Steven Universe -

Private Pyle

I am...in a world...of shit.
kiwifarms.net
Interrupting your scheduled broadcast to bring you a Variety article looking back at SU, with Sugar herself.
Couple of highlights:
-The CN exces wanted Steven to shatter Spinel to get rid of her evil forever but Sugar fought against that because that’s not what SU is about. So instead they shoved her off with the Diamonds and ignored her for 16 episodes.
-Ever since SU aired, female employment is at 52% and employees are younger than ever. Which isn’t too bad...until you remember many young and inexperienced artists worked on PPG 2016 and the later seasons of SU.
-“In addition to a bright color palette and silly playfulness, “Steven Universe” boasts a mythological spine that could wow a Tolkienologist.” I’m sorry but my face scrunched up like I ate a lemon when I read this part. I’m not so sure Tolkien fans would be wowed with SU’s world building.
-Much of the article is then dedicated to it’s LGBT themes and how Sugar was a queer child who wanted to reach out to other queer children. She entertains the thought of going into adult animation but kid shows are more fun to work on. “I think they’re such a great audience. Their imaginations are so huge. It’s difficult to imagine giving up an audience that’s so open, and so imaginative that you can throw wild concepts in, and wild visuals in, and have your audience be really immersed. I just really love doing this work.”

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm kind of reminded of an old episode of the Super Best Friends podcast where Pat was talking about watching Steven Universe but he described it as reading a DBZ fanfic until everybody else caught onto what he was talking about. People have brought in other sci-fi franchises to compare SU to but DBZ is the most accurate comparison, except instead of fight scenes that kids and fanboys lose their minds over, it's emotional confrontations, which leaves it in this sort of no-man's land as far as appeal to children.

IdaRita

draw problematic pretty ppl
kiwifarms.net
Ever since SU aired, female employment is at 52% and employees are younger than ever.
In moments like this, I'm curious what with older employers. This really sound like they are fired for statistics. Especially because this 52% increase is made in only 5 years.
It reminds me of this Animation Magazine article: https://www.animationmagazine.net/people/four-years-in-nfb-keeps-meeting-gender-parity-goals/

And don't get me wrong - if staff is too stagnant/older it's also not good and can result in completly missing what kids are into etc... but such drastic number increases in just 4 years...
I'm a female animator/motion designer and it just seems wrong.

and "I want to reach queer kids" fragment just solidify my opinion that SU evolved into a very specific show for very specific audience, when you are not a queer kid, you have nothing to search for in this series.

PopRocks

WANNA BEEE done with this bs
kiwifarms.net
I'm aware it takes a lot of inspiration from other 90's anime; as someone who got into anime in the late 90's, the influences are pretty obvious. It's just that DBZ feels like it's the most influential over Steven Universe in terms of pacing, storytelling and progression, which is ironic because it couldn't be more different tonally.
Eh, not really. While I get the whole pacing meme for DBZ, I feel like there's at least some form of progression with every episode of DBZ, even if it's just filler. Not to mention, they only had to stretch it out so the anime didn't get caught up to manga too quickly. Which makes SU's pacing all the more frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: Shokew

Archeops

Whispering seeds of doubt into the ears of troons
kiwifarms.net
Interrupting your scheduled broadcast to bring you a Variety article looking back at SU, with Sugar herself.
Couple of highlights:
-The CN exces wanted Steven to shatter Spinel to get rid of her evil forever but Sugar fought against that because that’s not what SU is about. So instead they shoved her off with the Diamonds and ignored her for 16 episodes.
To be fair I can't really say I'm THAT surprised by Sugar keeping Spinel on the sidelines for that long, Spinel was given the option to fuck off forever or become PD 2.0 for the Diamonds and she picked the latter. I also have a feeling another part of keeping her and the Diamonds off-screen until now a possible cost issue, hiring some serious theater talent (Patti LuPone, Christine Ebersole, and Susan Egan are Broadway legends) and a well-known singer-songwriter to voice your four interplanetary matriarchs costs some serious scratch.
-Ever since SU aired, female employment is at 52% and employees are younger than ever. Which isn’t too bad...until you remember many young and inexperienced artists worked on PPG 2016 and the later seasons of SU.
Yeah, and if they're not female they're the kinds of fuckwits that think any sort of criticism is an attack on what they "love" to do and have zero respect for previous iterations of an IP they're working on. Just look at that awful HotDiggedyDemon-like rendition of TTG haters in the TTG Vs. TT movie or the TTG/TCR crossover event in general (with a special mention going out to that Panthro skull, they did Earle Hyman dirty with that one).
-“In addition to a bright color palette and silly playfulness, “Steven Universe” boasts a mythological spine that could wow a Tolkienologist.” I’m sorry but my face scrunched up like I ate a lemon when I read this part. I’m not so sure Tolkien fans would be wowed with SU’s world building.
If it makes you feel any better so did mine, if there is any mythology in the show it's about as holey as Swiss cheese thanks to Sugar's insistence on keeping the show in Steven's perspective and mucking about with the status of various non-cartoon takes on the series in terms of canon. If a spin-off show (because FUCK making a post-Future comic series or a video game) happens I REALLY hope it explores this but I doubt CN will want to approach the IP once it's done and over with.
-Much of the article is then dedicated to it’s LGBT themes and how Sugar was a queer child who wanted to reach out to other queer children. She entertains the thought of going into adult animation but kid shows are more fun to work on. “I think they’re such a great audience. Their imaginations are so huge. It’s difficult to imagine giving up an audience that’s so open, and so imaginative that you can throw wild concepts in, and wild visuals in, and have your audience be really immersed. I just really love doing this work.”
Sugar's been saying that she'll toy around with other mediums (IIRC she said while ago that she'd like to work on Broadway theater when she's done with SU) so I really doubt that she'll leave kid's animation, let alone toy with other forms of animation. Adult animation is a really tough thing to get into, you either dig down to the bottom of the barrel make your show a raunchy comedy that networks will pick up in a heartbeat or you take a serious risk and make a more cerebral show for Netflix (with the added risk of it only getting a single season if it shits the bed or the animation studio unionizes) or an independent platform like YouTube.

heyilikeyourmom

a lunatic just barking at the moon
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Outstanding pair of episodes. I’m glad they finally explored Greg’s pre-travelling musician life in detail, and the end of the second episode gave me chills. It all ends next week, meaning the show’s in a unique position to enjoy near-universal critical acclaim for its entire run.

Last edited:

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES! GRIND THEIR BONES INTO DIRT!
kiwifarms.net
(IIRC she said while ago that she'd like to work on Broadway theater when she's done with SU)
Gimme those sweet tophats but after sitting through a six-near-seven year long trainwreck filled with pandering, idpol, SJWism, and lack of actually answered more interesting questions than "what's the little joo boy up to this week?" I hope Sugar never touches anything ever again.

heyilikeyourmom

a lunatic just barking at the moon
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gimme those sweet tophats but after sitting through a six-near-seven year long trainwreck filled with pandering, idpol, SJWism, and lack of actually answered more interesting questions than "what's the little joo boy up to this week?" I hope Sugar never touches anything ever again.
Maybe use the time the show’s end will free up to learn how to operate a remote control.

Private Pyle

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, and if they're not female they're the kinds of fuckwits that think any sort of criticism is an attack on what they "love" to do and have zero respect for previous iterations of an IP they're working on. Just look at that awful HotDiggedyDemon-like rendition of TTG haters in the TTG Vs. TT movie or the TTG/TCR crossover event in general (with a special mention going out to that Panthro skull, they did Earle Hyman dirty with that one).
I hate everything about this. I get that internet backlash can go too far sometimes but stunts like these only fan the flames and just make the writers look like thin skinned faggots. I don’t get why these can’t ignore just ignore people online.
On the topic of Spinel, I just hope they make the most of the remaining episodes for her. If Sugar supposedly fought as hard as she did, I expect Future to reflect that. And if we do get spin offs, I pray that they’re handed off to anyone but Sugar and her crew; the series has proven to work when it’s written by anyone but the crew.
It all ends next week, meaning the show’s in a unique position to enjoy near-universal critical acclaim for its entire run.
Factually incorrect. SU has had a ton of criticism from all corners of the Internet, though admittedly some of it was social justice politics. Gravity Falls and Over the Garden Wall are more in deserving of “near universal critical acclaim”.
There’s a chance she could be a one hit one wonder. For better or for worse, SU is one the biggest shows to come out of the 2010s, meaning it’s going to be quite the challenge for Sugar to top something this monumental. Alex Hirsch, the better of the two writers, has had tough time trying to get a new project off the ground, let alone one that matches GF. I genuinely wish Sugar good luck on whatever her next move is and hope she learned a thing or two while making SU.

PumpkinSpiceBitchMeringue

I will never expire, my thots
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Alright so REALLY dumb theory but could it be possible that the pink hue White Diamond we see in the OP is a result of Spinel being around her and reminding her of how childish she seemed as she threw a tanttum in Change your Mind or maybe WD somehow assimilated Spinel, sort of like fusion but with the latter's personality being subsided. Just a thought, we haven't seen Marina Spinel and the Diamonds because they decided to hold them off for the finale and they ominously keep hinting at WD faking her pacifism or at least losing her mind through what looks like corruption or becoming an off colored pink, similar to Steven and Spinel contantly losing their shit.

Kurosaki Ichigo

an approaching murder
kiwifarms.net
Alex Hirsch kept an even and complete narrative throughout GF. There’s extra material published but unless you’re a huge fan of the series it’s not really essential to understanding the series. I have a feeling if there’s any post finale material published for SU there’s going to be a shit ton of gap filling.

Private Pyle

kiwifarms.net
No he isn’t.
Two Emmy Awards and near universal acclaim would disagree with you.
Purple autist aside, CN just dropped the newest episode to make up for the singalong getting cancelled due to corona. Sooner than I expected, spoilers ahead:
-The leak about Spinel and the Diamonds being craftswomen is true; democracy has smoothly replaced the hierarchy while the Diamonds unfuck the mess they made. Also relevant, Yellow Diamond brings up the Cluster.
-Much like Steven, the Diamonds suddenly developed new powers over the timeskip. Yellow can fix any Gem form including corruption scars, Blue now makes clouds of literal happiness, and White can allow people to control her, which is where the pink WD comes from. Also Blue gets a song.
-After allowing Steven into her head, he remembers how she removed his gem, gets pissed, and tries to crush her gem while possessing her. This is supposed to be another example of Steven going to the dark side but...this is White Diamond we’re talking about. She’s lucky he only wanted to punish her for one thing she did.
-This episode ends with Steven running away a second time (Jesus the patterns are getting repetitive). The last shot is of Steven glowing pink and having Rose’s hairstyle, which carries disturbing implications.
-Not sure if relevant but a new rumor is circling about the series ending with a hug. Not a joke, apparently the rumor is Steven is cured by a giant group hug.

I’m not sure how to feel about this one. More Spinel is good and she’s now comfortable as the goofball again (although I’m a bit biased after hearing about how she almost died). But the Diamonds having new powers reeks of plot convenience and I rolled my eyes at White Diamond being made out to be Steven’s victim. And with three episodes left, I’m not sure where they can go from here.