Stock Market, Business, and Investing General - News, Tips, etc

Cure Milquetoast

ௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌ
kiwifarms.net
Might fuck around and buy some stocks in ROSS when they drop lower. I can only imagine that off-price retailers will become more prominent in the next year or two.

Tonto

kiwifarms.net
We are about halfway done with the crash, the other half may take a year or two. A smart or lucky stock picker could do very nicely here.

Combination of central banks going brrrrr and pension funds having to defend their values at any cost is especially interesting. If pensions melt away there is a decent chance of armed revolution by people who no longer fear death.

dopy

King Neptune's Chosen People
kiwifarms.net
is now a good time to invest in stonks when they eventually rebounce back to normal?
i'd wait, i think the real issue here is that nobody knows what prices should be, which is why we're getting wild 5%+ swings on the indices every day. i'm currently shorting the the major ETFs (SPY/DIA/QQQ) and have some calls on pharma co's. i don't think it'll work out but we'll see. it's just really wild out there right now. long term, we're in a recession without a doubt, the virus was the major domino here. i would plan accordingly, but that's just me.

Belligerent Monk

The Hard R Superstar
kiwifarms.net
I just took my first leap into the markets.
You know... "Buy the dips" and all that jazz.

I bought 13 in GE since they'll probably be tapped to help with the manufacture of ventilators and whatnot over coronachan.
A few in a penny stock and then I took a little leap of faith on Dogecoin.

I'm an uneducated and uncultured American. But if Doge ever breaks the $1 mark, I'm gonna be rich boi

• Feels
Reactions: dopy

Tonto

kiwifarms.net
is now a good time to invest in stonks when they eventually rebounce back to normal?
Who knows? But by being smart you can mitigate the risks, and by being smart I mean diversifying like a motherfucker!

I started my investing today. I have 1/3rd of my cash pile separated for weekly investments into index funds. At current rate it takes 26 weeks to push it all in. 2/3rd I have waiting until I either believe the disaster is over or until companies underlying stocks look both cheap and healthy. At that point I will dump everything into index funds in 10 weekly installments.

In addition I've stopped paying my mortgage for 12 months and am talking about a significant investment loan. Mortgage money goes towards index funds. Loan may go into blue chip stocks if companies look both cheap and healthy.

My criteria for healthy:

- reasonable business model
- steady income

My criteria for cheap:

- P/E under 10
- P/B reasonable but preferably under 1

Aim is to earn 100-200% profit within the next 10 years. I will not be able to time to the bottom so I will not even attempt to. Instead, buying index at reasonable prices will give me the average market performance and I predict this downturn will last no more than 3-4 years max. As long as I keep buying more (and central banks will go BRRRR) I will do just fine in 10 years time.

--

If you've never invested into stocks, we are now at about 2017 levels. It is still not cheap but it is not massively overpriced either. I would say they are about "normal"-ish now, situation notwithstanding. If you start saving a small sum into index funds now you should be able to make a nice profit within the next 10 years. Try saving a monthly $100 or so into an index fund or two to see how it goes and go from there. Remember that stocks are held for a long time: if you are going for a quick profit may I suggest roulette wheel instead?

Reactions: Picklechu

Route 79

Pronouns are Rt / Hwy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My criteria for healthy:
Earnings are going to take a significant hit for a couple quarters so the PE ratios are going to fluctuate. We're in a recession, so the question becomes can the corporation survive a recession, and if it's loaded up on debt, it won't. Lookup "zombie company".

• Agree
Reactions: Picklechu and dopy

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
so germany is going all out to save companies. new debt equivalent of 10% of the GDP will be used for rescue and revitalisation. thats ontop of all other messurements already in place. the economy in germany is not as affected as other countries because service is on a lower level and will come back pretty fast(there will always be demand for services).

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Alex Poulos

Tonto

kiwifarms.net
Earnings are going to take a significant hit for a couple quarters so the PE ratios are going to fluctuate. We're in a recession, so the question becomes can the corporation survive a recession, and if it's loaded up on debt, it won't. Lookup "zombie company".
Sure. Liabilities are in B part of P/B, loading up on debt sort of kills that part. And in any case the company needs to be otherwise healthy. I don't mind sitting years on the stock but it has to be a good one.

Fervent Champion

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1199061

How much further do you think Mouse Corp will drop before things swing back up? I'm tempted to bite.
Same here, but I've been getting the feeling people might want to more away from Disney in general. Seems like everyone I talk to is tried of their franchises. Then again Disney does seem to always find a way to pull itself up in the long run.

Toshiba

kiwifarms.net
As with any stock market advice I may as well be reading tea leaves but I would suggest holding off on buying at the moment.
The bottom probably has not been reached, there will be more panic in the coming days and weeks.
Even if we are around the bottom already you're not going to miss a significant rally until we start hearing positive news- decline in cases or businesses reopening, which won't be this week or next.

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
Same here, but I've been getting the feeling people might want to more away from Disney in general. Seems like everyone I talk to is tried of their franchises. Then again Disney does seem to always find a way to pull itself up in the long run.
they have to much debt and are realy hard hit by Corona, i wouldnt buy.

Cure Milquetoast

ௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌ
kiwifarms.net
I think the bigger issue is that they own so many properties and have so much debt. They could potentially collapse at some point, depending on how Bad things get for them. I believe they recently took on 6bil more debt to pay off older debt.
1c8ace8f-every-company-disney-owns-13_pageversion-lg.jpg

Fervent Champion

kiwifarms.net
they have to much debt and are realy hard hit by Corona, i wouldnt buy.
I think the bigger issue is that they own so many properties and have so much debt. They could potentially collapse at some point, depending on how Bad things get for them. I believe they recently took on 6bil more debt to pay off older debt.
View attachment 1199453
I agree with both posts, but I still feel like Disney is one to watch. You may not want to actually buy any shares anytime soon but their fate could affect the entertainment industry as a whole. Disney could get to the point they might be forced to sell ip's like Star Wars, which like have a ripple effect consider of the merchandise rights tied to it.

Think about more I wouldn't buy any shares of anything tired to the movie industry since all big studios have stopped filming and what little box office revenue they were getting has stopped.

Very Honest Content

(Formerly a) Niggo(?)
kiwifarms.net
We are about halfway done with the crash,...If pensions melt away there is a decent chance of armed revolution by people who no longer fear death.
How old is the average age of that mob going to be though? Really?

Getting close but normal going forward is relative depending on how the dollar reacts to getting unseated as the reserve currency for the world in exchange for likely gold again. If you know what you're doing as a sophisticated investor, you're making more money now than you will at any other time in the market, most likely. If you don't know what you're doing as a sophisticated investor in these market conditions, now's an unforgiving brutal time to learn. (IMO, we're getting close to answering yes for n008s depending on your investment timeline and your objectives getting into the market. Especially if you're investing in gold mining companies or foreign companies with strong balance sheets who pay out regular dividends. All those distinctions are very important in the current market conditions, as pretender to be profitable companies will be going bankrupt soon without bailouts which aren't guaranteed to arrive to save their corporate ass.)

i'd wait, i think the real issue here is that nobody knows what prices should be, which is why we're getting wild 5%+ swings on the indices every day. i'm currently shorting the the major ETFs (SPY/DIA/QQQ) and have some calls on pharma co's. i don't think it'll work out but we'll see. it's just really wild out there right now. long term, we're in a recession without a doubt, the virus was the major domino here. i would plan accordingly, but that's just me.
You're likely speaking a foreign language to deadwaste here (no offense to him intended especially if I'm wrong), but this post goes to my point about sophisticated investors banking as the NAV's fall. If you know what you're doing you make money when the market goes up and you make more when it goes down, that's sophistication at work but it requires a financial education level far beyond your normie's grasp without work on their part to change that.

Who knows? But by being smart you can mitigate the risks, and by being smart I mean diversifying like a motherfucker!

I started my investing today. ...

Aim is to earn 100-200% profit within the next 10 years. I will not be able to time to the bottom so I will not even attempt to. Instead, buying index at reasonable prices will give me the average market performance and I predict this downturn will last no more than 3-4 years max. As long as I keep buying more (and central banks will go BRRRR) I will do just fine in 10 years time.

--

If you've never invested into stocks, we are now at about 2017 levels. It is still not cheap but it is not massively overpriced either. I would say they are about "normal"-ish now, situation notwithstanding. If you start saving a small sum into index funds now you should be able to make a nice profit within the next 10 years. Try saving a monthly $100 or so into an index fund or two to see how it goes and go from there. Remember that stocks are held for a long time: if you are going for a quick profit may I suggest roulette wheel instead?
Hey, at least you have a plan and are committed to unemotionally implementing it, that's half the battle and puts you ahead of a lot of others. I disagree with some of your definitions here and there but at least you're going to learn something and have a chance to capitalize on that knowledge. Round four of quantitative easing might kill the dollar for good for the world though so how far the market can fall is still relatively undefined potentially depending on how the reaction to this round plays out, others swore round two would put the bullet in the dollar before and yet here we are surpassing cash injections now that make the other three rounds previously look like a children's party game by comparison.
View attachment 1199061

How much further do you think Mouse Corp will drop before things swing back up? I'm tempted to bite.
They fucked up Star Wars income streams in six years of ownership, there is no limit to the floor since that's the case and Iger is leaving which means new 52 week lows are in play soon too. How does their balance sheet look? What is their cash flow situation?

View attachment 1199453
Look at all that ESPN in the main circle. Cord cutting is eating them alive and it won't stop.

Reactions: Tonto
Tags
None