Star Wars Griefing Thread (THE RISE OF SKYWALKER SPOILERS) - Safety off

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
There’s already rumors that Disney is going to start downsizing soon and SW is likely to be affected.

6bil in cash reserves for a global corporation like Disney may be low, but how badly are the really going to be affected for the rest of 2020?

Rumors of Disneys impending demise due to corona but if they have shut everything down, there expenses should be close to 0. They can always get a loan to hold them over until this change a little bit and they have a bunch of things to break off and sell if necessary.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the preemptive doing dong the witch is dead cheering is probably too early. Everyone(including me) talking about Disney's finances sound like they don't know the way money and business work in the real world practically and everything is being said from theory.

but if they have shut everything down, there expenses should be close to 0
They still have to pay employees some minimal wage, but they did stop paying a 100K guys a few months ago. We also have to keep in mind that they did have to cough up 70bil for Fox just a year before the wuflu hit. But with all that, and as much as I can sympathize with the FM, Disney is too big to fail, they have ~200bil in assets that they could sell off bit by bit for years.

SmugAutist

The Ride of the Spergery
kiwifarms.net
6bil in cash reserves for a global corporation like Disney may be low, but how badly are the really going to be affected for the rest of 2020?

Rumors of Disneys impending demise due to corona but if they have shut everything down, there expenses should be close to 0. They can always get a loan to hold them over until this change a little bit and they have a bunch of things to break off and sell if necessary.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the preemptive doing dong the witch is dead cheering is probably too early. Everyone(including me) talking about Disney's finances sound like they don't know the way money and business work in the real world practically and everything is being said from theory.
The people that think Disney will just collapse are too optimistic. I think the most realistic thing that could happen is that they lose so much money that they have to reassess their plans, hopefully stop the train of failing upward, and go back to a more neutral stance on things. It's happened before. Remember back in the mid to late 2000s when they were sucking the cock of the religious right? Most people don't, because the shift from family values to social justice posturing was done silently in the span of ten years. That's what I hope happens. I will now readily accept my rainbow ratings.

SmugAutist

The Ride of the Spergery
kiwifarms.net
What's this referring to?
Making their stars wear purity rings and various references to God and prayer in their live-action movies. It was subtle but it was there in the same way that the social justice stuff today is just a few edits away from making it good for Chinese censors. The last days of the religious right were their loudest, it kind of reminds me of today with less riots and more crazy boomers gathering in large stadiums to pray the recession away.

GeneralFriendliness

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There’s already rumors that Disney is going to start downsizing soon and SW is likely to be affected.

As nice as this sounds, they're still using Doomcock as a reference so I'm taking with a LOT of salt. However other non-Doomcock news sources have said that Disney parks in Florida may close again due to rising death tolls in Florida, so Disney is definitely in dire financial straits and I think SW is the furthest thing from their minds right now in terms of what they need to fix.
Along with talks of the financial constraints and how much Disney is being forced to borrow to maintain stability. Either way, I hope the Midnight's Edge stuff is true despite my pessimism and how much I think Doomcock is full of it.
When his name was actually canonically Jaster Mereel?
They surprisingly did acknowledge this in later material after the prequels like in the Bounty Hunter game by making Jaster Jango's adoptive father whose name he then adopted as an alias which Boba eventually did too. It was kinda surreal hearing the name be said out loud outside of a novel.

Anyway, in other news it looks like another ex-Lucasfilm employee has decided to speak up (although only a little) this time being Joseph Bongiorno who used to help manage the SW timeline and write RPG entries (and was also the writer of Supernatural Encounters before its publication got axed by Disney) and now he currently runs the infamous SWTimeline.net that chronicles the entire history of SW and even publishes unpublished SW books and stories while also allowing downloads of unpublished works that were never officially licensed.
1596088746182.png

Anyway he mentions that the post-Disney buyout period at LFL felt completely aimless and without leadership, with LFL focusing more on cheap and easy fan pandering without any sort of narrative flow, just retellings of the OT and that LFL didn't bother to follow Lucas' themes as Disney began to put more emphasis on OT nostalgia pandering, like with their first comic by Marvel which was only a sequel to ANH that ignored ESB and ROTJ until it was convenient.

Bongiorno has also decided to start taking Porgcuck's advice and allowed his site to start publishing fan works set in the old canon timeline that fit with pre-established lore and history. So it looks like this meme became true after all.
Bart's Expanded Universe.png

Edit:
Bongiorno's Expanded Universe.png

Last edited:

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doomcock is an idiot, because while I definitely expect them to only keep chain announcing shit as vaporware to try and save face and trick smoothbrains via paid mouthpieces they own, they aren't going to die. Sell off companies and go stupidly frugal, but not die. Not yet at least.

I expect them to sell off assets well before then, and they have a lot that could keep them alive. Since Iger is still basically in charge IMO (Chapek's a lamb to sacrifice for the bad year), I expect the first big sale ESPN first. Then ABC well before Fox or LFL, since Iger is a weak and petty man who lies to himself every day about being a strong and intelligent money maker.

They'd have to go Chapter 11 well before they'd sell Marvel though.

GeneralFriendliness

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doomcock is an idiot, because while I definitely expect them to only keep chain announcing shit as vaporware to try and save face and trick smoothbrains via paid mouthpieces they own, they aren't going to die. Sell off companies and go stupidly frugal, but not die. Not yet at least.

I expect them to sell off assets well before then, and they have a lot that could keep them alive. Since Iger is still basically in charge IMO (Chapek's a lamb to sacrifice for the bad year), I expect the first big sale ESPN first. Then ABC well before Fox or LFL, since Iger is a weak and petty man who lies to himself every day about being a strong and intelligent money maker.

They'd have to go Chapter 11 well before they'd sell Marvel though.
I fully agree but I doubt that even with Chapter 11 that they would sale away Marvel, even if the only successful part of it are the movies and LEGO games. I think Iger would sooner sell everything Disney owns then sell Chapek's kidneys before he considered selling Marvel. That is of course if their debt really is as bad as financial reports and rumors implied, because frankly Marvel (or specifically the MCU) is their most valuable asset right now aside from the parks themselves and maybe FOX and the only one that might really attract the big bucks. With how crummily ESPN's been doing, it will go but it won't be worth much, so Marvel and FOX might be the only ones that might get cash back, but selling Marvel would doom them as it is still one of their most valuable assets (some would also like to claim the same thing of SW, but that IP is nowhere as invincible or as popular as it once was, and even merch sales are at an all time low compared to Marvel's despite that being SW's main source of income when George had it). Their ownership of FOX is still a mess, so I'm unsure about certain things there. Would they be able to sell away bits of FOX one at a time or would they be forced to sell the whole thing in one big swing? Personally speaking, and as unlikely as it may seem, I would prefer to see FOX and SW sold together as one package considering how essential the two are to each other.

Regardless, this is all just hypothetical spew on my part.

space ghost.jpg

Meanwhile...
Star Trek.png

Last edited:

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I legit don't think Iger would sell FOX unless it faced insolvency, and his puppet Cheapek won't do it either. I think he'd rather burn all the pre-Iger items over that, mainly because he is that weak and petty a man. He can't even control LucasFilms, despite being the fucker behind their pursestrings and owning their asses.

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
They still have to pay employees some minimal wage, but they did stop paying a 100K guys a few months ago. We also have to keep in mind that they did have to cough up 70bil for Fox just a year before the wuflu hit. But with all that, and as much as I can sympathize with the FM, Disney is too big to fail, they have ~200bil in assets that they could sell off bit by bit for years.
Employee expenses are going to be close to 0 relatively speaking due to lay offs, asking people to take pay cuts or just not paying people who make above x amount. The 70bil probably was a loan that they are paying back over time though and that's going to be expensive.

The people that think Disney will just collapse are too optimistic. I think the most realistic thing that could happen is that they lose so much money that they have to reassess their plans, hopefully stop the train of failing upward, and go back to a more neutral stance on things. It's happened before. Remember back in the mid to late 2000s when they were sucking the cock of the religious right? Most people don't, because the shift from family values to social justice posturing was done silently in the span of ten years. That's what I hope happens. I will now readily accept my rainbow ratings.
I disagree and what I'm about to say is going to sound contradictory but it isn't(I dont think?)

People are talking about Disney's finances as a linear decline which is going to prompt them to sell Star Wars or change the way they are handling the IP. That's what I disagree with. Things tend not to be linear with companies this big(in anything really) so if things got bad enough for any of those changes to be made they would be so bad that Disney probably ceases to exist as we know it.

So I think Disney has a higher change of collapsing than people think due to an event that hasn't happened yet, due to their corporate culture in Disney and their money making IPs(Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and particularly if what I've read about their finances (regarding their debt to asset/revenue ratio among other things) is true. All the talk about their finances in relation to Star Wars is way to limited in scope and not taking into account that losses in business usually are exponential not additive.

jspit

kiwifarms.net
I legit don't think Iger would sell FOX unless it faced insolvency, and his puppet Cheapek won't do it either. I think he'd rather burn all the pre-Iger items over that, mainly because he is that weak and petty a man. He can't even control LucasFilms, despite being the fucker behind their pursestrings and owning their asses.
They may not get a choice. Apparently USAG Barr took shots at them, including Disney.

HandsomeDan

Copy Gold Leader, Im already on my way out...
kiwifarms.net
When his name was actually canonically Jaster Mereel?
That was his name in the Bounty Hunter Tales book (and I do like that story) The one Im thinking of is in another book where he talks to Leia candidly and complains about his aging body (he mentions his aching knees). He is clearly a self serving man but clearly has a moral code he follows. He may use that name as well. It is not in the Tales from Jabba's Palace Book, its another one. Does anyone remember what book that is from?

I do not like the "clone" origin of Fett at all.

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
Even with the employee cuts and no parks open, Disney's costs aren't anywhere near 0. The parks alone have substantial maintenance costs that will have to be paid even during shutdown. (Some will trigger when they can finally reopen to get the parks back up into shape.) Many productions that were halted earlier in the year will likely be cancelled. It would be a herculean task getting actors and production crews back together again. Only stuff that was very near completion or deep in production will see the light of day.

Also, past debt obligations still have to be paid on time.

The pandemic hit at the worst possible time. Disney blew most of their cash reserves on the Fox deal. Iger's spending spree over the decade left Disney in a very vulnerable position with very little to weather a major economic downturn.

Iger's legacy isn't going to be Marvel or Star Wars, it's going to be almost bringing Disney to the verge of chapter 11. Business classes in college are going to be taught about how reckless it was to position the company with no rainy day fund cash reserve.

Edit: Also, the archive Disney uses to store old film negatives and artwork has to be throughly maintained and under constant cooling supervision. That isn't cheap.

Last edited:

White Devil

Zyklon Ree
kiwifarms.net
That was his name in the Bounty Hunter Tales book (and I do like that story) The one Im thinking of is in another book where he talks to Leia candidly and complains about his aging body (he mentions his aching knees). He is clearly a self serving man but clearly has a moral code he follows. He may use that name as well. It is not in the Tales from Jabba's Palace Book, its another one. Does anyone remember what book that is from?

I do not like the "clone" origin of Fett at all.

I don't know, it sounds a lot like The Last One Standing, which was his story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters. I remember that part about his knee because it was during his hunt for the Devaronian in 19 ABY.

I did not like the clone thing either, but not much anyone can do about that.

SmugAutist

The Ride of the Spergery
kiwifarms.net
Even with the employee cuts and no parks open, Disney's costs aren't anywhere near 0. The parks alone have substantial maintenance costs that will have to be paid even during shutdown. (Some will trigger when they can finally reopen to get the parks back up into shape.) Many productions that were halted earlier in the year will likely be cancelled. It would be a herculean task getting actors and production crews back together again. Only stuff that was very near completion or deep in production will see the light of day.

The pandemic hit at the worst possible time. Disney blew most of their cash reserves on the Fox deal. Iger's spending spree over the decade left Disney in a very vulnerable position with very little to weather a major economic downturn.

Iger's legacy isn't going to be Marvel or Star Wars, it's going to be almost bringing Disney to the verge of chapter 11. Business classes in college are going to be taught about how reckless it was to position the company with no rainy day fund cash reserve.
This is my view. Granted, I'm not exactly an expert in financial matters but Iger's hubris got the better of him in the end. I can't exactly blame him, the economy was the best it had been since the 90s and nobody expected the pandemic to hit the world as it did. Iger probably had a lot of plans on how to make the money after getting Fox but those plans keep going down the shitter every day they don't make the money they wanted to make.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
As nice as this sounds, they're still using Doomcock as a reference so I'm taking with a LOT of salt. However other non-Doomcock news sources have said that Disney parks in Florida may close again due to rising death tolls in Florida, so Disney is definitely in dire financial straits and I think SW is the furthest thing from their minds right now in terms of what they need to fix.
Along with talks of the financial constraints and how much Disney is being forced to borrow to maintain stability. Either way, I hope the Midnight's Edge stuff is true despite my pessimism and how much I think Doomcock is full of it.

They surprisingly did acknowledge this in later material after the prequels like in the Bounty Hunter game by making Jaster Jango's adoptive father whose name he then adopted as an alias which Boba eventually did too. It was kinda surreal hearing the name be said out loud outside of a novel.

Anyway, in other news it looks like another ex-Lucasfilm employee has decided to speak up (although only a little) this time being Joseph Bongiorno who used to help manage the SW timeline and write RPG entries (and was also the writer of Supernatural Encounters before its publication got axed by Disney) and now he currently runs the infamous SWTimeline.net that chronicles the entire history of SW and even publishes unpublished SW books and stories while also allowing downloads of unpublished works that were never officially licensed.
View attachment 1483327
Anyway he mentions that the post-Disney buyout period at LFL felt completely aimless and without leadership, with LFL focusing more on cheap and easy fan pandering without any sort of narrative flow, just retellings of the OT and that LFL didn't bother to follow Lucas' themes as Disney began to put more emphasis on OT nostalgia pandering, like with their first comic by Marvel which was only a sequel to ANH that ignored ESB and ROTJ until it was convenient.

Bongiorno has also decided to start taking Porgcuck's advice and allowed his site to start publishing fan works set in the old canon timeline that fit with pre-established lore and history. So it looks like this meme became true after all.
View attachment 1483332

Edit:
View attachment 1483348
Neat its a good site and m primary source for my current chronological trip through the EU

Reactions: GeneralFriendliness

GeneralFriendliness

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Edit: Also, the archive Disney uses to store old film negatives and artwork has to be throughly maintained and under constant cooling supervision. That isn't cheap.
This is my view. Granted, I'm not exactly an expert in financial matters but Iger's hubris got the better of him in the end. I can't exactly blame him, the economy was the best it had been since the 90s and nobody expected the pandemic to hit the world as it did. Iger probably had a lot of plans on how to make the money after getting Fox but those plans keep going down the shitter every day they don't make the money they wanted to make.
Pretty much. Disney might've been able to survive the Corona pandemic without much problem (even if they had a string of cinematic failures behind them) if Iger hadn't been so eager to buy FOX which for all intent was a dumb move based solely on "more is good", when frankly the main reason they wanted that shit was for crap like X-Men, the other Marvel properties, The Simpsons and maybe cash in on some other IPs, but with how complicated the licensing and legal paperwork for that shit is, Disney can barely touch any of that shit except maybe the Marvel stuff so they were forced to put everything else on lockdown until it could all be resolved, effectively making FOX a metaphorical paperweight and one of the most idiotic purchases imaginable. Disney will not cease to exist, but as a whole, as we know them now at least, they're fucked. Expect lots of downsizing, loss of IPs, maybe even selling some of their foreign parks like Shanghai Disney and others, and sadly lots of lower level employees getting kicked in the nads even harder because Iger and his executive cronies just had to have millions upon millions shoved into their pockets while giving each other raises. Anyway, Disney is gonna end up a shell of its former self after all this is said and done. I mean seriously, billions wasted just before one of the biggest lockdowns ever while still trying to sort out the billions wasted on a messy park expansion.

Which was retconned into being the name of his adopted grandfather (which holy crap I just realized is kinda like Dragon Ball)
641a01s6fbe31.jpg

"Now listen here you little Bantha shit...!"

Tags
None