State of the Board - Articles & Happening Meta Discussion

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Articles & Happenings is the third attempt at a news board on the Kiwi Farms. It is a cursed place. Every moderator who has been assigned here has resigned within a year. During 2016, the political crossfire was so bad it spread to different boards and culminated in me banning American news discussion entirely for several months. It has been deleted in its entirety twice. There is no actual discussion here, it's people posting garbage. It leans much further right than the rest of the site and doesn't particularly conduct discussion because dissenting opinions are dogpiled by a thousand memelords posting shit they read on /pol/ without any critical analysis.

The only rules that can be enforced are empirical ones with boolean violation answers. New threads must cite a real source directly and must use the headline of the article as a thread title without any editorializing. Articles must be archived in some way and must link to the original article. Replies that are one word or a reaction images are automatic one-month bans from the board.

I'm creating this now because it seems like this place is here to stay and is one of the largest areas of the entire site. I might as well throw in bare minimum effort to improve it. I don't even try to find mods for here because they will quit, without exception. I've added new prefixes ("Business" and "Crime") just now.

Discuss.

New threads should be made like this.
1570266734258.png

Last edited:

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
since a&h is basically becoming or is a containment zone why not do what 8ch did and also create containment sections within a&h such as lefty pol or regular pol euro pol so that people don't complain so much about muh opinion is not represented
Because that's stupid. People have to learn how to talk to each other. I'd encourage more dissenting opinions more than anything. Think Greta Thunberg is right? Go on. Say it. Dynastia was great at this.

HumanHive

Human behavior is exceptional behavior.
kiwifarms.net
since a&h is basically becoming or is a containment zone why not do what 8ch did and also create containment sections within a&h such as lefty pol or regular pol euro pol so that people don't complain so much about muh opinion is not represented
Containment threads/boards increase tribalism and intolerance to disagreement, not decrease it.

Adolf Honkler

kiwifarms.net
Disclaimer: I'm probably one of the users you describe, so take your pinch of salt and apply from here on out.

It's important to have a place for people to share news, so removing the board entirely is not a good idea IMO. Focus on providing balance. It's hard to enforce via rules because it seems bias and someone on some side of the aisle will dislike the measures you take. However even outside of rules I'm sure it's possible to find some balance given a bit of time and trying. The site has people from all sides and they do tend to seem to get along more often than not, even in the context of this particular board.

I like to keep up with the news and this board in particular has a lot of good contributors who find interesting stories. Right now it's mostly on the right hand side so maybe a lefty could step up in posting interesting content from their side of the fence to achieve some balance.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe have more megathreads to contain some of the worst topics, and make a hard rule regarding posting culture war bullshit that belongs in threads about useless shit. There's good threads here and there, you just have to bow out when threads start getting to the fourth and fifth pages and it's just played out.

Subreddits are literally totalitarian containment boards and circlejerks where any dissent is banned and ridiculed.
Well, that's A&H too.

YayLasagna

Drooling from above you
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe start making it a guideline to keep politics out of A&H. I know, I know, politics is news too. But most people here can't seem to keep from going off the rails and larping as /pol/ posters on almost every thread. I know in another response on this thread you said that people need to learn to have actual discussion, but for once i'm going to stop being so optimistic and outright say that with the current userbase on this board, it is simply not possible.
As a side note I got a good laugh out of the fact that your second sentence was "It is a cursed place."

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino