Star Wars Griefing Thread (THE RISE OF SKYWALKER SPOILERS) - Safety off

starborn427614

kiwifarms.net
Gruntgirl got fat in lockdown... but i still like her grunting. would bang!
Blue guy was okay but it was cartoon logic to trust him so much.
Kid scenes were fine.

realy didnt like that tzhey used another stupid tracking device and that they had an alien install it... the empire realy hated aliens...
When your Empire's fractured you probably don't have that much choice.

Parallel Moon

kiwifarms.net
This is probably going to sound a bit tinfoil hat-ish, but the Alan Dean Foster situation makes me wonder whether the reason the sequel garbage ended up the way it did is because Disney does not want to do anything that will make them have to pay royalties to all those old EU authors.

If you think about the ST it doesn't make a lot of sense. It isn't coherent even within itself and it does everything in its power to completely destroy the characters and the worldbuilding. I'm not denying that incompetence and lack of understanding of Star Wars is not a factor but think of it this way:

What would be most pleasing to the biggest possible audience? What could be both fun and understandable for everyone to little kids to older hardcore fans, to foreigners who have never encountered Star Wars before? What logically follows as a satisfying sequel to the OT? What has potential for future sequels and spin offs?

Would it be A: what happened in the sequel trilogy which doesnt seem to appeal to anyone besides Reylos (and even they are angry their stud muffin died) and some people who will mindlessly consume and defend basically anything

Or B: the efforts of the OT characters paid off. There is a New Republic. A new Jedi order. Leia, Han, maybe Luke and Lando have families of their own and have grown into a leadership/mentor role. The story focuses on their children and their children's friends. Then a new threat arises that the new Republic and the new Jedi order must defeat.

Like someone a few comments ago said about the sequel trilogy, there is no longer a government. There is no Jedi order. Rey is just wandering around in a forest now or whatever. All the OT characters are dead and/or have their legacy ruined. There is no where to to go as a series that is really satisfying. The new characters are obviously not appealing and Disney did not capture either the kid audience or the foreign one.

And for a long time I just couldn't understand why they would go for option A. It just seemed totally illogical that they would kill their cash cow. There is definitely an incompetence factor for sure. Mystery boxes, subverting expectations, lack of planning and woketard garbage is also there.

But then all these articles bashing the old EU come out. Kennedy says that there were no novels or comics. Now we find out that at least Alan Dean Foster isn't being paid for his work.

What if the EU is a reason that they created the sequels the way they did? Perhaps Disney forbid them from using elements of option B because they are a greedy soulless corporation that doesn't want to pay people like Timothy Zahn royalties on their ideas.

Because option B is the general outline of the old EU.

Shroom King

kiwifarms.net
So today's episode has the X-Wing pilot tell Cara Dune he served "during Alderaan," which is an odd expression. You don't hear people say "I served during 9/11." But then he says the stupidest shit in all of Star Wars (yes, even worse than the PT and ST nonsense):

He asks her, "Did you lose anyone at Alderaan?" :story: Dude, you realize the whole planet blew up, right?

Last edited:

Mississippi Motorboater

Untouchable Busty Southern Belle
kiwifarms.net
Please share. Put them in the Shipping thread, or in a Mega folder or something if you don't want to burden Null.
I think the Shipping Thread is so far along, and has really moved on past the Reylo's that it would probably be considered "late". Especially when most of these reactions are from close to a year ago. I could share a few highlights on this thread, if anyone's interested in reclining in a jacuzzi of angry fangirl tears.

jspit2.0

kiwifarms.net
Do we know Jon and Dave's opinion on the ST? Considering references to it have mostly been background stuff so far I'm inclined to believe they're either neutral or dislike it.
Depends who you listen to.

Parasite Dave has praised it on multiple, public occasions. If that's the case in his heart?

Various sources have indicated Favreu is maybe not as much of a fan.

My take, as the resident ParaDaveologist, I'll tell you Dave probably likes the underlying sentiment of the Sequels but hates the terrible execution. He'll do whatever his the most politically expedient thing. Favreu is there at Disney's sufferance and with Dave at his back. He's going to keep trying to toe the line and make something entertaining.

starborn427614

kiwifarms.net
So today's episode has the X-Wing pilot tell Cara Dune he served "during Alderaan," which is an odd expression. You don't hear people say "I served during 9/11." But he then he says the stupidest shit in all of Star Wars (yes, even worse than the PT and ST nonsense):

He asks her, "Did you lose anyone at Alderaan?" :story: Dude, you realize the whole planet blew up, right?
Her cousins could've been off planet or whatever. Clearly what we need is a spin-off exploring Cara's close family.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was just thinking how different the Sequel Trilogy would have been if Gareth Edwards was given the helm instead of Rian Johnson (and the added caveat that Kathleen Kennedy didn't have her grimy hands in the plot).
Rogue One was a fun movie and even if you didn't like the movie, you can't say there wasn't love made into it.
To me, Edwards proved himself with that film and was someone I could've seen treating the franchise with respect.
Sadly, we can't have nice things.

General F-Mantoid

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Blue guy was okay but it was cartoon logic to trust him so much.
That's how Filoni works. Cameos and returning appearances of OT and PT characters and characters he made are things he likes to abuse very frequently. If not for the era and technical limitations, the show would be brimming with every OT character in the book except Luke and Han since Filoni isn't particularly fond of referencing them.

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is probably going to sound a bit tinfoil hat-ish, but the Alan Dean Foster situation makes me wonder whether the reason the sequel garbage ended up the way it did is because Disney does not want to do anything that will make them have to pay royalties to all those old EU authors.
I'm 100% certain someone in this very thread (some-damn-where) speculated that was specifically the case. That Foster has come out with all this I think kinda cements it.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's how Filoni works. Cameos and returning appearances of OT and PT characters and characters he made are things he likes to abuse very frequently. If not for the era and technical limitations, the show would be brimming with every OT character in the book except Luke and Han since Filoni isn't particularly fond of referencing them.
Is it because Luke & Han were traditional male heroes?
If it is, Filoni is a petty cuck.

Syaoran Li

Gay Old-School Rocker and Weeb Mountain Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also, apparently Tusken Raiders are just "kind of brutal" Native Americans. Damn do I hate this revisionism.

Ironically enough, one of Lucas's main inspirations for the Tusken Raiders were Native Americans as they were depicted in old Hollywood Westerns from the 1950's.

George Lucas is a huge sperg for old Westerns, as are a lot of older Boomers who like genre fiction.

Gary Gygax himself even admitted that Westerns were just as much of an influence on the early Dungeons & Dragons games as Sword & Sorcery novels were and that both were more influential than Tolkien.

I don't get why nu-fans fixate on the Holiday special.

If I were to guess, it's a "trigger the chuds, own the chuds" mentality

The Star Wars Holiday Special is generally considered to be the worst piece of official Star Wars media in the pre-Disney era. Even George Lucas disowned it and admitted it was a bad idea right off the bat, which is why he went out of his way to keep it from getting a home release.

Now that Disney owns the franchise and Lucas has no say, they can theoretically release the Star Wars Holiday Special on DVD, Blu-Ray, or Disney+ and I think a lot of the Nu-Wars fans love it solely because all the other Star Wars fans hate it. Even the Prequel Trilogy's fans hate it.

General F-Mantoid

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Saw the new episode. Better than the last one, but that's not saying much for me. The writing was fine, the vehicles were nice, the aliens were all ugly nu eyesores, Gina's character was solid (although they missed out on another good chance to reference New Alderaan, but then again this is the period of time where Disney placed Leia as a great failure due to wanting to showcase her as victim of discrimination and inequality so everything she has to do must fail to make her look like a martyr) and Gina's actress caused butthurt again so that's a bonus. The Imperial elements were nice, as well as seeing Dark Troopers again.
1605911533742.png

I'm getting some satisfaction at least in seeing those wimpy-looking deathtrooperfags from RO getting replaced.

If you think about the ST it doesn't make a lot of sense. It isn't coherent even within itself and it does everything in its power to completely destroy the characters and the worldbuilding. I'm not denying that incompetence and lack of understanding of Star Wars is not a factor but think of it this way:

What would be most pleasing to the biggest possible audience? What could be both fun and understandable for everyone to little kids to older hardcore fans, to foreigners who have never encountered Star Wars before? What logically follows as a satisfying sequel to the OT? What has potential for future sequels and spin offs?

Would it be A: what happened in the sequel trilogy which doesnt seem to appeal to anyone besides Reylos (and even they are angry their stud muffin died) and some people who will mindlessly consume and defend basically anything

Or B: the efforts of the OT characters paid off. There is a New Republic. A new Jedi order. Leia, Han, maybe Luke and Lando have families of their own and have grown into a leadership/mentor role. The story focuses on their children and their children's friends. Then a new threat arises that the new Republic and the new Jedi order must defeat.

Like someone a few comments ago said about the sequel trilogy, there is no longer a government. There is no Jedi order. Rey is just wandering around in a forest now or whatever. All the OT characters are dead and/or have their legacy ruined. There is no where to to go as a series that is really satisfying. The new characters are obviously not appealing and Disney did not capture either the kid audience or the foreign one.

And for a long time I just couldn't understand why they would go for option A. It just seemed totally illogical that they would kill their cash cow. There is definitely an incompetence factor for sure. Mystery boxes, subverting expectations, lack of planning and woketard garbage is also there.

But then all these articles bashing the old EU come out. Kennedy says that there were no novels or comics. Now we find out that at least Alan Dean Foster isn't being paid for his work.

What if the EU is a reason that they created the sequels the way they did? Perhaps Disney forbid them from using elements of option B because they are a greedy soulless corporation that doesn't want to pay people like Timothy Zahn royalties on their ideas.

Because option B is the general outline of the old EU.
Them avoiding royalty issues is definitely something I believed early on until Disney-Lucasfilm started making more regular references to EU content, and then RO and Solo came out which had way more EU references than any other Disney Wars movies, right down to dropping the names of old novels (although in RO's case they retconned more than they recanonized), and Solo even used Alan Dean Foster's iconic planet from Splinter of the Mind's Eye and the species he created, planet Mimban and the Mimbanites (although the ones in the film were more based on the comic adaptation of the novel he created but the name remains so that might be relevant).
1605909591298.png

In fact the only major EU characters that haven't been brought back or mentioned are Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade and the Skywalker, Solo and Calrissian children. Disney even went out of its way to fully recanonize the events of IG-88's entire artificial life (specifically the story "Therefore I Am: The Tale of IG-88") except for his brief stint with the Diversity Alliance from the YJK series, and even then the author of both of those stories was Kevin J. Anderson and I think he already mentioned once before that he wasn't getting any royalties from them. In fact a lot of Disney's new SW guides have also just copy-pasted stuff from past guides by different authors and one of them pointed out that he hadn't been getting paid anything either. So far many past authors have complained about this in the past but it seems Foster is the only one to have taken action on the matter now.

Also, the author of the Dark Empire comics pointed out all the ideas and locations Disney used from his comics for Rise of Skywalker.
However unlike other authors, he didn't make any comment about royalties and was seemingly happy that his stuff got referenced in a multi-million dollar movie.
1605910473566.png

Another thing of note is that Disney has still been re-releasing all the old EU comics, books and games under the Legends banner, which is where I think most of the authors want royalties from.
How quickly that narrative in the MSM changed when they realized Disney was referencing it more often after TLJ screwed the pooch.
1605910792568.png

Is it because Luke & Han were traditional male heroes?
If it is, Filoni is a petty cuck.
He's pretty much simping for Kennedy behind the scenes.
1605911785304.jpeg

Only exception to this rule was Lando who alongside Leia, R2 and 3PO were the only main characters from the OT to appear in Filoni's last cartoon (but then again Lando is pansexual now...). Only reason Chewbacca was left out was because he would have to be with Han.

Last edited:

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Saw the new episode. Better than the last one, but that's not saying much for me. The writing was fine, the vehicles were nice, the aliens were all ugly nu eyesores, Gina's character was solid (although they missed out on another good chance to reference New Alderaan, but then again this is the period of time where Disney placed Leia as a great failure due to wanting to showcase her as victim of discrimination and inequality so everything she has to do must fail to make her look like a martyr) and Gina's actress caused butthurt again so that's a bonus. The Imperial elements were nice, as well as seeing Dark Troopers again.
View attachment 1739955
I'm getting some satisfaction at least in seeing those wimpy-looking deathtrooperfags from RO getting replaced.
I just thought of something: What if The Mandalorian brings Kyle Katarn back into canon since the Dark Troopers have made a cameo appearance?

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just thought of something: What if The Mandalorian brings Kyle Katarn back into canon since the Dark Troopers have made a cameo appearance?
That would be pretty awesome but since it's very unlikely that they would be allowed to make him a Jedi, he loses a lot of the character development he got in the EU.

Last edited:

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Your correct. NJO doesn't have Padawan's? Oh well, she's powerful in the force and a Jedi something.
I don't remember if they ever used the term Padawan during NJO, but the idea was that they were still technically apprentices (which might have been the term they used) like during the YJK series. After all, Jacen and Jaina were only 16 at the start of the conflict. Everyone who participated in the Mission to Myrkr was knighted when Jacen got back, and most of them were around 20 years old, which is pretty much the normal age for Jedi to be knighted. The outlier would be Tahiri, who was 15 at the time. That pretty much opened up a can of worms which led to Ben Skywalker being knighted at fucking 14. Still, the nature of the EU meant that Jacen, Jaina and friends were all overpowered as fuck even as apprentices so your sentiment stands. Jacen and Jaina should have been considered superweapons at the beginning of the Vong war with all the shit they had accomplished.

Tags
None