Steve1989MREInfo / Steve1989 / Steve Thomas - that guy that eats old MREs

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
kiwifarms.net
Steve seems to be the kind of guy who manages to find a positive in most situations. I mean, for most ration packs, even the old ones - he'll find *something* to get excited about or try to get some good from it. He very rarely pans any of the rations he gets unless they genuinely are bad. Heck even the ones most people would say no to , steve will still coo over. I mean the guy tried to get something out of 100+ year old beef.

I did notice on one of the older videos, he's gone back to note he's no longer associated with the MRE museum or something. Wonder what happened there.
Sometimes personalities clash through no fault of anyone and it's better to just go their separate ways. I grant I'm biased here -- Steve seems to be amazingly calm, almost zen, and I can't imagine him getting worked up for a petty reason.

Also, looking up 'MRE Museum', I assume you mean these people? Because their website seems VERY barebones and under 'Our Staff' they don't have anyone listed. I wonder if Steve saw something that didn't pass the smell test and decided to jump ship before he got caught up in it.

An Ghost

Of Christmas yet to cum
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i lol'd when he said it smelled like onion and BO. that's how you know it's french.

"this is oxidized meat and is not edible. I'll just touch it to my tongue. Just the tip."
*tastes meat tube and audibly gags*
"That is not edible. Or if it is it's fooling me."
STEVE STOP GIVING THE SPOILED MEAT THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT

edit: he buys 2 since the first one was in bad shape. 2nd isnt much better.
says "No way im gonna try this rotten candy bar. NO WAY.... well maybe..." and he eats it, says its gross, and goes back for more. it's one thing to be positive but damn dude.

Last edited:

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
I did notice on one of the older videos, he's gone back to note he's no longer associated with the MRE museum or something. Wonder what happened there.

I don't think he's ever officially said what happened, but this Reddit post includes a comment from someone other than Steve who claims that the museum was acting shady (not paying, no contact, etc.). I'd guess that was the reason, but I think the entirety of his public statement was that he resigned as VP and is no longer associated with them.

Capsaicin Addict

kiwifarms.net
I don't think he's ever officially said what happened, but this Reddit post includes a comment from someone other than Steve who claims that the museum was acting shady (not paying, no contact, etc.). I'd guess that was the reason, but I think the entirety of his public statement was that he resigned as VP and is no longer associated with them.
That, combined with the state of the website, would make me suspicious too. Good call on his part if he punched out.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
> Be a French pilot.
> Your plane goes down in the Pacific.
> Take solace in still having a survival ration.
> As you pull it out, you hear a pop inside. Everything is meat.
> Every food item inside is rancid because French haven't mastered the technique of sealing supplies.
> Eat it anyways because you are a French.
In the mid 20th century, they had a notoriously bad tinned ration situation. I have recently been reading about the situation of the French expeditionary force in Indochina during the early 1950s.

"We lived on rubbish - fish heads and rice. We were parachuted in some food once, and we could see that the tins had been overpainted. A friend got hold of a tin and made a hole in it with his bayonet. A sort of green mist flew out. I scraped off this painted layer... [underneath] it said in French, "For Arab Troops, 1928". "
-Eric Morgan, an English-speaking legionnaire of the 2nd Foreign Infantry Regiment

Luckily they got American WW2 vintage K rations in combat.

stupidpieceofshit

Panzer Vor, Motherfuckers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In the mid 20th century, they had a notoriously bad tinned ration situation. I have recently been reading about the situation of the French expeditionary force in Indochina during the early 1950s.

"We lived on rubbish - fish heads and rice. We were parachuted in some food once, and we could see that the tins had been overpainted. A friend got hold of a tin and made a hole in it with his bayonet. A sort of green mist flew out. I scraped off this painted layer... [underneath] it said in French, "For Arab Troops, 1928". "
-Eric Morgan, an English-speaking legionnaire of the 2nd Foreign Infantry Regiment

Luckily they got American WW2 vintage K rations in combat.
That reminds me of how US rations were in the Spanish-American war
If you are in the US PBS has a show that covered it lightly

If Steve some how gets a hold of a tin of Spanish-American era war meat tin, may God have mercy on him.

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
> Be a French pilot.
> Your plane goes down in the Pacific.
> Take solace in still having a survival ration.
> As you pull it out, you hear a pop inside. Everything is meat.
> Every food item inside is rancid because French haven't mastered the technique of sealing supplies.
> Eat it anyways because you are a French.
That meat tube has to be one of the worst items I've seen in a ration. It would almost inevitably burst open and leak rotting horrible filth all over everything.

GentlemanFaggot

I got in...
kiwifarms.net

I'm not surprised, honestly. The Ration Museum seemed like it was never going to open up and something seemed sketchy.

It's a shame because I think it's a cool idea and the US is a gold mine of niche museums like this, so it would fit in really well.

Rosechu's Pickle

Rosechu's true and honest genitalia
kiwifarms.net

The holy grail, pizza.

Also seconding everyone who loves his voice.
I've actually had this MRE before. The pizza is good (like pizza left on the counter overnight), but unfortunately the rest of the meal isn't as filling compared to other menus.

Personally, I'm a chicken chunks fan

Steve also tried a ration from the 2nd boer war (1899-1902)

Last edited:

stupidpieceofshit

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've actually had this MRE before. The pizza is good (like pizza left on the counter overnight), but unfortunately the rest of the meal isn't as filling compared to other menus.

I got my hands on the MRE pizza before it came to US Rations (Norway's freeze dried ration had/s a chance of getting that as a side), and I have had it since, it reminds me of the type of pizza US Public Schools in the 90s would have only...a bit worse (but that isn't saying much). Dear lord you better have a way to heat it up, I couldn't eat it cold.

Rosechu's Pickle

Rosechu's true and honest genitalia
kiwifarms.net
I got my hands on the MRE pizza before it came to US Rations (Norway's freeze dried ration had/s a chance of getting that as a side), and I have had it since, it reminds me of the type of pizza US Public Schools in the 90s would have only...a bit worse (but that isn't saying much). Dear lord you better have a way to heat it up, I couldn't eat it cold.

I too have had that bridgeford pizza. The MRE pizza is leagues above that one, probably because the former uses soy protein instead of real meat.

About the heating, I don't really bother using the heaters that come with MREs since they take some time to heat up. Also I like to save them for when i'm freezing my ass off in a patrol base.

stupidpieceofshit

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I too have had that bridgeford pizza. The MRE pizza is leagues above that one, probably because the former uses soy protein instead of real meat.

About the heating, I don't really bother using the heaters that come with MREs since they take some time to heat up. Also I like to save them for when i'm freezing my ass off in a patrol base.
I think I just realized I only ever had the Bridgeford one, the Pizza one is always sold out when ever I look for it, I just ordered a pizza one and Beef Strips in Tomato sauce, which also has just been added.

stupidpieceofshit

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What did the beef strips replace? I know italian sausage replaced one of the hash brown menus.
I assume the Beef strips replaced the Asian Beef strips.
Also any idea where one can get their hands on the Italian sausage with Onions and Peppers? Every place I look doesn't carry it.

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
1606008450953.png

This is actually much closer to 3 weeks since this post and the videos have still not been posted.

Has it happened gents? Did the botulism finally win?

Capsaicin Addict

kiwifarms.net
Eh, Steve only uploads in batches often months apart between batches so I either suspect hes been busy with his job, or recording didn't go as expected?
A little of column A and B. The economy being about as stable as a lolcow on hallucinogens probably doesn't help either.