Steven Universe - Now a Griefing Thread

PopRocks

it prounouced Ca-Kow!
kiwifarms.net
Steven just isn't a good protagonist.
Steven as the main character just sucks at being a main character. The fact the show revolved around him all the time only made him even more unbearable.

Just finished the last few episodes.

You know the most common thread I am finding in stupid tumblr shows is that there are some interesting concepts..that the level of skill the writing team has can't pull off correctly.
This is one of the few good things about SU, it's potential to be something at least noteworthy. Thing is, unlike AT which was marketed at Finn and Jake fucking around in Ooo and was decent until it got all loreshit, SU basically bragged about being this 2deep4u narrative. And also unlike AT, SU had Sugar all the way from the first episode of the original series to the end of the last episode of the sequal.

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
I agree that Steven wasnt that great of a protagonist, he was better as our self insert to explore the world of the gems. I mean, the show had tons of interesting mysteries, I really love Mirror Gem and Ocean Gem because of how much of a fairy tale it felt and how many questions those episodes brought to the table, but as the show focused more on Steven, the mistery and exploration got lost as every secret began to unravel, and then, nothing really extraordinary hid behind those mysteries. Everything was about Steven and the other characters lost protagonism. And the problem with that is that Steven is a really simple character, not interesting enough to carry the show by himself. His human adventures were boring teen drama and his gem escapades were underdeveloped. Not saying I didnt enjoy the show until the very end, but as soon as the focus shifted to Steven, something was lost. The movie was so much fun and a perfect epilogue. Future should have been something diferent, after all, the whole point of the last arc was for Steven to leave Rose's identity and mistakes in the past and move on. And it treats his character as if he was some kind of war orphan, but he had Greg, the gems and the whole town as a system of support, he had some fights, but he never really was in a war. So, his breakdown seems a little redundant and exagerated and the direction it was going to take became very predictable from the beginning. Maybe Future would have worked better as a quirky action comedy about what the gems and the other characters were doing. It would have been cool to have an episode dedicate to White Diamond trying to find a place in the new era, or Peridot just having fun in an anime convention. The whole season arc really hurt future, most of the plot points of the show had already been solved and they only had one season. I think individual stories would have been a lot better suited for what they had to work with. Maybe ending in a two parter about Steven deciding what he wanted to do with his life, revisiting old friends and foes to make that desicion. Stupid long post, cant sleep lol. Finally, something that should have happened never did: Steven finally understanding that what her mother did was not completly right, nor completly wrong, after all, her choises disbanded the gem empire and freed the Gem race. I think that was the most important issue Future could have dealt with Steven, accepting her mother legacy while trying to understand why she did what she did. At the end, I can see Steven remaining in beach city, being happy with a simple life and surrounded by the people that love him. I dont think him leaving is such a bad idea, leaving your home to explore new horizons is a natural part of a lot of people's life, but the events preciding it really soured it for me. Emo Steven Universe turning into pink Godzilla. He really lost nothing and it wasnt a new dilemma. Maybe if he had given his diamond powers away it would have been a more impactful ending. Finally leaving the gem stuff behind to be fully human, after all, if you have a nervous breakdown and become a literal monster, it would be a very irresponsible choice to leave your support network behind and venture into a world unprepared for what you can do considering that healing a severe trauma can take a lifetime.
Again, sorry for the long post cant sleep.

Last edited:

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
The war point you made is a big one. The whole show tries to be both some drama showing the scars of war and wacky sitcom with the gems as more or less zany alien neighbors. This led to things like the already mentioned easy jumps between Earth and Homeworld.

friedshrimp

028372n38934739473247219074
kiwifarms.net
^Not to mention the biggest issue, which was turn the Diamonds around in the shittiest "redemption arc" possible and have them now as Steven's kooky aunts (weren't the Crystal Gems already that?).

I heard somewhere that Becky didn't want to turn Blue and Yellow Diamond into full-fledged villains since she based them on Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune and didn't want the iconic LGBT anime icons be portrayed "negatively" on her show.

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
^Not to mention the biggest issue, which was turn the Diamonds around in the shittiest "redemption arc" possible and have them now as Steven's kooky aunts (weren't the Crystal Gems already that?).

I heard somewhere that Becky didn't want to turn Blue and Yellow Diamond into full-fledged villains since she based them on Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune and didn't want the iconic LGBT anime icons be portrayed "negatively" on her show.
To be honest, they never did anything that bad to Steven himself, and it was to their best interest to just leave them be, the Crystal Gems were always super outgunned during the whole series by homeworld. But if their empire was so big and conquered so many worlds, they would be considered space war criminals. This has always bugged me, is there any other sentient alien species in Steven Universe? Also, did Steven killed the gem race by ending their colonial ways? I mean, they cant reproduce on their own.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
The series' failure to make the Homeworld have anything like legit grievances or a pressing need to do what they be key in the final confrontation is still a big problem.

For God's sake, even something like the Iliad had both sides with their virtues and their (claimed) grievances/cause. Let alone the Crusades.

Last edited:

Yamma Damma

Damma Doo
kiwifarms.net
Why do people like this boring show, the pacing is terrible.
The way I see it, the pacing is terrible because the crewniverse focused on every character's bullshit feelings and drama before they can do anything interesting. But there was one big thing keeping curiosity: fusions.

All the fusions are popular because of pronouns and the (gay) relationships they represent so fans begged for more of them. Those fans got screwed in the end when the main four's remaining fusions were rushed and ugly, and gems like Jasper Peridot and Lapis never fused with any of them or each other! Their biggest fanbait that printed money and they couldn't make it work. Because that pizza shop granny needed to become mayor, sadie needed to join a band and so on.

It's like those video games where you have to feed, clean, love and play with the characters or else they'll die or something: It's fun at first then boring after a while.

Something about the writing is fucked. Older CN shows had punchy dialog and something interesting was always happening.

The new ones all feel so neutered
Look at Adventure Time, the ground zero for this trend. AT wasn't as balls-to-the-wall crazy as the Cartoon Cartoons of old. It was mellow, meta, and painfully silly. Over time, those who worked on AT spread across the industry like mayo on bread. And because of that, a whole bunch of sandwiches tasted the same. Now that most of those shows are over, my money is on the 2020s being the counter-culture. (aka fuck your feelings, get shit done or gtfo)

Yamma Damma

Damma Doo
kiwifarms.net
What about the first couple of seasons?
What about the first couple of seasons? Of AT or SU?

EDIT: I think the biggest difference between Cartoon Cartoons and the 2010 cartoons is the use of continuity. AT was kooky and episodic in the first two seasons but they went lore crazy when the Lich showed up and Ooo = post-apocalypse Earth.

SU was in that same vein being episodic but they were lore crazy from the start. However it grinded to a halt when Lapis showed up. No more fighting gem beasts and visiting temples, now it was about fucking around in beach city and showing three two homeworld gems how cool living in exile is.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: The Un-Clit

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net
What about the first couple of seasons? Of AT or SU?

EDIT: I think the biggest difference between Cartoon Cartoons and the 2010 cartoons is the use of continuity. AT was kooky and episodic in the first two seasons but they went lore crazy when the Lich showed up and Ooo = post-apocalypse Earth.

SU was in that same vein being episodic but they were lore crazy from the start. However it grinded to a halt when Lapis showed up. No more fighting gem beasts and visiting temples, now it was about fucking around in beach city and showing three two homeworld gems how cool living in exile is.
I was talking about Adventure Time.

Private Pyle

I am...in a world...of shit.
kiwifarms.net
Their biggest fanbait that printed money and they couldn't make it work. Because that pizza shop granny needed to become mayor, sadie needed to join a band and so on.
Which never went anywhere might I add; literally nothing changed from a switch in mayors while Sadie’s band ended up breaking up for plot convenience. You had so much focus on these episodes that were hyped as a big game changers only to end up completely wasting your time.
It’s funny how everyone was screeching how there was no filler only for the crew themselves to throw in the towel. I really hope the 2020s turn things around after the shit show that was the new tens.
Adventure Time went to garbage once they started actually talking about muh deep lore.
AT started a lot of trends, good and bad. The worst had to be lore baiting, for many reasons. To this day, I have a hard time remembering a show that actually followed up on its lore in a satisfying manner.

Private Pyle

I am...in a world...of shit.
kiwifarms.net
How did Estelle land this gig?

The woman can't act to save her life, did Sugar castcouch her?
From what I understand, they specifically sought her out for the role because they were big fans of her music. This actually applies to many of the fusions and the Diamonds, to varying results. As for acting, keep in mind that SU VAs are evaluated on their singing foremost and Garnet is generally a quiet character, so acting was probably the furthest thing from their minds.