subs vs. dubs -

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
sometimes you get a flcl where the dubs are on par with the jap va. then you get things like shirobako where the dubs surpass the jap va. then you get the rest where the jap > dub acting.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dubs are typically awful trash contracted out to the lowest possible talent for a piddling amount of money. Western VAs, especially anime, can't fucking act. And they never hire good VAs.

There ARE exceptions to this. Black Lagoon as mentioned, Cowboy Bebop is another.
This, the entire industry has been using the same awful VAs for like 15 years and they are so prevalent that (seemingly) every dub for years more or less has the same cringy people in it. Any time I try watching a dub it has the same people who can't act that I hated the last time I tried to watch a dub. I don't understand why the industry is like that, if it's laziness, favoritism, or they think people like them (or people actually like them?)
Because one company, Funamation, typically handles pretty much most, if not all of the dubbing and they have a stable of VAs they use. They're cheap, they're known and they can churn out content. I've always wondered why they don't hire vidya voice actors and such, but the key is the monopolization of licensing rights. Because of that, you get like the same 20 VAs who can't act worth a fucking shit, who never improve because there's no competition on every fucking dub using the same fucking voice.

And if a Jap VA can't act, its slightly harder to tell than an American or English one where you notice every single mistake they're making.

Superman93

Give me 1000 dollars.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dubs are typically awful trash contracted out to the lowest possible talent for a piddling amount of money. Western VAs, especially anime, can't fucking act. And they never hire good VAs.

There ARE exceptions to this. Black Lagoon as mentioned, Cowboy Bebop is another.
And Deadman Wonderland:

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
I think you contradicted yourself there with the whole "Western VAs are trash" and "they never hire good ones" remark. If all of them are trash, then how can they be good?

Because one company, Funamation, typically handles pretty much most, if not all of the dubbing and they have a stable of VAs they use. They're cheap, they're known and they can churn out content. I've always wondered why they don't hire vidya voice actors and such, but the key is the monopolization of licensing rights. Because of that, you get like the same 20 VAs who can't act worth a fucking shit, who never improve because there's no competition on every fucking dub using the same fucking voice.
It's because of what you said, they're cheap. Sure there's some overlap here and there, though mostly LA VAs, as Texas VAs barely have anything that isn't Smite or Splosion Man. Which is probably why Funimation's starting to not only outsource dubs to LA, but bring on LA and New York talent because even they seem to realize it's getting tiresome hearing the same couple dozen voices. It's a shame that the LA pool does the same, and New York, and even Vancouver, were built on using the same small voice pools.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I respect that the director didn't expect you to look down at words every other second, but
a) most anime is, like, three frames per minute so you don't miss anything a lot of times
b) most English dubs are ass shit crap

when a dub is well-done, and when they keep the same cast through all the iterations of the franchise, I'm usually fine with USA English dubs
it also helps when I was into a work before it was animated
like I prefer dub Nartuo because I was reading Naruto before there was an anime, so I never had any particular attachment to the Japanese cast