Stock Market, Business, and Investing General - News, Tips, etc

TerminalTryHard

Use your fucking blinker
kiwifarms.net
Narrator: it wasn't.

That being said, are you aware of any alternatives that ostensibly offer the same thing?

What are you actually trying to achieve that has you thinking about investing in TIPS?
Not really. I've been doing some research and have been looking at mutual funds centered around commodities.

I'm trying to save and protect some money from inflation. Not trying to be a doomer but I just don't feel confident about the next few years.

What I really want to do is build a fund for my kids education, since I'd rather not send her to public school.

Not really. I've been doing some research and have been looking at mutual funds centered around commodities.

I'm trying to save and protect some money from inflation. Not trying to be a doomer but I just don't feel confident about the next few years.

What I really want to do is build a fund for my kids education, since I'd rather not send her to public school.

You are right to be worried and are on the right path. I'm happy to hear your daughter has a father seriously looking out for her future.

Are you based in the U.S. and planning on staying there until she would finish school? How much money are you looking to invest or protect? Would you or are you able to make a lump-sum investment or are you looking to add to your position(s) periodically?

TerminalTryHard

Use your fucking blinker
kiwifarms.net
You are right to be worried and are on the right path. I'm happy to hear your daughter has a father seriously looking out for her future.

Are you based in the U.S. and planning on staying there until she would finish school? How much money are you looking to invest or protect? Would you or are you able to make a lump-sum investment or are you looking to add to your position(s) periodically?
We'd be staying for the foreseeable future, yes.

I'm planning on making an initial deposit of a few thousand but continue to add a little bit each month.

Spasticus Autisticus

kiwifarms.net

Forget TIPS, those are for institutional investors. Series I Savings Bonds are the inflation protected investment for the little guy. They have a purchase limit of $10k per year per SSN. They pay interest linked to the CPI but unlike TIPS they can never have a negative real rate and never lose principal. And if you cash them out to pay for education expenses, the interest can be tax free. The only real gotcha is that you can't cash them out within the first year of buying them, so don't use money you might need within the year.

Last edited:

TerminalTryHard

Use your fucking blinker
kiwifarms.net
Two more questions: what is your time horizon? Are you willing to spend time doing research or are you looking for a set-it-and-forget-it type of investment?
Roughly four years. I don't mind doing research but I'm not looking for something that will require micromanaging if that makes sense.

Roughly four years. I don't mind doing research but I'm not looking for something that will require micromanaging if that makes sense.

If your investment horizon is only 4 years, I would recommend not investing at all. Having the market tank when you need the money to pay for your daughter's education would prevent you from reaching the goal that made you consider investing in the first place.

Series I Savings Bonds are probably most suited to your needs and goal.

Blake Chortles

kiwifarms.net
Buy up all the oil stock you can. Oil industry is about to print trillions of dollars in profit.
Not to toot my own horn but i suggested this a few weeks ago (invested 10k in exxon) and holy fuck is it printing.

Its still got a lot of room. Pre pandemic it was in the 80s and the recovery combined with the Democrats insane hatred of energy independence will drive it still higher. It was in the low 100s during obamas fuckery.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
If your investment horizon is only 4 years, I would recommend not investing at all. Having the market tank when you need the money to pay for your daughter's education would prevent you from reaching the goal that made you consider investing in the first place.
I dont get it... the next 18 months will be perfect to invest. ARKK blows up the market right now there will be plenty of opportunities to pick up STAAAAAWKS for cheap till the GOP takes the house and the Senate in 2022. after that there will be a soft recovery till 2024 with more opportunities to shape your portfolio for the 2025 rally after Trump returns to the white house.

HOMO FOR LIFE

flaunting her autism like a title of nobility
kiwifarms.net
Not to toot my own horn but i suggested this a few weeks ago (invested 10k in exxon) and holy fuck is it printing.

Its still got a lot of room. Pre pandemic it was in the 80s and the recovery combined with the Democrats insane hatred of energy independence will drive it still higher. It was in the low 100s during obamas fuckery.
Yeah. Energy and gas is now 50% of my portfolio.

My guidance for 2021 and 2022 is very simple right now. A high oil price means slow recovery. Smart money will start allocating their capital to energy sector but this time cautiously and smartly. Energy companies will not be expanding their production well into 2022. Why? Because they got fucked hard between 2017-2019.

Oil will hit $80 per barrel by summer. Possibly $120 by fall. And then dip somewhere $90

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
My guidance for 2021 and 2022 is very simple right now. A high oil price means slow recovery. Smart money will start allocating their capital to energy sector but this time cautiously and smartly. Energy companies will not be expanding their production well into 2022. Why? Because they got fucked hard between 2017-2019.
Problem is that without Trump, Opec can just open the gates like they wanted to for the last 4 years. they have price control again.