make another obnoxious tweet to commemorate things.
1593544410630.png

And also Phil LaMarr is a hypocrite.

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
This is going to be a pretty big blow. The Cantina, while shit, was probably the most visited area in the park after the Kylo Ren ride (for a time), even getting longer lines than it and the shitty Falcon ride. It was the main attraction for wine moms and social media fags to show off and buy expensive drinks while roleplaying. It was also one of the few parts of the park that looks like its from Tatooine despite its retarded lack of aliens. And the Kylo Ren ride itself was suffering due to constant breakdowns, so now the only reason to visit the park is the Falcon ride which isn't very popular due to most tourists not even knowing how to work the controls.

Yes. They will never admit failure. They'd sooner sell Star Wars off and claim its worthless than backtrack on anything, never admitting its only worthless now because of their own actions, no, SW was the problem, not them, that will be the narrative to save face with investors and partners. They won't admit any failure on their part, but they will always look to pin blame on something else to save their own hides. But as I've already said, whether this is Carrie Fisher's final role is irrelevant to them even if they ever did consider the option to can the sequel saga. Only ones who will use that as an argument will be half of Disney drones and eternal loyalists who don't want to see their precious nu-canon garbage squandered. The Fisher family will be saddened but then they'll claim "that they're disappointed but will understand Disney's decision from a creative standpoint" as they get a big fat check to not be too dismissive, while most others simply won't care since her final role in TLJ was an embarrassing shitshow that degraded her iconic character into parody, and later shamefully resurrected via shitty zombie cgi for sequels. And they'll try and spin it as not being disrespectful (and they can) by claiming that continuity is irrelevant and that the movies are still available to be "enjoyed" for Carrie fans and will continue to be re-released. But I don't see them de-emphasizing anything as there are still shitty Disney+ ads talking about "all 9 movies" and 2 sequel-focused media on the way, along with GE still being heavily tied to the sequels. They would sooner sell off the franchise as a cursed failure or lock it all away quietly than de-emphasize it.

In other news, some sites are claiming Rian's trilogy is "totally still happening guys!" Take that as you will.

The new Mandalorian news finally came out, its not a new season preview, its just more shitty books by gay authors about the Mandalorian.

Rian decided to make another obnoxious tweet to commemorate things.
View attachment 1419307

And also Phil LaMarr is a hypocrite.
"7 hour movie for children" Jesus what a fucking prick. Newsflash retard, George made a film ANYONE could enjoy not just kids you salty hack film making fuck.

Dixieland Buckaroo

A 12-piece bucket o' trouble
kiwifarms.net
They will never admit failure. They'd sooner sell Star Wars off and claim its worthless than backtrack on anything, never admitting its only worthless now because of their own actions, no, SW was the problem, not them, that will be the narrative to save face with investors and partners. They won't admit any failure on their part, but they will always look to pin blame on something else to save their own hides.
I'm agreed on the corporate hubris. So long as Eiger is in the company or on the board, they won't dump any major parts of SW or Fox. Also, I'm under the impression that part of the reason they bought Fox was to more easily unify the Star Wars and Marvel film rights, in conjunction with a somewhat larger library for D+ and control of Hulu. (EDIT: Another reason was to significantly reduce their competition in Fox Sports by taking over their regional networks in the US, but they had to sell those off due to government monopoly oversight. And now no one is watching sports, so eh.)

There is precedent for Disney selling off an IP, but I don't see this as a Power Rangers situation. PR was never really integrated into the other Disney silos (maybe some merchandise but mostly just Fox Family channel as it was then called), while Star Wars is all over the parks, Disney+, Marvel, etc. They'll keep pumping out garbage until morale improves.

Tags
None