Stargirl - So Harlequin finished but I still had my subscription...

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
(I've put no spoilers in the opening post)

1594160468812.png

It's more kid-focused that other DC shows but honestly, I can no longer pretend I'm not really enjoying it. If we can have threads on Steven Universe and She-Ra, we might as well have a thread on some good kid's TV.

And honestly, it's more family friendly than anything. It has a real comic book feel. It doesn't go overboard but it's also in no way ashamed to be a comic book story. Which is a nice change after some of the CW shows like Arrow where everything has to be filmed in subdued colours and they have to find ways to make everything realistic. Not that I didn't enjoy early seasons Arrow, but some days you just want to see someone pick up a car.

There are no weak cast members so far. Luke Wilson plays former sidekick and Courtney's step-dad. He's very relatable. Brec Bassinger (Stargirl) is very good and although she's a few years older than her character she plays a fifteen year old really well. She's also obviously athletic despite being kind of tiny. Makes a change to see someone in a role who actually has some compact muscle rather than stick-thin waifs with no muscle tone throwing 6' dudes through the air with an unconvincing punch. On the subject of the action, I really like it. The fight choreography is somewhere around the level of early Arrow but a little bit more super-heroey. Peak fitness humans are able to jump through the air a bit more than is plausible but it stops short of Wire-fu. Again, very much classic comics sort of level. I also really like Stargirl's fighting style. The staff can fly by itself so it acts a bit like a sentient, flying stripper pole (sorry - best analogy I could come up with). There are some nice moves where she'll simply fix it in the air and use it for leverage in a kick. The character is a gymnast which adds a little plausibility to her adeptness and her skill is also lampshaded a bit in the show by contrast with other characters so it doesn't feel over the top.

1594160288041.png

It's done by Geoff Johns who has an excellent pedigree with DC and is also one of the people behind Doom Patrol. Doubt they'll be any cross-overs for a number of reasons but both shows are really well-written. Obviously Stargirl is a lot more wholesome. There's still a lot of dark stuff in there. Character deaths, genuine consequences... but without the underlying cynicism that has pervaded most comicbook stuff since the 90's. I really like being able to just watch something and feel good for once.

On that note, the kids in the show are realistically inexperienced. In a good way. It's fun seeing the mix of courage, innovation and stupidity they come up with.

Pros:
  • Pretty good fight choreography once it gets going.
  • Fun characters
  • Actual stakes and consequences.
  • Tonnes of call-outs and easter eggs for serious DC fans.
  • Sportsmaster. (Simultaneously the dumbest and coolest villain in DC)
  • Highschool drama takes a backseat to battling evil. Sort of the anti-Buffy.
  • Likeable leads.
  • Already renewed for Season 2
Cons:
  • Uses the trope of "loser" kids for people who are obviously not. Though in at least one case it does have a plausible reason for it which you find out later.
  • Can sort of see where the plot is going.
  • Cyndy's mom Hella creeps me out.

Good wholesome DC fun.

1594162181605.png

Last edited:

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
I'm going to avoid any actual spoilers still, but am going to start talking a little about the characters. Fair warning.

From what I’ve heard this is the only live action DC series to get Grundy right which is a big plus. Also has the JSA in it so that’s pretty neat
We've seen very little of Grundy yet and when we do it's been at night or underground. I think they're saving him for some big "oh shit!" moment but the moments we have seen of him sure look good. He's BIG. I tell you that. And he has the worst posture.

And yes - the JSA are always there in the background. The plot revolves around them even though they are only seen in flashbacks or old media. I actually don't know the JSA very well so there are things I still don't know like what's the deal with that giggling pen. But it's really neat seeing these old school heroes. We see Green Lantern's Lantern and it's early version with his lantern and ring combo. It's almost like Watchmen in that it's this generational story. Less nudity, of course.

Sportsmaster actually made me interested Young Justice legit made that character an awesome villain.
Yep. YJ really turned that character from a joke into something actually cool to watch. This version isn't the same - he's slightly more flippant, slightly more obsessive. But there's the same absurd awesomeness about the character. And whilst Spiderman has to spend weeks on his costume and some supers need their unique, hard to replace gadgets, Sportsmaster can suit up in any mall in America at a moment's notice. Any time, anywhere. Maybe he's not so dumb after all.

Also, actual very minor spoiler:
His parenting skills are every bit as tremendously awful in this as they were in YJ.

Dang Woodchucks!

Bravery is not a function of firepower.
kiwifarms.net
From what I’ve heard this is the only live action DC series to get Grundy right which is a big plus. Also has the JSA in it so that’s pretty neat
I know I shit on DC a lot on the Harley Quin thread, but live-action Grundy?

Guess im getting to watch this.

Dang Woodchucks!

Bravery is not a function of firepower.
kiwifarms.net
It cant be worse than the arrowverse version which was Grundy in name only and the Gotham version which is just.. no.
Yeah, that ties in to the whole "srs n' gritty" retardation the first couple seasons of Arrow went (which was doubly retarded as the Miracle super steroid definitely blows the "realism" out of the water), but I see this as a retcon and trying to make up for it.

Gotham's "attempt" though... that's a war crime.

Reactions: Oats12345

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
So is this a cw show or a DC streaming service show
It's sort of a CW show but there's been nothing to tie it into the Arrow-Flash-Supergirl-Batwoman continuum. Nor, I suppose given that it airs on DC Universe, to Titans or Doom Patrol. They've left it open enough that they could do a cross-over if they wanted with any of them if they wanted to. It would be a little jarring but they could pull it off. It's clear that superheroes are a known thing in the Stargirl universe from various dialogue. But they haven't referenced Superman, Batman or all that stuff explicitly.

All that said, the show is apparently being put on the CW network or something for Season 2 so there are a lot of suggestions that it will go from DC Universe and that DC Universe will in fact lose it. Nobody knows right now.

Also, regards the actual show this is getting surprisingly dark and effective. But thankfully not in a grimey, edgy way. For all that the show is done in broad strokes, it's very good. Edging in on Doom Patrol, in fact. (But please nobody go in expecting Doom Patrol - they're very different shows).

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
It's sort of a CW show but there's been nothing to tie it into the Arrow-Flash-Supergirl-Batwoman continuum. Nor, I suppose given that it airs on DC Universe, to Titans or Doom Patrol. They've left it open enough that they could do a cross-over if they wanted with any of them if they wanted to. It would be a little jarring but they could pull it off. It's clear that superheroes are a known thing in the Stargirl universe from various dialogue. But they haven't referenced Superman, Batman or all that stuff explicitly.

All that said, the show is apparently being put on the CW network or something for Season 2 so there are a lot of suggestions that it will go from DC Universe and that DC Universe will in fact lose it. Nobody knows right now.

Also, regards the actual show this is getting surprisingly dark and effective. But thankfully not in a grimey, edgy way. For all that the show is done in broad strokes, it's very good. Edging in on Doom Patrol, in fact. (But please nobody go in expecting Doom Patrol - they're very different shows).
It going to CW may as well fucking ruin it. From what I’ve heard Supergirl didn’t really start going to shit until it was moved to the CW.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
It going to CW may as well fucking ruin it. From what I’ve heard Supergirl didn’t really start going to shit until it was moved to the CW.
I think that's right from what I recall. I remember it being alright when it started. The lead actress was very good in it. Then at some point it went from "hero who is a woman" to "women rock, men are either weak and good or strong (but really weak) and bad". I think I lasted till around when Calista Flockheart gave a speech about how they could save the world because they didn't have penises and checked out for good.

Stargirl is way better though. Everyone feels like a real person, not a political statement with flesh wrapped around it.

The Shadow

I am NOT a crackpot.
kiwifarms.net
It's a fun show so far. I like that they really went all out and made Dragon King a full on pulpy/serial style villain. I was kind of dreading that they'd neuter the character for woke points but BAM, he's a Japanese war criminal in a getup that would make The Crimson Ghost jealous.

Reactions: Overly Serious

GeorgiaGuidestones

Go cry to someone else lol
kiwifarms.net
I’m enjoying this show. It’s a fun watch and a nice change from the usual superhero crap. Will CW ruin it? Probably, but I’ll enjoy what we’ve got so far.

Icicle and his son make some of the best scenes in the show along with the Dragon King.

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm sick of Marvel and DC gender bending characters.
There's no way that this "Star Girl" is as cool as the original Star Boy was...
And I bet she doesn't have a sidekick like the Captain of Outer Space.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
It's a fun show so far. I like that they really went all out and made Dragon King a full on pulpy/serial style villain. I was kind of dreading that they'd neuter the character for woke points but BAM, he's a Japanese war criminal in a getup that would make The Crimson Ghost jealous.
Dragon King is really good. It's even better that I don't even know what his powers are or if he even has any (please don't spoil it for me with comics knowledge). Just how he talks, the way the ISA react to him and his 'wife' are enough to sell me on him as a genuinely horrible villain.

I’m enjoying this show. It’s a fun watch and a nice change from the usual superhero crap. Will CW ruin it? Probably, but I’ll enjoy what we’ve got so far.

Icicle and his son make some of the best scenes in the show along with the Dragon King.
Icicle is truly menacing. In the first episode it felt a little weird to me that Icicle was the uber-villain because I knew him mainly from DC animated stuff and his powers just didn't seem impressive enough to set him up above Brainwave. But he's a tactician and a leader from the moment he returns to Blue Valley and has that conversation with The Wizard. Very well cast. I love this weird Norwegian connection thing that is going on. Like, is he descended from ice giants or something? WTF!

I'm sick of Marvel and DC gender bending characters.
There's no way that this "Star Girl" is as cool as the original Star Boy was...
And I bet she doesn't have a sidekick like the Captain of Outer Space.
She has a sidekick called Stripesy. He was sidekick to the original Starman back in the day. I mean, I presume you're joking when you complain about genderbending the character, but...

GeorgiaGuidestones

Go cry to someone else lol
kiwifarms.net
Icicle is truly menacing. In the first episode it felt a little weird to me that Icicle was the uber-villain because I knew him mainly from DC animated stuff and his powers just didn't seem impressive enough to set him up above Brainwave. But he's a tactician and a leader from the moment he returns to Blue Valley and has that conversation with The Wizard. Very well cast. I love this weird Norwegian connection thing that is going on. Like, is he descended from ice giants or something? WTF!
That one scene in the diner where the waitress was mistaken about whose birthday they were celebrating was heartbreaking. Very well acted and believable. The Norwegian thing is interesting and I can’t wait to see where that goes.

• Feels

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
Sorry for double-post but latest episode aired yesterday. I now unironically declare this my favourite comic book show. Doom Patrol is fantastic and I love it; but I love the straight-forward, honest-to-goodness old-fashioned two-fisted heroism of this show. The last time I saw a show that so unashamedly enjoyed being a comic book show was Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Which was very different (and animated) but shared the openly Good Guys fight Bad Guys because they're good narrative.

The lead is fantastic in the show, the fight scene against Dragon King was absolutely great super-hero combat. Different in style to early Arrow in that it's more obviously heroic / comic book, but superb nonetheless.

Also: Shiv screaming "Let me out - I want to kill her. Let ME kill her, daddddyyyy!" cracks me up.

Anyone who needs to watch something because they enjoy it rather than because they're just looking for something to watch, I wholeheartedly recommend this show. I am actually looking forward to each episode.

sg1.jpg

1595319878248.png

1595319895700.png

Tags
None