Super Smash Bros. -

1911JD

Still tired of this shit but slightly less so
kiwifarms.net
There's like zero reasons to keep them secret though.

It's like they're trying to use them to just fill time since they have nothing to announce.
I think part of the reason is just to keep communities thriving. Smash reveals have become these huge events that everyone loves and predicting who among the entire universe of gaming could be the next representative appears to be a favorite pastime among Smash fans, so I think keeping them secret for that reason alone makes it worth it.

I could have done with a teaser for the next fighter though. But waiting does make it kinda fun tbh.

Then again, December of 2021 is when they promise to have everyone out, so maybe the "fill time" thing might have some credence to it. Sakurai did say that they already decided the characters, so I don't know.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I think part of the reason is just to keep communities thriving. Smash reveals have become these huge events that everyone loves and predicting who among the entire universe of gaming could be the next representative appears to be a favorite pastime among Smash fans, so I think keeping them secret for that reason alone makes it worth it.

I could have done with a teaser for the next fighter though. But waiting does make it kinda fun tbh.
So you're saying that Nintendo willingly promotes and induces leukemia then.

_01

01101001 01000001 01101101 00110000 00110001
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's like zero reasons to keep them secret though.

It's like they're trying to use them to just fill time since they have nothing to announce.
1579573877858.png

Whether or not you as a consumer like or dislike the picks being kept secret until a month before their release, keeping it on the down low generates free buzz and attention for each and every announcement. If it was announced all at once, people would quickly lose interest and only pay attention to the game the moment the characters are released, and the excitement would only last for a minimal amount of time. As a company, you want to generate as much intrigue in your product for as long and as cheaply as possible.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1107412

Whether or not you as a consumer like or dislike the picks being kept secret until a month before their release, keeping it on the down low generates free buzz and attention for each and every announcement. If it was announced all at once, people would quickly lose interest and only pay attention to the game the moment the characters are released, and the excitement would only last for a minimal amount of time. As a company, you want to generate as much intrigue in your product for as long and as cheaply as possible.
I'm aware but it's literally consoomer level empty head bullshit.

It's like Imagine dragging out e3 announcements for nine months when people can barely tolerate it for 3 days.

Disc

A Dubious Disc indeed.
kiwifarms.net
I'm aware but it's literally consoomer level empty head bullshit.

It's like Imagine dragging out e3 announcements for nine months when people can barely tolerate it for 3 days.
Or like the PS5 announcement being literally just a logo. Or Atlus constantly making announcements for announcements.

This isn't anything exclusive to Nintendo, it's just the most likely to spread to other communites because Smash bros is the biggest crossover game around.

Your hateboner is so over-the-top, it might actually be reaching it's peak length of 2 inches. If getting Smash in your vision triggers you this much, make a filter or something.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Or like the PS5 announcement being literally just a logo. Or Atlus constantly making announcements for announcements.

This isn't anything exclusive to Nintendo, it's just the most likely to spread to other communites because Smash bros is the biggest crossover game around.

Your hateboner is so over-the-top, it might actually be reaching it's peak length of 2 inches. If getting Smash in your vision triggers you this much, make a filter or something.
Those are all full games or something larger, they also don't drag them out for years with new teasers unless the game is in development hell.

These smash announcements are for DLC and not a brand new game. Console launches are a big deal but we already know that the PS5 is coming this november.

Disc

A Dubious Disc indeed.
kiwifarms.net
Those are all full games or something larger, they also don't drag them out for years with new teasers unless the game is in development hell.

These smash announcements are for DLC and not a brand new game. Console launches are a big deal but we already know that the PS5 is coming this november.
Like I said earlier, people take the DLC as signs that the involved companies are willing to collaborate, and that therefore if an unexpected character shows up, it means that their game/series might be coming to switch. That's why crossovers generate hype.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Like I said earlier, people take the DLC as signs that the involved companies are willing to collaborate, and that therefore if an unexpected character shows up, it means that their game/series might be coming to switch. That's why crossovers generate hype.
And once the game series comes to the switch nobody will fucking buy it.

just like the last half dozen times....

You have zero fucking excuses for not buying Dragon Quest 11 and having it sell that badly. Like Square Enix went out of their way for the switch port only for it to be one of their worst selling games in years.

These people are not really interested in games, they want nostalgia and faux nostalgia merch and social media asspats.

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
It's not like Dragon Quest where it sets out to do something simple and refines it down to a sharp edge, Nintendo is taking mario in the direction where he just exists to sell merch and the games can be punched in by a machine.
I think it's both. mario odyssey felt bland in half the levels but it's mechanically perfect. I want modders to build every mario game in that engine.

View attachment 1107412

On a financial basis they made the best decision with all the data and experience the industry has built up over the years. and it's really not a big deal. but still, these sort of tactics have the reverse effect for me. hype building is all so hollow nowadays. the point itself is hype, rather than showing off your game and hype builds organically from that. it's not a huge distinction, but it makes a difference. everything feel less genuine. yeah I get it's a product and marketing has always been evil. but this shit feels like it's gotten gradually worse since the ps2 era, really starting to pick up midway through the 360 era.

I'm know I'm getting a little off topic here (this is the paper mario thread right?), but people in marketing are the lowest form of life on earth and should all be launched into the sun. and they get worse continuously and gradually enough that nobody gives a fuck what they do to media and culture. I'd like to think there's a point where trying to maximize profits and length of interest in a title would start to backfire, but the idea of multiple season passes was normalized so quickly I think they could probably game the system as far as they want and nobody would care. they dont even do any of this on purpose, they just react to external stimuli like a starfish. do x get money. do xy get more money. say z do xy get moreOH HEY LOOK ALGAE ON A ROCK.

not that I'm saying nintendo is the worst at this or that this byleth thing is anything worse than a very mild disappointment. you just inspired me to go off on a tangent.

but yeah how bout them smash brothers.

_01

01101001 01000001 01101101 00110000 00110001
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
While I wish the final dlc of the pass was from a new series, if Byleth is fun to fight as, I'll play him.
Despite nearly all of them stemming from the same archetype save for the avatars, Fire Emblem characters are fun.

As for the avatars, they feel really bad just because of how slow they are. Byleth looks to also be slow, which may make them less fun to play.

• Feels
Reactions: HIVidaBoheme

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
At this point, I'm less annoyed by Byleth himself and more at the community's reaction to him. While yes it's always been and always will be full of sperging, things were at relative peace for quite a while and everyone was having a good time with each reveal, like one big online party that just kept getting bigger every time. Only major upset was due to the infamous Grinch leak and not any official reveal. Hell even competitive has been the most peaceful it's been in years thanks to the remarkable balance with no clear breakaways like Brawl Meta Knight or 4 Bayo.

Then they just had to throw in the one thing that would cause all of that to self-destruct and we're right back to the Smash 4 DLC dark ages where it's nothing but constant shit-flinging and name-calling all over again. At least there's 6 more to leap off from this low point though, so unlike 4 it's not ending on a brown note.

Tags
None