Steven Universe - Now a Griefing Thread

Private Pyle

I am...in a world...of shit.
kiwifarms.net
Second, it's even more apparent when you realize that Rebecca created an entire character based around said concept (Sunstone) and even made them a key character in one of Future's episodes.

I personally like to think that she was kind of forced into a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation so after Tumblr's section of the SU fandom went apeshit over LGBTQ+ representation. On the other hand, I'm starting to agree with what a lot of people are saying about the 2016 election just straight-up destroying the already-fragile sanity of everyone in Hollywood and SoCal.
I’d say it’s a little of Column A, little of Column B. A lot of SU’s online cred was lost after the hype backlash struck, specifically after Bismuth, Uncle Andy and especially Concrete. Even after trying to get back in their good graces, the show was still a far cry from the progressive darling it was during it’s peak, outpaced by shows like She Ra and Craig of the Creek.
On the other hand, I do believe Sugar did buy into the hype people were heaping on her, if her little speech about Never Again is anything to go by. If anything, 2016 broke the fans and the staff.
A good chunk of intersex people typically pick whether or not they want to consider themselves male or female. Most intersex people don't even want people to know they are intersex and are most confident categorizing themselves in the 2-gender rule. This girl I knew in high school was classified as intersex and was perfectly content to identify as a woman seeing how she resembled a woman more and mostly developed female sex characteristics.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that just because you're intersex doesn't mean you automatically have to identify as a tumblr-tard or nonbinary or whatever. Most intersex people would love to just be normal and live a normal life.
This just makes that Stevonnie pic Sugar drew all the more patronizing.

Archeops

Whispering seeds of doubt into the ears of troons
kiwifarms.net
I’d say it’s a little of Column A, little of Column B. A lot of SU’s online cred was lost after the hype backlash struck, specifically after Bismuth, Uncle Andy and especially Concrete. Even after trying to get back in their good graces, the show was still a far cry from the progressive darling it was during it’s peak, outpaced by shows like She Ra and Craig of the Creek.
On the other hand, I do believe Sugar did buy into the hype people were heaping on her, if her little speech about Never Again is anything to go by. If anything, 2016 broke the fans and the staff.

This just makes that Stevonnie pic Sugar drew all the more patronizing.
You mean the one she did for last October's Intersex Awareness Day?
Yeah, I think we discussed it when it popped up.

TungstenCarbide

kiwifarms.net
From what I understand, they specifically sought her out for the role because they were big fans of her music. This actually applies to many of the fusions and the Diamonds, to varying results. As for acting, keep in mind that SU VAs are evaluated on their singing foremost and Garnet is generally a quiet character, so acting was probably the furthest thing from their minds.
I think it worked quite well for a few characters, like Patti Lupone on Yellow Diamond. Yellow's Italian actor makes her too gruff. About Estelle I can understand why they choose her, but in certain scenes Garnet comes off as very inespressive. Yes, the character is quiet, but sometimes she seems... not very nuanced? Here the voice acting agency that worked on Steven Universe just focused on acting, singing ability nothwithstanding. EG Valentina Favazza, I think she makes a wonderful Garnet:
Then they just casted singers for the voice actors who don't want/can't sing. Pearl is voiced by Francesca Manicone, but Pearl's songs are performed by Wanda Rapisardi, a professional singer:
Stevonnie being intersex makes the Steg fusion that much more horrifying. Good job Becky, you utter creep.
Thank you, I didn't need this.

The Un-Clit

After the Dimensional Merge, pussy eats YOU!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Havent read a single post on this thread.

Just watched the first 2 seasons complete as a total SU virgin.

I have to admit, had this show come out in the mid 80s I would be a complete fucking insufferable faggot about how great this show is as a kid's cartoon that isn't the usual warmed-over pablum like I did get served as a kid, even stuff that was supposed to be appealing to me like the AD&D cartoon and G.I. Joe which were both censored by committees of elderly stuffed shirts, unlike the few anime that made it over at the time like Robotech/Macross, Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato and Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman which, along with Pro (NOT WWF) Wrestling, were my real love as a kid.

I would have probably completely missed the blatant GBYFTFQUBBQ undertone to the writing and instead be SQEEEEEING like an exceptional individual about the 'true love' between Ruby and Sapphire while still more in favor of that between Rose Quartz and Greg Universe (as well as wondering just how the fuck that mullet-wearing motherfucker not only seduced a big fat alien gemstone-being with bitchin' Utena hair into not ONLY growing a fucking vagoo for Mr. Universe to fill with his very human cock, but growing an entire fucking reproductive tract so she could bear his hybrid crotchfruit!) But as an adult and father I can see this show as the kind of kid-mind-freeing anti-dogma that His Dark Materials was as a book to my daughters' generation.

The 'agenda' of Rebecca Sugar and/or subsequent show writers is (as of the end of season 2 of 6 anyway) fairly well hidden with the exception of the blatantly gay 'fusion' between Ruby and Sapphire and how Pearl is completely lesbian for Rose Quartz, who snubs her to fuck a longhaired human incel. The overall tolerance of the show is sometimes jarring (like how quickly they accept Peridot despite all the murder and Mengle-like experimenting she got up to in the first 1 and 3/4s of the show) but overall amusing, interesting, and insanely well written for children's television. No wonder it has such an autistic adult fanbase, which it it looks like ima be joining at least by proxy.

Probably gonna regret this post along with my hangover in 12 hours or so, but what the fuck. Time to start binging season 3. (Bless BitTorrent)

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES! GRIND THEIR BONES INTO DIRT!
kiwifarms.net

I have to admit, had this show come out in the mid 80s I would be a complete fucking insufferable faggot about how great this show is as a kid's cartoon that isn't the usual warmed-over pablum like I did get served as a kid, even stuff that was supposed to be appealing to me like the AD&D cartoon and G.I. Joe which were both censored by committees of elderly stuffed shirts, unlike the few anime that made it over at the time like Robotech/Macross, Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato and Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman which, along with Pro (NOT WWF) Wrestling, were my real love as a kid.

I would have probably completely missed the blatant GBYFTFQUBBQ undertone to the writing and instead be SQEEEEEING like an exceptional individual about the 'true love' between Ruby and Sapphire while still more in favor of that between Rose Quartz and Greg Universe (as well as wondering just how the fuck that mullet-wearing motherfucker not only seduced a big fat alien gemstone-being with bitchin' Utena hair into not ONLY growing a fucking vagoo for Mr. Universe to fill with his very human cock, but growing an entire fucking reproductive tract so she could bear his hybrid crotchfruit!) But as an adult and father I can see this show as the kind of kid-mind-freeing anti-dogma that His Dark Materials was as a book to my daughters' generation.

The 'agenda' of Rebecca Sugar and/or subsequent show writers is (as of the end of season 2 of 6 anyway) fairly well hidden with the exception of the blatantly gay 'fusion' between Ruby and Sapphire and how Pearl is completely lesbian for Rose Quartz, who snubs her to fuck a longhaired human incel. The overall tolerance of the show is sometimes jarring (like how quickly they accept Peridot despite all the murder and Mengle-like experimenting she got up to in the first 1 and 3/4s of the show) but overall amusing, interesting, and insanely well written for children's television. No wonder it has such an autistic adult fanbase, which it it looks like ima be joining at least by proxy.

Probably gonna regret this post along with my hangover in 12 hours or so, but what the fuck. Time to start binging season 3. (Bless BitTorrent)
oh you're going to regret a lot my friend. prepare to be shit on by becky and 1000 assholes.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net

You wouldn't tip fedoras would you?

The Un-Clit

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Erk.....kinda forgot I hit save on that. I was supposed to have cleared it out. Well, not my first nor last regretted drunkpost.

Well since we're here, and I still havent' read the posts on the thread since I am only halfway through the series/movie/sequel series because spoilers, but a general opinion question:

Is it just me or does season 4 take a big step backwards in the early portion? We start off with some Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner bullshit with Peridot and Steven, then 2 eps focussing on the intersex problems of 'Steveonnie' and then an episode that feels right out of a 1980's Saturday Morning Special about how amazing the library is, complete with character making the moral point staring into the camera. I mean what the fuck? Is this a show for teens or for fucking primary school kids?

Am I off base here, or do others feel that too? The show's been more hit then miss for the most part, but 5 clunkers in a row is a little concerning. I hope it gets better soon.

The Pink Panther

Looking At Your Stag Reel
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Erk.....kinda forgot I hit save on that. I was supposed to have cleared it out. Well, not my first nor last regretted drunkpost.

Well since we're here, and I still havent' read the posts on the thread since I am only halfway through the series/movie/sequel series because spoilers, but a general opinion question:

Is it just me or does season 4 take a big step backwards in the early portion? We start off with some Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner bullshit with Peridot and Steven, then 2 eps focussing on the intersex problems of 'Steveonnie' and then an episode that feels right out of a 1980's Saturday Morning Special about how amazing the library is, complete with character making the moral point staring into the camera. I mean what the fuck? Is this a show for teens or for fucking primary school kids?

Am I off base here, or do others feel that too? The show's been more hit then miss for the most part, but 5 clunkers in a row is a little concerning. I hope it gets better soon.
Yes....season 4 does indeed take a huge hit. I too, marathonned the show back in March, and from what I can tell you're in for some utter shit. This is only the beginning of the shitfests that are seasons 4 and 5 . At that point, the show went from being aggressively mediocre to absolute horseshit. Especially season 5. Prepare for the homestretch to be an utter waste of your time and your life after the arc that carries over from the end of season 4 ends off.

Someone

Stop gendering genitals!
kiwifarms.net
The show got somewhat "formulaic arcs" on the later seasons

It was always a space adventure followed by nothin happening on the town
this got so repetitive that I forget the order of the space adventures and which pointless towny adventure followed each space adventure,

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net
I will be forever bummed that they did absolutely nothing with Lars of the Stars. Seeing him fuck around in space with the Off Colors could have been a blast to watch- hopping around from planet to planet, going on all sorts of adventures, flirting with hot alien girls, messing with Emerald etc, etc. But nah, gotta follow Steven doing boring townie shit. That's far more interesting, apparently.

Kurosaki Ichigo

an approaching murder
kiwifarms.net
I will be forever bummed that they did absolutely nothing with Lars of the Stars. Seeing him fuck around in space with the Off Colors could have been a blast to watch- hopping around from planet to planet, going on all sorts of adventures, flirting with hot alien girls, messing with Emerald etc, etc. But nah, gotta follow Steven doing boring townie shit. That's far more interesting, apparently.
I can get behind this. Sadie is out of the picture, Lars is his own free man.

Private Pyle

kiwifarms.net
I can get behind this. Sadie is out of the picture, Lars is his own free man.
The beginning and end of Lars’ “arc” will always be frustrating to me. After doing fuck all with the space pirate storyline, Lars at least got his goal of reuniting with Sadie, his friends and his family and live out his hobby that he was ashamed of...only to go back into space because reasons (Seriously, what about his parents that were worried sick about him?).
On the other hand, given the crew and the fanbase of this show, maybe we should be glad a potentially good storyline wasn’t butchered.

Yeah SU is a very inconsistent show when it comes to tone; for a show that’s praised for tackling dark and adult subject matter, there’s just as many episodes that are patronizingly kiddie, which supports my theory that the staff were those weird kids that took animated PSAs too seriously. The dissonance might have alienated actual kids from tuning in.
As for if it gets better, let me just say this; if you decide to quit by the time the season five finale rolls around, I will not blame you in the slightest.

The Un-Clit

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah SU is a very inconsistent show when it comes to tone; for a show that’s praised for tackling dark and adult subject matter, there’s just as many episodes that are patronizingly kiddie, which supports my theory that the staff were those weird kids that took animated PSAs too seriously. The dissonance might have alienated actual kids from tuning in.

As for if it gets better, let me just say this; if you decide to quit by the time the season five finale rolls around, I will not blame you in the slightest.
They went to Korea....and visited their own animation studio making the SU show there......Who the fuck wrote this episode, Steven King? At least the ep is dealing with some Gemworld shit at last again. Onion's little buddies episode almost made me take a hiatus.

It was surreal as fuck hearing Carl from ATHF make an appearance mind you. I wonder if Dave Willis will appear as 'Uncle Andy' on a regular basis now?

Okay that ended...interesting. Back to the rest of S4.

Last edited:

Private Pyle

kiwifarms.net
They went to Korea....and visited their own animation studio making the SU show there......Who the fuck wrote this episode, Steven King? At least the ep is dealing with some Gemworld shit at last again. Onion's little buddies episode almost made me take a hiatus.

It was surreal as fuck hearing Carl from ATHF make an appearance mind you. I wonder if Dave Willis will appear as 'Uncle Andy' on a regular basis now?

Okay that ended...interesting. Back to the rest of S4.
Nope. Just those 2 episodes.

Otherwise, they pretty much fucking forgot about him, lol.
Which is a shame considering that, even aside from being Carl in kid show form, he manages to be pretty entertaining. Instead we’re treated to a weird fourth wall break and a boring montage of Korea.
Although given the insane amount of asshurt his first appearance caused, they probably kept him scarce for good reason.

Last edited: