Super Smash Bros. -

jellycar

Now featuring 100% more Natasha Romanoff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh god apparently people are sending death threats and racist tweets to Sakurai and telling him to retire.

It makes sense why Three Houses was included.

Also kind of ironic people are complaining about yet another sword user (despite the obvious differences in moveset) want characters like Sora, 2B, etc..........who use swords.

Sigma

Eighteen Inches
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh god apparently people are sending death threats and racist tweets to Sakurai and telling him to retire.

It makes sense why Three Houses was included.

Also kind of ironic people are complaining about yet another sword user (despite the obvious differences in moveset) want characters like Sora, 2B, etc..........who use swords.
At this point, it's not so much that he uses a sword. It's that they added yet another self insert avatar fire emblem character after expectations were set very high after the previous DLC characters who were all third party except this one.

Tad Loaf

kiwifarms.net
At this point, it's not so much that he uses a sword. It's that they added yet another self insert avatar fire emblem character after expectations were set very high after the previous DLC characters who were all third party except this one.
The time to introduce this was in the summer when the reveals were more close together.
Making people wait half a year for the final reveal just for it to be another FE character was like setting it up to piss people off as much as possible.

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
It's not like I'm 100% happy of course- they added all those tracks and forgot God Shattering Star! Soccer Guy is bad and should feel bad!

Wonder if e3 is early enough to announce the first one of the next pack, even if it's just the start of development...

the autist of dojima

Unlimited bait works
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The first ultimate dlc was a joke character though

Reactions: HIVidaBoheme

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
I like that we are getting indie representation through Mii costumes.
Some people are going to go "literally who?", but I think there's an excellent chance we'll be seeing a fighter costume for Trace from the first Axiom Verge. In particular because the sequel comes out later this year and it's a Switch exclusive at this time.

And since the gates have been opened for returning franchises, apparently I'm the first one to say this (and unironically want it) but we better see some fucking PC Octoling echoes now. I don't care they're already a spirit, so are the NPC ones. Use different pictures, boom, done.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to break down exactly why this is so infuriating for many people, because there's a lot more to unpack here than just "Another fucking FE character."

First of which is the fact that the franchise was on the brink of death not even a decade ago, yet it somehow has as many characters as Mario and more than Zelda when other, much larger series with a far more varied history in both the gaming world and in Smash (like DK and Kirby) have half as much or less.

It's the third dual-gendered generic avatar character in a row. It was a breath of fresh air at first after the string of main character lords (Ike notwithstanding) but now it's become its own issue of repetitiveness.

This is the third advertisement character for FE. First was Roy (who's game wasn't even out yet when Melee released and was a Japanese-only title), then Corrin (Fates was only out in Japan at the time of reveal) and now Byleth (who's game isn't even a year old yet). The only other franchise to have this kind of pattern is Pokemon, and it's an infinitely bigger franchise. To add further onto this, other characters got snubbed specifically because they were too soon, like Rex and Spring Man, yet FE gets a free pass for the second game in a row because it's just that inexplicably special.

From a design standpoint, Byleth isn't much different from his contemporaries in both form and function. The fifth blue haired twink of the franchise, and despite what people will try to say the moveset isn't all that unique. Like the rest of the DLC crew a lot of his moves are lifted from others (Link's bow, Simon's whip, Joker's grapple, ect.), the only truly distinct trait his has is the lance. On top of this, the "Swordsman who uses a more than a sword" bit they touted has already been done by FE characters before, twice.

And finally, there's the elephant in the room of how they duped people out of their money. It was 100% deliberate that Byleth was the last character of the pass, because they knew damn well fans were gonna be pissed after the hell raised over Corrin, so they sneakily put him at the end after all the hype characters, when most will have already bought the full pass and can't decide to just not buy Byleth because the money was already taken months ago.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
It's the opposite actually, it's far more popular in the west than Japan.

Gotta brush up on your history then. Nintendo has outright stated that Fire Emblem was almost completely abandoned because of how bad sales were prior to Awakening.
It only almost died once and that was because of it trying to become a console series with terrible release timings like a 2005 Gamecube title when the Gamecube was out the door in a year and during a generation when the PS2 was dominating, and a wii game that came out shortly before Mario Galaxy came out. Fire Emblem was just doomed at that point and the remakes of Fire Emblem 1 and 3 (Marth's games) didn't do terribly well and only one of them came outside of Japan.

Also the criteria to save the franchise was so stupidly low that saying Awakening saved it would be a exaggerating how big of an accomplishment that is, they only needed 250,000 units worldwide on the 3DS. Now Awakening made the franchise popular, that much is undeniable, but it saving the franchise isn't as big as you'd think.

• Agree
Reactions: Agent Wet

Disc

A Dubious Disc indeed.
kiwifarms.net
And finally, there's the elephant in the room of how they duped people out of their money. It was 100% deliberate that Byleth was the last character of the pass, because they knew damn well fans were gonna be pissed after the hell raised over Corrin, so they sneakily put him at the end after all the hype characters, when most will have already bought the full pass and can't decide to just not buy Byleth because the money was already taken months ago.
> People buy a season pass for $25 of 5 characters when they don't know the full content
> 4 of the characters turn out to be 'hype' characters, brand new additions from wildly different franchises. Each costs $6.00 and comes with stage and ~10 pieces of music including remixes
> Even the least hype character comes with 50 songs
> 1 is a 'bad' character in concept even though they've clearly got a different system, come from an award-winning game and come with the same amount of content.
> DUPED SCAMMED NEVER AGAIN $AKUROBBER

Dude, assuming you wouldn't buy Byleth independently, and you bought each pack on their own without the pass, you got 'duped' out of 1 dollar - and that's not counting the Rex outfit that's bundled with the pass, which would account for the last dollar. Or like, less than a buck and a half canadian. We've been given no reason to believe this character had less effort put into it than the others.

If you're gonna be THAT mad that they only got 4/5 hype characters, don't buy a blind pack that could include literally anything and then complain that there was one old flavour in it.

Overcooked Raccoon

Robotnik is still the bae.
kiwifarms.net
> People buy a season pass for $25 of 5 characters when they don't know the full content
> 4 of the characters turn out to be 'hype' characters, brand new additions from wildly different franchises. Each costs $6.00 and comes with stage and ~10 pieces of music including remixes
> 1 is a 'bad' character in concept even though they've clearly got a different system, come from an award-winning game and come with the same amount of content.

Dude, assuming you wouldn't buy Byleth independently, and you bought each pack on their own without the pass, you got 'duped' out of 1 dollar - and that's not counting the Rex outfit that's bundled with the pass, which would account for the last dollar. Or like, less than a buck and a half canadian. We've been given no reason to believe this character had less effort put into it than the others.

If you're gonna be THAT mad that they only got 4/5 hype characters, don't buy a blind pack that could include literally anything and then complain that there was one old flavour in it.
Like if you look at this shit with current fighting game logic, it really makes the fighters pass look like a steal.

I worked at big retail game store during Ultimate's release, and even before Joker was announced and we knew this content would be in the game the pass itself is an insane deal so much so the majority of people were buying it with no knowledge of what we would get because it's fucking Smash Bros. With most fighting games releasing stand alone characters for $5-7 the fighters pass in itself was a good deal, but then you add in the new stages, music, and extra bonuses(like spirit board lmao) and it does make it an amazing deal even to someone not interested in Smash.

A lot of people need to understand Nintendo were the people who picked out these characters, I'm sure Sakurai had a say in some things but in interviews he did state the choices were made by Nintendo. You can really tell from how Sakurai acted that Joker and Terry were the two he personally wanted since he went absolutely gaga over the two of them and Nintendo def threw Sega and SNK(SNK especially considering the amount of porting they do for the Switch over any other system) a bone to work with them.

An FE rep for the most recent game was inevitable but it also gives us more ground to state Ultimate will continue to be supported as the recent figher pass two had a note at the bottom saying that all characters in the pass would be released by Dec 31 2021.

Never thought I would see the day Smash Bros puts out a better DLC model then most AAA fighting games, but they absolutely nail it with these packs. There's gonna be misses in them (like Byleth for me) but that just means it can only get better. I think more people need to keep that in mind and just not consider Pass 1 to be the end all be all.

Sigma

Eighteen Inches
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Regaedless of whether you think it was a "scam" or not, all his other points are absolutely true.

Reactions: Vault Boy

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Why does Nintendo Promote fire Emblem and not Xenoblade?

Fire Emblem is crap when compared to other existing SRPG franchises.
I'm not sure I would consider Xenoblade and Fire Emblem the same "type" of RPG, they're pretty different and Xenoblade has the issue of being inconsistent with itself. Fire Emblem has a lot more going for it from a momentum perspective. Fire Emblem has several really popular titles across various Nintendo consoles, most notably a large presence on Nintendo's mobile offerings. Fire Emblem is a "strategy" RPG, a genre it basically owns at this point - Shining Force, FF Tactics, Advance Wars are all kind of dead in the water. It's also (allegedly) the one Nintendo Mobile game that isn't 100% garbage.

Xenoblade I'm not sure I'd put in the "strategy" category, it's more of a traditional/modern RPG to me (outside of Xenoblade Chronicles X).

No idea at this point, I hope..we get a Fire Emblem NPC badguy called "Swordguy" just to piss off the people salty about Fire Emblem.
I'm not sure how serious you are, but Fire Emblem has a tradition of (initially) generic bad guys like "Black Knight", "Flame Emperor" and "Cloaked Figure" that they could slide in.

Raziel_

kiwifarms.net
Some people are going to go "literally who?", but I think there's an excellent chance we'll be seeing a fighter costume for Trace from the first Axiom Verge. In particular because the sequel comes out later this year and it's a Switch exclusive at this time.
Based. I didn't think there would've been other people (aside from literally 2 other fans I talk to sometimes) to hope for this.
Anyway yesterday evening I was just thinking about this and I reasoned that, considering that AV has garnered a decent amount of popularity, for an indie game, and has always been highly praised, and that it's getting a sequel on a popular console this year, which I believe will increase its popularity even more... If we are lucky, I think we may get AT LEAST a Spirit (certainly Trace, and if more than one, then I'd say Elsenova and Athetos).
But I wouldn't be that sure about a fighter costume or even assist trophy, mostly because, so far, they've only included characters from VERY popular games (going up against Shovel Knight, Cuphead and fucking Sans). I mean, maybe a miracle will happen and thanks to the sequel it will become popular enough for that, but it's still kind of a dream...
Having remixes of the soundtrack and a stage based off of Sudra would be absolutely amazing though.

• Agree
Reactions: DogEatDogFood
Tags
None