Steve1989MREInfo / Steve1989 / Steve Thomas - that guy that eats old MREs

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Has anyone managed to perfect the Holy Grail of MREs? I speak, of course, of pizza.
I know the US military got them recently in limited runs - but problems (I think mold was it) eventually discontinued production.

Difficult and improbable, but I bet someone clever (perhaps here?) could crack that code...

It is. One of the big issues the U.S. had with MREs early on was that there were only four to choose from initially. Things have thankfully improved since then. People hate to eat the same thing, day in and day out.
Well even during World War 2 the troops would gripe about food rations, even the American's who had the best rations weren't above the monotony of eating C rations every day. The biggest draw was the cigarettes and the chocolate, and those were mainly used as barter goods. The post war crash economy in Germany was run on cigarettes and chocolate for a time.

iirc, the reason the PLA's MREs are so shitty is that the PLA is still heavily reliant on frontline field kitchens to feed soldiers on maneuvers. Their MREs are performing a closer function to other countries' emergency survival rations.
That's true, but the fact that they seem to be beyond quality control really just drives home the fact that in China the quality of life for the soldier/personnel is the least concern when putting together a ration.

They're staggeringly worse than those, too, though, often to the point of being outright inedible garbage.

Like this:

It's from 2018 and is one of the few that literally made Steve sick.

ETA: I forgot how bad this is. Honestly, it's worse than some gore I've seen.
It really looks like shit, I mean. The Japanese rations looked completely unoriginal with two separate rice dishes, but at least they managed to get the components right and the quality control right. I'm surprised Steve had the gusto to even try this, Chinese goods made for the foreign market are poor enough in quality, let alone things made by the Chinese for the Chinese.

I'm thinking that 'shelf stabilized omelet' just does not work, no matter if you're Canada or the U.S. -- and mind you, our northern neighbors managed to put poutine in their MREs.
Honestly, it's "Poutine" so called, but no self respecting Canadian would ever claim that abomination was poutine. They attempted something, but in reality it's potato shards in a gravy stew. I wouldn't have had the moxy to call it a poutine if I'd been designing it.

Understood. That doesn't excuse rotten meat. That wasn't 'chlorophyll', that was rot. I hope Steve doesn't have brain worms from that shit.
Central Planning at it's finest.

Every country has such interesting ideas that can/should be adapted. Ginseng (and maybe their neat Gatorade pouch?) from the Chinese, thicker tack crackers from the russians (or maybe their tea-light heating kit?), that lovely loaf of bread from the Canadians, the tard cum whey candies from the Yugoslavians, etc...

I would like to research and develop a better meal kit for the troops. More natural, less nitrates and MSG (but with vitamins and minerals that working troops need). Too bad it's such a 'connected' racket...
I'm not surprised, there really isn't any level of quality control with the PLA rations, they're likely mass produced and considering that they're made in China it's not that far of a stretch that they probably knew they go bad and still kept them or distributed them. This is the country that cannot control gutter fat ending up in it's food cycle, even in well respected restaurants, so it's not surprising.

I wonder what Steve could come up with if he actually had to design a ration? He's got to be an expert at this point.

Chive Turkey

kiwifarms.net
I love the little cultural differences between countries you can observe from the way they do MREs. European nations can get almost laughably decadent (the Italians get a shot of fucking brandy in their breakfast ration), with the notable exception of the Dutch, who just tossed a bunch of discount Lidl products in a box and called it a day. Then there's the chinks who just feed their soldier ants bricks of nutrient paste, with loving descriptions like 'Bar, Type II'.

GentlemanFaggot

I got in...
kiwifarms.net
I love the little cultural differences between countries you can observe from the way they do MREs. European nations can get almost laughably decadent (the Italians get a shot of fucking brandy in their breakfast ration), with the notable exception of the Dutch, who just tossed a bunch of discount Lidl products in a box and called it a day. Then there's the chinks who just feed their soldier ants bricks of nutrient paste, with loving descriptions like 'Bar, Type II'.
The Spanish and the French MREs looked like legitimately good meals! It's crazy seeing that in an MRE!

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
inorite?
The US seems to have a near-A rating on it's MREs, but there's always improvement... I only criticize the crazy amount of MSG and other food dyes/chemicals in those things. I'm not a naturalist or an 'organic' food person, but Jesus, the ingredient lists are as long as my arm.
Anyway,
After watching and investigating the Menu 23 - Pepperoni Pizza MRE vid, seems like not only is that thing a classic, it's a Legend. Is there anything that MRE has that isn't an ABSOLUTE win? No wonder troops will sell a nut for it. Survival stores can't keep it in stock.

Tags
None