Star Wars Griefing Thread (THE RISE OF SKYWALKER SPOILERS) - Safety off

ManateeHunter

awoo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a feeling that they did nothing with the character because they were scared of the reaction. She's supposed to be a strong woman but... she's also on the villains side.
They already had a "strong wahmen" character in Rey. Setting up Phasma as a cold-blooded tactical opponent for her (or Finn which would make more sense since he was under her command before) would have shown how they would treat all female characters in the Disney SW universe. The fact that she's treated like a discount version of Kenny really shows how Disney can't write good character arcs to save their franchise.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
The more I read the more I want to know...

This explains so much. All the named shop owners and aliens with bios and descriptions who don't exist (which I've mentioned before) and all the little details and the obviously vacant areas feeling like they're missing essential occupants, it all makes sense. Not to mention all the treads and footprint markings from droids and animals in the park despite their absence. I mean for those who didn't read my GE info dumps (which start at page 500), each store in the park has an owner with unusual attention to detail despite not existing. This explains so much of that, all cut for the sake of cheapness and thinking Instagram whores and the SW label would be enough to bring in park goers and make cash. The absolute arrogance.
Wow, can’t believe they literally gutted the park and still expected it to do well. You take away the shows and the characters, and what do you have left, just one mediocre ride and an empty park?

It’s impossible to say how the park would have done had the cut content stayed, but then at least it would fail in its own merits instead of as a direct result of Disney’s greed and general incompetence.

FriendlyNeighborhoodDaddy

Never Fear.
kiwifarms.net
I've found a page from one of the Holdo comics, it's not the one I saw a few days ago but anyway. If I'm not mistaken, she kills the plant because she uses its fluid (blood?) as hair dye.

View attachment 890442
What's with the killer plant? Is Holdo is the SW equivalent of Seymour from "Little Shop of Horrors?"

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There are plenty of real life historical examples of victors shooting themselves in the foot in roughly these sorts of ways.
Are there? I'm raking my brain, but I can't find a similar instance, where after a massive, genocidal war, the winning side (that also ended up on the receiving end of the genocide) would then just go "We don't need an army from here on out and we will in fact have no system in place to deal with a resurgence of our mortal enemies."

There's a long tradition to military blunders and political failures, sure, but on this scale, I can't think of one.

The closest thing to an explanation is that there's a lot of resources in the Unknown Regions which is as lazy a handwave as they come.
It also doesn't make any sense, since if the Unknown Regions had such an abundance of resources, they'd be strip mined and no longer be "Unknown".

Total sidebar, but as a kid, before the prequels, I always assumed that "Ben" was Kenobi's "Real" name and "Obi-Wan" was his "Jedi name". There is literally nothing to indicate this, but it was my own personal head-canon for reasoning why he would use "Ben Kenobi" as an alias for "Obi-Wan Kenobi". It isn't an alias! Its just his real name that he re-adopted after the Jedi fell.

But then the prequels happened and pretty much killed all of that, lol.
I sort of assumed it would be akin to a title or rank, like "Sensei".

In other news Hux not-Tarkin has no fans.
1565766185096.png
Poor guy, he's doing the best he can with his character, but he's way too goofy and way too campy. He'd fit right in with characters like Igthorn or Skeletor, but part of me thinks he'd be too campy even for that.

It's one of the things that I said when I first joined this thread:
When you model a pseudo-nazi villain after a nazi character, who would be more intimidating?
If you modelled him after Colonel Klink:
Or if you modelled him after Vidal from Pan's Labyrinth:

Hux used to be a serious character, but Ruin took him and turned him into a comic relief - while also deciding to wipe out Snoke. I really do not understand this at all.
Ruin took away all characters that felt like a threat, who did he think would take over as main villain? Kylo? It's just so utterly mind blowingly idiotic.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
The Last Jedi damaged the brand so badly that they can't even move the merch anymore, I keep seeing and hearing about vast swathes of SW merchandise in stores constantly being put on clearance and almost none of it sells, we're at the point Disney could be offering to pay people to take the merch and they wouldn't be able to move any of it.

But, you know, I see these posts and tweets and so on out in the wild where people talk about getting emotional and crying over TLJ and I feel like I’m a member of an entirely different species. These brand defenders are claiming the movie was ackshually a success (a BILLION dollars) and keep repeating that it was "critically acclaimed" which is a meaningless phrase because for a long time now "film critics" aren't better equipped to judge the merits of films than anyone else...we're not talking about serious critics like Pauline Kael here, we're talking about glorified bloggers and soft-headed dweebs with liberal arts degrees who write in meaningless buzzwords and blurb-talk and have their intellectual energies severely taxed by having to write 250 word reviews of blockbuster films.

We haven't had a functioning movie criticism culture in a long time, there is very little actual critical thought or examination of cinema by film critics, it's mostly a bunch of people who approach film with what boils down to a "I don't know if it's art but I know what I like" dullard attitude. The only real reason for them to exist is that they will often rubber-stamp approval on enough dreck so as not to put off advertisers. "4.5 out of 5" "5 stars!" "90% on Rotten Tomatoes!",.

Ghostse

Waffle SS Untermenchenfurher
kiwifarms.net
My worthless opinion:

Ignore the press releases. Disney's actions suggest that they are losing money on Star Wars and they are cutting their losses. Everything from films to the park is being scaled back.
TBF, corporations buying a golden goose for a great price, and then starving it by trying to save a few pennies on feed it is nothing new.

Iceland Heavy

kiwifarms.net
Are there? I'm raking my brain, but I can't find a similar instance, where after a massive, genocidal war, the winning side (that also ended up on the receiving end of the genocide) would then just go "We don't need an army from here on out and we will in fact have no system in place to deal with a resurgence of our mortal enemies."

There's a long tradition to military blunders and political failures, sure, but on this scale, I can't think of one.
I've heard defenders use the Western Allies during the interwar period as an example. But even they at least tried to rearm towards the end there and were facing an opponent that had already eclipsed them industrially.

It also doesn't make any sense, since if the Unknown Regions had such an abundance of resources, they'd be strip mined and no longer be "Unknown".
There's some lazy explanations for that too. The Unknown Regions are mostly uncharted but Snoke has maps apparently. Which completely ignores that the First Order has to then go and establish infrastructure and a population base to actually extract any of that on a scale rivaling that of the densely populated core that they abandoned. Maybe if they were automated to the extent that the CIS was it might be feasible but we know now from TLJ that they prefer to just force slave kids to dig it up.

Ghostse

Waffle SS Untermenchenfurher
kiwifarms.net
No one went full re.tard to 'zero army' but several times for various reasons the victorious side failed to follow up on a victory and it came back to bite them, hard.

-There's Roman Empire as prime example. They had defeated the Germanic tribes but never followed through (and began recruiting them for calvary). They then didn't respond to massing numbers of people fleeing famine and got overrun.
-Byzantines defeated the Ottomans, (after employing them as mercenaries) but decided they liked them better as a counter-weight to other kingdoms in the area. Big woopsie there.
-The first crusade fell apart after taking jerusalem, and instead of pressing against still-fractured muslim forces, called it a day to enjoy their spoils.
-There's a long history of Chinese states dealing with an immediate barbarian problem, then turning attentions elsewhere and then regretting that decision, Genghis being the chief example.
-I'm reluctant to include Carthage here as when they squandered military advantage it was principally because post-victory they wouldn't have been able to press their advantage or it was so slight they never had a hope of making it to Rome, to say nothing of the general battlefield superiority of Roman land forces.
- Pre-Islam Mecca defeating the Medina army but not pressing the assault, and then getting straight rocked.
edit: Sri Lanka was taken over by Hindi invaders who all but wiped out the native buddists; the buddists were able to rally and remove the invaders after few generations. That's probably the most relevant one, as the Hindi powers would have been able to crush the buddists if they'd put their minds to it, but they were too busy infighting.

Of course that's all established empires falling to invaders.
For rebellions that initially succeed and then fall to a loyalist resurgence there is the English Civil War (though that's more about Cromwell being a gaping asshole on a power trip) and a couple of cases principally in the HRE, which is a little more dubious because they didn't bring down the HRE but were a huge thorn in their side until it fell apart.
I'm also sure there are plenty of cases in Latin America I'm forgetting.

Last edited:

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Last Jedi damaged the brand so badly that they can't even move the merch anymore, I keep seeing and hearing about vast swathes of SW merchandise in stores constantly being put on clearance and almost none of it sells, we're at the point Disney could be offering to pay people to take the merch and they wouldn't be able to move any of it.

But, you know, I see these posts and tweets and so on out in the wild where people talk about getting emotional and crying over TLJ and I feel like I’m a member of an entirely different species. These brand defenders are claiming the movie was ackshually a success (a BILLION dollars) and keep repeating that it was "critically acclaimed" which is a meaningless phrase because for a long time now "film critics" aren't better equipped to judge the merits of films than anyone else...we're not talking about serious critics like Pauline Kael here, we're talking about glorified bloggers and soft-headed dweebs with liberal arts degrees who write in meaningless buzzwords and blurb-talk and have their intellectual energies severely taxed by having to write 250 word reviews of blockbuster films.

We haven't had a functioning movie criticism culture in a long time, there is very little actual critical thought or examination of cinema by film critics, it's mostly a bunch of people who approach film with what boils down to a "I don't know if it's art but I know what I like" dullard attitude. The only real reason for them to exist is that they will often rubber-stamp approval on enough dreck so as not to put off advertisers. "4.5 out of 5" "5 stars!" "90% on Rotten Tomatoes!",.
Certainly doesn't help that the people whining over TLJ's "critical acclaim" are the same people who think Doug Walker is a critic.

-There's Roman Empire as prime example. They had defeated the Germanic tribes but never followed through (and began recruiting them for calvary). They then didn't respond to massing numbers of people fleeing famine and got overrun.
-Byzantines defeated the Ottomans, (after employing them as mercenaries) but decided they liked them better as a counter-weight to other kingdoms in the area. Big woopsie there.
-The first crusade fell apart after taking jerusalem, and instead of pressing against still-fractured muslim forces, called it a day to enjoy their spoils.
-There's a long history of Chinese states dealing with an immediate barbarian problem, then turning attentions elsewhere and then regretting that decision, Genghis being the chief example.
-I'm reluctant to include Carthage here as when they squandered military advantage it was principally because post-victory they wouldn't have been able to press their advantage or it was so slight they never had a hope of making it to Rome, to say nothing of the general battlefield superiority of Roman land forces.
- Pre-Islam Mecca defeating the Medina army but not pressing the assault, and then getting straight rocked.
Those examples are interesting, but I'd argue that most of these deal with people making a miscalculation (such as focusing on the wrong problem or underestimating a certain threat). In many instances, these issues arose after some large empire grew complacant and believed itself "too big to fail", too. When you consider that the New Republic apparently ditched their army while still dealing with threats such as remnants of the Empire as well as the Hutt Cartels and so on, it's still sort of on a different level.
But I'll repeat, the examples are still pretty good.

Tags
None