Steven Universe -

Private Pyle

I am...in a world...of shit.
kiwifarms.net
I really like SU, but I kindda wish they had stopped at the movie. Our fun space adventures have been replaced with teen angst, and unless Steven kills himself, Future will end basically as the original series: with him realizing he is his own person and in control. A bad ending can really sour a good narrative. Its getting so depressing, that with the whole virus thing, I dont want to watch it.
The show really should have stopped at the movie. I thought the movie was okay because of the better animation, catchy songs, and Spinel being the emotional heart of the story. It wasn't one big never ending drag with Steven flying off the handle out of nowhere because the writers don't know how to maintain an ongoing conflict. But even with the welcome inclusion of Spinel in the latest episode, this is still frustrating and exhausting to watch. I don't imagine that kids will like this. This could have worked had it been the second-to-last season and not the final one. But again, there are three episodes left and there is nothing left to accomplish other than getting Steven to calm the fuck down.

I know the hug thing will happen. I am pretty confident the writers will be that lazy.
I didn’t even consider Corona Chan factoring in all this; imagine you’re a kid stuck at home and hearing all this depressing stuff around the clock. Then you turn on your TV and find the main character of a cartoon spiraling into depression and ruining every relationship he has. If nothing else, it’s ballsy.

More seriously, it’s comforting to know other people find the movie a better ending than Future so far. For all it’s faults, it’s a better epilogue one that a feels more like a celebration of its themes and acknowledges all the progress they made over the years. From a narrative stand point, you really don’t have much to lose from stopping at the movie and ignoring Future; it’s not like Future actually answers the few dangling plot threads in a satisfying manner.

Finrod Felagund

Cannot seem to stop rap-battling.
kiwifarms.net
Interrupting your scheduled broadcast to bring you a Variety article looking back at SU, with Sugar herself.
Couple of highlights:
-The CN exces wanted Steven to shatter Spinel to get rid of her evil forever but Sugar fought against that because that’s not what SU is about. So instead they shoved her off with the Diamonds and ignored her for 16 episodes.
-Ever since SU aired, female employment is at 52% and employees are younger than ever. Which isn’t too bad...until you remember many young and inexperienced artists worked on PPG 2016 and the later seasons of SU.
-“In addition to a bright color palette and silly playfulness, “Steven Universe” boasts a mythological spine that could wow a Tolkienologist.” I’m sorry but my face scrunched up like I ate a lemon when I read this part. I’m not so sure Tolkien fans would be wowed with SU’s world building.
-Much of the article is then dedicated to it’s LGBT themes and how Sugar was a queer child who wanted to reach out to other queer children. She entertains the thought of going into adult animation but kid shows are more fun to work on. “I think they’re such a great audience. Their imaginations are so huge. It’s difficult to imagine giving up an audience that’s so open, and so imaginative that you can throw wild concepts in, and wild visuals in, and have your audience be really immersed. I just really love doing this work.”
In addition to a bright color palette and silly playfulness, “Steven Universe” boasts a mythological spine that could wow a Tolkienologist."
forgive my spergery ahead, I'm practically cringing at this highlight alone
Mythological spine what, Variety? Where? Gems aren't Elves, Steven isn't half-Elf. Religion played a huge role in most of JRRT's writing - especially in The Silmarillion, I thought SU had no specific religion. He made languages and a whole mythos explaining the creation of Middle-earth front and back, we never know if Gems actually have a language of their own outside of the human language or even know how the Diamonds came to be, and that is assuming the Gems are the only known extraterrestrial civilization in SU's universe. The Hobbit and LOTR explored the detriments of war and is not afraid to present violence - in a children's book no less, we only know from SU that the Diamonds are alien colonists and won't hesitate to employ genocide against their opponents.
I respect SU as a league of its own and at best a tribute to most 90s anime titles that Sugar grew up, but to compare its worldbuilding to Middle-earth is comparing apples to oranges. I'm sorry, but Tolkien didn't die only to have his work compared to Steven Universe.

[edit] added some wording

Last edited:

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES! GRIND THEIR BONES INTO DIRT!
kiwifarms.net
Mythological spine what, Variety? Where? Gems aren't Elves, Steven isn't half-Elf. Religion played a huge role in most of JRRT's writing - especially in The Silmarillion, I thought SU had no specific religion. He made languages and a whole mythos on his own, we never know if Gems actually have a language of their own outside of human English or even know how the Diamonds came to be. The Hobbit and LOTR explored the detriments of war and is not afraid to present violence - in a children's book no less, we only know from SU is that the Diamonds are alien colonists and won't hesitate to employ genocide against their opponents.
I respect SU as a league of its own and at best a tribute to most 90s anime titles that she grew up, but to compare its worldbuilding to Middle-earth is comparing apples to oranges. I'm sorry, but Tolkien didn't die only to have his work compared to Steven Universe.
But... But gays, and nonbinary, and female cast, and representation.

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
Mythological spine what, Variety? Where? Gems aren't Elves, Steven isn't half-Elf. Religion played a huge role in most of JRRT's writing - especially in The Silmarillion, I thought SU had no specific religion. He made languages and a whole mythos on his own, we never know if Gems actually have a language of their own outside of human English or even know how the Diamonds came to be. The Hobbit and LOTR explored the detriments of war and is not afraid to present violence - in a children's book no less, we only know from SU is that the Diamonds are alien colonists and won't hesitate to employ genocide against their opponents.
I respect SU as a league of its own and at best a tribute to most 90s anime titles that she grew up, but to compare its worldbuilding to Middle-earth is comparing apples to oranges. I'm sorry, but Tolkien didn't die only to have his work compared to Steven Universe.
If anything, the lore is underdeveloped in Steven Universe. We know there is a gem hierachy, but we barely know how it works, specially in homeworld. We dont know nothing of the gems origin, nor of anything related to their dealings with other space civilizations. We are supposed to believe they are conquerors but they waged war, at least in earth, with swords and shields. Unless there are no other space civilizations, that makes no sense. Why do lawyer gems exist, I mean, what do they do? What kind of disputes can gems have between them?, specially if you consider that they function like a hive mind, and dont get me started on planet earth. Were is the military? Why are people so casual about aliens?
I dont think simplicity hurts SU, for a show consisting of 10 minute episodes, I understand why you cant spend too much time on, for example, Blue Diamonds court. Its like a modern fairy tale, colorful and to the point. My fav episode of Future is Why so Blue. Mostly because it actually shows gems doing their work, Lapiz is my favorite character and emo Steven stays in the background. I would have liked more episodes like that, of gems just doing what they are supposed to do, but I understand the show doesnt have the time to do more episodes like that.
As I said before, I love SU, but at the end, we have more questions about the world they live in than answers.

Last edited:

PopRocks

WANNA BEEE done with this bs
kiwifarms.net
Now I'm on the last 5 episodes of season 3.

The show gets better when it starts having a plot, but it's still a piece of shit and there's really only 7 episodes worth a rewatch. Still can't get why you fags stuck with this show. At least Peridot and Ronaldo are good characters.
like the poster above, SU has some good concepts, but most is minimal compared to the "SoL" meandering episodes. Add to that, even the really good one are underdeveloped due to being shoved in the last five minutes of an five episode arc that could've been done in a two parter at most.

• Optimistic
Reactions: The Pink Panther

The Pink Panther

Why Can't Man Be More Like Animals?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
like the poster above, SU has some good concepts, but most is minimal compared to the "SoL" meandering episodes. Add to that, even the really good one are underdeveloped due to being shoved in the last five minutes of an five episode arc that could've been done in a two parter at most.
Sure, but what really gets to me about how badly this show's story arcs are written (I watched through the Cluster arc which was ok up until the finale where it ended on an anti-climax with Steven using a power that is never contextually explained; this show's form of show not tell is always in the direction of not telling plot-important stuff until the final minutes and then never having it elaborated on or brought up again, they always want you to guess) is that people suck this show's dick to no end over its stories when most of them are cliche at best and a good majority of the characters are fucking irredeemable assholes who are "flawed", but have no other aspect that makes them enjoyable. It's not fun watching a show with bad characters, bad dynamics, and whatnot.

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

kiwifarms.net
Sure, but what really gets to me about how badly this show's story arcs are written (I watched through the Cluster arc which was ok up until the finale where it ended on an anti-climax with Steven using a power that is never contextually explained; this show's form of show not tell is always in the direction of not telling plot-important stuff until the final minutes and then never having it elaborated on or brought up again, they always want you to guess) is that people suck this show's dick to no end over its stories when most of them are cliche at best and a good majority of the characters are fucking irredeemable assholes who are "flawed", but have no other aspect that makes them enjoyable. It's not fun watching a show with bad characters, bad dynamics, and whatnot.
It's literally just "He's a diamond". Why can Pink Diamond flip her gem? She's a diamond. Why can Yellow Diamond fuse gem shards back together when Rose Quartz's tears only heal cracks? She's a diamond (Even though RQ=PD) You want consistency? Fuck you. -Rebecca Sugar

Yamma Damma

Damma Doo
kiwifarms.net
I'm starting to think whatever witchcraft Pink Diamond performed to birth Steven is coming undone and it's not some convoluted metaphor for puberty or toXic MaScULInitY. She only sacrificed her PHYSICAL form, what about the rest of her?

Now I'm on the last 5 episodes of season 3.

The show gets better when it starts having a plot, but it's still a piece of shit and there's really only 7 episodes worth a rewatch. Still can't get why you fags stuck with this show. At least Peridot and Ronaldo are good characters.
I stuck around for lore exploration and Pearl's story. Since both things were a letdown, I just want closure no matter how unsatisfying it's definitely going to be. What's 4 more episodes during a quarantine right?

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

kiwifarms.net
I'm starting to think whatever witchcraft Pink Diamond performed to birth Steven is coming undone and it's not some convoluted metaphor for puberty or toXic MaScULInitY. She only sacrificed her PHYSICAL form, what about the rest of her?

I stuck around for lore exploration and Pearl's story. Since both things were a letdown, I just want closure no matter how unsatisfying it's definitely going to be. What's 4 more episodes during a quarantine right?
They're never even gonna tell us who her first owner was. It's a good thing Rebecca never went into a line of work like being a homicide detective.

Private Pyle

kiwifarms.net
I have some more crackpot theories on this. Much like how Naruto or even Black Clover are well liked despite being fairly cliched, many people have small reference pools and to them, these tropes and characters are unique; I’ve legit seen people say Steven using a shield is rare and refreshing.
On the other hand, the fanbase has a pretentious streak; they’re all about “realism” and think “realism=unlikable characters=good writing”. So in their eyes, the more flawed a character is, the more the writing is good.
SU really shows how just because you maybe an Editor or a house inspector does not mean you can write a novel or build a house. Case in point, Some posters have noted that when Ian left SU, the show went down in quality. Of course, his own show managed to be even worse then SU.
Yeah, OK KO was really just a fanboy trying to make his DeviantArt project come true.
The way I see it, Rebecca and Ian need each other; Ian is needed to give excitement and adventure into the show while Rebecca is needed to give more depth than just “lol references”.

Not going to lie, the thumbnails that leaked for the final episodes are foreboding. The one for the final episode looks to be like the Crystal Gems in their season 1 outfits...

Archeops

Whispering seeds of doubt into the ears of troons
kiwifarms.net

And it looks like SUF is the true end for the series, but the writing was on the wall for a while.

Private Pyle

kiwifarms.net

And it looks like SUF is the true end for the series, but the writing was on the wall for a while.
Makes enough sense; by their own admission, the comics outside the first run are completely non canon. Which makes me curious on what Rebecca’s big surprise is.
On the other hand, Adventure Time’s big ending was supposed to be the real end. Then it was green light for a four part special. So it basically depends on CN.
Either way, the movie will always be the true ending in my heart.

Archeops

Whispering seeds of doubt into the ears of troons
kiwifarms.net
Makes enough sense; by their own admission, the comics outside the first run are completely non canon. Which makes me curious on what Rebecca’s big surprise is.
Agreed, this whole thing feels really weird with this and the various interviews/fan meetings she recently. All I can safely say is that the forced "Steven's perspective only!" rule did more harm than good in the long run.
On the other hand, Adventure Time’s big ending was supposed to be the real end. Then it was green light for a four part special. So it basically depends on CN.
Considering that this is the same network that gave the greenlight to a reboot that didn't involve the original show's creator in any way, shape, or form you're giving them too much leeway. What's even odder is that a survey posted to Reddit has been confirmed to be CN's doing and features Steven Universe (along with We Bare Bears, Infinity Train, Adventure Time, and Regular Show) as selectable options in it alongside older CN shows (and even some older Nick shows).
Either way, the movie will always be the true ending in my heart.
Preaching to the choir, man. If SU is CN's ATLA than SUF is most certainly it's LOK equivalent.

KidKitty

Official Junior Shitposter
kiwifarms.net
On pretty much the same fence here as many other posters I've seen. I give the show some credit for having the balls to do some uncomfortable shit as it teeters to a finale closure, but the question is will it keep those balls to follow through with the setup or will it puss out at the end?

I say this as somebody who found some modicum of tenderness in the series but never really kept up, so it's not really a big thing for me personally how it ends up. Though I guess I do care enough that if it achieves Chrono Crusade levels of pointlessly bad, then the movie will be a pleasant enough ending to reconcile it.

Reactions: Private Pyle