subs vs. dubs -

WeWuzFinns

Armed with the cap of flame and goggles of speed.
kiwifarms.net
I cannot fathom how anyone would cuck their favorite animu watching experience to such an extent that they would want to spend a significant portion of its running time having their eyes glued to the bottom of their screens. All anime is undeniably cringe and you are deliberately obscuring this to yourself by listening it in a foreign language. The quality of original language cope relies entirely on tactical relativism where few low-quality dubs define the entire genre.

No doubt the entirety of anime community are pedophiles because they have conditioned their subconsciousness's into looking down for content.
maximum_autism.png

If this thread already exists it is because null is a shit coder or I'm a shit searcher. If it does, merge it up jannie.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Personally, I can never see myself watching something like Fullmetal Alchemist (original and Brotherhood) subbed. The setting is inspired by Europe and frankly, the voice cast is too iconic to me. Although it could also be nostalgia.

All Cops Are Based

kiwifarms.net
My main problem with the dub industry is they spam the same 20 or so VAs in the casting of pretty much every show. And barely any of them can actually act or emote beyond these "im le edgy cool man," "i'm sultry," "i'm gruff," etc. typecast affectations.
Shamefully, I do the weeb thing and stick to subs for everything. Unless it's Garzey's Wing or something where the dub makes it really funny

Lone MacReady

Manu et Ferrem
kiwifarms.net
Personally, I can never see myself watching something like Fullmetal Alchemist (original and Brotherhood) subbed. The setting is inspired by Europe and frankly, the voice cast is too iconic to me. Although it could also be nostalgia.
It's that factor which keeps Black Lagoon eternally dubbed for me along with a few others, I like accented cursing.
That said, the recent Vic events and cringey revelations about the dub/licensing houses and what their political injections mean for the industry has sworn me off that middleman forever. Just support the source, bleed the west dry.

Niggerman

Niggerman did nothing wrong
kiwifarms.net
Few of the older animes have pretty good dubs but the newer ones are pretty shit. Stick to subs for the newer ones

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
kiwifarms.net
I usually watch dubs because, being an English speaker, I have more of a grasp on the quality of the acting and language mechanics. I'll watch subtitled live-action movies and media with realistic artstyles like Yakuza, but because anime's lip flaps are very generic and most conversation scenes have little to no movement, it's harder for me to get invested in the performances when it's in a language I'm unfamiliar with and there's no movement to inflect the dialogue. There are always exceptions, like Fist of the North Star which is arguably more iconic because it's only in Japanese, but if I'm gonna watch an anime I'd rather it be in English.

Not to mention most Japanese voice actresses have ear-splitting voices that grate on my nerves after a while.

Absolutego

Middleman who didn't do diddly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Having a hard line either way is retarded. If the dub is good, I'll watch with the dub. If the dub sucks, I'll watch with subs. It's not like it's super hard to find out which is the case, weebs screech endlessly about bad dubs.

Dysnomia

Is Reimu gonna have to smack a bitch?
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes it depends on what I saw first. But if I want to rewatch an animu a second time I usually watch the version I didn't see.

With Welcome to the NHK I thought the dub was more entertaining. Sato freaking out in English was much better.

I watch just about everything with subtitles on. TV and movies alike. It can be pretty loud here so I miss stuff. Plus I want to know exactly what is being said. Some people talk fast or have accents I can't understand. You also get song lyrics to background music sometimes. Which is nice. I watch a lot of foreign films too.

If you watch enough subtitled media you will not have a problem. Your brain is capable of adjusting. You don't have to look down. I don't know why people say that. I can see the whole scene plus read at the same time. It's probably good for your brain too. I'm an avid multi-tasker to begin with. Maybe people that aren't have a harder time?

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Living It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It really depends on the quality of the dub for me. I’m not completely retarded, so I can read subs fast enough for it to not be an issue, but I also don’t understand Japanese so things like timing and certain jokes can fly under the radar.
Most dubs, they’re pretty shitty. Some though, I think surpass the sub. Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt is an amazing dub, the back and forth between the sisters was perfectly done, the voices were on point, and it legit felt like it could have been an originally English show. FMA was done well too, as was Cowboy Bebop. It really depends on the show and personal taste, so it’s a weird debate.

M0JY0

kiwifarms.net
I prefer to watch media in its original language. I would recommend someone to watch anime in Japanese for the same reasons I would recommend someone to watch a Quentin Tarantino movie in English, for example. Dubs can really ruin the raw emotions of some scenes and that breaks the immersion for me.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
I grew up watching dubs, but imo, I think today they tend to sound completely samey, not helped by Funimation and Netflix hiring the same actors over and over again and giving them sub-standard direction (if the actior him/herself isn't just shit at their job).

I do watch subs, but the Japanese honestly have the same issues as the US. Sure there's more actors to cull from, but 9 times out of 10 it's going to be the same few newbies and a handful of the older vets with maybe one or two reoccuring no-names to provide minor characters, background bit parts, or if they're extremely lucky, the lead.

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
Subs are almost always better. The only examples I can think of where the dub is better are Samurai Pizza Cats and Dragon Ball (granny Goku is the most painful voice ever).

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My main problem with the dub industry is they spam the same 20 or so VAs in the casting of pretty much every show. And barely any of them can actually act or emote beyond these "im le edgy cool man," "i'm sultry," "i'm gruff," etc. typecast affectations.
Shamefully, I do the weeb thing and stick to subs for everything. Unless it's Garzey's Wing or something where the dub makes it really funny
This, the entire industry has been using the same awful VAs for like 15 years and they are so prevalent that (seemingly) every dub for years more or less has the same cringy people in it. Any time I try watching a dub it has the same people who can't act that I hated the last time I tried to watch a dub. I don't understand why the industry is like that, if it's laziness, favoritism, or they think people like them (or people actually like them?)

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
kiwifarms.net
Authentic anime is in japanese voices, you can't argue with that. Dubs are cringe and censor stuff.
If you prefer dubs, you aren't a true fan.

And what's up with bs of not being able to follow both subs and anime? I had problems with that when I was a tween. Now I set a series to 2x the speed, if it's boring.
Practice your reading skills, tard.