Steam Officially Adds LGBTQ+ Tag and Hub Page For Games

Gamers?

• Total voters

Pablo Escobar

Hello, DEA? Is your fridge running?
kiwifarms.net
I miss that week when Steam introduced tags and the users started making them all memes and insults. Gone Home was tagged "walking simulator" and Metal Gear Rising had "nanomachines son"

Edit: I looked into it more. Gone Home was tagged "hipster garbage" and Fez was tagged "choking hazard". I fucking love Steam users.

AnOminous

when you find a stranger in the Alps
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss that week when Steam introduced tags and the users started making them all memes and insults. Gone Home was tagged "walking simulator" and Metal Gear Rising had "nanomachines son"

Edit: I looked into it more. Gone Home was tagged "hipster garbage" and Fez was tagged "choking hazard". I fucking love Steam users.

There's a reason Steam is still the choice of gamers, despite being a malevolent, evil monopoly most of us were literally forced to start using because of Half-Life 2 by these face hugging bastards, at least the boomers among us who can remember that.

And seriously if it weren't for this thread I seriously doubt the vast majority of the people complaining about this dumb tag would have even noticed it unless they actually deliberately went looking for buttsecks simulators. Because they're gay.

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You could argue that one of the tags glorifies mental illness (at least the TQ+ part..) while the other one doesn't.

On the bright side the tag can be used to avoid such stuff, I guess.

Seriously, that. Now you have a user-applied tag that can be used to filter out things you don't want to see. Or the opposite if you do.

Where is the problem?

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unless they start adding it to things like the GTA franchise just because of shit like Trevor being a giant pervert who fucks literally anything he can get his dick into.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Seriously, that. Now you have a user-applied tag that can be used to filter out things you don't want to see. Or the opposite if you do.

Where is the problem?
I'd say it's in the tag being so broad. As the Farms amply demonstrates, almost everything fits into the acronym if you allow Tumblr rules, making the tag pretty useless. Also, people looking for lesbian content aren't likely looking for gay content and vice versa even if it isn't just about yuri and yaoi. And as @JoshPlz points out, depending on how liberally the tag is applied, a user might be fine with LGB content (which could be stuck on all sorts of games that have a gay character somewhere) but less fine with T/other content (which, mostly based on reading @Jaimas' reviews, entirely occurs in terrible games, Mass Effect: Andromeda definitely not being an exception).

So it really depends on whether it gets stamped on all the games that could possibly have LGBT content, which would include things like Skyrim, several GTAs and Cyberpunk 2077, or whether it will be more targeted towards things like the 'visual poem' wankery from the article. To me, the tag is as useful as the acronym LGBT+ itself - I'd appreciate the information given if it weren't so broad a classification as to be essentially meaningless in terms of actual content.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You're right. They should just label things like: Lesbian, Trans, Queer, Gay, Bisexual and an LGBTQ for something that incorporates everything. Oh! Or a Same-Sex Relationship tag for games that aren't focused on the homo but have some gay in them

Jaimas

H O N K
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd say it's in the tag being so broad. As the Farms amply demonstrates, almost everything fits into the acronym if you allow Tumblr rules, making the tag pretty useless. Also, people looking for lesbian content aren't likely looking for gay content and vice versa even if it isn't just about yuri and yaoi. And as @JoshPlz points out, depending on how liberally the tag is applied, a user might be fine with LGB content (which could be stuck on all sorts of games that have a gay character somewhere) but less fine with T/other content (which, mostly based on reading @Jaimas' reviews, entirely occurs in terrible games, Mass Effect: Andromeda definitely not being an exception).

So it really depends on whether it gets stamped on all the games that could possibly have LGBT content, which would include things like Skyrim, several GTAs and Cyberpunk 2077, or whether it will be more targeted towards things like the 'visual poem' wankery from the article. To me, the tag is as useful as the acronym LGBT+ itself - I'd appreciate the information given if it weren't so broad a classification as to be essentially meaningless in terms of actual content.

The problem is not that there's gay or trans people in vidya.
It's that the SJW way of handling said characters makes them fucking suck.

If you have a trans character who, for the most part, passes acceptibly, and doesn't make any big deal about their trans status, typically because it's not the most important aspect of their character (a good example being Stephanie from Orphen), then the SocJus clowns will make the argument that the character isn't trans or may as well be Cis, and/or that it offends because passing privilege. If you have a character that does not pass effectively, like say, Thomas from Deadly Premonition, then you will hear never-ending complaints about exploitation for their presence (since the audience can tell they're trans at a glance), oppression for their inclusion, and, if they are ever in some way shown in a negative light in-game, they are treated as some giant smear against the trans community (because the community that spawned Laurelai and Zinnia and Sophie Labelle really needs the help).

The only option this leaves those who would write a trans character and remain on Social Justice's good side has is the fucking Mizhena gambit, where they look perfectly normal and then have their trans status is crowbarred in via dialogue.

So either you massively fuck up the quality of the writing in your work of fiction, or attract the ceaseless complaining of the mouth-breathing shitheads who wouldn't know proper characterization if it swam up their girldicks like an Amazonian river fish. Because of this, most consumers can usually see the "T" in "LGBT+" and know there's a high probability that the writing is going to suck ass.

JoshPlz

Patron Saint of Good Boys
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The problem is not that there's gay or trans people in vidya.
It's that the SJW way of handling said characters makes them fucking suck.

If you have a trans character who, for the most part, passes acceptibly, and doesn't make any big deal about their trans status, typically because it's not the most important aspect of their character (a good example being Stephanie from Orphen), then the SocJus clowns will make the argument that the character isn't trans or may as well be Cis, and/or that it offends because passing privilege. If you have a character that does not pass effectively, like say, Thomas from Deadly Premonition, then you will hear never-ending complaints about exploitation for their presence (since the audience can tell they're trans at a glance), oppression for their inclusion, and, if they are ever in some way shown in a negative light in-game, they are treated as some giant smear against the trans community (because the community that spawned Laurelai and Zinnia and Sophie Labelle really needs the help).

The only option this leaves those who would write a trans character and remain on Social Justice's good side has is the fucking Mizhena gambit, where they look perfectly normal and then have their trans status is crowbarred in via dialogue.

So either you massively fuck up the quality of the writing in your work of fiction, or attract the ceaseless complaining of the mouth-breathing shitheads who wouldn't know proper characterization if it swam up their girldicks like an Amazonian river fish. Because of this, most consumers can usually see the "T" in "LGBT+" and know there's a high probability that the writing is going to suck ass.
You are absolutely right.

Eventhough it's way too rare, there have indeed been games that managed to contain gay characters without being completely preachy, obnoxious and annoying about it.
Simply by portraying them as completely normal people, instead of making a big deal out of it and forcefully shoving it into the players faces.

I remember Fallout 3 (and/or New Vegas) and The Elder Scrolls Online as good examples.
I actually managed to completely miss the fact in ESO, until I read about it later.

Thats how you get people to get used to and accept LGB stuff. Not by constantly provoking and moralfagging about it.

Safir

目が覚めて落ちぶれろ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I looked at the tag. Most of it is titty games and weeb titty games.

Things you might want to not miss:

Monster High is the bestselling comedy dating sim. It's not gay, it's sex-agnostic; there's no faggotry if you don't pursue a character of the same sex - well, I suppose if you play it as a competitive game against other people, being gold star straight does limit your strategic options, but that's it. No trannies or tumblrgenders.

Timespinner is a decent-looking metroidvania I haven't played yet. Haven't seen it woke-marketed, so I'm not going to spoil myself. (I play metroidvanias for the plot, it keeps me motivated.)

Kindred Spirits on the Roof (lesbian weeb VN) and Coming Out on Top (gay meme VN) I've seen praised by kiwis.

Redshirt has zero romantic content, it's a spreadsheet simulator... okay, you might want to miss that one. But it doesn't belong on the tag.

Wendy Carter

When I am still, it is as lifeless as Abigail.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unless they start adding it to things like the GTA franchise just because of shit like Trevor being a giant pervert who fucks literally anything he can get his dick into.
I personally very much doubt it. Trevor's perviness is just one trait of a single character in a game with dozens of them and a million things one could do. It's like calling the original Painkiller a horror game because of one level set in a dimly-lit asylum with spooky enemies in it.

Edit: Besides, transtrenders wouldn't want to be related to someone as uncouth as Trevor. Doing so would imply that LGBT people are depraved sex perverts, and they've been fighting this notion for a long while now.

Last edited:

Jaimas

H O N K
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I'm actually all about inclusion. I love it when it's done well, and not forced.
The problem of course is that these days it's rarely done well, and almost always forced.

Trans representation has always been kind of rare in vidya. Less so in animu, but still rare. And there's a reason for it: Actual transgendered people are comparatively rare, with Cyberpunk 2077 being easily the biggest title to have overt inclusion. Going back through my collection, I could really only find a handful of examples of good games with a transgendered character: Deadly Premonition, Chrono Trigger, and Nier: Drakengard being the first to come to mind. One where the character's trans status isn't clear until close to the end of the game, one where it's sort of a gray area and on a minor character to boot, and one that I can only clear on a technicality. I also remembered Resident Evil: Dead Aim, but that's a mediocre game. There's more visible ones like Final Fight and Paper Mario and Mario 2, of course, and there's always games with character creators where you can make a trans character.

The issue, of course, is that the overpowering majority of trans characters these days come from the Social Justice sphere now, where they will either be characters like Stephie from Assigned Male (wherein being trans is their only character trait) or shoehorned in and pushed to the front for maximum woke points. It fucking sucks.

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thats how you get people to get used to and accept LGB stuff. Not by constantly provoking and moralfagging about it.

I think that's actually the issue with some of these people though. People more or less have gotten over the gay thing and even people who don't approve of it don't care much, so the normie gays whose issue was basically "hey don't just beat the shit out of me because you see me holding hands with my boyfriend" no longer has an issue.

But the people who solely get into activism to offend people have to take ever more extreme positions just for anyone even to pay attention.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The issue, of course, is that the overpowering majority of trans characters these days come from the Social Justice sphere now, where they will either be characters like Stephie from Assigned Male (wherein being trans is their only character trait) or shoehorned in and pushed to the front for maximum woke points. It fucking sucks.
Exactly this. It's not about having a problem with gay characters, it's having a problem with bad characters, and characters who are written entirely for diversity points or for wokeness are only ever good by accident.

I think you're being unfair to Stephie, though. He's not only trans - he's also an authoritarian asshole Mary Sue. Such a great character that LaBelle doesn't even know that about his own creation!

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think you're being unfair to Stephie, though. He's not only trans - he's also an authoritarian asshole Mary Sue. Such a great character that LaBelle doesn't even know that about his own creation!

That strip is a perfect example of the kind of propaganda that enrages people to take the opposite position because it's just so offensive and awful.

Miles Peterson

kiwifarms.net
Valve keeps removing tags like walking simulator and unity engine.

Apparently it makes Devs have bad Feefees

That strikes me as the main issue with this (aside from this potentially becoming another step toward some kind of tvtropes-eqsue hell where every game has a mile long list of tags that cover every possible aspect of gameplay and plot and whatever), in that valve is trumpting this for woke points while not doing things that are actually helpful for customers.

If you have a trans character who, for the most part, passes acceptibly, and doesn't make any big deal about their trans status, typically because it's not the most important aspect of their character (a good example being Stephanie from Orphen), then the SocJus clowns will make the argument that the character isn't trans or may as well be Cis, and/or that it offends because passing privilege.

Wasn't that the issue with...who was it, Cora or someone from mass effect?